ADVERTISEMENT

Single Digit Questions

king_kong_

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2021
1. We doing it again? I assume yes

2. Do those who earned them last year automatically retain them? Or do they need to be earned again?

3. When are they announced? Fall camp?

1. We doing it again? I assume yes

2. Do those who earned them last year automatically retain them? Or do they need to be earned again?

3. When are they announced? Fall camp?
My thoughts:

1. Yes
2. I would hope they need to be re-earned otherwise it kind of goes against the reason for having them.
3. I thought it was mid to late camp when they were trickling out.

Not a fan of it per se. But it’s his team so I hope it works. I mean some of the bozos who got the single digits last year really make me wonder
Not realistic, but to me, the single digit numbers should be reserved for the Frazier, Suh, Wistrom, Phillips, type of
difference-makers.

Completely agree last year had some real duds in single digits.

Not a fan of it per se. But it’s his team so I hope it works. I mean some of the bozos who got the single digits last year really make me wonder
Ty, Nash and Cam Lenhardt are all worthy of single digits, IMO. Might as well set the tone and hope they give Raiola a single digit, if he is close to deserving it.

Looks like the transfer WR receiver has made a huge impact in performance and leader so he would be my choice to get a single number, yet, I don't believe I get a vote.

Although he wouldn't be my choice because of inconsistency, I think Tommi Hill has made an impact this year, wouldn't shock me to see him wind up in single digits. I think Gifford will have a shot at a single digit as well.

Like you say c30, I just hope those single digit guys are actual producers rather than just popular guys like Piper, who didn't get one because of his position despite the players voting him, but hell, his on the field performance was always subpar.

The single digits aren’t about just being the best or most talented it’s about who is living the values of the team the best. Who’s pushing the team, leading, high character, high integrity, who can they depend on. Ideally we would want this to be our best and most talented but it will not always be the case. With respect to the above I think our single digits represented the Huskers well.

The single digits aren’t about just being the best or most talented it’s about who is living the values of the team the best. Who’s pushing the team, leading, high character, high integrity, who can they depend on. Ideally we would want this to be our best and most talented but it will not always be the case. With respect to the above I think our single digits represented the Huskers well.
in other words, who kisses ass the best

• Sad
Reactions: king_kong_
I mean everyone knows about Jeff Sims, but I can make an argument for everyone else

0 - Nash Hutmacher (No question)
1 - Billy Kemp IV (The only other question mark, but I get why he was chosen with the WR play last year)
2 - Isaac Gifford (deserved)
3 - Nick Heinrich (deserved)
4 - Luke Reimer (deserved)
5 - Josh Bullocks (deserved)
6 - Quinton Newsome (deserved)
7 - Jeff Sims (given by default, but I feel QB's need to earn their spot. Coach need to REALLY have an open competition)
8 - DeShon Singleton (deserved before injury)
9 - Ty Robinson (deserved)

Now that I went through the list, the theory of the numbers is great. The only problem I have with them is if they are given out to the best representative of what Nebraska Football is all about, then it also puts a target on their backs for the opposition. There is good and bad to the single digits numbers, but if we start winning I couldn't care less about them.

in other words, who kisses ass the best
Based on your posting history I would venture to say the characteristics mentioned to determine who gets single digits have served you very well over your life and have been passed to your kids as a generational behavior. Rhule speaks to teaching life skills and many kids don’t naturally have those qualities or have not been around them consistently. This is an opportunity for those to model and lead this behavior and be an example to others in hopes of setting the standard.

All his to say … I think it is a lot more than just kissing ass and I have feeling many of these kids will change their family trees in the future as a result of being in the program.

I mean everyone knows about Jeff Sims, but I can make an argument for everyone else

1 - Billy Kemp IV (The only other question mark, but I get why he was chosen with the WR play last year)
7 - Jeff Sims (given by default, but I feel QB's need to earn their spot. Coach need to REALLY have an open competition)

Now that I went through the list, the theory of the numbers is great. The only problem I have with them is if they are given out to the best representative of what Nebraska Football is all about, then it also puts a target on their backs for the opposition. There is good and bad to the single digits numbers, but if we start winning I couldn't care less about them.
Piper had one but o line couldn’t wear a signal digit

Reactions: scarletred
To summarize what you said, the single digit numbers go to guys that are OOU.

With the culture foundation set and players setting the tone, we’ll have a lot more guys that are OOU.

Reactions: bomber89

Based on how Sims acted when he was pulled I'm okay with him getting the single digit
He didn't whine and complain.

Reactions: SickOfPractice
Based on your posting history I would venture to say the characteristics mentioned to determine who gets single digits have served you very well over your life and have been passed to your kids as a generational behavior. Rhule speaks to teaching life skills and many kids don’t naturally have those qualities or have not been around them consistently. This is an opportunity for those to model and lead this behavior and be an example to others in hopes of setting the standard.

All his to say … I think it is a lot more than just kissing ass and I have feeling many of these kids will change their family trees in the future as a result of being in the program.
I think you meant to post this in the girls bball thread

In life you’re either a winner or a loser. And right now everyone in the program is 5-7.

Reward the best football players. The other shit can wait.

• Love
Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3

Actually, I believe in rewarding good behavior based on being productive with a task at hand.
Kissing my ass never got my kids anywhere with me.

We all know kids and adults who are natural ass kissers, in my world, that never got much traction. It's a performance based world, and you can be the nicest guy on the football field and never do anything significant.

Great leaders like Tommie Frazier were despised by teammates, but that didn't stop them from following his lead. Brook Berringer was reportedly the nicest guy you'd ever meet, and his teammates responded to him the same way they did with Frazier. Leaders get it done in a lot of different ways. Its easier to get guys to follow IF you're a legitimate nice guy, but it's not mandatory.

I don't have an issue with the single digits, that's what Rhule does and I applaud his philosophy on it. I'm certainly not gonna fight it cause it's proven successful for Rhule. I'm just saying, I don't care if the players kisses ass or not, as long as its transferred to being productive on the field. If pricks like Tommie Frazier, Grant Wistrom and Jason Peter can get guys to follow their example, it's what makes the world go around.

Probably one of the more well liked guys on the entire team is Daniel Kaelin. He seems to be "that" kinda guy, just on the surface really nice, complimentary, and he has the potential to be a real contributor at some point. He might develop into one helluva good leader and example on and off the field.

Reactions: Truewooper

Three of the four, that outlier being Sims, were injury prone through no fault of their own. Most of the defensive players were key to whatever success the defense had last year. For one I am VERY glad we have Ty, Nash, Gifford, and hopefully Singleton back, those are all very good college players who create a strong foundation on this years defense.

I really don't think any of those players who graduated and left will be hard to replace with the returnees, transfers, and new kids. I think the future of the defense looks very bright. And with the right man at QB, the offense instantly improves.

I think NU will be a handful this year for all teams on their schedule.

Reactions: c3o
I don’t believe the single digit has anything to do with ability of the player. It is my understanding that it had to do with the offseason stuff like doing the extra stuff like going to basketball games, going to class, being on time, doing the service projects and being a leader on the field.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Actually, I believe in rewarding good behavior based on being productive with a task at hand.
Kissing my ass never got my kids anywhere with me.

We all know kids and adults who are natural ass kissers, in my world, that never got much traction. It's a performance based world, and you can be the nicest guy on the football field and never do anything significant.

Great leaders like Tommie Frazier were despised by teammates, but that didn't stop them from following his lead. Brook Berringer was reportedly the nicest guy you'd ever meet, and his teammates responded to him the same way they did with Frazier. Leaders get it done in a lot of different ways. Its easier to get guys to follow IF you're a legitimate nice guy, but it's not mandatory.

I don't have an issue with the single digits, that's what Rhule does and I applaud his philosophy on it. I'm certainly not gonna fight it cause it's proven successful for Rhule. I'm just saying, I don't care if the players kisses ass or not, as long as its transferred to being productive on the field. If pricks like Tommie Frazier, Grant Wistrom and Jason Peter can get guys to follow their example, it's what makes the world go around.

Probably one of the more well liked guys on the entire team is Daniel Kaelin. He seems to be "that" kinda guy, just on the surface really nice, complimentary, and he has the potential to be a real contributor at some point. He might develop into one helluva good leader and example on and off the field.
I didn’t list “nice” anywhere in the attributes. Do you build a culture through results only? There are a lot of external factors in the real world that can make people look better than they are. But grinding, honesty, integrity, dependability are some of the foundations for results to follow.

I don’t believe the single digit has anything to do with ability of the player. It is my understanding that it had to do with the offseason stuff like doing the extra stuff like going to basketball games, going to class, being on time, doing the service projects and being a leader on the field.
I understand the concept. When I watched the Baylor v. Georgia bowl game a few year ago that Rhule coached. It was apparent the single digit guys were damn good football players in addition to doing all the right things off the field. I think the thing can work with big performers as single digit guys. IMO

I didn’t list “nice” anywhere in the attributes. Do you build a culture through results only? There are a lot of external factors in the real world that can make people look better than they are. But grinding, honesty, integrity, dependability are some of the foundations for results to follow.
But do you really think TO, Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, Urban Meyers, etc actually give a fvck what personality types are leading their teams to championships? Do you, or did you, think they cared if they had some gangster types getting it done where it mattered?

I understand the concept. When I watched the Baylor v. Georgia bowl game a few year ago that Rhule coached. It was apparent the single digit guys were damn good football players in addition to doing all the right things off the field. I think the thing can work with big performers as single digit guys. IMO
That is called buy in. When your best players are the guys doing the service projects and are on time and going to class, the rest of the team will follow. IMO

I think you meant to post this in the girls bball thread

In life you’re either a winner or a loser. And right now everyone in the program is 5-7.

Reward the best football players. The other shit can wait.
This is a surprisingly weak take from you.

You can’t build a team or a culture if you aren’t on a firm foundation. Rhule understands the immediate urgency to win - but is also putting forth the behaviors that will benefit us in spades a couple of years down the road.

Baffled this is even controversial.

Let’s say the single digit went to the person with most raw talent … but showed up late to meetings, didn’t push in practice and let his grades suffer and was all about himself and treated his teammates and support staff like crap. Is that really what you would want to see from our team? Does that help him long term? Does that help our team this season? Is that consistent with what Rhule is trying to accomplish?

That is called buy in. When your best players are the guys doing the service projects and are on time and going to class, the rest of the team will follow. IMO
I don't disagree, but as I said, leaders all have different methods of attracting followers that produce.

But do you really think TO, Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, Urban Meyers, etc actually give a fvck what personality types are leading their teams to championships? Do you, or did you, think they cared if they had some gangster types getting it done where it mattered?
I can’t speak for the others but are you claiming TO didn’t care about culture?

I can’t speak for the others but are you claiming TO didn’t care about culture?
Tom cared about winning. He only started the Unity Council in about 1992 after being the head coach for 20 years.
Do I have to list the big producers that were less than ideal students, citizens, or teammates?

I don't disagree, but as I said, leaders all have different methods of attracting followers that produce.
Correct and Rhule has his and has built programs under this recipe. They are programs that can win and our fan base could be proud of. You act like you can’t win while instilling these principles, but if you were building a team or a raising a kid to be a high performing adult these are the behaviors we would choose.

Kong thinks you are a winner or loser out of the womb. I tend to think differently.

Correct and Rhule has his and has built programs under this recipe. They are programs that can win and our fan base could be proud of. You act like you can’t win while instilling these principles, but if you were building a team or a raising a kid to be a high performing adult these are the behaviors we would choose.

Kong thinks you are a winner or loser out of the womb. I tend to think differently.
I'd put my methodology and proven results of my 2 adult kids and 2 oldest grandsons up against anyone at any level.

Tom cared about winning. He only started the Unity Council in about 1992 after being the head coach for 20 years.
Do I have to list the big producers that were less than ideal students, citizens, or teammates?
We can let the Iowa lurkers do that. But if you reduce Tom Osborne to winner only I’m sure you would have former players that greatly disagree. Winning is a process with talented people working together to benefit the team or company collectively. Culture is a relatively constant that breeds more winning or losing. TO had a culture that withstanded people leaving and moving on but carried on.

its a bit naive to think that winning only happens on Saturdays. That is an insult to TO’s legacy.

I'd put my methodology and proven results of my 2 adult kids and 2 oldest grandsons up against anyone at any level.
Go back and read the qualities I mentioned earlier to get a single digit and tell me which ones your kids don’t have. I would be very interested to know.

We can let the Iowa lurkers do that. But if you reduce Tom Osborne to winner only I’m sure you would have former players that greatly disagree. Winning is a process with talented people working together to benefit the team or company collectively. Culture is a relatively constant that breeds more winning or losing. TO had a culture that withstanded people leaving and moving on but carried on.

its a bit naive to think that winning only happens on Saturdays. That is an insult to TO’s legacy.
RedMax, I'm 70 years old, don't insult my intelligence.

When it finally got to the point that TO was tired of losing to the criminal programs like OU, FSU, Miami, Tom finally got on board and to hell with the culture. It became about winning and winning big.

Reactions: king_kong_
RedMax, I'm 70 years old, don't insult my intelligence.

When it finally got to the point that TO was tired of losing to the criminal programs like OU, FSU, Miami, Tom finally got on board and to hell with the culture. It became about winning and winning big.
I’m not insulting your intelligence but if you you think there wasn’t a winning CULTURE (how the team worked together, held each other accountable, grinded) during those years you are wrong.

For some reason you are reducing single digits to choir boys with no grit and this is not the case.

Putting words in my mouth is not an effective argument

“Built programs”

AAC title 10 years ago, Rhule’s resume is getting as stale as Fred’s

Winners win. Losers point to a whole bunch of other shit in hopes people ignore the scoreboard

I’m not insulting your intelligence but if you you think there wasn’t a winning CULTURE (how the team worked together, held each other accountable, grinded) during those years you are wrong.

For some reason you are reducing single digits to choir boys with no grit and this is not the case.
Look, I'm not gonna turn this into a long debate. You and I have differing opinions, and thats always a good thing.
There was a winning culture back in those days, a winning culture which included getting our asses constantly kicked by the OU, FSU, Miami teams.
To level the playing field, NU began to recruit those same type difference makers, and their citizenry was not paramount.

Do I think Rhule's single digit concept will pay dividends? Absolutely, all I had to do was watch that Baylor v. Georgia game I referenced in about year 3 or so of the Rhule regime at Baylor. At that point, single digit guys appeared to be the top players and producers on the field. The two can work hand in hand as Rhule brings in more and more talented players that fit his idea of future leader types.

Putting words in my mouth is not an effective argument

“Built programs”

AAC title 10 years ago, Rhule’s resume is getting as stale as Fred’s

Winners win. Losers point to a whole bunch of other shit in hopes people ignore the scoreboard
The team will show you this year. Which is what we all want!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT