“Iowa’s a bigger, stronger football team,” Frost said.

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by HuskerWisdom, Nov 24, 2018.

1. HuskerWisdom

HuskerWisdom Defensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

"“Iowa’s a bigger, stronger football team,” Frost said. “That’s right now. I never thought I’d see or hear that or say that about a Nebraska football team. That we can fix. We can get bigger, we can get stronger.”

that pretty much sets the tone for the offseason. Give Duval another year and we'll see better play on the OL and DL, better tackling and the ability to start wearing teams down

Over time we'll also see more real value from the walk-on program. You can't wait 4 years for a guy to really contribute on scholarship, but with walk-ons, we can wait 3 or even 4 years for a guy to develop there and be in a position to provide depth.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...all-strength-program-0807-20160806-story.html

2. dand84

dand84 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Line play is where we lose games. We just do not have the players up front on either side of the ball, but most visibly on defense. I think we are better than last year but there is still a ways to go.

3. shine003

shine003 Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Everyone wants to blame Chin. Fact is this team had a lot of deficiencies. Let’s evaluate everyone after they’ve had time to get guys experienced in their system. Coaches are pretty limited in what they can do when you are getting beat at the LOS and that can only be fixed with recruiting and development.

4. HuskerWisdom

Expand Collapse

In general this is true, but I put a lot of blame on the LB's and safeties for the problems our running defense had. Stille got doubled almost every play and lately the Davis' have been getting doubled more also, and when that happens most guys are going to get beat, but you need the second level and safeties to fill the gaps and take people down -- yet, way too many ball carriers were able to run through our guys like they weren't there due to poor decisions on which gaps to take, poor angles, or simply not being physical or strong enough to tackle.

5. scarletred

scarletred Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Plenty of us seen how weak both our lines have been the previous 3 years without any accountability by the previous staff..

6. huskerfan66

huskerfan66 Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

I listened to Jay Foreman on Big Red Reaction. Every week they give a grade to positions. I thought he was pretty harsh but accurate on his grading.

He was correct in saying that most of the time Coach Chinander had the right defense called. We just didn't make plays/tackles.

7. tarheelhusker

tarheelhusker Defensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, Frosty's statement was refreshing. I like the truth.

8. HuskerWisdom

Expand Collapse

End of the season, time to get them focused on off season S&C. He has a real understanding of how to get players to buy in and get them motivated

9. scarletred

scarletred Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Not only that but he seen the issues when he took the program over and he is very upset that Nebraska lost it’s physical and strength stature over the years with the people we had in charge running our football program..

10. GoBluePureMichigan

Expand Collapse

Not "everyone" Shine,....just the ones who don't know much about football......Laughing

Bold Words, 9and4 and OzzyLvr like this.
  11. rrthusker

rrthusker Administrator
    Expand Collapse

This x 1000

bshirt73 and GoBluePureMichigan like this.
  12. TheBeav815

TheBeav815 Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Thought NU got away from the run game too much in the middle portion of the game. Once Martinez started hurting them with runs it changed the game and opened things up in the run and pass concepts.

Too much standing in the pocket getting terrorized by Iowa's DEs.

13. jlb321

jlb321 Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

they also need required off-season reading and testing of the rule book so we aren't taking a knee at the 5 yard line when fielding kick offs -

that MAY have cost us the game
    we are down one score and have momentum going into half - we keystone cop the kickoff - go three and out and then give them a short field

does our special teams coach go over different return scenarios with the players? - man that was pee-wee football worthy

14. SC_'sker

SC_'sker Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Yeah this team sure found new and unique ways to do embarrassingly bad stuff this year.

mmunso7, OC INC and CatColumbia like this.
  15. HBK4life

HBK4life Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Strength and talent is lacking. Name me ONE All Big 10 player on our D??? Maybe Mo Barry on 3rd team. That's it kids. Where's our Epenesa??? Serious talent deficiency.

16. GoBluePureMichigan

Expand Collapse

Yep....we want next years team of 17-20 year olds to NEVER make a mistake....

/s

But that would make some fans on this board totally miserable.because they would have nothing to complain about.....Laughing

16 GoBluePureMichigan, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  17. WestCoastCornhusker2

Expand Collapse

We're not far off on DL right now, i think the DL alignments and strategies hurt them a lot and our LBs just can't get the job done on the edges at times.

18. CatColumbia

CatColumbia Senior
    Expand Collapse

One day in Lincoln, the next day in Orlando
    A lot of other teams have those type of kids, why can’t we?

oldjar07 likes this.
  19. GoBluePureMichigan

Expand Collapse

Well played sarcasm.

GBR

We want OUR guys...now!!

[​IMG]

19 GoBluePureMichigan, Nov 24, 2018
    CatColumbia likes this.
  20. huskerbaseball13

huskerbaseball13 Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Offseason is officially here folks!!

We can talk about all the gains made in the weight room and the next freak like Mike Williams who caught 12 passes this year.

PeliniTheCrutch likes this.
  21. CatColumbia

CatColumbia Senior
    Expand Collapse

One day in Lincoln, the next day in Orlando
    Or Greg Bell jumping on boxes.

cecilB and TFrazier like this.
  22. huskerbaseball13

Expand Collapse

I remember similar things being said during the Cosgrove and Banker years. Let’s not forget how Diaco was going to totally turn around the defense.

Maybe it’s a Nebraska thing? But considering the defensive gains UCF has had since the departure of Chinander I’m not so sure. But, we just need him to put out a mediocre defense at best and get out of the way. Hopefully Frost/Martinez will do the rest.

23. jlb321

jlb321 Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

It is up to the coaches to make sure the players understand the most basic of rules.

What are the options if you CATCH the ball on a kickoff inside the 25 versus if you field the ball off the turf.

Go over it before every kickoff if you have to

SeaOfRed75 and SC_'sker like this.
  24. SC_'sker

Expand Collapse

And sprinting on treadmills

cecilB and CatColumbia like this.
  25. headcard

headcard Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Or you can go away if you are that afraid someone might have something positive to say.

bshirt73 and SeaOfRed75 like this.
  26. DPDWU

DPDWU Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Our kids played the last 6 games harder than hell. The foundation has been set. It took the loss at Northwestern to come full circle. I said weeks ago the program was going in a great direction even at 0-6. There were changes that were being made within that were affecting the program positively to lay the groundwork. Since then the groundwork has been laid and now it's the job of our staff and they will get better talent and more depth here. This thing is more exciting than pre 2010 because these guys are recruiting like crazy!

27. HominidHusker

HominidHusker Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

I don’t mind Frost’s assessment, and like his confidence in fixing it.

I was really proud of this year’s team never giving up despite the rough start. Credit the seniors for leading in that regard. We weren’t getting manhandled like last year despite not being as strong in some games.

More than record, I wanted to see the upward trajectory. We saw that, in S&C and overall play.

The defense still has a lot of work to do and I hope we got enough guys on the roster to develop. A year of knowing the scheme should help as much as another year of S&C.

But the bottom line is we gotta have some ballers step up going into 2019.

I would predict improvement, but we may still not get where we want to be yet. There’s players on the roster, so it’s time to get to work.

saluno22 and SC_'sker like this.
  28. huskerbaseball13

Expand Collapse

I’m good right where I am.

Take a Xanax my friend. It’s a joke.

29. Dean Pope

Dean Pope Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Iowa certainly is better on both sides of the line. That said, our kids competed. I like how much of a realist Frost is and I'm sure the players appreciate that as well.

They way the game went with them having their way with us up front and then winning in the final seconds. I don't think we could ask for a better motivator to the start of the off season! The Big Red will have to be the most motivated and confident 4-8 program in the nation.

bshirt73 and timnsun like this.
  30. CameronKrazie86

CameronKrazie86 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

I asked a few weeks back but is there a single player on this year's defense who would play if you took the best NU defensive players of the last 20 years? What about 15 or 10? The talent isn't there yet.

Until then, play hard and try their best. I feel like they accomplished that the last 6 weeks.

kakdawg, 9and4 and scarletred like this.
  31. Dean Pope

Dean Pope Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Kids make mistakes. It will always be that way. I think year two and familiarity with the system will afford the staff more time to teach and drill special situations to try to minimize mistakes-- but they will still happen from time to time.

32. SnohomishRed

SnohomishRed Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I noticed several teams this year that on paper we had better talent but visually they looked more physical.

The Riley stench still lingers but will be gone for the most part by next year

bshirt73 likes this.
  33. TruHusker

TruHusker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Not downplaying a great S&C program, certainly we need improvement there. But that doesn't make up for poor decision making and losey technique, overrunning plays, missing tackles with poor technique, no backside pursuit and leaving guys wide open too often. The stats don't lie about this D and there is a lot that nedne to improve there.

So if some on here think the OL improved
    during the year, why didn't the DL do the same?

oldjar07 and kakdawg like this.
  34. jmliehr

jmliehr First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

K Davis played really well yesterday, the 3-4 is designed to have the OLB's get pressure and the MLB's to get stops, we struggled at both of those this year. Players who aren't taking the time and putting in the effort to prepare physically, likely aren't preparing mentally either. Suh was a physical speciman, Pelini was willing to let him walk because he didn't put in the effort. Once Suh bought in and started being a student of the game he turned in to the best defensive player in the country, but even he made emotional/mental mistakes (and still does).

35. DPDWU

DPDWU Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Husker baseball did you go to any red white series?

36. Wyldcard

Wyldcard All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Coupled with the fact is the players we have on the DL were recruited to a 4-3 base, not 3-4 which is like fitting square pegs into round holes and also the difference between a stopper and a clogger. We won't see the type of production that's supposed to be coming from the DL until we have 3-4 linemen in place. Who we have now are serviceable but wrong body type for a 3-4, so you can't really blame a player that was recruited to a totally different formation for their short comings in this particular base so remember that. I've heard soooo many people bag on the DL and individual players on it which is completely wrong as they're trying to do the best they can in a scheme that isn't theirs. We should see improvement on the strength front over the off season as it is now going into year 2. GO BIG RED!!

36 Wyldcard, Nov 24, 2018
    kakdawg, OzzyLvr and scarletred like this.
  37. F5Tornado

F5Tornado Senior
    Expand Collapse

We saw what a big, physical and talented team like Ohio State was able to do a few years back when they won the title, beating Bama in the semi. Nebraska has to get to that type of physicality, along with having talented skill position players, in order to get back to being a contender. Might take 3-4 more years, but I can happen.

38. Catch50

Catch50 Athletic Director
    Expand Collapse

Except for the left tackle Jackson, I never heard of any of them. And I do follow recruiting.

39. Mr.Scary13

Mr.Scary13 Junior
    Expand Collapse

It goes way beyond the last 3 years.

40. SC_'sker

Expand Collapse

That's really it. Maybe JoJo can step up and be an all-conference type of player next year as well. If not for the injury, I think Honas could've had that type of impact next year as well.

huskerfan 67 likes this.