ADVERTISEMENT

A message from the GOAT

I’ve heard before and heard Damon Benning say he was recently converted into the notion that QBs are just different and need to be handled differently.
I really struggle with that concept.
It’s so important to have more than one guy ready to play at all times and keep competition active and alive everyday.
I think coddling the QB psyche is not the right approach. We’ve seen a lot of it, and it compromises integrity re: consistency and accountability.
QB does need a longer leash as far as they touch the ball every play, and are throwing into tight windows; so yes, sh*t happens.
But when sh*t piles up in excess far beyond what is standard, I don’t understand the excuse of saying “but they’re the QB.”

Saban isn’t retiring at all. Dude is as competitive as it gets and the last couple of seasons are killing him. He will get back on top. Next season is my guess but they could potentially make a late run this year.
Retiring for him will not be about competition or being competitive.

It will be about wanting to be a grandpa and hang out at his lake house and go boating and shit like that.

I personally would not want to retire so that I could hang out with family and my wife, but a lot of dudes want to do that.

I’ve heard before and heard Damon Benning say he was recently converted into the notion that QBs are just different and need to be handled differently.
I really struggle with that concept.
It’s so important to have more than one guy ready to play at all times and keep competition active and alive everyday.
I think coddling the QB psyche is not the right approach. We’ve seen a lot of it, and it compromises integrity re: consistency and accountability.
QB does need a longer leash as far as they touch the ball every play, and are throwing into tight windows; so yes, sh*t happens.
But when sh*t piles up in excess far beyond what is standard, I don’t understand the excuse of saying “but they’re the QB.”
That is interesting and I sort of get where he is coming from.

I think what most fans need to realize is that 99% of the time, the best QB is in fact the QB that is starting. At least by the standards/metrics that they use in practice.

That clearly doesn't mean that the back up might not be better but it is just hard to bench a guy that is better in practice over a guy that sucks in practice.

That is interesting and I sort of get where he is coming from.

I think what most fans need to realize is that 99% of the time, the best QB is in fact the QB that is starting. At least by the standards/metrics that they use in practice.

That clearly doesn't mean that the back up might not be better but it is just hard to bench a guy that is better in practice over a guy that sucks in practice.
I agree, but while not easy, it’s super important to develop more than one option at every position. HAVE to have a capable backup QB.

Minn and Purdue are just a couple examples of schools that beat us with capable backups.

And if your backup isn’t better than approx. 6 turnovers in 2 games, then you’ve failed as a coach.

I’m also not just referencing permanent benching, but definitely- “hey you need to realize this is serious and there’s consequence when you’re not focused on your job.”

Reactions: dinglefritz
He’s got a stable full of stallions. We do not. His 3rd teamer could walk in and start for us tomorrow

I Guess If You Say So GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT