ADVERTISEMENT

2 weeks from Wed and all is (unfortunately) quiet

top 25 with the right guy at QB is more than fine
you cannot miss time and time again at the QB position
we are never going to go toe to toe with Michigan, tOSU or even PSU on the recruiting trail. You can only have 11 of those highly regarded recruits on the field at a time. The key is recruit well enough so our 11 approximates their 11 with regards to talent. We will never have the depth of those schools that have 4 stars littering their 2nd and 3rd teams. After 3-4 recruiting cycles our starting 11 should be able to compete and begin to develop some depth. We have neither the talent nor the depth at present. Of course all can be for naught if you don't have the right guy at the most important position on the field.

we are never going to go toe to toe with Michigan, tOSU or even PSU on the recruiting trail. You can only have 11 of those highly regarded recruits on the field at a time. The key is recruit well enough so our 11 approximates their 11 with regards to talent. We will never have the depth of those schools that have 4 stars littering their 2nd and 3rd teams. After 3-4 recruiting cycles our starting 11 should be able to compete and begin to develop some depth. We have neither the talent nor the depth at present. Of course all can be for naught if you don't have the right guy at the most important position on the field.
NU used to go toe-to-toe with the very best schools and should again. It's not a choice between good quarterback OR good recruiting class. It should be both.

there are at least 4 recruits who can all but be counted as commits already. they just want the extra attention for another couple weeks.
Is that like having an open marriage? They'll have the house and the kids with Nebraska, but they keep some other schools on the side to keep things exciting?

Not really.

1. Rivals effectively downgrades players who do not camp at the Rivals camps.

I still love how everyone states this. Are you assuming this or do you have proof? You do realize that rivals camps are pretty much every where now and that its easy for most players to go to these without spending a lot of $.

So who exactly are the current commits that are ranked low because they didn't camp at rivals sites? Boe Wilson? Bottle? Alexander? Domann? Grimm? That's 1/3 the class and those are guys that so many keep stating that rivals has them ranked too low. Well guess what? They all camped at rivals, so...

Remember this when looking at recruiting, its not necessarily how well a kid looks on film. It's how the kid looks compared to the rest of the nation. I see some really fine talent here. I just see a ton better else where. This staff is recruiting to keep our program stagnant.

Last edited:
NU used to go toe-to-toe with the very best schools and should again. It's not a choice between good quarterback OR good recruiting class. It should be both.

using composite rankings our last top ten class was in 2005. Prior to 2005 it was 1996. We have had 2 top 10 classes in 2 decades.
the 5 classes leading up to the 95 team ('90-'94) were ranked - 28,28,10,17,22

Last edited:

We all would prefer to have both a good QB and a good recruiting class but if I had to choose between a #20 ranked recruiting class with an elite QB and a #10 ranked recruiting class without one, I'm probably taking the elite QB. We have woefully under-performed at recruiting and developing QBs. No power 5 team, let alone one with our history, should be forced to start 2 different walk-ons at the most important position on the field over a three year period.

Reactions: lovetheskers
I don`t feel the staff is struggling at all from everything I have read. I feel good about 8 of our final targets.
Thanks! You would know a lot more than me and I trust your input. Just simply hoping for a positive finish so we can rise from mediocrity.

From what I have heard, Iowa is focusing on just Jackson right now. I have heard, which obviously I could be wrong, that Iowa has moved on from Farniok to focus just on Jackson.

Osborne was not held to a standard of must have a Top 25 class every year. Granted - rankings were harder to get in his era. But a Top 10 class was the exception not the rule under TO. If the assumption is Nebraska has to recruit Top 10 every season......to get where we want......I don't see the decisions on coaching staff aligning with that (another 5 win season could change that). Oregon does not recruit Top 10 every year and has alot of success - there are other example like Wisconsin and MSU in the B1G.
Smart recruiting and developing players has to be the focus.

I just wish at least one of the expected would commit right now to shed a glimmer of light on things.

Osborne was not held to a standard of must have a Top 25 class every year. Granted - rankings were harder to get in his era. But a Top 10 class was the exception not the rule under TO. If the assumption is Nebraska has to recruit Top 10 every season......to get where we want......I don't see the decisions on coaching staff aligning with that (another 5 win season could change that). Oregon does not recruit Top 10 every year and has alot of success - there are other example like Wisconsin and MSU in the B1G.
Osborne's classes were way above top 25. It's a misnomer to think we did recruit well under Osborne. Shoot Frank had a couple of top 10 classes.

Reactions: WestCoastCornhusker
I'd love to see stats on 2nd year coach recruiting class rankings at blue blood programs. Looks like we will fall well short of that average.

I'd love to see stats on 2nd year coach recruiting class rankings at blue blood programs. Looks like we will fall well short of that average.

We should be comparing this staff's results to like blue blood programs. I'm not sure what those are, as Nebraska is quite unique in its football profile in conjunction with its recruiting disadvantages. If anything, we should compare it to the results of former staffs at Nebraska. And since the inception of modern recruiting services, we can draw the conclusion that the current staff is falling below the standard set by Callahan and Co., and is basically on par with Pelini and Co. (though, I hope the results show that they distributed depth and recruited certain positions, i.e., QB, better).

While these teams have had success none of the aforementioned teams have won national championships. It's been consistently proven in the last 15 years that to win the national title you have to have at least one of your recruiting classes be in the top 10 within a 4 year span. If our goal is to win national championships that has to be the standard.

If N wants to recruit at a high level they have to hire at a high level. MR is a good coach but I have to wonder what kind of response Tressel would have gotten. I know about the show cause but just saying..

Reactions: otismotis08
From what I have heard, Iowa is focusing on just Jackson right now. I have heard, which obviously I could be wrong, that Iowa has moved on from Farniok to focus just on Jackson.

Well both Ferentz guys will be visiting him tomorrow.

If N wants to recruit at a high level they have to hire at a high level. MR is a good coach but I have to wonder what kind of response Tressel would have gotten. I know about the show cause but just saying..

Jim Tressel hired Bo Pelini .... that shows me enough cause right there

Yes we can. TO and Bill Callahan proved it.

Osborne's classes were way above top 25. It's a misnomer to think we did recruit well under Osborne. Shoot Frank had a couple of top 10 classes.
My recollection is that TO's typical class was ranked around 20th, give or take a couple spots, about 2/3 of the time. About every 3 years or so, he would recruit a top ten class or get very close. NU's results on the field usually surpassed their results in recruiting. Player development, the underrating of Nebraska kids (e.g., Tom Rathman, Cory Schlesinger, Terry Connealy), and NU's edge in strength and conditioning were the difference.

As another point of reference, OU under Switzer recruited at an elite level, and their classes were almost always ranked higher than NU's. Unfortunately, the results usually showed up on the field.

I still love how everyone states this. Are you assuming this or do you have proof? You do realize that rivals camps are pretty much every where now and that its easy for most players to go to these without spending a lot of $.

So who exactly are the current commits that are ranked low because they didn't camp at rivals sites? Boe Wilson? Bottle? Alexander? Domann? Grimm? That's 1/3 the class and those are guys that so many keep stating that rivals has them ranked too low. Well guess what? They all camped at rivals, so...

Remember this when looking at recruiting, its not necessarily how well a kid looks on film. It's how the kid looks compared to the rest of the nation. I see some really fine talent here. I just see a ton better else where. This staff is recruiting to keep our program stagnant.

I still love what you said even though you could have answered your own questions.

https://www.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=880&CID=1726641#benefits

Will attending a camp potentially help my ability to be recruited?

A good performance at the Rivals Camp Series Presented by Under Armour can certainly help your ability to be recruited as colleges pay attention to top performer lists as well as video from the events. We have seen interest from colleges increase dramatically for prospects that do well at camps like ours. Once again however, we provide no promises when it comes to our national rankings and we expect some players to raise their stock with our analysts while the stock of others could drop.

"So who exactly are the current commits that are ranked low because they didn't camp at rivals sites? Boe Wilson? Bottle? Alexander? Domann? Grimm? That's 1/3 the class and those are guys that so many keep stating that rivals has them ranked too low. Well guess what? They all camped at rivals, so..."
Since you demand specificity from me, I want specificity from you. "That's 1/3 the class and those are guys that so many keep stating that rivals has them ranked too low." Names. Who said that? I'll wait for your answer.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I still love what you said even though you could have answered your own questions.

https://www.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=880&CID=1726641#benefits

Will attending a camp potentially help my ability to be recruited?

A good performance at the Rivals Camp Series Presented by Under Armour can certainly help your ability to be recruited as colleges pay attention to top performer lists as well as video from the events. We have seen interest from colleges increase dramatically for prospects that do well at camps like ours. Once again however, we provide no promises when it comes to our national rankings and we expect some players to raise their stock with our analysts while the stock of others could drop.

"So who exactly are the current commits that are ranked low because they didn't camp at rivals sites? Boe Wilson? Bottle? Alexander? Domann? Grimm? That's 1/3 the class and those are guys that so many keep stating that rivals has them ranked too low. Well guess what? They all camped at rivals, so..."
Since you demand specificity from me, I want specificity from you. "That's 1/3 the class and those are guys that so many keep stating that rivals has them ranked too low." Names. Who said that? I'll wait for your answer.
It is also a FACT that some kids can't afford to spend ANY money to attend a camp. If I recall correctly we have a kid declaring early for the NFL that would fit that description. Not everybody can come up even with the travel money to go to camp let alone the registration fees. There is no doubt that camp attendance can boost a recruit's ranking.

Reactions: Laner2
Class ranking especially outside the top 10 is pretty subjective , and in my opinion not a very good indicator of the caliber of team your are going to put on the field. Michigan State and Wisconsin are good examples that talent evaluation and player development are very important . Heck you've got to get the kids you recruited to stay in the program !

Michigan State rank for example
2013-40
2014 -22
2015-22
2016 -11

My recollection is that TO's typical class was ranked around 20th, give or take a couple spots, about 2/3 of the time. About every 3 years or so, he would recruit a top ten class or get very close. NU's results on the field usually surpassed their results in recruiting. Player development, the underrating of Nebraska kids (e.g., Tom Rathman, Cory Schlesinger, Terry Connealy), and NU's edge in strength and conditioning were the difference.

As another point of reference, OU under Switzer recruited at an elite level, and their classes were almost always ranked higher than NU's. Unfortunately, the results usually showed up on the field.
From '87 to '97 Osborne was in the top ten five times. His average ranking was 15.

I'm not sure why this particular class is closing late. I think part of it has to do with the fact that we are battling with big programs for big commits. It doesn't really matter to me as long as we end up with a good class in the end. However, comparing our class to Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State in terms of when we get the commits may have a lot to do with where those commits are from. It's a lot easier to get early commits from your back yard because those kids are already comfortable with your school, especially if those kids are highly rated and highly sought after.

Michigan State and Penn State really only have 2 commits a piece from outside there 200 mile footprint.

Ohio State has 4 or 5 but one of them is Joey Bosa's little brother and 4 of them are from Urban's old stomping ground in Florida.

Michigan is the outlier because Harbaugh has really recruited nationally. Most of his commits are outside the footprint. Only 6 of their commits are from their footprint. What he has done is pretty amazing especially when you consider only 1 of their other commits is from California, where he used to coach. Interestingly, 12 of their 23 committed in the same month (June of 2015).

I would expect us to jump both Wisconsin and Iowa in the rankings. Wisconsin's class is MUCH better than Iowa's though. Iowa has zero 4 or 5 star players and is actually rated 49th in average star ranking (rivals). I'd rather wait and take better players in the end then fill up with low rated 2 and 3 stars like Iowa did.

Wisconsin took 9 or 10 from their footprint including 4 from their own state. They also added 4 from Florida. This may end up being similar to Nebraska's class. We currently have 6 or 7 from our footprint and we should end up with 4 or 5 from California.
Iowa takes the 2-3 star kids and turns them in to all BIG and NFL player's.The star system is a joke, it's coaching that makes the player.

Iowa takes the 2-3 star kids and turns them in to all BIG and NFL player's.The star system is a joke, it's coaching that makes the player.

and you saw what happened when they played a real team with real stars......as soon as io_a hit the meat of their schedule, they looked like they were playing with 2 and 3 star kids.....

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT