ADVERTISEMENT

Another transfer denial by the NCAA...

litespeedhuskerfan

Nebraska Legend
Aug 27, 2006
Walker for the Tarheels...he even cited mental health reasons.

Not familiar with the back story but I cannot help but wonder if these rulings are going to make a lot of kids rethink their second transfer decision.

...he still has 2 years of eligibility FWIW

Reactions: dinglefritz
Do you think if Gilbert got his transfer approved would he still broke into the vape store?

NCAA is going to burn to the ground for this. They are either tone deaf or don't care but either way, this is going to end up as a multi million dollar case.

It will go like this

"NCAA, when you denied the waiver, what mental health checkups had you done on the player, oh, none? You just assumed he was lying, oh okay. I rest my case"

Lionel Hutz would win this case.

Do you think if Gilbert got his transfer approved would he still broke into the vape store?
No, I don't.

The kid was left twisting in the wind. Shit, they did not even deny his waiver, they just let it sit there on a desk. People want to know what is going on with their life and people that suffer from mental health issues NEED to know what is going on with their life.

It should be handled appropriately, of course, but I'm sure the NCAA is suspicious of people trying to use mental health as a reason to be immediately eligible. I'm sure it's in the "handbook" to use that reason....

It should be handled appropriately, of course, but I'm sure the NCAA is suspicious of people trying to use mental health as a reason to be immediately eligible. I'm sure it's in the "handbook" to use that reason....
But that is not their job! Their job is not to assume people are lying. They literally have no reason to be suspicious because it doesn't impact them at all.

It would be like if you saw your neighbor was home from work and the next day you said "Hey, saw you were home yesterday, did you have the day off?" and he said "Tell you what, my mind was just a mess, I just needed time to sit and destress"

And then you go home and text your friends that you don't believe your neighbor has issues with stress...

It doesn't impact you at all so why would you operate from that starting point? You wouldn't, because you are a normal person.

The NCAA needs to operate the same. They need to stop assuming kids are lying.

Reactions: BleedRed78
It is like your wife/girlfriend says "I am headed out to Target" and you immediately assume she is ****ing two other dudes because you have a small dong and suck at ****ing.

Just not a good place to start from.

Also, my girlfriend has been out at Target for awhile now. Hmmmm

• Haha
Reactions: HuskerDana
Believe JT Daniels is starting for his 4th or 5th team at QB this year

If this transfer request was the first time anyone ever head of his "mental health issues" ....then said player is well behind the eight ball to start and their chances probably go waaaay down...

Why is going to play football for another program assumed to help someone with alleged mental health challenges? Seems like an odd solution to that problem.

Reactions: baseball31ne
But that is not their job! Their job is not to assume people are lying. They literally have no reason to be suspicious because it doesn't impact them at all.

It would be like if you saw your neighbor was home from work and the next day you said "Hey, saw you were home yesterday, did you have the day off?" and he said "Tell you what, my mind was just a mess, I just needed time to sit and destress"

And then you go home and text your friends that you don't believe your neighbor has issues with stress...

It doesn't impact you at all so why would you operate from that starting point? You wouldn't, because you are a normal person.

The NCAA needs to operate the same. They need to stop assuming kids are lying.
It literally is their job though, they're supposed to make sure people follow the rules. And it's a member run organization, they can change the rules if the members agree....but as long as they have rules, then they're supposed to be enforced. And football is an optional activity, no one is stopping the kid from going to school anywhere he can be admitted.

Reactions: 8990
Arik Gilbert come on down...
come-on-down-fall-down.gif

Too soon?

This will be his third school now. And everybody knows that the more you quit things, the better off you are in the long run.
at his first school (FCS) the NCAA canceled the season due to covid (idiotic)

then he played in the MAC, now P5

logical steps. better competition every time. obvious upgrades. it's not quitting if you accept a promotion (duh)

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
No, I don't.

The kid was left twisting in the wind. Shit, they did not even deny his waiver, they just let it sit there on a desk. People want to know what is going on with their life and people that suffer from mental health issues NEED to know what is going on with their life.
The counter argument is kids citing bullshit ‘mental health’ reasons for their second transfer… there will be a monumental explosion in ‘mental disease’, lol…

Would suggest the alternative as them being allowed to take a year off from their existing commitment to focus on their mental health, like a medical redshirt, instead of allowing a second transfer.

It’ll become like receiving a ‘disability’ designation in real life. Only a very small % are actually ‘disabled’… they’re just taking advantage of a stupid system for their own financial gain.

Reactions: Huskers123456
They're crazy! I mean the NCAA, of course

The counter argument is kids citing bullshit ‘mental health’ reasons for their second transfer… there will be a monumental explosion in ‘mental disease’, lol…

Would suggest the alternative as them being allowed to take a year off from their existing commitment to focus on their mental health, like a medical redshirt, instead of allowing a second transfer.

It’ll become like receiving a ‘disability’ designation in real life. Only a very small % are actually ‘disabled’… they’re just taking advantage of a stupid system for their own financial gain.
Have you been seeing the increased push for so much to be a mental health issue in society over the last what 5-10 years? The increase isn’t all made up but there is less management and coping towards toughness being taught to people and more accepting it and manage with it. Sad to see.

I work with kids in different settings and since I began, at least where I have lived and worked, the mental toughness isn’t as deep and strong across the board.

Simple solution would be to go back to the old way. You have 5 years to play 4. You want to quit amd go to another school? No prob...but you sit a year. Zero exceotions...and your eligibility clock is running...want to quit again and go to another school? No problem...but you sit a year and the clock is ticking. You do that with zero exceptions (except if a kid is moving up or down in divisions in which case no sit rule) and you will almost instantly cure 90% of the claimed mental health issues. Now do I think this will happen? No..but it would serve the kids well in the long run.

Simple solution would be to go back to the old way. You have 5 years to play 4. You want to quit amd go to another school? No prob...but you sit a year. Zero exceotions...and your eligibility clock is running...want to quit again and go to another school? No problem...but you sit a year and the clock is ticking. You do that with zero exceptions (except if a kid is moving up or down in divisions in which case no sit rule) and you will almost instantly cure 90% of the claimed mental health issues. Now do I think this will happen? No..but it would serve the kids well in the long run.
I think the issue people had with this is that coaches can leave whenever. Most kids commit to a coach / coaching staff.

If their mentor(s) leave, why should they have to stick around with some staff they don't know?

I think the issue people had with this is that coaches can leave whenever. Most kids commit to a coach / coaching staff.

If their mentor(s) leave, why should they have to stick around with some staff they don't know?
Because they committed to a school not a coach

I have no stats I can point to that can back up what i'm about to claim...but I suspect if you looked up every transfer portal kid since the portal has been in existence, 90% of coaches are still at the school the kid comitted to. That is a cop out and to take it further....can you imagine an entire team walking out the door just because they got a new coach? That would be devastating to most programs and nobody is saying the kid can't transfer...you just can't do it and play without sitting a year.

Reactions: WHCSC
I don’t get the animosity toward transferring at all

Everyone in America can do what they want to try and make their lives better except college football players?

Get a grip

Reactions: leodisflowers
I think the worst thing you can give a 19 or 20 y/o kid is, everything they want...but I'm not losing any sleep over kids that transfer, i'm not mad at em...I want the best for players. I want all of them to have a good college experience, get a good job after college or make it in the NFL. I'm rooting for all of them and there is something to be said to over comming adversity and becoming an adult who''s prepping for for life after football and becoming productive members of society.

I think the worst thing you can give a 19 or 20 y/o kid is, everything they want...but I'm not losing any sleep over kids that transfer, i'm not mad at em...I want the best for players. I want all of them to have a good college experience, get a good job after college or make it in the NFL. I'm rooting for all of them and there is something to be said to over comming adversity and becoming an adult who''s prepping for for life after football and becoming productive members of society.
I would bet there are less college football players running afoul of the law today than in days past

And I know for a fact there are more college football players paying taxes & making financial decisions today than ever before

Being stuck in a dead end situation or working for a dickhead boss for 5 years isn’t overcoming adversity. It’s idiotic.

I would make fun of every single adult who willingly stuck out those miserable situations instead of finding something new.

Is there a rule in college football that transfers don’t have to work as hard as 3rd/4th/5th year kids in a program? Because it’s likely the opposite.

I have no stats I can point to that can back up what i'm about to claim...but I suspect if you looked up every transfer portal kid since the portal has been in existence, 90% of coaches are still at the school the kid comitted to. That is a cop out and to take it further....can you imagine an entire team walking out the door just because they got a new coach? That would be devastating to most programs and nobody is saying the kid can't transfer...you just can't do it and play without sitting a year.
I'm not saying I agree with it, but what the argument is as to why players shouldn't have to sit.

Coaches don't have to sit out a year when jumping schools (this is true for anything else in life EXCEPT college sports), so why should players? Again, just the argument presented.

Reactions: king_kong_
further....can you imagine an entire team walking out the door just because they got a new coach?
I see what you're saying but I don't think that would ever happen. There wouldn't be enough scholarship availability for most of those kids who would leave. I don't think most would risk a sure thing.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but what the argument is as to why players shouldn't have to sit.

Coaches don't have to sit out a year when jumping schools (this is true for anything else in life EXCEPT college sports), so why should players? Again, just the argument presented.
This is the question that nobody that is against tranfers will touch on or answer. Coaches can literally leave in the middle of the night IE Lane Kiffin for greener pastures. But damned if a student athlete does it. Makes no sense.

It's funny loyalty to said school is a one way street expected from 18-22 year olds. Shit ted Carter recently just left.

Btw I think transfers needs to play a big roll for NU to right this ship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT