ADVERTISEMENT

1995 NU vs. 2022 Georgia

First Team All-Big Ten
Jul 27, 2002
Somewhere else I am in a discussion with SEC folks about the thread title. (They brought it up BTW) They brought up, of course, that our offense would not work because players now are bigger, faster, stronger; blah blah blah. And if was so great why does no one run it anymore? Here is part of my answer. I did not even get into the physicality factor of the game then vs. now, because it is not easy to justify. Does anyone have similar or contrary thoughts? Just for fun discussion. There is of course no end point to these things.

"Because the NFL doesn't run it. It is more and more a passing league. And its influence / salaries has grown larger. So it filters down to lower levels of college, h.s., and so on. Even back then, it was rare for anyone to run it. Players especially now do not grow up wanting to play or even see an option / Power I based game, and young coaches do not learn it or teach it. There is no real upward path to take with it.

Also, the common argument about players evolving does not really hold true. Players are not much different than 30 years ago. And even if they were, wouldn't that benefit the offense too? In fact, in this offense, which is based on assignments and eye discipline, I would argue it helps the offense more. If they were bigger and faster the D would get out of position faster and further before they corrected themselves. On the other hand the offense knows where it is going and would do execute it even better."

And they bring up Ladd McConkey. LMAO

No team, then or now, was built to handle that offense of ‘95

I do think that Burrow LSU team may have been the greatest team ever. Georgia had some good teams but that LSU squad would have murdered them

Stop.

Their defense was abysmal.

And we averaged over 300 a game running.

Just stop with this foolishness.
I have no idea who’d win this hypothetical. But their defense was actually awesome. When you score as much as fast as they did you’re going to surrender some yards and points.

Reactions: BleedRed78
That LSU team could have easily lost 4 games that year. That team is overrated.
They were untouchable by the end of the year.

Anywho, I don’t really care to argue. Fine, they were a terrible choice for me to make that claim. I’ll rescind so I don’t get anyone else emotionally hurt

Reactions: scarletred
We could handle them with 1995 rules. It's a different game today. We would still smack them around. They couldn't handle Tommie Frazier, LP, Ahman Green and Makovicka running behind that pipeline. Physically, that '95 team was like a team of today.

Georgia's 2022 team of "bigger, faster, stronger" would have ended up the same way the '94 Miami Hurricanes did by the fourth quarter (maybe even early in the 3rd quarter). Kneeling on the ground waiting for the game to end so there would be no more punishment. That assumes the blocking rules of 1995 were in place and not this pansy style of blocking we have today. Cut blocking, smash mouth blocking, etc. would have taken its toll on the Georgia defense. On the flip side, NU had more than enough athleticism and speed on defense to shut down their running attack to make them one dimensional. They would be crying like p*ssies by the end of the game.

Feel free to bring up what a mastermind TO was in terms of game planning, and more importantly, psychology. Kirby Smart would have been termed Kirby Dumb if he had to go up against TO and their coaching staff. Georgia wouldn't be able to rely solely on having better athletes, they would have actually needed more than average coaching.

Use those points above and that should get a rise out of them!!!!! :D

Georgia's 2022 team of "bigger, faster, stronger" would have ended up the same way the '94 Miami Hurricanes did by the fourth quarter (maybe even early in the 3rd quarter). Kneeling on the ground waiting for the game to end so there would be no more punishment. That assumes the blocking rules of 1995 were in place and not this pansy style of blocking we have today. Cut blocking, smash mouth blocking, etc. would have taken its toll on the Georgia defense. On the flip side, NU had more than enough athleticism and speed on defense to shut down their running attack to make them one dimensional. They would be crying like p*ssies by the end of the game.

Feel free to bring up what a mastermind TO was in terms of game planning, and more importantly, psychology. Kirby Smart would have been termed Kirby Dumb if he had to go up against TO and their coaching staff. Georgia wouldn't be able to rely solely on having better athletes, they would have actually needed more than average coaching.

Use those points above and that should get a rise out of them!!!!! :D

Someone rent the billboard right outside of Memorial Stadium on I80 and add this picture for ol Warren when he rolls into town on week 2! LOL!
https://images.app.goo.gl/Z8Ng1S7ZjVRgAXiXA
83Wx5MUPRthwnv378

Somewhere else I am in a discussion with SEC folks about the thread title. (They brought it up BTW) They brought up, of course, that our offense would not work because players now are bigger, faster, stronger; blah blah blah. And if was so great why does no one run it anymore? Here is part of my answer. I did not even get into the physicality factor of the game then vs. now, because it is not easy to justify. Does anyone have similar or contrary thoughts? Just for fun discussion. There is of course no end point to these things.

"Because the NFL doesn't run it. It is more and more a passing league. And its influence / salaries has grown larger. So it filters down to lower levels of college, h.s., and so on. Even back then, it was rare for anyone to run it. Players especially now do not grow up wanting to play or even see an option / Power I based game, and young coaches do not learn it or teach it. There is no real upward path to take with it.

Also, the common argument about players evolving does not really hold true. Players are not much different than 30 years ago. And even if they were, wouldn't that benefit the offense too? In fact, in this offense, which is based on assignments and eye discipline, I would argue it helps the offense more. If they were bigger and faster the D would get out of position faster and further before they corrected themselves. On the other hand the offense knows where it is going and would do execute it even better."

And they bring up Ladd McConkey. LMAO
But if you are those Georgia/SEC fans, you can also flip the coin and talk about how Nebraska would now get torched by many teams running the defense they did.

Good offensive teams love seeing that stuff nowadays.

Reactions: king_kong_
Someone rent the billboard right outside of Memorial Stadium on I80 and add this picture for ol Warren when he rolls into town on week 2! LOL!
https://images.app.goo.gl/Z8Ng1S7ZjVRgAXiXA
83Wx5MUPRthwnv378
Yes they also had Ray Lewis on that team and we beat him down as well. I think Miami QB Frank Costa is still licking his wounds from all those hits to this day. And that was just the 94 team. The 95 team was even more pissed off. Georgia's defense never had to deal with a power run game like Nebraska that averaged 400 yards a game and only gave up 78.

embarrassing that you've gotten yourself in an argument that amounts to "b-b-but 30 years ago we woulda coulda shoulda"

those Husker teams of the 90s would be marginally better than peak Iowa/Wisconsin, and would get curb-stomped by today's top-tier.

they were a different level of dominance in that era, and perhaps never has there existed such a gap between the #1 & #2 team like there did in 1995. that's a fair argument for calling them the best team of all time, but they wouldn't be running CFB today.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
Georgia's defense never had to deal with a power run game like Nebraska that averaged 400 yards a game and only gave up 78.
the 2022 Georgia team faced the #1 and #9 overall offenses in the regular season.

the #1 offense averaged 46 points per game.
the #9 offense averaged 39 points per game.

Georgia gave up a total of 10 points. please don't be silly.

embarrassing that you've gotten yourself in an argument that amounts to "b-b-but 30 years ago we woulda coulda shoulda"

those Husker teams of the 90s would be marginally better than peak Iowa/Wisconsin, and would get curb-stomped by today's top-tier.

they were a different level of dominance in that era, and perhaps never has there existed such a gap between the #1 & #2 team like there did in 1995. that's a fair argument for calling them the best team of all time, but they wouldn't be running CFB today.
Well no $&it Sherlock…

the 2022 Georgia team faced the #1 and #9 overall offenses in the regular season.

But they gave up 41 to Ohio State and would have lost if Marvin Harrison never got hurt. Only one team got within 14 pts close to the 95 team. I don't think that's being silly.

No team, then or now, was built to handle that offense of ‘95

I do think that Burrow LSU team may have been the greatest team ever. Georgia had some good teams but that LSU squad would have murdered them
The question is would Burrow have been upright long enough to complete enough passes?

Last edited:
But they gave up 41 to Ohio State and would have lost if Marvin Harrison never got hurt. Only one team got within 14 pts close to the 95 team. I don't think that's being silly.
Yeah it’s almost like playing 15 games instead of 12 takes a toll on a team.

The athlete then vs. now doesn't hold much weight IMO. Some absolute freak athletes on that 95 team. What rb since then had LP's size and athletisim? AP and maybe Derrick Henry? In 30 years? Are rb's faster now than Ahman? Doubtful.

Reactions: 8990
Rules in 1995 were a lot different than 2022. Defenses could, and did, play with much more physicality. Targeting back then didn’t exist and was just “normal” football. I am not sure Georgia would have too many skill players come out of the locker room after half in 1995.

Play by 1995 rules and NU wins, maybe by a couple TDs if no turnovers. Play by 2022 rules and it is a toss up.

Last edited:
I’m too young to remember but what was the difference between the 94 and 95 team? What or who made the 95 team the juggernaut?

The question is would Burrow have been upright long enough to complete enough passes?
No idea. Just thought the team they had that ran through the end of the season was unstoppable. Best I’ve seen in a long time. I was 14 years old when Nebraska had their GOAT season and watched through a different lense. I could be way off in my thinking and that’s fine if I am. But that LSU team was insane and stomped some damn good teams with a group of guys that went on and have been doing it in the Pros, too.

I have no idea who’d win this hypothetical. But their defense was actually awesome. When you score as much as fast as they did you’re going to surrender some yards and points.

Yes 95 Nebraska had that problem.

I’m too young to remember but what was the difference between the 94 and 95 team? What or who made the 95 team the juggernaut?
IMO the difference was we returned a huge chunk of team, plus added guys like Ahman, Rucker, Kelsay. Ahman and Rucker were NFL guys ready to roll as freshman.

We're also talking about a relentless pass rush with that 95 team. 4 legit DE's. Coming at you in waves. So hard to handle that for an entire game.

Wow different times. What a revelation. Haha geezus might be the dumbest post of the day.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT