ADVERTISEMENT

4-11 notes Rhule PC

Anyone watch DR play in H.S? I did. Yes it was on TV but I watched. Saw him play when it was raining, sideways....the way he held the ball and threw the ball and the accuracy, it was amazing, you would have had no idea it was a monsoon....and he was comitted to Georgia at the time...hadn't switched yet, so I wasn't watching with rose colored glasses. I'm gonna juat go ahead and expect him to kill it and look like a seasoned player very quickly...ya'll can take yer time if you wish. I'm all in :)
Did he scramble or run at all?

I know he is not a runner but he can move, right?

They tried to run a read option with him in the Hawaii all star game. He’s not going to be confused with Lamar Jackson. He’s probably quick enough to get 5-10 in some situations but he’s not going to outrun many linebackers IMO. His biggest asset in the run game is probably his size. I think he’s strong enough to shrug off some tacklers.

They tried to run a read option with him in the Hawaii all star game. He’s not going to be confused with Lamar Jackson. He’s probably quick enough to get 5-10 in some situations but he’s not going to outrun many linebackers IMO. His biggest asset in the run game is probably his size. I think he’s strong enough to shrug off some tacklers.
5-10 yards is all that is needed. It's more coaching to know when to tuck the ball and get some yards vs. sliding up into the pocket.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I’m far from a Haarberg booster but there’s a good chance that his experience last year will make him better this year. It’s the same logic that I used in thinking Purdy could learn and improve from his mistakes.
I have heard one comment from someone that was able to attend a practice this spring, "take Haarberg's scholarship away". I'm okay if I never see him play a meaningful snap at QB again.

Anyone watch DR play in H.S? I did. Yes it was on TV but I watched. Saw him play when it was raining, sideways....the way he held the ball and threw the ball and the accuracy, it was amazing, you would have had no idea it was a monsoon....and he was comitted to Georgia at the time...hadn't switched yet, so I wasn't watching with rose colored glasses. I'm gonna juat go ahead and expect him to kill it and look like a seasoned player very quickly...ya'll can take yer time if you wish. I'm all in :)
Agee with that, i expect to see freshman All American honors.

I call BS.
We’re going to need him this year more than anyone probably knows..
We only have three scholarship QBs on the roster. I would hope anyone with a brain would not think that two is acceptable, no matter how limited HH’s arm is.

Also, HH has a flex capability that could be big. A poor man’s Tysom Hill. We ran him out of the TE spot early in the year. I don’t see why we wouldn’t do similar things with him this year.

😂 anyone think Rhule was going to come into the press conference and just praise DR and put a dagger in the other QB’s right out of the gate? Come on. We all know both freshmen are better already than what we had last season. He wants competition competition competition. The longer he says there is no separation the harder they all continue to work.
I don't think any of the 3 are leaving. No point in ratcheting down the competition at this point.

I watched a few of his YouTube games after he committed. He'll get you 8 yards if you leave it for him. He was a little faster than I expected but not fast enough to have designed runs.

I don't think any of the 3 are leaving. No point in ratcheting down the competition at this point.
I watched a few of his YouTube games after he committed. He'll get you 8 yards if you leave it for him. He was a little faster than I expected but not fast enough to have designed runs.
You don’t have to be a 4.5 QB to pick up first downs with your feet. He appears to be mobile enough. I like his size. He’s probably going to be able to shrug off some tacklers.

I’ve been firmly on the brake pedal on expectations for Raiola. I think anybody expecting the savior to rise on day one is asking to be disappointed. I expect him to start the first game but won’t be all that surprised if it’s Haarberg. There’s way more to being a P5 QB than throwing nice spirals and a strong arm. All I’ve heard this spring is how good Kaelin has looked and not really a peep about Haarberg. It will be interesting to see how they divide up reps in the spring scrimmage.
same story as last year

all sims and purdy during spring then poof Haarberg is our best guy

the more smoke I see, the more I don't expect to see Kaelin much or at all this year. kid's a string bean coming off a pretty middling season despite the abundance of talent around him. as classic a redshirt candidate as there ever was.

completely agree about game 1. I expect DR to start but wouldn't be at all surprised if it's HH for a variety of reasons.

Reactions: Huskers123456
same story as last year

the more smoke I see, the more I don't expect to see Kaelin much or at all this year. kid's a string bean coming off a pretty middling season despite the abundance of talent around him. as classic a redshirt candidate as there ever was.

completely agree about game 1. I expect DR to start but wouldn't be at all surprised if it's HH for a variety of reasons.
Kaelin 6'3" 210 lbs
Raiola 6'3" 220 lbs
Haarberg 6'5" 215 lbs

I'd say Haarberg is just as much of a string bean.

Can you break down Kaelin's middling 2023 season for us? Please include notes as to when "the abundance of talent around him" didn't play due to injury.

Kaelin 6'3" 210 lbs
Raiola 6'3" 220 lbs
Haarberg 6'5" 215 lbs

Can you break down Kaelin's middling 2023 season for us? Please include notes as to when "the abundance of talent around him" didn't play due to injury.
4 of 11 games BW scored 14 points or less

same story as last year

kong, the way I see last year is that HH did not play his way into the position, Sims played his way out of the position.

Last edited:
Reactions: meo1960
4 of 11 games BW scored 14 points or less
Tremendous analysis!

2 of those games were against the state champions Omaha Westside. Only Millard South scored more points against Westside than Bell West. The other 2 losses against North, McMorris didn't play, and against Kearney, neither McMorris nor Hall played. His worst stats were against North & Westside. Bell West didn't have a running game against either of those 2 and DK was the 2nd leading rusher for Bell West against Kearney by only 5 yards.

There were several of the games won where McMorris or Hall didn't play. Early in the season, when they got hurt, Bell West struggled. McMorris played 8 games & Hall played 7. Those struggles were all on DK though it seems.

Tremendous analysis!

2 of those games were against the state champions Omaha Westside. Only Millard South scored more points against Westside than Bell West. The other 2 losses against North, McMorris didn't play, and against Kearney, neither McMorris nor Hall played. His worst stats were against North & Westside. Bell West didn't have a running game against either of those 2 and DK was the 2nd leading rusher for Bell West against Kearney by only 5 yards.

There were several of the games won where McMorris or Hall didn't play. Early in the season, when they got hurt, Bell West struggled. McMorris played 8 games & Hall played 7. Those struggles were all on DK though it seems.
There is no way @king_kong_ isn’t related or close friends to HH .

Kaelin 6'3" 210 lbs
Raiola 6'3" 220 lbs
Haarberg 6'5" 215 lbs

In early pics I thought DK was tiny/string bean. Then I see the spring practice videos and fully take back my initial thought. Dude is bigger than I thought by a long ways.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Tremendous analysis!

Thing is, most QBs don’t have either McMorris or Hall.

Reactions: king_kong_
In early pics I thought DK was tiny/string bean. Then I see the spring practice videos and fully take back my initial thought. Dude is bigger than I thought by a long ways.
You get a kid on campus and eating at the training table and putting on 15-20 lbs isn’t a big deal for many of them.

Thing is, most QBs don’t have either McMorris or Hall.
That is correct. Maybe he should have done more with those guys. OL, RB, & defense make a difference too. After all, it’s a team game. I also know that DR had 5 star & 4 star receivers to throw to plus had 4&5 star OL blocking for him and some 4 star guys on defense. You play with the teammates you have and the offense your coach calls. I didn’t see much of his games but when your top 2 targets miss 3&4 games, it does affect your results. I don’t think their replacements were close to 4 stars.

Really looking forward to seeing the freshmen QBs in action and to likewise see improvements from Heinrich in the spring game. With as many issues as Nebraska has had in keeping QBs healthy the last few years, I'm excited to see all three guys and where they're at skill wise. Normally, I don't really care about the spring game but I'm actually looking forward to watching it this year.

I still think Kaelin will not be ready as a true freshman and should redshirt. HH we know what he’s got. We need at least 1 and maybe 2 QB out of the portal when it opens again.

That is correct. Maybe he should have done more with those guys. OL, RB, & defense make a difference too. After all, it’s a team game. I also know that DR had 5 star & 4 star receivers to throw to plus had 4&5 star OL blocking for him and some 4 star guys on defense. You play with the teammates you have and the offense your coach calls. I didn’t see much of his games but when your top 2 targets miss 3&4 games, it does affect your results. I don’t think their replacements were close to 4 stars.
Good thing he’s coming here where our playmakers, RB and OL are well established. Not to mention our OC.

Pardon my ignorance. Apologies in advance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT