ADVERTISEMENT

Adrian Martinez might move up in the ratings

vs540husker

Offensive Coordinator
Oct 3, 2004
The Rivals national recruiting director is down in Florida for the Under Armour All American Game and has been watching every practice. After the 3rd day of practice he said "Adrian Martinez remains the most consistent quarterback." and then added, "QB Adrian Martinez – He’s been more consistent than some quarterbacks ranked ahead of him and if he has a good game, he could be in for a bump. When the lights come on and it’s live action, that’s where we will see how the quarterbacks stack up."

Sounds like if he performs well during the game, he'll be re-evaluated and move up in the rankings.
Link to full story.

I'm very excited to have Martinez be on campus early and start S&C and learning the playbook!

Love that we got this kid, he’s signed and is an early enrollment player. My GUESS for the moment is Gebbia is are QB for next couple years and Martinez is our future QB when Gebbia is done. He should get a good 2-3 years starting at QB if it works out right.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Love that we got this kid, he’s signed and is an early enrollment player. My GUESS for the moment is Gebbia is are QB for next couple years and Martinez is our future QB when Gebbia is done. He should get a good 2-3 years starting at QB if it works out right.

I'm thinking Martinez will be our starter by mid next year, unless Gebbia or POB light it up.

I'm thinking Martinez will be our starter by mid next year, unless Gebbia or POB light it up.
Mart
Martinez is starter from day one! Why would you say Gebbia would be the starter? He doesn’t have any college experience in games. They are equal going into spring ball and I think Martinez and his skill set fits Frost’s system much better.

Gebbia has the right skills to play Frost's offense and he has GREAT intangibles (similar to Milton IMHO). The question is if he has his body ready to start and take a pounding for 12+ games. Because he was not ready for that this past year.

Mart

Martinez is starter from day one! Why would you say Gebbia would be the starter? He doesn’t have any college experience in games. They are equal going into spring ball and I think Martinez and his skill set fits Frost’s system much better.
There was more passing from UCF's offense than I was expecting to see. They finally busted out some option in the 4th quarter, but Milton certainly was not some kid who was gonna run for 150 yards and then maybe make it to 15 pass attempts. Most of his biggest runs were scrambles.

To my eye, most high schools are running spread offenses with zone-read concepts now. I believe POB and Gebbia both did. People keep acting like neither of these kids could imagine a world where a QB runs with the football or reads a DE.

It's gonna be a wide open QB competition. I won't be surprised if Martinez doesn't win the job.

I'd tend to favor Martinez as well because of his mobility. Our line is not great so we will need someone who can scramble and make plays next year when protection breaks down.

Not that this has any bearing on this situation but I watched Brook Berringer in HS with a passing attack to better use his skills and there was a lot if question how he would do in TO's option game. I think he answered that question.

If Gebbia starts that means, in all probability, he will be the starter for 3-4 years. That means that Scott Frosts quarterback recruit who he said is the best quarterback in high school is going to sit the bench till he is a junior or senior? It might happen but I wouldn't bet money on it. I still believe Martinez is the quarterback that will be starting if not on game 1 but by Big Ten conference play. I just don't see Frost sitting his top recruit for three to four years.

AMart and TG are only one year apart. At least one of them will not be happy with the outcome of the competition.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
Ck out the QB situation at Ga, be,I've they have 3 5* that will be So and Fr next or something crazy like that. Competition is what we need.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
Mart

Neither does Martinez last time I checked.. As for Gebbia, he does have a year experience practicing against D-1 players whereas Martinez was sidelined all last year. Gebbia can move better than people give him credit. Don't sleep on the kid.

My prediction: Martinez will get the start by mid-season if not Game 1. Frost's first big Nebraska recruit, the all important QB position no less, is not going to be standing on the sidelines for long.

Reactions: 99SEMIFINAL
Mart

Mart

I think you might be selling Gebbia and O’Brien a little short. Both ran spread offenses in high school as well, and have pretty impressive highlight videos. Martinez is certainly a more dynamic and much faster runner, but it looks to me that O’Brien and certainly Gebbia were more polished passers in high school. Martinez has the arm strength and throws a nice ball, but on most of the throws in the video, he waits until the receiver gets past the defender before he makes the throw. And most of his throws were either deep balls, or scrambles and dumping it underneath coverage. Both types of throws are impressive and of course necessary, but in my opinion, Gebbia and O’Brien show a greater variety of throws and a better sense of timing and placement. Gebbia in particular, in his video, shows a good sense of throwing the ball to a spot on the field where he expects the receiver to break open. Whether it is an over the top throw or a breaking route, he tends to throw to the open spot, trusting the receiver to beat coverage. The saying “if you are even, you are open” comes to mind. Meaning that if a receiver gets even with the defender (particularly on a deep route) let it fly, because by the time the ball gets there, he will be past the defender and open to make the catch. Gebbias video illustrates this quite a bit. In the second half of O’Briens video, he shows this ability as well. He especially shows good timing on breaking routes, throwing before the receiver has completed his break, anticipating that he will be open. The throw at 6:09 is one example. Both Gebbia and O’Brien also show an ability to throw a receiver open. Their videos showed throws where the receiver was covered and they threw a back shoulder throw, or a high and away throw, or low throw, away from coverage where their receiver still had a chance to adjust to the ball. Gebbias video doesn’t show him running much, but based on the spring game, he has the ability to scramble a little and extend plays. O’Briens video shows him as a capable runner, who can extend plays, pick up first downs and keep a defense honest. Again, not game breakers on the ground that Martinez appears to be. Maybe Martinez has the ability to make the same kind of throws as can be seen in Gebbias and O’Briens video, and certainly he could be taught to make these throws. He may well earn the starting job, like I said he seems to have game breaking running ability, I just think it might be a little early to write off the other two based on Martinez high school hightlights, particularly when the other two have equally and maybe even more impressive high school highlights.

Adrian Martinez Hudl

Tristan Gebbia Hudl

Patrick O'Brien Hudl

Last edited:
Check out the QB situation at Georgia. I believe they have 3 5* QBs that will be So and Fr next or something crazy like that. Competition is what we need.

Correct! Georgia signed a 5* QB three years in a row:

2016 - Jacob Eason 5* Pro Style QB 6'5" 207#
2017 - Jake Fromm 5* Pro Style QB 6'3" 200#
2018 - Justin Fields 5* Dual Threat QB 6'3" 220#

Eason started as a true freshman.
Fromm started as a true freshman when Eason was injured.

Now here comes Fields? Where is he going to play at? The bench? Hoping for another injury... to both Eason and Fromm?

What many Husker fans don't understand is that college football teams sign good QBs every year. For whatever reason, every single high school football team has a QB. o_OExplain that one to me! There are 99 QBs in the 2018 class that are rated a 3* or higher and 228 that are 2* or higher.

These QBs have to go somewhere. Next year there will be another hundred 3* QBs that need somewhere to go. Over a 4 year period, that is 400 3*+ QBs that need somewhere to go to college and play football.

I think some Husker fans would make horrible football coaches if they think we need one QB on the roster and then in 4 years we should sign another QB and only use one scholarship on the QB position at a time. Where are POB and Gebbia going to go? To a school that signed 4 QBs in the last 4 years like every school did?

I just don't understand how EVERY other school has QB competition, yet our fans think we cannot and that if we do, then our QBs will just get up and leave our program... and if they don't start, then that means they suck and the younger QB that just signed is better. Why is the newest player (youngest) always better to Husker fans?

Did we sign the only QBs think they have to play or else they will leave? Our fans knock any player that either commits and decommits or if they transfer schools, especially if they have transferred twice and are at their 3rd college to play football.

Let the competition play out. It doesn't matter who we want to start; we have no say in it!

AMart and TG are only one year apart. At least one of them will not be happy with the outcome of the competition.

sounds like everyone has written off O'brien already. Don't count him out yet. He's a good passer and can run and scramble.

Gebbia has the right skills to play Frost's offense and he has GREAT intangibles (similar to Milton IMHO). The question is if he has his body ready to start and take a pounding for 12+ games. Because he was not ready for that this past year.
Milton is 5'11" and weighs 185 lbs / Gebbia is 6'3" and weighs 185 lbs. Neither are have powerhouse builds.

Milton is 5'11" and weighs 185 lbs / Gebbia is 6'3" and weighs 185 lbs. Neither are have powerhouse builds.
UCF plays in the AAC, Nebraska plays in the B1G. There is a little difference in the types of hits you take on a weekly basis.

sounds like everyone has written off O'brien already. Don't count him out yet. He's a good passer and can run and scramble.

Even though I'm high on Gebbia, you are right. POB definitely looked solid in the playing time he got. He could probably stand to lose 10-15 pounds.

Gebbia has a hell of a shot imo.. Last year we heard all of the praise from practice reports about how well he was doing... And with his lunch pail work ethic.. He may really excel under Frost. He gets through his progressions quick and is known for being very accurate at throwing which is Milton esque. I just hope they can get the line to protect whoever it is to succeed. Come on spring game.

Last edited:
The it factor means more than any other measurable in a RPO or spread type offense. A little known guy named Todd Reesing took KU to the Orange Bowl, and I guarantee he wasn't as fast as Gebbia or Martinez. The fastest will not necessarily win out. Neither will the most accurate. The one that makes the best decisions will win the job.

The it factor means more than any other measurable in a RPO or spread type offense. A little known guy named Todd Reesing took KU to the Orange Bowl, and I guarantee he wasn't as fast as Gebbia or Martinez. The fastest will not necessarily win out. Neither will the most accurate. The one that makes the best decisions will win the job.

Not all spread offenses are created equally, not all spread option offenses were created equal either Mangino wasnt running a spread option offense so he didnt need a solid set of legs. An accurate passer with solid legs takes these spread option offenses to another level..

Have to agree that POB looks very good on senior yer film and wouldn't count him out.

Kind of like Tanner Lee reminded everyone of Sean Mannion eh?
Tanner Lee may very well end up in the exact same situation as Mannion. IF he would have had another year with Riley and Langsdorf I think he would have put up huge numbers regardless of how crappy our O line looked. The guy has the right tools and the right mindset to be an NFL QB. I'll be surprised if he isn't at least on somebody's practice squad next fall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT