ADVERTISEMENT

AAU

redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
Think NU got kicked out of the aau cause they couldn't count the off campus hospitals like Omaha, but then I heard our new president say something about tieing the hospitals together will some computer systems...so a I suppose to figure the "administrations" of all hospitals of the needs to be done on campus? to get NU back in the aau?

Think NU got kicked out of the aau cause they couldn't count the off campus hospitals like Omaha, but then I heard our new president say something about tieing the hospitals together will some computer systems...so a I suppose to figure the "administrations" of all hospitals of the needs to be done on campus? to get NU back in the aau?
Other hospitals? What other hospitals than the one at UNMC are relevant?

But UNMC is much more than a hospital. It includes “Colleges of Allied Health Professions, Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, and Public Health, as well as the Munroe-Meyer Institute for Genetics & Rehabilitation and the Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer & Allied Diseases. ” Those programs are major research units and are excluded from UNL reporting for potential AAU research ranking purposes.

Here was a NU description of the AAU “problem” in 2023: “Now Nebraska is working on a plan that will include reporting research expenditures from UNL, its flagship campus in Lincoln, in tandem with the University of Nebraska Medical Center located in Omaha. Currently, Carter said, Nebraska ranks 117th nationally for federal research and development dollars. But changing the organizational structure to combine R&D reporting would bump Nebraska to 66th.”

I assume the devil is in the details or Carter’s plan would have been adopted.

Last edited:
UNMC is much more than a hospital. It includes “Colleges of Allied Health Professions, Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, and Public Health, as well as the Munroe-Meyer Institute for Genetics & Rehabilitation and the Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer & Allied Diseases. ” Those programs are major research units.

Here was a NU description of the AAU “problem” in 2023: “Now Nebraska is working on a plan that will include reporting research expenditures from UNL, its flagship campus in Lincoln, in tandem with the University of Nebraska Medical Center located in Omaha. Currently, Carter said, Nebraska ranks 117th nationally for federal research and development dollars. But changing the organizational structure to combine R&D reporting would bump Nebraska to 66th.”
Any idea of the timetable for those reporting changes and the reapplication for AAU status?

Other hospitals? What other hospitals than the one at UNMC are relevant?

But UNMC is much more than a hospital. It includes “Colleges of Allied Health Professions, Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, and Public Health, as well as the Munroe-Meyer Institute for Genetics & Rehabilitation and the Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer & Allied Diseases. ” Those programs are major research units and are excluded from UNL reporting for potential AAU research ranking purposes.

I assume the devil is in the details or Carter’s plan would have been adopted.
I don't really know I thought the university of Nebraska medical system was a few places..but thanks for the info
hearing other teams like in the acc and big 12 talk about aau I figured might be a good idea to have that in the bag of tools.
I'm not sure why we lost if considering we was in the aau pretty much longer or the same time as other big 10 schools, I hear a michigan guy wanted to kick us out but I wonder if we seen that coming or were dropping the ball on membership...I read the article where pearl men said it cost us too much to stay in, but hopefully it don't cost us to stay out.

then again if it all goes mini nfl will aau matter?

If you combine UNMC and UNL research funding, they are similar to other near AAU institutions like NC State, UGA, Kentucky, V-Tech and Cincinnati. Academically the undergrad program would be below all these except Kentucky. I guess it's possible they could reaquire AAU status, but it doesn't seem easy.

Makes you question why NU is even in the conference, other than money of course.
And stability. But NU has to start winning games. That was the only reason they were invited. The B1G was seen as the Big 2 and Little 8 for years. Nebraska was supposed to help give the conference a competitive edge.

That hasn't happened.

So peripheral stuff like AAU status has been magnified. In reality, no one gives a shit about AAU membership. They just care about wins. If AAU was that important, NU would have been booted from the conference the moment it lost its status, especially seeing as how the team hasn't been winning.

If/when Nebraska starts winning again, none of this stuff will matter.

And stability. But NU has to start winning games. That was the only reason they were invited. The B1G was seen as the Big 2 and Little 8 for years. Nebraska was supposed to help give the conference a competitive edge.

That hasn't happened.

So peripheral stuff like AAU status has been magnified. In reality, no one gives a shit about AAU membership. They just care about wins. If AAU was that important, NU would have been booted from the conference the moment it lost its status, especially seeing as how the team hasn't been winning.

If/when Nebraska starts winning again, none of this stuff will matter.
I agree winning will help, but I doubt NU will ever be treated as anything more than the red headed stepchild.

Makes you question why NU is even in the conference, other than money of course.
We were AAU members when we were invited to the B1G.

FYI, I have a lot of admin experience at major universities including AAU members U of AZ and UC Santa Barbara. While AAU membership isn’t insignificant, I can assure you most universities are more concerned about identifying peers. While UW and UM were considered leaders of booting us from AAU you can bet they consider a precious few of current AAU members to be their peers. When I was involved in the U of A joining the PAC, Stanford and Cal faculty were opposed to the U of A as they didn’t consider them peers, even though U of A was in the AAU.

Last edited:
We were AAU members when we were invited to the B1G. FYI, I have a lot of admin experience at major universities including AAU members U of AZ and UC Santa Barbara. While AAU membership isn’t insignificant, I can assure you most universities are more concerned about identifying peers. While UW and UM were considered leaders of booting us from AAU you can bet they consider a precious few of current AAU members to be their peers. When I was involved in U of A joining the PAC, Stanford and Cal faculty were opposed as they didn’t consider them peers, even though U of A was in the AAU.
Sounds like high school drama. It’s interesting that Iowa and Oregon are part of the AAU when their academic institutions are closer in standing to NU than the other schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT