ADVERTISEMENT

All this Mickey Joseph talk...

Well yeah, he can move up internally at LSU now and stay in his home state.

But why go public with turning down a different offer? That’s kinda dirty, but typical SEC crap.

It says "sources" and not a direct statement form MJ. There is information all over the place in these deals from both sides. Look how much is on this board alone, some of it has a leg or two, sometimes. I lived in a world where people speculated all the time and it drove me nuts so now I just ignore the chatter until the final announcement is made unless of course, Scott and team ask for my opinion. ;)

Last edited:
Hopefully Frost has a Plan B. Maybe he can talk Lubick into coming out of retirement.

I think the bad optics are that Walters is still around. Really puts the pressure on to get this done now and they can't do it behind the scenes anymore.

It means that Walters is actively interviewing for other positions, just as Dewitt was. Seems like a mutual parting of ways for Dewitt and now possibly with Walters. The "smoke" in all of this was the addition of the run game coordinator title to Austin, as it makes no sense to have a run game coord and not a pass game coord. My hunch is Matt Lubick will be the new WR/pass game coord, unless he has absolutely no interest in returning to football since he is out of it currently.

It means that Walters is actively interviewing for other positions, just as Dewitt was. Seems like a mutual parting of ways for Dewitt and now possibly with Walters. The "smoke" in all of this was the addition of the run game coordinator title to Austin, as it makes no sense to have a run game coord and not a pass game coord. My hunch is Matt Lubick will be the new WR/pass game coord, unless he has absolutely no interest in returning to football since he is out of it currently.

I agree.. All this "Frost is running them out" talk is a bit of exageration. Coaches look for new gigs all the time and I agree that it's best for Walters and DeWitt to move on.

Exactly. And wasn't Walters one of the last ones to commit to joining the staff when they first came here? It was him and Fisher, IIRC.

This is the nature of the business and I don't feel bad for anyone involved, Walters flirted with taking the UCF job when they all left for Nebraska and I'm sure he has had plenty of phone calls from other schools. It is pretty evident Frost takes care of the guys that he trusts, I see no reason to believe otherwise in this situation with Walters.

No one can be happy about this leak. This is going to make things awkward for as long as Walters is around. Yikes.
Right! Im assuming Frost did not want this out. Pretty crappy of Mickey him he was the one who put this out there. Especially if no official interviews were done and it was just "sending out feelers" type of thing. If Im Walters Im looking for the first good job I can find.

I think the bad optics are that Walters is still around. Really puts the pressure on to get this done now and they can't do it behind the scenes anymore.

Exactly. What does Walters tell recruit? "Yeah, they tried to replace me this past off season, but the other guy turned down the job, so I'm still here. Don't worry, the staff has complete confidence in me. I'll definitely be your position coach for the next 4 years."

Reactions: headcard
Right! Im assuming Frost did not want this out. Pretty crappy of Mickey him he was the one who put this out there. Especially if no official interviews were done and it was just "sending out feelers" type of thing. If Im Walters Im looking for the first good job I can find.

Agents are the "sources" on these things...especially in the Joseph situation. Of course his agent leaks out he has an offer from Nebraska...he's an alum and is in high demand, all while coaches are leaving left and right from LSU, putting him in a great position to get a big title and pay bump there.

Reactions: husker2612
Sounds like Mickey wanted a raise and put this out in the rumor mill
Wouldn't be the first time. Think this a fairly common practice from agents to get their guy a raise. True or not Frost probably needs to make a statement on it.

Mickey Joespeh only became a hot commodity after Joe Brady showed up. Mickey has shown he can keep the wheels from falling off of a very naturally talented group. It's going to take a helluva coach to come in here and get us on track, basically from scratch.

I think NU just did the same thing. Kiffin was pursuing one of the coaches we just gave a raise two and it is out there. So not really just the SEC but normal business.
Well, NU doesn't have an opening on offense and Kiffin didn't even have a staff hired. So two totally different situations and NU didn't contract The Athletic to intentionally put a story out there. That's SEC stuff.

Mickey Joespeh only became a hot commodity after Joe Brady showed up. Mickey has shown he can keep the wheels from falling off of a very naturally talented group. It's going to take a helluva coach to come in here and get us on track, basically from scratch.

Mickey is a former Husker who coached 2 of the top 3 WR in the country on a National Championship team, and he has deep recruiting connections in the talent-rich state of Louisiana. I would be concerned if Frost didn't at least gauge his interest.

Last edited:
So help me understand.....there are now verified reports that there was never contact by Nebraska with Joseph as speculated so now we are so supposed to believe his agent leaked a lie to get him a raise? Everyone now knows it was not true and there are openings on the LSU staff regardless.

Moral of the story, only believe it when it actually happens and then take a wait and see attitude.

So help me understand.....there are now verified reports that there was never contact by Nebraska with Joseph as speculated so now we are so supposed to believe his agent leaked a lie to get him a raise? Everyone now knows it was not true and there are openings on the LSU staff regardless.

Moral of the story, only believe it when it actually happens and then take a wait and see attitude.
I think this probably one of those debates over what "offer" and "contact" mean. Hard to imagine absolutely no smoke to this.

Hopefully Frost has a Plan B. Maybe he can talk Lubick into coming out of retirement.
I have heard UW was unhappy with his lack of development of wide receivers and the big drop off in passing success after he came on board. We don't need someone else not developing players. How many wide receivers have we taken the last couple years that have yet to step up to the plate?

I have heard UW was unhappy with his lack of development of wide receivers and the big drop off in passing success after he came on board. We don't need someone else not developing players. How many wide receivers have we taken the last couple years that have yet to step up to the plate?

Since he is out of football, maybe they will try to bring in Lubick in the analyst role

I wouldn't be thrilled with Lubick either, but Frost tends to hire guys he's worked with before or have connections to the Chip Kelly tree. Helfrich has never coached WRs, so he probably wouldn't be the best choice to develop receivers. Frost consulted with Lubick last season so it would make sense.

If it were me, I would try to hire the Minnesota WR coach, but it looks like he just got a promotion to Co-OC there.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be thrilled with Lubick either, but Frost tends to hire guys he's worked with before or have connections to the Chip Kelly tree. Helfrich has never coached WRs, so he probably wouldn't be the best choice to develop receivers. Frost consulted with Lubick last season so it would make sense.

If it were me, I would try to hire the Minnesota WR coach, but it looks like he just got a promotion to Co-OC there.

My dark horse candidate would be Craig Stutzmann from Hawaii if he doesn't get the head job at Hawaii

Well yeah, he can move up internally at LSU now and stay in his home state.

But why go public with turning down a different offer? That’s kinda dirty, but typical SEC crap.
He's goes public for recruiting purposes because there were rumors out there just like Fish had to do.

I'm guessing with the timing of the Walters announcement and Joseph out of the picture now that Frost likely has someone lined up as a replacement already and an announcement coming before very long.

Reactions: Baxter48
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT