ADVERTISEMENT

4 star RB N!! Jamarion Parker

We really needed a top shelf guy. I think our RB coach sucks.

Hopefully this kid pans out, but he only relied on his speed to the edge in HS, and the game speeds up at the next level leaving me to wonder what else he can do?

Reactions: Truewooper
We really needed a top shelf guy. I think our RB coach sucks.

Hopefully this kid pans out, but he only relied on his speed to the edge in HS, and the game speeds up at the next level leaving me to wonder what else he can do?
He is a stronger tougher MO Washington. He did OK getting to the edge. Glad Parker is tougher mentally.

I will say the entire RB room has a lot to prove.

No arguments from me. I think our RB room is a case of people mistaking "bodies" for depth. I'm not sure we have a RB currently that would be in the top half of the BIG. Just a whole lot of unknown and a lot to prove. Also have to realize we had the threat of QB run game last year which schematically opened up some lanes for our RBs. This year that probably won't be the case. Our OL and our RBs are gonna have to be much better this year.

If I had to pick one position that I'm least confident in going into the season it would be RB.

EJ has actually grown on me and I think he's solid. Rahmir is probably just "ok" for me. Like I said if healthy I like Ervin as "ok".

Maybe it's just me but I think we need to be much better than just "ok" at the RB position.

Holla

Maybe but is taking more freshmen running backs the way to fix the situation?

Now that I don't know. I think the kid is definitely more talented but physically he's probably not ready to go yet. But he has another year of HS. He's already as big as Rahmir and EJ so. Guess we shall see. Just wanna see us recruiting/signing dudes at the RB slot.

Holla

Reactions: solarpanels
He is a stronger tougher MO Washington. He did OK getting to the edge. Glad Parker is tougher mentally.

Wow, not sure I'd go there. I agree with the stronger tougher part but the comparison not so much. Man Mo made some cuts that looked abnormal. Not sure I see THAT from him. But I agree he has nice shiftiness and wiggle. I love the pickup. I think he's legit.

Holla

Reactions: solarpanels
No arguments from me. I think our RB room is a case of people mistaking "bodies" for depth. I'm not sure we have a RB currently that would be in the top half of the BIG. Just a whole lot of unknown and a lot to prove. Also have to realize we had the threat of QB run game last year which schematically opened up some lanes for our RBs. This year that probably won't be the case. Our OL and our RBs are gonna have to be much better this year.

If I had to pick one position that I'm least confident in going into the season it would be RB.

EJ has actually grown on me and I think he's solid. Rahmir is probably just "ok" for me. Like I said if healthy I like Ervin as "ok".

Maybe it's just me but I think we need to be much better than just "ok" at the RB position.

Holla
I think that side has much to prove based on just last year and that includes the coaches. The OL/RB and run game is a big area of concern.

Reactions: kakdawg
Agreed. I hope I am wrong, but this is what I am talking about-- getting excited about bringing in a backup from a rival school. Seems like 75% of the transfers we take either were backups or started but coming off a major injury. And then when they get here we expect them to help us beat the same type of teams that they couldn't start for. The vast majority are just backups for us.

What is the percentage of those Georgia and Alabama transfers who were full time starters vs. backups/never saw the field?
Dowdell looked like the next coming of Roger Craig in the spring scrimmage. High knees tackle breaking big back who was tough to tackle. IF he can show in the B1G what he showed in the spring game he’ll be just fine.

Dowdell looked like the next coming of Roger Craig in the spring scrimmage. High knees tackle breaking big back who was tough to tackle. IF he can show in the B1G what he showed in the spring game he’ll be just fine.
If he's 75% the talent at NU that Craig was (minus all his fumbles) I'll be happy. As far as speed, he's nowhere near as fast as Craig was in college Dowdell has decent speed, far from the kind of back that's gonna go 94 or 95 yards against FSU like Roger did.

Reactions: GBRforLife1

Holla
This. EJ is the only one that has shown that he has the ability to be good.

Looked like a plodder to me who had a big run vs what appeared to be lower level defenders. Look who is chasing him on that TD run.

Idk maybe I missed it. Or maybe my expectations where just too high for him. But I didn't see anything that made me say "we have a guy".

He generally got what the play was blocked to get. Nothing special imo

Holla

Holla
Agreed on Rahmir. He's fine and Gabe seems alright.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Word on the street is that they aren’t super impressed with him. He’s not that franchise RB that the are still looking for.

Word on the street is that they aren’t super impressed with him. He’s not that franchise RB that the are still looking for.
A running back who couldn't make it at a big program isn't going to turn into a franchise running back here. They need to either recruit a franchise running back out of high school or get a high achiever from a smaller school. Our running back recruiting has been pretty pathetic over the past 10 years or so.

A running back who couldn't make it at a big program isn't going to turn into a franchise running back here. They need to either recruit a franchise running back out of high school or get a high achiever from a smaller school. Our running back recruiting has been pretty pathetic over the past 10 years or so.
And I said this so many times before I sound like a broken record, but a lot of people spent so much time lamenting Rhule's retention of Coach Raiola they never stopped to look at how potent he has been on the recruiting side of things. Meanwhile, Barthel can't land a B10 back. I doubt things will change even if Parker doesn't pan out and the backs drop balls. EJ has been with Rhule a long time and I doubt Rhule would look in a different direction unless the room unraveled.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Im struggling to remember any RB that was here the past 10 years. I remember the Missouri guy who retired with the bad knees, amanti cross, and Anthony grant.

Looked like a plodder to me who had a big run vs what appeared to be lower level defenders. Look who is chasing him on that TD run.

Idk maybe I missed it. Or maybe my expectations where just too high for him. But I didn't see anything that made me say "we have a guy".

He generally got what the play was blocked to get. Nothing special imo

Holla

Reminded me of the USC transfer

Although Trey Palmer would disagree. Usually, you are correct though.

I am not sure you need a single RB to be one of the best in the Big Ten in order to have a good to great running game. Yes it helps but on average about 55 teams per year, over the past 15 years, had a 1000 yard back. Offenses are changing quickly. Last year the individual leader in yards per game was the Missouri kid, that transferred from DII, or whatever, and he averaged 125 ypg. The year before it was 155 ypg and 2021 it was 145 ypg. College football is a pass first operation now days.

Meh speed. Still a guy DBs will struggle to tackle. He trucked a couple of guys in that scrimmage who are going to play on D for us.
Exactly... Were some watching a different spring game? Other than the big run, I saw a back who embraced contact and lowered his shoulders to punish defenders. Size and speed with power and caught a ball or two. What else more do you need other than have the big guy work toward perfecting his pass blocking?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT