ADVERTISEMENT

Staff Changes?

Yea - the players Satterfield and his staff have been coaching their concepts to for a year now. What a Great job of teaching guys. So with another year of his great teaching we will be improved right? South Carolina dramatically improved their turnovers after Sat left and Nebraska got worse. Must just be a coincidence. Three years in a row Sat has finished in the 100’s in turnovers, but it’s not him. Unreal.
IF we see it at NU again next year then maybe we can make that conclusion. The guys who were largely responsible for those numbers hardly played our last 2 games. The turnover numbers were dramatically lower because of it. We had one desperation OT INT from Purdy at Wisconsin, 1 very bad forward pitch decision and 1 extremely unfortunate bad pass Friday. NONE of those 3 turnovers do I blame on the coaches. None.

I looked at the NCAA stats for the last 3 years, I didn’t see Satterfield’s name anywhere. It’s almost like he never threw a pass or carried the ball for a single play in those three years.

I didn't see Kalen DeBoer's name either. I guess he had nothing to do with taking Washington from 4-8 to 12-0. They should have just kept Jimmy Lake.

Agreed, that's why I said they would be next year. It's unfortunate bc it's already painfully obvious the OC is in way over his head.
In over his head? The dude is a veteran OC. I think you mean that you don’t think he’s very good and you want someone else to do the job.

They made plenty of mistakes that Mickey would have destroyed them over. Some of those weak routes cost us and made Haarberg and Purdy both look bad at times. That’s not unexpected from true freshmen.
Meh. Mickey's wideouts had plenty of drops last year and the guy Mickey didn't even offer, Lloyd, outperformed the 2 guys Mickey did. I saw improvement out of the wideouts and that's really all you can ask for out true freshman thrown into a dysfunctional offense.

I’ve seen the numbers. I’ve also seen the players and the stupid sh## they’ve done in committing those turnovers. It’s not the offense. It’s not the coach. It’s dumbasses not protecting the ball.
Man,if only there were someone on the staff who was responsible for guiding the players "coaching," if you will, and making sure they don't act like dumbasses and not protect the ball. If only we had a person on the staff who could observe practice and make the necessary corrections.

Man,if only there were someone on the staff who was responsible for guiding the players "coaching," if you will, and making sure they don't act like dumbasses and not protect the ball. If only we had a person on the staff who could observe practice and make the necessary corrections.
Rhule benched Grant and Sims. He only has so many options at QB but I would have turned to Purdy 2 weeks earlier.

In over his head? The dude is a veteran OC. I think you mean that you don’t think he’s very good and you want someone else to do the job.
Whatever terminology you want to use, I'm not sure it matters at this point- dude sucks at his job and Nebraska is paying him over $1 million per year to continue performing said job.

Reactions: Bruce1981
Whatever terminology you want to use, I'm not sure it matters at this point- dude sucks at his job and Nebraska is paying him over $1 million per year to continue performing said job.
every OC we’ve had since Tom retired has sucked according to many posters.

every OC we’ve had since Tom retired has sucked according to many posters.
I get your point, and there's some truth to it.

I think it's almost worse for him that Tony White walked in and had a top 20 unit in his first year.

All that said, there's nothing in Sat's experience before or since coming to Nebraska that would suggest the offense will ever not be a liability as long as he's the OC.

Apathy has fully set in. Typically the worst offense in a century would have had the fans calling for every one of the coach's heads on that side of the ball. Now it seems people could hardly care if changes are made or not. If next season is anything like this one, I'm about done following this loser program.
Why wait? Following them makes you cranky and miserable so….

Reactions: headcard
The offense needs to move in the same direction of hard nose play as the defense did. Was the defense great? No. But I saw attitude and want....most of the time.

HH was tough until he got dinged. The offense needs to get mean, confident and nasty

I cant believe nobody is talking about getting rid of Ed Foley. That special teams unit was a disaster all year long and they played a lot of starters on special teams. Why does Ed get a pass?
He doesn’t.

I don’t think he’ll be fired, however.

Most of the weirdness I have with him was against Sparty and may have been a decree from his boss.

Designated fair catcher, just following orders kind of thing

I know this may not be a popular view, but coaches generally don’t get fired after season 1 of a coaching change unless they are caught driving drunk, or other activities not FB related.
For those bitching about the Oline, yes that bunch is a bit limited, but the play was much cleaner.
I think Raiola improved the O Line this season. I think the jury is still out on him, but should come back next year.

I guess I question whether we set up plays as well as we could. I’m sure he could explain play sequences and his logic if we had him reviewing game video for us.

Plus OL actually went from bumbling at the start of last year to G5 levels. Basically, they are now average. Which is a step up. The problem is that QBs were holding onto the ball to long and sometimes the WRs could not get free.
Most times the WRs could not get free. Some of them could never get free and should not be playing!

I cant believe nobody is talking about getting rid of Ed Foley. That special teams unit was a disaster all year long and they played a lot of starters on special teams. Why does Ed get a pass?
St was better. We covered better. Didn't return much better. Maybe we need less wussies. Offense gave bad field position. We definitely need better punter. I would much rather have punt in endzone and on 20 rather than finesse and punt out of bounds on the 48

Never said he does. St improved but that wasn't hard because we absolutely sucked under Frost. He didn't emphasize it.

Who do you credit the blocks??

I feel Rhule will eventually get the job done. But if his biggest downfall is not firing underperfoming assistants then he will be gone adter year 4. Not sure why coaches have egos so big they will risk their job over an assistant.

Our OL was just as shitty the last game of the season as they were the first. There was zero improvement in the OL play throughout the season. Purdy was just better at running for his life sooner and throwing away the ball.
Considering the opponent I do not agree. Iowa has a very good front 7, one of the best and while we didn't dominate, we held our own given how many injuries we have had with that group.

Reactions: headcard
No, they'll come after we finish 5-7 again next year and we've wasted another year with the same coaching incompetence.

^Most likely this^ 😕 But honestly, what do you expect Rhule to do? Firing a coach after one season goes against everything thing he claims to be about. Plus, outside of scandal, it just feels wrong from an outside/fan perspective to fire an assistant after just one year, and not give them a chance to show progress. (ability to address the deficiencies) So I think we’re pretty much stuck with these guys for at least one more year.

Agreed receivers got better. Think about it. Before this staff Jaylen Lloyd wasn't even on the radar. He took some of these freshmen that are not even supposed to see the field and got them to compete against good defenses.
No they didn't, the receivers are garbage. They ran garbage routes all year and never got any better.

How many times was Purdy hit or sacked the last 2 weeks? It seems to me the OL looked improved as the year went on. But maybe it was due to the level of the opposition that it looked like it.
As a recruit you have to think having a true QB coach would be attractive. I like that hire. I'm good with the rest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT