ADVERTISEMENT

24 Straight Conference Losses For Fred Hoiberg...

potentially there is no question about it, but last night was so difficult to watch I realized we have some players that wouldn’t be here for very long..
Yep yep. It will all work itself out for sure. No reason to come here like many cryin their eyes out lol

Reactions: scarletred
I know we never want to miss and opportunity to bash the football coach, ever. But this is pretty lame.

Basketball has a roster of 12, football has a roster of 100+, it does take more time to turn around a football program.

Hoiberg only had one player on the roster, that played for Miles. He chose to blow up the whole roster when he was hired and then did it again, after his first year.

I liked the Hoiberg hire and think he needs ample time, but this has been brutal. We want to crucify Frost for not turning around a losing program in a couple years, and much of that is deserved, as it’s his job to turn it around. But Hoiberg took a program that had back to back winning seasons and has lost 24 confernece games in a row and usually we aren’t even competitive.

As if he had a choice with blowing up the roster. What other Miles players should have been kept? The roster was set up to be a disaster regardless of who the coach was.

Danny Nee was definitely a solid head coach in the beginning part of his coaching career. The final few years things kind of feel apart on him though. But he was definitely a solid Head Coach.

409-382 (51%) for an overall record.
Still the most successful coach at Neb. His 91 team was a top 10 club...a 3 seed in the dance.

Reactions: saltsdogg
As if he had a choice with blowing up the roster. What other Miles players should have been kept? The roster was set up to be a disaster regardless of who the coach was.

yeah there wasn’t a single player on that roster that would have been even a immediate back up on another BIG 10 or ACC roster. Plain and simple. It’s why Fred did what he did. But I doubt he foreseen having the trouble he did getting transfers wanting to join the Huskers like he did. We got some but nothing to great (and still better then what he inherited).

Last edited:
Patient? I’ve been patient since 1998 for football and forever for basketball.
You seem like someone who is bout to go batsheit crazy. You might want to take a break.
And really, what good does it do for people to come here who know nothing or very little about the situation and what is in the works.
This is no time for cryin or quitters.
I take the other approach.... support, stay strong because things are falling in place.

Reactions: saltsdogg
Nee was a darn good recruiter and had some excellent recruiting classes in Lincoln. But eventually his lack of fundamental coaching(especially on the defensive side) did him in.

No question about that.. He also wasn’t the best X’s and O’s man on the chalk board..

You seem like someone who is bout to go batsheit crazy. You might want to take a break.
And really, what good does it do for people to come here who know nothing or very little about the situation and what is in the works.
This is no time for cryin or quitters.
I take the other approach.... support, stay strong because things are falling in place.

again no break for me.
Now if you’re satisfied with the status quo then more power to you.
As far as what good it does for me to post, I would say the same amount of good as you coming on here posting about your supporting the losing mentality. Not a whole lot.
But you do you and I’ll do me

The only guy it maybe would have been okay to keep around was Thomas Allen and I think he was gone before Hoiberg was hired wasn't he? Actually I think Miles should be glad he got fired because his next year was going to be a sh## show barring some miraculous immediately eligible transfers in of 5 starters. The dangling contract killed what recruiting Miles was capable of. To me, this year feels like an aberration for Fred. There's just too many colliding circumstances for me to get too worked up. He's going after and landing some highly ranked true freshmen now which I think longer term is a better plan for the B1G. Make your freshman class the base and supplement with a transfer every now and then.

No question about that.. He also wasn’t the best X’s and O’s man on the chalk board..
My kid got to sit on the bench for a game and then go in to the locker room at half time of the game as part of an award from one of Nee's camps. He said "all he did was swear the whole time'. I guess if you view inspirational use of the F word then Nee was truly a half time motivator. I'm sure it wasn't anything my kid hadn't heard or used before but it didn't sound like there was a whole lot of x's and o's involved just a lot of F's.Laughing I think Danny is/was probably a pretty good guy and I've never heard one of his former players bad mouth him. Of course they didn't have Twitter back then.

The only guy it maybe would have been okay to keep around was Thomas Allen and I think he was gone before Hoiberg was hired wasn't he? Actually I think Miles should be glad he got fired because his next year was going to be a sh## show barring some miraculous immediately eligible transfers in of 5 starters. The dangling contract killed what recruiting Miles was capable of. To me, this year feels like an aberration for Fred. There's just too many colliding circumstances for me to get too worked up. He's going after and landing some highly ranked true freshmen now which I think longer term is a better plan for the B1G. Make your freshman class the base and supplement with a transfer every now and then.

I would not put a lot of hope in the incoming "big". He will either be stuck playing the 4, where he will be abused by actual PF's...or playing in the post where he will be abused worse than my prom date.

The brother (not racist) is interesting. Could be a star, it will be interesting to see what happens when the scout is done on him and he has no one to pass the rock to.

I would not put a lot of hope in the incoming "big". He will either be stuck playing the 4, where he will be abused by actual PF's...or playing in the post where he will be abused worse than my prom date.

The brother (not racist) is interesting. Could be a star, it will be interesting to see what happens when the scout is done on him and he has no one to pass the rock to.
The incoming "big" isn't going to play the 5. He may get switched off on bigs sometimes but we've got Walker and Andre. I would bet money that Andre is a lot stronger by next fall. I've heard that he lost over 20lbs with COVID. If Baby Mac can shoot some 3s and is the same kind of athlete as his brother, it could be fun to watch.

Reactions: IowaHuskr
My kid got to sit on the bench for a game and then go in to the locker room at half time of the game as part of an award from one of Nee's camps. He said "all he did was swear the whole time'. I guess if you view inspirational use of the F word then Nee was truly a half time motivator. I'm sure it wasn't anything my kid hadn't heard or used before but it didn't sound like there was a whole lot of x's and o's involved just a lot of F's.

To be fair, the X's and O's are done at that point. There are not wholesale changes at halftime, we like to romanticize that a bit. The most I have ever done at the half in my one season of miserbally coaching basketball was say to the HC something like "What about a zone" or "Just give it to __________, they can't stop it"

When the game starts, the hay is in the barn. It is really minor shit that you change, like hedging or not hedging or maybe changing a dude you are guarding with another dude. That doesn't take a lot of time to discuss.

Every halftime I have ever been a part of I do the same thing

1. What we did well
2. What we did bad
3. What we have seen
4. What I think we might see

That is pretty much it.

The incoming "big" isn't going to play the 5. He may get switched off on bigs sometimes but we've got Walker and Andre. I would bet money that Andre is a lot stronger by next fall. I've heard that he lost over 20lbs with COVID. If Baby Mac can shoot some 3s and is the same kind of athlete as his brother, it could be fun to watch.

Yikes.

When you watch Andre you can tell he's got some skills that Yvan doesn't have. I think he can get a lot better. With Andre, Yvan and Walker we've at least got a few guys who can hold their own potentially against some of the big guys in the Big 10. We've got to have better play than we're getting from Teddy and some of the other guys though. Teddy just kills us with stupid fouls and turnovers. I don't care how much he scores when he turns the ball over 3 times in a row.

To be fair, the X's and O's are done at that point. There are not wholesale changes at halftime, we like to romanticize that a bit. The most I have ever done at the half in my one season of miserbally coaching basketball was say to the HC something like "What about a zone" or "Just give it to __________, they can't stop it"

When the game starts, the hay is in the barn. It is really minor shit that you change, like hedging or not hedging or maybe changing a dude you are guarding with another dude. That doesn't take a lot of time to discuss.

1. What we did well
2. What we did bad
3. What we have seen

That is pretty much it.
Well that's kind of what I mean. It didn't sound like there was ANY of the what we need to do better or different in the second half. It was just a bunch of swearing and ass chewing. Maybe that's all that was needed I dunno.

We were legitimately good. If 10 wins and multiple conference championship appearances is average, then what we have now is complete dogshit. It goes both ways.

2 years finishing the season unranked in the AP poll. One time finishing above #20 in the final AP poll.

And what we have now is exactly that....complete dogshit.

Reactions: oldjar07

1. What we did well
2. What we did bad
3. What we have seen

That is pretty much it.
And don’t forget - the same five guys who started the game MUST start the second half. Even if a bench player went for 15 points and 10 boards by halftime and one of the starters went 0-for-10 and took a dump on the court. Starters Start the Second Half is on page 1 of The Big Book of Basketball Coaching.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
And don’t forget - the same five guys who started the game MUST start the second half. Even if a bench player went for 15 points and 10 boards by halftime and one of the starters went 0-for-10 and took a dump on the court. Starters Start the Second Half is on page 1 of The Big Book of Basketball Coaching.
I have not noticed that BUT coaches LOVE shit like this.

Fran at Iowa has a "2 fouls and you sit for the first half" policy

Great thinking, sit some of your best players for 10 minutes...idiot

I have not noticed that BUT coaches LOVE shit like this.

Fran at Iowa has a "2 fouls and you sit for the first half" policy

Great thinking, sit some of your best players for 10 minutes...idiot
Oh yeah, I think a starter has to actually get charged with a felony in the first half in order to not start the second - and that’s only if he doesn’t make bail.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
McDermott does the same thing with 2 fouls in the first half.
Off the top of my head I would say about 80% of coaches follow that rule. Benching them in the second half on their 3rd foul is almost as common, and makes even less sense to me. Often the player doesn’t get back on the court until the game is out of reach, so he might as well have just fouled out.

again no break for me.
As far as what good it does for me to post, I would say the same amount of good as you coming on here posting about your supporting the losing mentality. Not a whole lot.
It is sad, quite frankly, to ponder a .500 season being a good solid season for Frost next year. Never in my life (and I’ll be 53 at the end of the month) did I EVER think I’d accept a 6 win season as ok. It’s sad...but that is where the Neb program is at right now in its fight to take steps forward. For the record...I see anywhere from a 5-7 season next year to a peak of 7-5. So I’m laying best odds on .500 (6-6). People that hit these boards at times talking 10 possible wins? What in God’s green earth are they smoking? Or taking?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Off the top of my head I would say about 80% of coaches follow that rule. Benching them in the second half on their 3rd foul is almost as common, and makes even less sense to me. Often the player doesn’t get back on the court until the game is out of reach, so he might as well have just fouled out.
Closer to 100%

lets get this straight from the get go. It wouldn’t matter if we had Roy Williams or Coach K. from Duke. No one would be winning with the talent he inherited. I feel for Fred Hoiberg because our Husker basketball team is making him look absolutely horrible.

Once he gets players like 5 ⭐ Bryce McGowens and Top 100 Wilhelm Breindenbach to add with Walker, Trey, Branton and Allen, then we will see how things go. Fred inherited absolute garbage and right around the time when the BIG 10 basketball teams are all loaded up and very talented. Personally I’m completely ignoring this season and waiting to see how next year goes. Then I’ll start chiming in with worries or congrats.
Allen... I don't know about that. His brand is not what Hoiberg ball is about

Fred got rid of everyone except 1 or 2 guys and went and recruited these players. There are a few of these guys that have been playing together for over a year on the practice squad, this is hot garbage led by Fred.
Due to Covid 19, the practice schedule did not favor young new teams. They never had enough time to get together, hence the shitty product on the court. There is a reason why teams like Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina are all struggling this year. How many of their star players are one and done's?

How many of Nebraska's players that are playing right now were on the court last year. Trey McGowens and Dalano Banton are ballers, they will be much better next year with more time to get together.

again no break for me.
I will spell it out:
I hate crybabies who come here and whine when they know very little and perhaps most who come here cryin are the same pu..ies who attend the games and do the same sheit.
That's just the way I am.
I hate whining crybaby pu..ies.
Sorry!

I will spell it out:
I hate crybabies who come here and whine when they know very little and perhaps most who come here cryin are the same pu..ies who attend the games and do the same sheit.
That's just the way I am.
I hate whining crybaby pu..ies.
Sorry!

Let me spell it out for you

I don’t give one ****ola what you like or hate.

perhaps you should create your own forum where you can limit comments to people who think like you. So you can enjoy a safe place. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Let me spell it out for you

I don’t give one ****ola what you like or hate.

perhaps you should create your own forum where you can limit comments to people who think like you. So you can enjoy a safe place. Just a thought.
Reported

It could be a Les Miles at Kansas situation. Not a fan of CBB, but a program like Nebraska needs a young up and comer with a vision and connections to recruit.
Yeah hasn't Miles flamed out at Kansas...I would have thought you would have seen some improvement.

Miles had a very good recruiting class this past year...all HS kids. They have one or two more years before they can start being competitive. He likely won’t be here to see it through, but some building blocks in place.

Bryce is going to help quite a bit, but we need some of these other guys to play better. Trey has to be better on offense. Our inside play has to be better on offense. I still think the biggest thing that's hurt this year has been how bad Thor has been. He played well vs Illinois, but had given us zero on offense before that.

we have
Bryce is going to help quite a bit, but we need some of these other guys to play better. Trey has to be better on offense. Our inside play has to be better on offense. I still think the biggest thing that's hurt this year has been how bad Thor has been. He played well vs Illinois, but had given us zero on offense before that.
Banton's ankle injury seems to have really sunk his production. Lat has finally stepped up his game. Teddy not destroying us with silly fouls and turnovers is a big deal. IF he can do going forward what he did against Illinois in not forcing up bad shots and dribbling in to trouble, he can help us. McGowens was a stud on D especially agaisnt the Illinois. You put him and his brother together on the floor at the same time and that's a problem for opposing guards. Then you add 20 lbs to Andre and let Walker fully acclimate to playing again and you've got a pretty darned nice first 5. I like where this is going personally regardless of how this year ends.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT