ADVERTISEMENT

4 star RB N!! Jamarion Parker

I am not sure you need a single RB to be one of the best in the Big Ten in order to have a good to great running game. Yes it helps but on average about 55 teams per year, over the past 15 years, had a 1000 yard back. Offenses are changing quickly. Last year the individual leader in yards per game was the Missouri kid, that transferred from DII, or whatever, and he averaged 125 ypg. The year before it was 155 ypg and 2021 it was 145 ypg. College football is a pass first operation now days.
And it remains to be seen if we have the WRs to support that.

That reminds me of the end of the year sports banquet when I was in high school. Bob Devaney was the keynote speaker. He spoke of his first high school head coaching job. He said his best player was a 119 pound fullback because he was the only one who could get through the holes his line could open. The Bobfather had the crowd eating out of his hand.

Was it Steppe? I forget his name but I agree very similar players

Stepp wasn’t as violent of a runner IMO. I’m not saying he’s Mike Rozier. His style with the high knees punishing people reminded me of Craig. I really don’t remember Craig outrunning many people. He was a tough guy to bring down that delivered blows and was fast enough.
Holla

If our passing game is competent, it should more than make up for lack of qb run. Teams stacked the box and run blitzed us all last year because we couldn’t complete a downfield pass. We may be lacking a great rb, but I still think the run game and offense will be improved overall. Hopefully this kid is the high level rb we’ve been searching for moving forward.

Word on the street is that they aren’t super impressed with him. He’s not that franchise RB that the are still looking for.

I'm not either. From what I seen in the spring game ( lol yeah I know) he isn't better than what we currently have.

I just don't see the explosion or the ability to do anything outside of the design of the play. My hope (if he plays) is that he can be a pile mover who always gets another yard or two by brute force. But I'll be honest I just don't see it.

Go watch the first play of the spring. The true frosh LB flew outside (faster than the RB is imo) and folded him up.

I hope I'm wrong cause we desperately need a difference maker at RB. It's not a requirement but it absolutely makes everything you do on offense easier.

Holla

Reactions: Dean Pope
I hope you are right and I'm wrong. But we definitely don't see it the same way. I think he will be fine if he has a huge hole and can hit downhill. THEN I agree he wouldn't probably be a tough tackle for secondary guys or even some LBs. My question is how often have we seen THOSE kinda holes?

From watching him I think all you need to do is make him take any step east/west and he becomes just a guy. I don't see any elusiveness or wiggle or ability to do anything but run straight ahead. Even his HS tape was similar. But of course he was a man going against kids in HS.

I really looking forward to seeing how he does though. It'll be interesting either way. Again I hope like hell you are right because we need a GUY at RB.

Holla

Exactly... Were some watching a different spring game? Other than the big run, I saw a back who embraced contact and lowered his shoulders to punish defenders. Size and speed with power and caught a ball or two. What else more do you need other than have the big guy work toward perfecting his pass blocking?
we haven't had a RB produce long runs on any sort of consistent basis for like forever.. heck we haven't had any rb produce runs greater than 35 yards, except for just a handful of times over the past several years.. so that nice long run by Dowdell was impressive to see, (because it's been so rare) but on the grand scheme of things, it doesn't tell us if he can do that on a consistent basis.

I do prefer a heavier bigger guy than can run inside and handle the hits, but dish them out.

I absolutely despise small scat back speed guys, because in most cases, they are too small to stay healthy, and cannot deliver a hit nor extend a play after contact.

Speed is nice to have at all positions, but is probably the least important at RB.

Reactions: Truewooper
I think his point being Palmer wasn't a starter at LSU, yet transfered to NU and basically played like franchise player. Of course he was a WR.
I would think that a WR has less excuses to get on the field. There is like what 10 wrs on the field these days and only ~2 ish guys play real minutes at RB still.

I hope you are right and I'm wrong. But we definitely don't see it the same way. I think he will be fine if he has a huge hole and can hit downhill. THEN I agree he wouldn't probably be a tough tackle for secondary guys or even some LBs. My question is how often have we seen THOSE kinda holes?

From watching him I think all you need to do is make him take any step east/west and he becomes just a guy. I don't see any elusiveness or wiggle or ability to do anything but run straight ahead. Even his HS tape was similar. But of course he was a man going against kids in HS.

I really looking forward to seeing how he does though. It'll be interesting either way. Again I hope like hell you are right because we need a GUY at RB.

Holla
Well I hope he is a power back but at P5 level they have to be able to get 3 yards no matter what. Plus the east/west may not matter if he goes for the hole/good playcalling. I just did not really see it in the Spring Game.

we haven't had a RB produce long runs on any sort of consistent basis for like forever.. heck we haven't had any rb produce runs greater than 35 yards, except for just a handful of times over the past several years.. so that nice long run by Dowdell was impressive to see, (because it's been so rare) but on the grand scheme of things, it doesn't tell us if he can do that on a consistent basis.

I do prefer a heavier bigger guy than can run inside and handle the hits, but dish them out.

I absolutely despise small scat back speed guys, because in most cases, they are too small to stay healthy, and cannot deliver a hit nor extend a play after contact.

Speed is nice to have at all positions, but is probably the least important at RB.
Kevin James What GIF by TV Land

Reactions: Huskers123456
A running back who couldn't make it at a big program isn't going to turn into a franchise running back here. They need to either recruit a franchise running back out of high school or get a high achiever from a smaller school. Our running back recruiting has been pretty pathetic over the past 10 years or so.
It's not about not making it a previous school. Dowdell did just fine at Oregon. Modern college football is just a roulette wheel. Just pick a random number and that will be your college "home" for the next year.

It's not about not making it a previous school. Dowdell did just fine at Oregon. Modern college football is just a roulette wheel. Just pick a random number and that will be your college "home" for the next year.
No he didn't, hence the transfer. You literally have no idea what you are talking about. They recruited over him and he wasn't going to see the field there.

No he didn't, hence the transfer. You literally have no idea what you are talking about. They recruited over him and he wasn't going to see the field there.
To be fair, their RB recruiting has been better than ours. IF he can be a short yardage back and step up in pass pro he can help us. I sure wasn’t expecting a feature back when we signed him. Two of our top returning RBs are coming off of major injuries soooo…. Cheap insurance.

To be fair, their RB recruiting has been better than ours. IF he can be a short yardage back and step up in pass pro he can help us. I sure wasn’t expecting a feature back when we signed him. Two of our top returning RBs are coming off of major injuries soooo…. Cheap insurance.
Last year was pretty much a failure in bringing in the talent we needed at the running back position.

This board gets taken over by more and more dipshits which is why I hardly post here anymore. Dowdell got playing time on a team that was a play or two away from a playoff appearance as a TRUE freshman. Elite teams don't give playing time to freshman for the fun of it or unless they see serious potential. It's laughable all the (un)loveable losers here want to write him off already.

This board gets taken over by more and more dipshits which is why I hardly post here anymore. Dowdell got playing time on a team that was a play or two away from a playoff appearance as a TRUE freshman. Elite teams don't give playing time to freshman for the fun of it or unless they see serious potential. It's laughable all the (un)loveable losers here want to write him off already.
He played in 5 games and got 17 carries. If he were at Nebraska, played in 5 games and got 17 carries, I doubt you would be touting his playing time.

That's like saying the 6th string walk-on got carries in the old days so he played. You are comical and there is a reason people mock your takes. Go ahead and report me again, I'll be waiting Oldsoftie.

A running back who couldn't make it at a big program isn't going to turn into a franchise running back here. They need to either recruit a franchise running back out of high school or get a high achiever from a smaller school. Our running back recruiting has been pretty pathetic over the past 10 years or so.
I am hopeful for Parker but Ajay Allen did impress me more than any other back in a long time. If I remember correctly, he fell to the wayside because of an injury.

He played in 5 games and got 17 carries. If he were at Nebraska, played in 5 games and got 17 carries, I doubt you would be touting his playing time.
His point without all of his name calling would have been fair. Oregon over the past few years has far out recruited us at RB so playing time is probably much tougher to get there than in Lincoln. IF Dowdell can be a solid back for us regardless of his speed, he’ll help. We’ve had too many guys who couldn’t hold on to the ball or stay healthy.

His point without all of his name calling would have been fair. Oregon over the past few years has far out recruited us at RB so playing time is probably much tougher to get there than in Lincoln. IF Dowdell can be a solid back for us regardless of his speed, he’ll help. We’ve had too many guys who couldn’t hold on to the ball or stay healthy.
The name calling is justified because these assholes try to grind me on absolutely everything I post, and it's really pissing me off. I haven't posted an on-topic post in months, but the moment I do, the leodisflowers dipshit has to come in here and personally insult me for no reason.

You don't know anything, especially about me or what I think, and got your head so far up your ass here. I've consistently praised true freshman who have gotten touches here. Yet you conveniently forget or ignore that because you have some sort of agenda against me. Just **** off for once and keep your baseless thoughts to yourself.

I am hopeful for Parker but Ajay Allen did impress me more than any other back in a long time. If I remember correctly, he fell to the wayside because of an injury.

You are right. He looked real good then all of the sudden got fumbilitis as well. I feel like his head just wasn't in it with the coaching change. He was definitely a talent and wished he could have developed here.

You don't know anything, especially about me or what I think, and got your head so far up your ass here. I've consistently praised true freshman who have gotten touches here. Yet you conveniently forget or ignore that because you have some sort of agenda against me. Just **** off for once and keep your baseless thoughts to yourself.
My gawd you are a sensitive one, never seen anything like it.

I wouldn’t say I don’t know anything about you… you’ve revealed an awful lot on this board about yourself. You absolutely are incapable of having a conversation with anyone on this board who disagrees with you, for starters. Everyone else is wrong. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen you say to another poster on this board, “You make a good point.” Because if it isn’t what’s in your head, it’s absolutely wrong. Your name calling and insulting of other posters is over the top as well.

So yeah, I know a thing or two about you. When you face a little message board adversity, you rage. I’d hate to see what real life with you is like.

I wouldn’t say I don’t know anything about you… you’ve revealed an awful lot on this board about yourself. You absolutely are incapable of having a conversation with anyone on this board who disagrees with you, for starters. Everyone else is wrong. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen you say to another poster on this board, “You make a good point.” Because if it isn’t what’s in your head, it’s absolutely wrong. Your name calling and insulting of other posters is over the top as well.

So yeah, I know a thing or two about you. When you face a little message board adversity, you rage. I’d hate to see what real life with you is like.
Careful. He's going to hit the report button. Charmin Oldjar. Softest thing known to man.

Reactions: Laner2
The name calling is justified because these assholes try to grind me on absolutely everything I post, and it's really pissing me off. I haven't posted an on-topic post in months, but the moment I do, the leodisflowers dipshit has to come in here and personally insult me for no reason.
Oldjar; "Maybe I'm the baddie since it seems everyone is so mean to me?"

**Oldjar ponders**

Oldjar; "Nope. It's definitely everyone else who are the problem."

I agree. Given Ervins and Rahmir's injury history, we need someone, other than Ives, who is at least physically ready to carry the ball.

Reactions: Truewooper
I’m trying to be diplomatic but sometimes you invite the vitriol. I’ve taken some shots from just about everyone on this board sometimes deservedly so. You take some pretty strong stands on some fairly weak positions sometimes. Trying to respond politely to some not so polite shots at yourself would maybe be beneficial. You’re clearly not a troll and as Husker fans we all want the same thing.

Reactions: HuskerO and timnsun

You don't know a ****ing thing about me. So stop pretending like you do.

By the way, I have said that exact phrase before, you can see it on my post history. I also have 10 pages full of comments with "I agree", with whichever poster - which is essentialy the same sentiment. So yeah, you're completely wrong about me... again. The reason I don't say "You make a good point" to you is because you never do. I have said it before - to other posters... just not to you, because you've never said anything deserving of it. Your takes are awful and you've been nothing but disrespectful and disparaging to me for the longest time. That's probably a good part of the reason why I've never said it to you.

Thing is I'm highly egalitarian by nature, and I try to treat everybody with a blank slate. Somehow that seems to rub a few posters here the wrong way, and they seem to hold grudges or think their agenda conflicts with mine when it actually doesn't. I don't know, I don't hold grudges against anybody, I don't feel why some people feel the need to hold grudges against me. I have absolutely zero desire to treat anyone with hostility. If you feel that is coming from me and somehow it is directed at you, I'll just say that I'm very likely not the originator of said hostility. I also have no wish that it continue. I post on many other forums including reddit and have never been involved so much where people want to make things deeply personal. Once again, I have absolutely no desire for that.

Last edited:
You don't know a ****ing thing about me. So stop pretending like you do.

By the way, I have said that exact phrase before, you can see it on my post history. I also have 10 pages full of comments with "I agree", with whichever poster - which is essentialy the same sentiment. So yeah, you're completely wrong about me... again. The reason I don't say "You make a good point" to you is because you never do. I have said it before - to other posters... just not to you, because you've never said anything deserving of it. Your takes are awful and you've been nothing but disrespectful and disparaging to me for the longest time. That's probably a good part of the reason why I've never said it to you.

Thing is I'm highly egalitarian by nature, and I try to treat everybody with a blank slate. Somehow that seems to rub a few posters here the wrong way, and they seem to hold grudges or think their agenda conflicts with mine when it actually doesn't. I don't know, I don't hold grudges against anybody, I don't feel why some people feel the need to hold grudges against me.
Your posting style suggests you do hold grudges. I’m not the only one you continuously name call and cajole, even when it isn’t reciprocated. I’ve responded in kind a few times, simply out of frustration.

Because I am a constant target of your ire, I do get snarky with you. It really shouldn’t surprise you. You want me to stop the snark? If you stop with the name calling it just might help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT