ADVERTISEMENT

Alright who are your Top 10 Teams

scarletred

Nebraska Legend
Jun 17, 2001
It has already been established who the Top 2 teams are...
Who is 3-10..

Mine:
3) Oklahoma. May have lost to Alabama by 11 but they had the best Offense in the country.

4)Ohio St. Finished 13-1 but their win over Washington should have been by more than 5 plus they lost to 6-7 Purdue.

5)Florida. 10-3 Gators had an impressive win 41-15 over Michigan despite have 4 starts not playing in the bowl.

6) texas. As much as it pains me to see them win Big last night they beat a Georgia team that most people thought should have been in the playoffs. First 10 win season since 2009..

7) LSU. 10-3 Should have beaten AtM. Played yesterday with a wide receiver as a DB because two were kick out of the game..

8)Georgia. 11-3 Stunk it up last night but still has played Bama closer than anyone else till we find out Monday Night..

9) Notre Dame.12-1 Were whipped by Clemson

10) Washington St. 11-2 Giving props to Mike Leach wasn’t the toughest opponent in Iowa St but still took care of business when they felt they were dissed by the committee playing in the NY6.

Ehh. It's pretty hard to do this. Bowls are an entire different animal as you have a lot of time off, a little more relaxed practices, etc. Basically you are ranking people that came to play in an exhibition game.

If the bowl game is an exhibition they wouldn’t count it on their records.. That is my humble opinion..

True to a certain extent, but in this day and age with the playoff, and now 50 million bowls it is tough to be motivated. Some teams are and some teams aren't. It's just a weird time in CFB

Reactions: saluno22
3. Ohio State
4. Oklahoma
5. Notre Dame
6. Florida
7. Wash St.
8. LSU
9. Georgia
10. Texas

True to a certain extent, but in this day and age with the playoff, and now 50 million bowls it is tough to be motivated. Some teams are and some teams aren't. It's just a weird time in CFB
How can it be tough to be motivated? The players were put on scholarship to play football. That's what they do. Doesn't make any sense they wouldn't be motivated to play.

And the playoff shouldn't make a difference. Teams knew before when they had no shot to win a title, why should it make a difference now? And there's about 40 bowl games and that's because there's about 80 teams that have a .500 or better record. I think most people would agree if you have a winning record you should get to play in a bowl game. Imagine this board if we had a winning record and were left out of a bowl game. There would be hell to pay for that. Maybe if you think about it that way there aren't "too many bowl games."

How can it be tough to be motivated? The players were put on scholarship to play football. That's what they do. Doesn't make any sense they wouldn't be motivated to play.

And the playoff shouldn't make a difference. Teams knew before when they had no shot to win a title, why should it make a difference now? And there's about 40 bowl games and that's because there's about 80 teams that have a .500 or better record. I think most people would agree if you have a winning record you should get to play in a bowl game. Imagine this board if we had a winning record and were left out of a bowl game. There would be hell to pay for that. Maybe if you think about it that way there aren't "too many bowl games."
yikes

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE

It's fine to have that opinion, but I think there are too many bowl games, and my personal opinion is to scale it way back to make sure the regular season still means something as does the bowl games vs. making it for being very mediocre, but I'm not a type of person that thinks 6-6 should be rewarded.

As far as motivation, there are a ton of these kids that aren't motivated to play in the lower bowls. I agree with you that how could it be that tough, but it is for a lot of these kids. I have a family member who is a prominent former player and he has all kinds of stories about the motivation for bowls and the lack there of. Most of them are happy to earn a trip, the free stuff and have a good time but a lot of times football doesn't take the top spot unless they are playing an SEC team, someone talked shit, or some other trigger to get them juiced.

It's fine to have that opinion, but I think there are too many bowl games, and my personal opinion is to scale it way back to make sure the regular season still means something as does the bowl games vs. making it for being very mediocre, but I'm not a type of person that thinks 6-6 should be rewarded.

As far as motivation, there are a ton of these kids that aren't motivated to play in the lower bowls. I agree with you that how could it be that tough, but it is for a lot of these kids. I have a family member who is a prominent former player and he has all kinds of stories about the motivation for bowls and the lack there of. Most of them are happy to earn a trip, the free stuff and have a good time but a lot of times football doesn't take the top spot unless they are playing an SEC team, someone talked shit, or some other trigger to get them juiced.

Why don’t you just rank the teams as you seem fit and you can rank them by your criteria..

Why don’t you just rank the teams as you seem fit and you can rank them by your criteria..

Eh.. Season's over and I think the committee got it right for the playoff. On to the next recruiting cycle, winter conditioning stories and spring game.

Reactions: jeans15
Eh.. Season's over and I think the committee got it right for the playoff. On to the next recruiting cycle, winter conditioning stories and spring game.

My post isn’t anything to do with resetting the Playoffs, it’s just ranking the team Top 10 teams after the bowl games which they will do next Tuesday..

Reactions: jeans15
My post isn’t anything to do with resetting the Playoffs, it’s just ranking the team Top 10 teams after the bowl games which they will do next Tuesday..

I know and read my posts afterwards. I said it isn't worth re-ranking for me because most of the games don't matter. You don't know the motivation of kids and with a long layoff anything can happen. For me a one game sample isn't worth re-ranking. Back in the early 90's before we finally broke through, I probably wouldn't re-rank other teams higher because we shit the bed after not playing football for a month. The bowl season is a whole different animal for me. You don't have to agree with my opinion, and I won't clog up your thread any longer.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
I know and read my posts afterwards. I said it isn't worth re-ranking for me because most of the games don't matter. You don't know the motivation of kids and with a long layoff anything can happen. For me a one game sample isn't worth re-ranking. Back in the early 90's before we finally broke through, I probably wouldn't re-rank other teams higher because we shit the bed after not playing football for a month. The bowl season is a whole different animal for me. You don't have to agree with my opinion, and I won't clog up your thread any longer.
What about all the people who say preseason rankings don't matter, that the end of season rankings are all that count? Now you're saying end of season doesn't matter. Bowl games don't matter, out of conference games don't matter. If none of this stuff is important, what's the point in even following college football?

What about all the people who say preseason rankings don't matter, that the end of season rankings are all that count? Now you're saying end of season doesn't matter. Bowl games don't matter, out of conference games don't matter. If none of this stuff is important, what's the point in even following college football?

Rankings don't really matter unless you are in the Top 4. Championships are what matter. I follow my team and alma mater because I have expectations that hopefully they compete for some sort of championship and I love the University I attended. The bowl games at the end of the year are fun if they are in a decent place, but at the end of the day it doesn't mean squat if you aren't in the Top 4. I will say the New Years 6 I would consider something to be proud of, but getting to the Red Box bowl is ho hum and really doesn't do squat for us besides give the kids a fun trip.

Also, where did I say that out of conference doesn't matter? Preseason rankings are for the fans and don't really mean much until you start playing games.

We're a long way from being a top 4 team. I don't know if you've ever said it, but several people here have said OOC games don't matter, about as many who have said bowl games don't matter.

Ehh. It's pretty hard to do this. Bowls are an entire different animal as you have a lot of time off, a little more relaxed practices, etc. Basically you are ranking people that came to play in an exhibition game.
Agree, bowl results are meaningless. It all comes down to motivation. Lets face it, All D1 teams have D1 athletes. If the better team doesn't want to be there. The lesser team will have enough athletes to compete. As we found out last year with Auburn losing to UCF and this year Maybe the Georgia loss. Many top teams don't care about bowls any more. Especially the one that maybe just missed out on the playoffs. It is an extra practice time and a vacation. That being said I will throw out by rankings for fun.
Alabma
Clemson
Ohio St
Fl
LSU
Okla
Texas
Kentucky
Washington ST
UCF

The only thing that should matter is Conf games and playoff games. You use conf games to help determine the best in the conf. The best in the conf should be put into the playoff. My idea:
Go to 8 team playoff. Go to 5 or 6, 14 team conferences. I would say 6. The AAC has been the strongest non p5 so have them be the sixth conf. Then every conf goes to a 13 game schedule. No games out of conf all 13 games will be in conf. The top 2 play for championship. The winners of every conf goes to the playoff, so 6 and would be 2 at large teams.

Agree, bowl results are meaningless. It all comes down to motivation. Lets face it, All D1 teams have D1 athletes. If the better team doesn't want to be there. The lesser team will have enough athletes to compete. As we found out last year with Auburn losing to UCF and this year Maybe the Georgia loss. Many top teams don't care about bowls any more. Especially the one that maybe just missed out on the playoffs. It is an extra practice time and a vacation. That being said I will throw out by rankings for fun.
Alabma
Clemson
Ohio St
Fl
LSU
Okla
Texas
Kentucky
Washington ST
UCF

Thank you for your opinion at least you put one out..

Reactions: husker2612

I promise you there aren’t any red blooded 18-22 year olds guys that find it “tough to be motivated” to play one last game (of the season or of their career). Maybe some guys move on because there are millions of dollars at stake, but that’s less than one percent of the players out there. These guys want to make plays and lay the wood in front of their friends, team mates, and families no matter what the bowl sponsor or how many asses are in the seats.

Reactions: scarletred
I promise you there aren’t any red blooded 18-22 year olds guys that find it “tough to be motivated” to play one last game (of the season or of their career). Maybe some guys move on because there are millions of dollars at stake, but that’s less than one percent of the players out there. These guys want to make plays and lay the wood in front of their friends, team mates, and families no matter what the bowl sponsor or how many asses are in the seats.

You would be wrong, and this comes from players themselves.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
[QUOTE="E.RogerCoswell, post: 4908834, member: 25146"]I promise you there aren’t any red blooded 18-22 year olds guys that find it “tough to be motivated” to play one last game (of the season or of their career). Maybe some guys move on because there are millions of dollars at stake, but that’s less than one percent of the players out there. These guys want to make plays and lay the wood in front of their friends, team mates, and families no matter what the bowl sponsor or how many asses are in the seats.[/QUOTE]

I will beg to differ. This is the group of kids that have only known participation trophies.

Most of them are happy to earn a trip, the free stuff and have a good time but a lot of times football doesn't take the top spot unless they are playing an SEC team, someone talked shit, or some other trigger to get them juiced.
Bingo

3. Ohio State
4. Oklahoma
5. Notre Dame
6. Florida
7. Wash St.
8. LSU
9. Georgia
10. Texas
The only one I might argue with as much as it pains me to do so, would be to put ND at #3 and OSU at #5. That loss to Purdue was a horrible horrible loss. No excuses for that one. Notre Dame lost one game to Clemson. JMHO. It's not a winnable debate.

Reactions: mmunso7
The only one I might argue with as much as it pains me to do so, would be to put ND at #3 and OSU at #5. That loss to Purdue was a horrible horrible loss. No excuses for that one. Notre Dame lost one game to Clemson. JMHO. It's not a winnable debate.

I’d still put OU and tOSU ahead of ND and maybe Florida..

I’d still put OU and tOSU ahead of ND and maybe Florida..
I will say the loss to Texas doesn't look as bad now as it did at the time BUT OU still finished with 2 losses. I don't think I would bet ND in a game against OU now, but just purely Ws and Ls, NDs only loss was to the national champ and by no more than Bama lost. I can see the argument for OU. OSU just stunk so badly against Purdue that I can't put them in the top 4.

Last edited:
You would be wrong, and this comes from players themselves.

You are correct. What most people don't think about is the preparation leading up to the game. That is where the lack of interest is most apparent. Of course, 18-22 year olds are excited and ready to play the game. What they aren't excited to do is get ready for that game. The grind of the practices, the early morning conditioning, The short amount of time you will get to be home over Christmas. Then think about losing your chance to play in the CFP a couple of weeks earlier. If motivating 18-22 year olds was easy, then everyone would be killing it.

Reactions: kaz36
You are correct. What most people don't think about is the preparation leading up to the game. That is where the lack of interest is most apparent. Of course, 18-22 year olds are excited and ready to play the game. What they aren't excited to do is get ready for that game. The grind of the practices, the early morning conditioning, The short amount of time you will get to be home over Christmas. Then think about losing your chance to play in the CFP a couple of weeks earlier. If motivating 18-22 year olds was easy, then everyone would be killing it.

Yep and the worst is when you have something like the Washington situation a few years back. Get a team the 3rd time in 2 years. I can tell you that the players were not motivated at all, and I saw many of them out in San Diego... That doesn't fit a lot of the older posters agenda.

Yep and the worst is when you have something like the Washington situation a few years back. Get a team the 3rd time in 2 years. I can tell you that the players were not motivated at all, and I saw many of them out in San Diego... That doesn't fit a lot of the older posters agenda.
Well when your coaches are stumbling around stoned and drunk half the time on the bowl trip, it's pretty tough for the players to stay focused. That was the game that Pelini and his staff thought they had a warmer weather gig in the bag. They had their "bags packed".

Well when your coaches are stumbling around stoned and drunk half the time on the bowl trip, it's pretty tough for the players to stay focused. That was the game that Pelini and his staff thought they had a warmer weather gig in the bag. They had their "bags packed".

It also was the last year in the Big 12 conference and lost to OU, a win would have put Nebraska more likely in Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl...The conference didn’t do us any favors by playing a team we already whipped in September 56-21..

It also was the last year in the Big 12 conference and lost to OU, a win would have put Nebraska more likely in Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl...The conference didn’t do us any favors by playing a team we already whipped in September 56-21..

The bowls pick who they want.

There is no such thing as lack of interest because you lost a conference championship game.

The bowls pick who they want.

There is no such thing as lack of interest because you lost a conference championship game.

Tell that to Georgia too..

The Cotton Bowl snubbed Nebraska for ATM and I’m aware Nebraska lost 9-6 to ATM..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT