ADVERTISEMENT

33-23-1 isn't so bad

moralvictories

First Team All-Big Ten
Jan 22, 2022
The baseball team got off to a rough start, but finished 33-23-1, which isn't too bad. Iowa swept us and we lost the series with Maryland, but aside from that we won the series against all of the other conference opponents we played. Based on how we looked in the B1G tournament, I would say we are the 3rd best team in the conference.

3rd best....but isn't this league basically a 3 team league with baseball? I do not pay attention to baseball but that was what I was told when we came to the BIG.

The baseball team got off to a rough start, but finished 33-23-1, which isn't too bad. Iowa swept us and we lost the series with Maryland, but aside from that we won the series against all of the other conference opponents we played. Based on how we looked in the B1G tournament, I would say we are the 3rd best team in the conference.
3rd best team in Nebraska?

Totally agree it’s not good and actually Our conference record might have been different if we play Indiana and Rutgers instead of Penn State and Northwestern.
Agree with this. The conference record was okay, but the schedule was set up nicely for a run at the regular season title. It was downright Iowa football-esque.

Username checks out

No not bad considering the pitching let downs all year. But Nebraska should win the big ten almost every year.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
They have depth just inconsistencies weather it’s poor development or poor coaching or things haven’t clicked for the kid
Maybe it’s because I just woke up. But I got to the 6th word and got confused for a bit.
😂

Reactions: huntered
This isn't Cali or Florida, but the baseball talent in Nebraska, particularly the metro, continues to be excellent for possible D1 players. NU has to get the top talent around here consistently.
Another thing that I noticed is that in the recent past, NU has gotten commits from talented metro guys that didn't have the makeup for the D1 baseball grind. Gotta find kids that love every aspect of being part of a program.

This isn't Cali or Florida, but the baseball talent in Nebraska, particularly the metro, continues to be excellent for possible D1 players. NU has to get the top talent around here consistently.
Another thing that I noticed is that in the recent past, NU has gotten commits from talented metro guys that didn't have the makeup for the D1 baseball grind. Gotta find kids that love every aspect of being part of a program.
Why in the world would any high level D1 level talent not go down south where you can work on your game uninhibited by the weather - top level talent isn’t going to commit to play in the big ten

Last edited:
Reactions: king_kong_
Why in the world would any high level D1 level talent not go down south where you can work on your game inhibited by the weather - top level talent isn’t going to commit to play in the big ten
While factors for commitment are different now than they were even two years ago, being close to home is still a factor for kids.

USC might change that (an incredible 12 national championships) although their greatest baseball teams ended about the same time as our greatest football teams.
USC and UCLA can kiss their title hopes goodbye

They have sold their success for a mix of mediocrity and media money

• Haha
Reactions: moralvictories
While factors for commitment are different now than they were even two years ago, being close to home is still a factor for kids.
Yes - by all means if baseball isn’t a priority then staying close to home to play in the big ten is a sensible option

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
USC and UCLA can kiss their title hopes goodbye

They have sold their success for a mix of mediocrity and media money
Joining the B1G had nothing to do with our sports teams sinking down the tubes. It had to do with years of bad coaching hires.

You have stated on multiple occasions that the B1G west is the weakest division in all of college football. If that's the case, we should be winning our division every single year. The only reason we haven't been is due to poor coaching. Hopefully that ends under Matt Rhule, hopefully we can start competing for B1G championships.

Joining the B1G had nothing to do with our sports teams sinking down the tubes. It had to do with years of bad coaching hires.

You have stated on multiple occasions that the B1G west is the weakest division in all of college football. If that's the case, we should be winning our division every single year. The only reason we haven't been is due to poor coaching. Hopefully that ends under Matt Rhule, hopefully we can start competing for B1G championships.
it's not just us

the B1G has 2 outright football titles in 53 years of modern college football, both won by the same school

the B1G has 1 basketball title this millennium despite receiving by far the most tourney bids

every school in the B1G is the exact same & largely enjoys the exact same lack of national success. some just get more publicity than others.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
it's not just us

the B1G has 2 outright football titles in 53 years of modern college football, both won by the same school

the B1G has 1 basketball title this millennium despite receiving by far the most tourney bids

every school in the B1G is the exact same & largely enjoys the exact same lack of national success. some just get more publicity than others.
UCLA and USC have fallen into mediocrity long before they decided to join the B1G. If anything, shouldn't playing an easier conference schedule help lift them out of mediocrity?

UCLA and USC have fallen into mediocrity long before they decided to join the B1G. If anything, shouldn't playing an easier conference schedule help lift them out of mediocrity?
USC will trounce their way through the league for a few years just like we did

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT