ADVERTISEMENT

AM Podcast on 2021 & Leaving NU

king_kong_

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2021
here's the link, it's an hour-long interview. lots of detail about the broken jaw, less detail about other stuff

quote that stood out to me most was a very casual throwaway line while he was waxing poetic how our team and MSU were the exact same:

"...we were 3-9, or whatever we were.."

extremely casual about his mistakes, whether big (michigan game - refs didn't blow play dead) or small (minn game - could've pulled on read option a couple times for easy scores in 1H)

I'm very much looking forward to having a fiery leader under center after 4 years of casual play leading to a lot of losing

Stolen from another site:

High-Level Summary:

• Broke his jaw on the first drive of the Michigan State game. His life sucked afterward. Drinking steak through a straw. Felt like if they would've won that game their season would've been completely different... said "we're basically the same team." He'd never say bad things, but def salty vibes from the special teams snafu.
  • Michigan game was the most fun he's had playing in a football game. Thinks Aidan Hutchinson is impressive, but not THAT impressive. Ref told him after the fumble that he didn't know why no one blew the play dead, but it's not reviewable.
  • Poor locker room energy in the Purdue game, although he doesn't attribute the loss to that.
  • Got a high ankle sprain 4 days before the Minnesota game. That impacted the overall game plan, and he thinks it made a discernable difference.
  • VERY salty that Frost/ Gus Johnson spilled the beans on his broken jaw after the Ohio State game. He wanted the ability to tell that story himself. A lot of his family members didn't even know. Said he didn't think it was appropriate.
  • He feels responsible for Verdu getting fired. High tensions with Frost after the firings. Overall, said he did a good job explaining things, but it's a tough position. Some people understood, some people didn't.
  • Injured his shoulder/ labrum in the Wisconsin game right before the end of the first half. The second half was tough but still had a decent showing. Blamed his INT on the injury and wanted to get surgery ASAP after the game to save his NFL prospects.
  • He did test the NFL waters as part of his decision to leave NU. Made the decision to transfer to bolster his NFL prospects.
  • Needed a new opportunity, new scenery, new challenge.
  • Lots of love. Gave examples of security people hugging him, wishing him well, etc. He claims Frost wanted him to stay.
  • Coming back just didn't feel right. Too much baggage. The relationship had naturally concluded. Better for both him and Frost.
  • All the NU socials unfollowed him immediately lol.

says he really soaked it all in after losing to wisc - a hard-fought L that he's proud of & says they did whatever they wanted on offense all day long (again - they lost)

yucked it up pretty good when reminiscing about the INT he threw in the 2nd half of that wisc game, then said it felt more like his senior day than actual senior day did

says he really soaked it all in after losing to wisc - a hard-fought L that he's proud of & says they did whatever they wanted on offense all day long (again - they lost)

yucked it up pretty good when reminiscing about the INT he threw in the 2nd half of that wisc game, then said it felt more like his senior day than actual senior day did
He knows about the hard fought Ls

Reactions: king_kong_
Stolen from another site:

High-Level Summary:

• He did test the NFL waters as part of his decision to leave NU. Made the decision to transfer to bolster his NFL prospects.
  • Needed a new opportunity, new scenery, new challenge.
  • Lots of love. Gave examples of security people hugging him, wishing him well, etc. He claims Frost wanted him to stay.
  • Coming back just didn't feel right. Too much baggage. The relationship had naturally concluded. Better for both him and Frost.
Seems like AM leaving was his decision. As I suspected.

Reactions: c_broadus
Some interesting notes in there.
Overall, he’s a good guy who put a lot into his time here. I applaud him for that. Just couldn’t get over the hump, whether it was on him or the rest of the team.

Always important to remember the worst part of Adrian’s performance was that coaches failed to recruit over him. Playing injured only adds to that narrative.

Putting all emotion aside, objectively speaking, I’m happy we can turn the page and look forward to a new QB era.

Thanks for the synopsis, not going to listen as your highlights already pissed me off!

It's been said many times, but the truly great ones hate losing more than they love winning. We haven't had a team full of those guys for a long time.
nebraska-football-mike-riley.gif

Some interesting notes in there.
Overall, he’s a good guy who put a lot into his time here. I applaud him for that. Just couldn’t get over the hump, whether it was on him or the rest of the team.

Always important to remember the worst part of Adrian’s performance was that coaches failed to recruit over him. Playing injured only adds to that narrative.

Putting all emotion aside, objectively speaking, I’m happy we can turn the page and look forward to a new QB era.
After getting AM, Frost let Verdu recruit projects with athleticism rather than actual QBs with arms. And Frost fell in love with AM, despite his obvious lack winning instinct/determination. Frost has shown a clear blind spot for evaluating himself and his coaches. We’re talking about the QB position here, but we could have parallel discussions about OL, WR, RB and ST that would conclude on the same note.

Seems like AM leaving was his decision. As I suspected.
I'm not so sure

Verdu & the rest of the staff getting canned led to a lot of angst (Trev Alberts)

Frost asked him back (disappointing to hear), but he alluded to others not sharing the same sentiment (Trev Alberts)

AM may have 'made the decision' himself, but only after a bunch of dominos fell that certainly appear to have helped push him out the door

he also said how 'f*cked up' it was that all NU socials unfollowed him immediately after he announced his intent to leave (Trev Alberts)

I'm not so sure

Verdu & the rest of the staff getting canned led to a lot of angst (Trev Alberts)

Frost asked him back (disappointing to hear), but he alluded to others not sharing the same sentiment (Trev Alberts)

AM may have 'made the decision' himself, but only after a bunch of dominos fell that certainly appear to have helped push him out the door

he also said how 'f*cked up' it was that all NU socials unfollowed him immediately after he announced his intent to leave (Trev Alberts)

What are NU socials? Like the official school social media accounts?

Reactions: jsachisler
He seems like he cares more about who follows him on social media than whether he won or lost any particular games. You have to appreciate a guy who was handed a starting job for 4 years with zero competition and yet feels like he was wronged somehow. Will I be rooting for him to lose? Well, yeah, he plays for K-State doesn't he?

i've moved on and as i've said before, 'good luck to adrian at sku'.

here's to a very competitive qb race and a productive spring practice.
hoping (praying) the portal produces a couple lineman.
those are my only concerns at this time.

yes. all of them (official UNL, Huskers Athletics, etc.) apparently unfollowed AM immediately after he announced he was transferring.

I found this to be quite refreshing (Thanks, Trev!), he seemed butthurt by it.
hopefully it wasen't too immediately....like they had other stuff going on that was more important.

This. I said it a million times over the last couple of years. I’m sure that he would have preferred winning, but he never seem bothered by losing either. Like ‘oh well’
Completely disagree, and those of you who think so haven't spent enough time in locker rooms. There are all kinds of personalities on any team. People show their "fire/competitiveness" in different ways. The fact that he trotted out to play games with a broken jaw and other significant injuries tells me all I need to know about his "fire." His off-the-field persona has nothing to do with his desire to win.

Completely disagree, and those of you who think so haven't spent enough time in locker rooms. There are all kinds of personalities on any team. People show their "fire/competitiveness" in different ways. The fact that he trotted out to play games with a broken jaw and other significant injuries tells me all I need to know about his "fire." His off-the-field persona has nothing to do with his desire to win.
his decision, which he owns and I admire, to play with that injury is so much like the rest of his career at NU:

a seemingly extraordinary individual effort that ended up being a detriment to the team as a whole

A LOT of BS, a lot of half truths to flat out lies. Basically trying to make himself look as good as possible while lowkey to outright trashing guys who gave him every opportunity to not blow every winnable game he played in and tried to save his ass with the media.

The fact that he was trying to test the nfl waters and that Frost asked him to return is laughable. Verduzco would have been retained if there was any truth to that at all. Verduzco was fired so that the new guy could pick his QB in the portal. Frost wasn't bringing him back, whether he wanted to or not and that decision was made BEFORE Martinez even took his pads off for the last time. By the end I think Frost wanted to give someone else a shot anyway. 4 years is enough time for a QB to not make rookie mistakes every game.

Throwing them under the bus for disclosing his injuries is also laughable. It's downright disrespectful. They were tired of the fans and media laying so much at the feet of Martinez. And it was deserved, if there was ANY shot Martinez could have attempted to have a future playing somewhere (lol at the nfl) that needed to come out. He's not at KSU right now if that isn't disclosed before the end of the season.

Lot of nothing by a kid I respect for his toughness but who has a LOT to learn about football and life. Much more than a guy who has started 4 years of college football should need. Good luck to the kid but this isn't worth listening too.

A LOT of BS, a lot of half truths to flat out lies. Basically trying to make himself look as good as possible while lowkey to outright trashing guys who gave him every opportunity to not blow every winnable game he played in and tried to save his ass with the media.

The fact that he was trying to test the nfl waters and that Frost asked him to return is laughable. Verduzco would have been retained if there was any truth to that at all. Verduzco was fired so that the new guy could pick his QB in the portal. Frost wasn't bringing him back, whether he wanted to or not and that decision was made BEFORE Martinez even took his pads off for the last time. By the end I think Frost wanted to give someone else a shot anyway. 4 years is enough time for a QB to not make rookie mistakes every game.

Throwing them under the bus for disclosing his injuries is also laughable. It's downright disrespectful. They were tired of the fans and media laying so much at the feet of Martinez. And it was deserved, if there was ANY shot Martinez could have attempted to have a future playing somewhere (lol at the nfl) that needed to come out. He's not at KSU right now if that isn't disclosed before the end of the season.

Lot of nothing by a kid I respect for his toughness but who has a LOT to learn about football and life. Much more than a guy who has started 4 years of college football should need. Good luck to the kid but this isn't worth listening too.
^^^This^^^ The kid could have at least acknowledged WHY Frost disclosed his injury. Frost wanted everyone to know what a warrior AMart had been, playing through some really bad injuries all the while catching flak from fans for his poor play. He was trying to praise his QB and to tell fans to appreciate what courage AMart had shown. He could also have been honest enough to acknowledge the deep loyalty Frost had shown toward him for four years, putting Frost’s own career in jeopardy due to that loyalty. Very little gratitude is shown here for the zillions of chances Frost gave him to prove himself. Not an impressive interview.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT