ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Predictions - first game less than 45 days

SnohomishRed

Offensive Coordinator
Jan 31, 2005
Snohomish
Like many fans I believe I was ready to give up on the huskers or at least my enthusiasm had been severely restrained - Then comes Frost - maybe the only coach able to get everyone on the same page. I think there is very little doubt we will be better but how much better is really the question and how long will it take

I say 7-5 first year and second year will be the break out season - several things are in our favor
  1. The coaching on the previous staff just sucked from strength and conditioning to schemes to how we practiced - That is in the process of changing
  2. Player buy in - Frost is a coach coming off an undefeated season - Riley was a coach that had only won a handful of conference games in his last couple of years at OSU. It matters the players will have buy in - if they start winning it will increase from there.
  3. The spread has already been fairly successful at Nebraska there is no reason why it will not be this time either
I think the defense will also get better and although I see us still struggling there I do think we will be much more aggressive

2ef0k8.jpg

I think the defense will also get better and although I see us still struggling there I do think we will be much more aggressive

It's kinda hard to see how the defense could conceivably get worse. I'm sure if the previous staff were still intact they'd show us. Thankfully that is not the case.

Reactions: Huskerpro
I have no feel for them yet. Need to watch a game. My gut says that just having a competent coaching staff gets this roster to 7, assuming we get slightly above avg QB play.

8-4. The best prediction I will make is NU beats Iowa this year.

I agree with this one. We hand Iowa there asses this year (and I don’t mean blow them out, just beat them). But I’m in the 7-5 to 8-4 range. We have one of the top WR set in the BIG10, plenty of talent all over the place and depending how Bell/Bryant and the rest of the RBs and A Martinez or Gebbia do in the back field will play out on well we do this season. Defense should be light years better and should get better ever game...there’s plenty of talent there to be a good defense.

9-3 Ls to Michigan, OSU, and MSU.

We will win the West and play OSU in the BIG title game.

We take 8 or 9, I think we have the talent.

Mostly though I think we have a staff that is used to producing winners, and I believe they have excellent communication skills...justified, confident, communication skills.

Add to this a positive, upbeat, experienced motivator like Ron Brown in the background supporting these guys off the field.

9-3.

I refuse to be pessimistic until the team shows me otherwise. I spend every spring and summer drinking red koolaid and cleaning my red tinted sun glasses.

We lose to OSU, MU, and Wisky. But that is it.

I'm counting this as year zero. I expect growing pains and Frost needs time and patience from fans to build this back up right. If I see effort, toughness and visible improvement from game 1 to game 12 I'll consider this season a success.
Wow, really sticking your neck out.

Reactions: bigredhunter
9 - 3 — we’ll upset somebody good, but lose one to someone we shouldn’t. The moves Frost has recently made, plugging holes with JUCOs and transfers have been truly impressive. Weight room work and attitude will be dramatically better.

W - 1-0 Akron, 55-17
W - 2-0 Colorado, 35-20
W - 3-0 Troy, 41-28
L - 3-1 Michigan, 17-31
W - 4-1 Purdue, 42-21
W - 5-1 Wisconsin, 38-28
W - 6-1 Northwestern, 56-14
W - 7-1 Minnesota, 49-10
L - 7-2 Ohio St, 21-34
W - 8-2 Illinois, 52-6
W - 9-2 Michigan St, 28-24
W - 10-2 Iowa, 31-21
L - 10-3 BIG vs Michigan, 24-27
??? Citrus Bowl vs Auburn

-HC Frost wins back to back coach of the year awards

-Gebbia or Martinez earns 2nd team B1G QB behind Trace McSorley, in front of Brian Lewerke

-All B1G Defense: Carlos Davis, Dedrick Young, Dicaprio Bootle, Breon Dixon

-All B1G Offense: Gebbia or Martinez, Tanner Farmer, Brenden Jaimes, Greg Bell, Stanley Morgan, JD Spielman

Last edited:
7-5

I think year 1 at UCF is a more relevant comparison to year 1 at Nebraska rather than looking at UCF in year 2.

I think we have less talent RELATIVE TO SCHEDULE than that UCF team.

We are also going to be starting a QB that has never taken a division one snap. It is highly unlikely that this QB will be a heisman candidate in year 2 similar to UCF. Milton played in 10 games Frost’s 1st year.

Finally our home vs away opponents 2017 win-loss record is widely skewed. Big swing games are NW and Iowa - both are on the road. That Colorado game at home week 2 is going to be huge. Lose that game and we may be in trouble.

The disparity in coaching talent will also be less playing a power 5 schedule versus a midmajor schedule

Last edited:
Gonna be tough to win the West with 3 conf loses. Wisconsin could slip up on the road a couple times but I don't see us getting a victory in Madison this year anyway.
Well Wisky will have 3 conference Ls too and we'll have the tie-breaker.

Man, a lot of people voting for 9-3 are gonna be disappointed come January. I'd be happy with 7-5 in year 1.

Reactions: ssmill777
If NU can get to 6-2 going into Columbus Ohio I would feel real good about finishing 8-4 and maybe playing in our first Outback bowl..

Split the Purdue and Northwestern games and we will be looking at a 7-5 season. Beating Iowa is a must.

Yep, year one has NU beating the Hawkeyes. It is indeed a "must". I doubt we lose to Purdue or NW.....8 wins works for me!

Ahhhhhh.....that kool-aid is delicous!

6- 6 Would be a disappointment; Bo could do that with our talent. 7-5 is to be expected with our new strength and conditioning program. 8-4 with good coaching, I would be happy. We are in one of the weakest divisions in college ball, weak nonconference schedule. 5 wins should be absolutely automatic, 6 expected with decent coaching, not great brings 7, good coaching gives us 8.

I think the ceiling is 9 wins and the floor is 5 wins.
My head tells me 6-6,
my heart tells me 8-4.

So my official prediction is 7-5 :)

I think year two is a 10 win season and maybe playing in B1G championship game. Hopefully in year 4 to 5 we should be the dominate team in the west.

W - 1-0 Akron, 55-17
W - 2-0 Colorado, 35-20
W - 3-0 Troy, 41-28
L - 3-1 Michigan, 17-31
W - 4-1 Purdue, 42-21
W - 5-1 Wisconsin, 38-28
W - 6-1 Northwestern, 56-14
W - 7-1 Minnesota, 49-10
L - 7-2 Ohio St, 21-34
W - 8-2 Illinois, 52-6
W - 9-2 Michigan St, 28-24
W - 10-2 Iowa, 31-21
L - 10-3 BIG vs Michigan, 24-27
??? Citrus Bowl vs Auburn

-HC Frost wins back to back coach of the year awards

-Gebbia or Martinez earns 2nd team B1G QB behind Trace McSorley, in front of Brian Lewerke

-All B1G Defense: Carlos Davis, Dedrick Young, Dicaprio Bootle, Breon Dixon

-All B1G Offense: Gebbia or Martinez, Tanner Farmer, Brenden Jaimes, Greg Bell, Stanley Morgan, JD Spielman

Michigan wins B1G without a all-Big Ten QB would be B1G news!

Reactions: dsmalls3
5-6. Losses to Southern Miss, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma and Colorado.

I believe Colorado, NW, Iowa, MSU, Wisconsin, and purdue all have returning starters at QB

Michigan has Shea Patterson
OSU is OSU

That leaves Illinois and Minnesota in the same boat as us at the most important position on the field.

2018 (7-5)
2019 (9-3)
2020 (10-2)
All I'm asking for is improvement each season until we are a top 10-15 team in the country every season with a top 5 occasionally... I do honestly believe we will accomplish this feat.. Possibly even a natty or two... After the train wreck we have been through for a long time you won't hear any complaing from me to have Frost field a competent team... GBFR!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT