ADVERTISEMENT

28 days till Husker football!!

You could see the frustration in Coach Rhule's face last year. He's just dying to find a competent QB and keeps on rolling snake eyes. He knew how bad it was when he took the job. That's why he made the gamble on Sims. The cupboard was bare. Why did Frost not have someone to compete with Amart is beyond me.
Is that why he inexplicably chose to be the only P5 program in the country not to hire a QB coach?

It didn't seem to matter whom they put in at QB last year. They all managed to lose in spectacular ways. It was almost hilarious (not too funny as a Husker fan). Remember when he finally gave Sims another shot late in the year and Sims drops the snap on the first play. I felt sorry for him. He had the measurables. He just couldn't handle the pressure (mentally). Then Rhule would put in Purdy. He's leading them down the field. Then he throws the pass behind the receiver. Pick. HH results were just as hilarious. Was he more effective with more snaps? Certainly. But he was still just as ineffective as the others. Worst QB room in FBS. Fast forward to today, HH looks like a competent 3rd stringer.
Almost as if having a QB coach matters.

Who’d have thought?

Almost as if having a QB coach matters.

Who’d have thought?
As explosive as T Martinez was, and he was one fast sob, at that time he had the MOST turnovers of any QB in NCAA history, and Ameer had the 1st or 2nd most turnovers for a back in the NCAA. Its a miracle they won any games. How often do you have 2 of the biggest fumble/turnover guys in the same backfield and still manage to win a lot of games?

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
Winningest Husker QB since Tommy Armstrong

That fact is not exaggerated one bit, no matter how much anyone dislikes it

There’s a reason he’s still here and started the spring game
While going 5-3 in D1 football is quite impressive. He also benefited from playing 5 cupcake teams with a combine record of 27-35. While having a top 15 defense and leading us to the top 113th best offense. You can point to win percentages all you want, but the facts remain that he is not a D1 QB. I suggest you look at the numbers, before replying. It would look a lot worse if they listed his fumbles lost. No quarterback coach could fix that inconsistency. My guess is it was the coaches fault that he fumbled the ball every 10 carries...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4683263/heinrich-haarberg

Seemingly every thread moves to toward our QB’s from last year and because he is the only one still here HH bears the brunt of all the animosity. He was the best option of the three and is a homegrown kid who doesn’t deserve the hate. He was basically a freshman - good grief.

Injuries jacked up the O’s whole season and made it a crap show. The coaches did their best to scheme for the “new” environment they had. No one wanted the offense we used but it served its purpose in giving us a chance to win most games .. which b/c we turned it over so much led to the record we had.

I will bite. Slow afternoon.

HH is a serviceable QB. He is definitely athletic and competes hard. He is team first and has many intangibles going for him.

Those don't always translate into big time college QB play. He is missing the processing skills and all that goes with translating it onto the field. I would never dog the kid on effort or leadership, he gives 100% but he is not inherently gifted as a college QB. He performed best when protection broke down and on the edge when he could out flank. He certainly wasn't adept at ball fakes and confusing the D with pitches and such. His passing speaks for itself, what we see is what he is or was.

All that said, IMHO, he got dealt an even worse hand with the loss of so many receivers early in the year. I know I sound like a broken record but the communication between the o-line, center, QB and WR's has to be there. A blitz is coming, the QB sees it, but does the center and does the WR get the signal to alter his route? I will stand up for the kid and speculate that a more experienced WR group would have helped him immensely. Even Fidone, who seemed like his favorite target is still young and short on game experience. The o-line, while improved was still not there. Then throw in we got down how many RB's because of injury? We were down to a talented but 180lb RB? That won't get it done long in this league.

Bottom line is I think if/when HH gets in there, you will see improvement just from the fact that people around him will be better, barring massive injuries like we witnessed last year. Also the coaches won't ask him to do as much. Just one person's opinion.

Seemingly every thread moves to toward our QB’s from last year and because he is the only one still here HH bears the brunt of all the animosity. He was the best option of the three and is a homegrown kid who doesn’t deserve the hate. He was basically a freshman - good grief.

Injuries jacked up the O’s whole season and made it a crap show. The coaches did their best to scheme for the “new” environment they had. No one wanted the offense we used but it served its purpose in giving us a chance to win most games .. which b/c we turned it over so much led to the record we had.
It's not hate. It's an acknowledgement that players like HH will get us 5 wins. Thank God for DR.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT