ADVERTISEMENT

24 Straight Conference Losses For Fred Hoiberg...

McGowens and Breidenbach have to be having 2nd thoughts right now. Have to hope they don't ask to get out of their LOIs.

I think the Nebraska High School All-State team could beat the Huskers this year (Hepburn, Sallis, Traudt, Fidler, St Thomas).
I am glad you included St. Thomas. I was very impressed with his performance in the state championship game last year. I think he is underappreciated because he plays with Sallis.

Early in the season I thought the players were looking better. Now they play with no confidence in themselves and each other. They get down about 10 points, they need a bucket, and make a dumb ass turnover, a dumb ass charge, or shoot a quick hero 3 pointer, and they suddenly are on their way to being down 15. They are one of the dumbest teams I have observed.

Finally, when they start slipping they play with no cohesiveness. Looks like Fred has lost this team which is a shame.

Now THAT is a bold prediction. Wisconsin played pretty crappy last night and its shooting woes continued, and they still won by 13. The way Illinois has been playing, Friday could get really, really ugly.

As a big Illini fan, I feel like they are due for one of those games...a lame ass loss that basically takes them out of a chance to win the conference title and kills any (longshot) hope at a 1 seed.

yes, it was.

the NIT is a consolation prize. nobody, and I mean nobody, cares about that tournament.

there is no chance even 5% of people here can name the last winner without looking it up.
You are wrong on this. Per usual. Winning the NiT was a pretty big deal.

You are wrong on this. Per usual. Winning the NiT was a pretty big deal.
to whom?

you, per usual, are claiming to be somehow correct without any sort of quantifiable proof

let me guess - if even 1 person out of 8 billion on the planet says it's a big deal, that makes you right

I'd be willing to bet any sum of money that the players and coaches on that team would trade their NIT title for just one single first round NCAA tournament win

to whom?

you, per usual, are claiming to be somehow correct without any sort of quantifiable proof

let me guess - if even 1 person out of 8 billion on the planet says it's a big deal, that makes you right

I'd be willing to bet any sum of money that the players and coaches on that team would trade their NIT title for just one single first round NCAA tournament win
Of course.

Actually winning the NIT is no big deal. Back then 64 teams got into the NCAA tournament, so winning the NIT makes you the 65th best team in the country?
this fact is obvious to all but those who possess shit for brains

(excluding my friend @scarletred, who no doubt followed that fun run closely & likely is including what that team and achievement meant to Husker hoops fans, who otherwise wouldn't know any better because we have never known even a modicum of national success, when he says it was a big deal)

Reactions: scarletred
For a program like Nebraska winning the NIT is big. For Kentucky? No.
at the time, Nebrasketball had been to the NCAA tourney 4x in the 5 seasons prior to the NIT win, including a Big 8 runner up and Big 8 tournament title and boasting 2 NBA first rounders

so, it pains me to say you're incorrect in your statement. the program at the time was in good shape, and should have accomplished much more than just this consolation prize.

what a shame. you hate to see it.

Reactions: Trojanhorse13
Actually winning the NIT is no big deal. Back then 64 teams got into the NCAA tournament, so winning the NIT makes you the 65th best team in the country?

If you want to look at it that way..There been plenty of teams that qualified by winning their conference tournament and had no business making it other wise with subpar losing records....

Teams that won the NIT could have easily beaten plenty of teams that qualify for the NCAA tournament..

Not saying the team that won the Big 8 tournament 2 years prior wasn’t a big accomplishment..

Last edited:
If you want to look at it that way..There been plenty of teams that qualified by winning their conference tournament and had no business making it other wise with subpar losing records....

Teams that won the NIT could have easily beaten plenty of teams that qualify for the NCAA tournament..

Not saying the team that won the Big 8 tournament 2 years prior wasn’t a big accomplishment..
I know there are several teams in the NCAA tournament that only get in because of winning a conference tournament. I also know that I have never heard of another program in the country bragging about going to the NIT or winning the NIT tournament. I don't care if it's Kentucky or Nebraska, winning the NIT is not something that should be looked at as a major accomplishment.

I know there are several teams in the NCAA tournament that only get in because of winning a conference tournament. I also know that I have never heard of another program in the country bragging about going to the NIT or winning the NIT tournament. I don't care if it's Kentucky or Nebraska, winning the NIT is not something that should be looked at as a major accomplishment.
It’s pretty big when you are the only Power 5
Program to never even win an NCAA game.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
It’s pretty big when you are the only Power 5
Program to never even win an NCAA game.

It is weird, really. I mean the chances of that are insane. It is not like they have not had decent teams and been the higher seed before.

Winning the NIT has been a springboard for some programs that are on the way up to better things. But in Nebraska's case, the Huskers were a couple years removed from four straight NCAA bids so the NIT was more of a landing spot on the way down. For that reason, I think the Big 8 Tournament title was bigger.

THIS!!! There are about 25 undeserving teams in every NCAA tourney....

potentially there is no question about it, but last night was so difficult to watch I realized we have some players that wouldn’t be here for very long..

And that’s just it. When we see results like we have this season, i completely get why some are having doubts or being skeptical. But Fred Hoiberg doesn’t do what he did at ISU if he was a bad coach or didn’t know how to coach (like a few hinted at in this thread). Now I’ll give this, maybe he’s lost the “IT” factor in the college ranks but being honest, I doubt it. Give him some good players and I betcha anything he’d be winning these games instead.

With all that said, I’d gladly give him another 4 to 5 years to do his thing. I don’t see us getting a better coach then Hoiberg.

No you haven't. Hoiberg has not been here for but a few years. You will see improvement next year. Stop whining.

nah. I refuse to succumb to the empathy. I’ll continue to expect winning programs. I’ll continue to criticize and critique as I see fit.

If you don’t want to read my posts you have options. The ignore button, the pay site, go to another board or don’t log on here, all will effectively relieve you from my “whining”.

tootles

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
No you haven't. Hoiberg has not been here for but a few years. You will see improvement next year. Stop whining.

it will no doubt come. No clue if it’s as early as next season or not, but he will turn this corner with our Huskers. A lot will factor in on how long he can keep Bryce McGowens here before he jumps to the NBA.

Edited: You said “We will see improvements next year”....that I agree with. We should see a big jump in progress next year. I misunderstood you at first.

Last edited:
Reactions: stucknks
I have zero hopes for Fred or any coach to come after.

Nebraska basketball is cursed. Theres no other way to put it.

The Bob was going to save it. Then each new coach. Then the pinnacle. Then new coaches. Etc etc rinse repeat.

Nebraska basketball is and forever will be cursed.

The official theme of Nebraska Basketball....it should be worn on our uniforms:

NEXT YEAR

I have zero hopes for Fred or any coach to come after.

Nebraska basketball is cursed. Theres no other way to put it.

The Bob was going to save it. Then each new coach. Then the pinnacle. Then new coaches. Etc etc rinse repeat.

Nebraska basketball is and forever will be cursed.

honestly, when I’m seeing Fred Hoiberg struggling like is with our basketball team, I’d have to agree. I thought for sure he’d have us winning actually fairly quick. But man, I have to admit, I think you’re onto something.

honestly, when I’m seeing Fred Hoiberg struggling like is with our basketball team, I’d have to agree. I thought for sure he’d have us winning actually fairly quick. But man, I have to admit, I think you’re onto something.
Its not just the “not winning”.

Its the level of bad. Its beyond bad, its unthinkable. We are so bad.

And wasnt teddy like an 85% free throw shooter his entire career....then gets to Nebraska and was shooting like 60% or something from the line?

Nebraska. Is. Cursed.

Its not just the “not winning”.

Its the level of bad. Its beyond bad, its unthinkable. We are so bad.

And wasnt teddy like an 85% free throw shooter his entire career....then gets to Nebraska and was shooting like 60% or something from the line?

Nebraska. Is. Cursed.

i was thinking the same thing the other day. We see guys come in that are fairly good at free throws but then they suit up in a Husker uniform and suddenly they become horrible free throws shooters. Same thing with 3 point shooting. It’s just crazy.

nah. I refuse to succumb to the empathy. I’ll continue to expect winning programs. I’ll continue to criticize and critique as I see fit.

If you don’t want to read my posts you have options. The ignore button, the pay site, go to another board or don’t log on here, all will effectively relieve you from my “whining”.

tootles
Nah, you better believe i will read your post but I'm calling you out every chance I get if you come here cryin, Ballin ur eyes out.

tootles
Nah lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT