ADVERTISEMENT

#21.....all bark,no bite.

v1nufan

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 15, 2018
Of course by watching on TV not able to see every defensive assignment as it transpires, but I couldn't be more unimpressed with #21 (intentionally not going to name him) on how he plays. I thought as a senior he'd be more about the team at this point and let his play do the talking for him, but he continues to have that vibe, imo, that he is a "me first" dude. Two plays stick out from last nights game;
--thought he had a chance to make an "attempt" to make a tackle of an Illinois player at the 5 yd line but meekly pushes him at the goal line.
--he comes free on the rush to the QB, finds himself in position to make a jarring, legal tackle but really shows no desire to show any physicality on the tackle, as though he fears HE might get hurt.

Sadly, I just think this is who he is at this point, not able or not willing to change. OSU is going to have a field day on his side of the field.
GBR !

Of course by watching on TV not able to see every defensive assignment as it transpires, but I couldn't be more unimpressed with #21 (intentionally not going to name him) on how he plays. I thought as a senior he'd be more about the team at this point and let his play do the talking for him, but he continues to have that vibe, imo, that he is a "me first" dude. Two plays stick out from last nights game;
--thought he had a chance to make an "attempt" to make a tackle of an Illinois player at the 5 yd line but meekly pushes him at the goal line.
--he comes free on the rush to the QB, finds himself in position to make a jarring, legal tackle but really shows no desire to show any physicality on the tackle, as though he fears HE might get hurt.

Sadly, I just think this is who he is at this point, not able or not willing to change. OSU is going to have a field day on his side of the field.
GBR !

Yet, Illinois picked on Bootle. Weird

Appreciate the high expectations for a talented player, but I don't think I've ever seen a player "make the play" or produce highlight every time they are in the position to do so (aka being human). He made a lot more plays than not and was one of the reasons we won. As far as being about himself... you are reading into things waaay too much.

GBR !
Wow... I could not disagree more. I think he has been great this year

I thought he passed up a tackle attempt on a TD and then didn't really line up for the point after attempt. I was worried it was a sign that the team was quitting. Boy was I wrong. Proud of him and the rest not quitting.

He really did have a great chance of hitting the QB on that non fumble attempt by Ill. I too thought that he was going to crush him but he actually pulled up to grab him.

He had some good hits too. Totally crushed their QB on the was-it-a-fumble play for instance
I thought that he played better this game also but I totally disagree on your description of him totally crushing the QB.I saw him pull up and grab instead of crushing him. The other rusher crushed him. I still enjoyed it, sorry for the nit picking, Charlie

GBR ![/QU

Yea I agree,
Lamar Jackson is playing great this year. Maybe re-watch his 2017 games and then re-watch this years and come back and tell us he isn't dramatically improved.

He didn't say he hadn't improved, just that he still plays like he is 5'10" and 150 lbs too often.

GBR !
You are totally clueless, Lamar is vastly improve over last year and is probably the best DB we have. All of our defensive player could tackle better with the exception of a couple of players, but Lamar is the least of our problems right now.

He’ll be playing on Sundays. NFL loves tall corners and his coverage has been solid.

In the past I have been extremely critical of Lamar's fear of physical contact, which is puzzling given his size and experience. But the big difference this year is that he is making plays.

People used to be highly critical of Deion Sanders for the same thing. Lamar is far from prime time, but he's still making plays for the defense. The one play I really hated was the long TD run Illinois had where Lamar just made a weak effort to get off his block.

He needs to understand that if the NFL is his goal, you better start putting out better film in situations like that because the NFL is for DBs with not only cover skills, but a savage mentality to destroy the opponent physically as well.

Reactions: timnsun

GBR !
Wrong.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
In all fairness, the fighting Illini did effectively pick on anybody. The QB was aweefuuuul

But you were looking at the results. If I threw 20 passes at 1 corner and 5 at the other, even if I only completed three passes I am still picking one of them to go after. The fact that there were a bunch of incompletions is somewhat irrelevant

GBR !

Don't think Jackson is in the top 25 of problems the team has this season. I think he's been pretty damn good.

And there is a reason Bootle had so many pass breakups last season.

Reactions: huntered
Pretty sure the OP is a Russian troll. 15 total posts is always a red flag. As many others have commented, Jackson is vastly improved in a TON of ways and hardly recognizable to the guy playing a couple years ago. The fact that the coaches trust and actually call his number to do corner blitzes speak to his ability and progression from years past.

Pretty sure the OP is a Russian troll. 15 total posts is always a red flag. As many others have commented, Jackson is vastly improved in a TON of ways and hardly recognizable to the guy playing a couple years ago. The fact that the coaches trust and actually call his number to do corner blitzes speak to his ability and progression from years past.

That actually just means he’s a boundary corner.

He’ll be playing on Sundays. NFL loves tall corners and his coverage has been solid.
Ended up being an ok college player.

No chance in the NFL. Doesn’t have the hips, speed, toughness or ball skills.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT