ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The PGA Tour, LIV Golf and the NCAA

Millennials and those of that ilk are all about equity rather than merit. It's sickening. Me, me, me.

I'm not going to take quite as harsh of a tone as you did here but I agree. Newsflash, we're not all equal. Some people are just more gifted at certain things than others and that's OK if they cash in as a result. The 250th best anyone shouldn't be making what the top 25 make in any career. Now if a new employer wants to pay em like they are a top 25 player, fine by me. Just don't expect or whine about it if you don't make as much as people who are better than you.

Somebody once told me..."We're all created with the same chance to become unequal". Translation, your desire and skill and choices you make should determine how you do in life.

I'm not going to take quite as harsh of a tone as you did here but I agree. Newsflash, we're not all equal. Some people are just more gifted at certain things than others and that's OK if they cash in as a result. The 250th best anyone shouldn't be making what the top 25 make in any career. Now if a new employer wants to pay em like they are a top 25 player, fine by me. Just don't expect or whine about it if you don't make as much as people who are better than you.

Somebody once told me..."We're all created with the same chance to become unequal". Translation, your desire and skill and choices you make should determine how you do in life.
this is what always happens when one side (the wrong one) has clearly been beaten:

- moral high ground
- damn youngins!
- not everyone is equal!

these things, of course, have NOTHING to do with the actual issue at hand, which on its face is extremely simple:

either treat players like the independent contractors you say they are, or allow them to collectively bargain to share revenue like the rest of the professional sports world

right now, the morons who run the PGA Tour are having their cake and eating it too. the Saudis called them out on it and they're pissing their pants because the good thing they've had going won't go on much longer

Reactions: leodisflowers
Millennials and those of that ilk are all about equity rather than merit. It's sickening. Me, me, me.
Every single player on the PGA is me, me, me. What is so hard to understand? None of these ****ers are doing anything for a greater good. They are all chasing sponsors and any dollar they can get and some of the younger guys can probably get more money on the PGA, so they didn't make the jump. Half of the corporations that support the tour are shady organizations.

Reactions: king_kong_
Every single player on the PGA is me, me, me. What is so hard to understand? None of these ****ers are doing anything for a greater good. They are all chasing sponsors and any dollar they can get and some of the younger guys can probably get more money on the PGA, so they didn't make the jump. Half of the corporations that support the tour are shady organizations.
I'll go ahead and say every person everywhere is me, me, me, with only extreme exceptions

yes, even @AVeritas, who definitely doesn't welcome homeless folks into his residence, doesn't give all he can to charity and doesn't spend every hour every weekend volunteering

virtue signaling at its finest, kitty cat

this is what always happens when one side (the wrong one) has clearly been beaten:

- moral high ground
- damn youngins!
- not everyone is equal!

these things, of course, have NOTHING to do with the actual issue at hand, which on its face is extremely simple:

either treat players like the independent contractors you say they are, or allow them to collectively bargain to share revenue like the rest of the professional sports world

right now, the morons who run the PGA Tour are having their cake and eating it too. the Saudis called them out on it and they're pissing their pants because the good thing they've had going won't go on much longer

Not going to get drug into the gutter over this subject because it isn't that important to me, but it seems to be to you. I also don't think I'm on the wrong side, in fact between the two of us I think I'm on the more reasonable side of this issue...I would also venture a guess we are a ways apart in the birthday category.

Reactions: OzzyLvr

The difference is PGA merit v. LIV aristocracy. There's no rationale for what the Saudis are doing other than to crater the PGA, an American institution, I might add.

The difference is PGA merit v. LIV aristocracy. There's no rationale for what the Saudis are doing other than to crater the PGA, an American institution, I might add.
you are completely missing the point. this isn't about format one iota, though the winner of LIV events makes more than everyone else in the field (merit)

the WGC already puts together 6 no-cut events throughout the year - some in China - where the top 70 in the OWGR show up for a guaranteed paycheck (aristocracy)

nothing - and I mean nothing - is more American than challenging the status quo & the authority hell bent on keeping it

it's extremely sad to see a bunch of Saudis acting like Americans and a bunch of Americans acting like King George is closely monitoring their every word

so, you're cool with a front-line worker not having health insurance while the VP does?

do you think Titleist/Callaway/whoever just hands out multi-million dollar endorsements as a right of passage when someone earns their Tour card?
You do realize if you don’t finish it the top 125 or 150 in money in a year, unless you have won a tournament in previous years to earn a exemption like the Players , ( 10 year exemption), you loose your Card and have to go to Q school to get it back, I am just saying if you are in spot , you better have a backup plan.

Not going to get drug into the gutter over this subject because it isn't that important to me, but it seems to be to you. I also don't think I'm on the wrong side, in fact between the two of us I think I'm on the more reasonable side of this issue...I would also venture a guess we are a ways apart in the birthday category.
you're not wrong. you said it perfectly:

"Now if a new employer wants to pay em like they are a top 25 player, fine by me."

fine by you, not fine by the people who run the PGA Tour, and herein lies the issue at hand.

Phil Mickelson has been my least favorite player on the PGA Tour for decades, since he was prancing around in those pink Izods with the popped collar, sporting a preppy boy haircut. When he somehow reinvented himself as Joe Lunchbucket, Hero to the Working Man, it didn't change my opinion one bit. To me, he's always been a phony publicity hound.

And yet, I can't think of any reason why he shouldn't be able to play on whatever golf tour he chooses. While I'll root for him shoot 80 every round, I support his right to play and get paid handsomely to do so.

Last edited:
you are completely missing the point. this isn't about format one iota, though the winner of LIV events makes more than everyone else in the field (merit)

the WGC already puts together 6 no-cut events throughout the year - some in China - where the top 70 in the OWGR show up for a guaranteed paycheck (aristocracy)

nothing - and I mean nothing - is more American than challenging the status quo & the authority hell bent on keeping it

it's extremely sad to see a bunch of Saudis acting like Americans and a bunch of Americans acting like King George is closely monitoring their every word
You put your energy with the Saudi aristocracy. I'll stick with the American PGA's meritocracy. We'll see who wins out in the end.

BTW, that's pretty rich suggesting the Saudi's attempted takeover is an American challenge. Good grief. And you're from Nebraska?

? O/U on how soon before the trash, imo, that is the mouse / ABC / u know who, tries to take both corporate (sponsor) and our money to jam the LIV in our face ...........

• Haha
You put your energy with the Saudi aristocracy. I'll stick with the American PGA's meritocracy. We'll see who wins out in the end.

BTW, that's pretty rich suggesting the Saudi's attempted takeover is an American challenge. Good grief. And you're from Nebraska?
my support is behind the players, who to date have had to listen to blowhards who have probably never broken 80 tell them where they can/can't play

what's rich is me thinking you'd actually be able to process the written word

my support is behind the players, who to date have had to listen to blowhards who have probably never broken 80 tell them where they can/can't play

what's rich is me thinking you'd actually be able to process the written word
There are 48 LIV tour members, 29,000 PGA members. Try again, Saudi princess. Be sure you wear your burka in Portland.

I am about as traditional as it comes regarding golf, having played the game for 50 years. I still reminisce about the sound of metal spikes on cement cart paths. Had a custom-made persimmon wood and it was cool. I think if Jack Nicklaus could play in this generation and with the current technology, he would have won way more than 18 majors.

My initial thoughts leaned toward the PGA and not the LIV pros. However, after getting more information and disregarding anything the media and talking heads said, I did an about face. As I said earlier in this thread, the pros have been trying for years to make changes and capitalize on their fame and what they bring to the game. Instead, the PGA failed to implement meaningful incentives and bonuses. Like most elites (political, professional, academic, etc.) they still think things are the same as 50-60 years ago and try to force solutions rooted in the past. And as should be a shock to no one, when the outdated solutions failed to achieve the desired result, they became vindictive. For some reason the PGA continues to apply a communistic approach to the capitalist marketplace. They have been able to get away with that for years, but not anymore. No effort. No compromise. No common ground.

While it probably won’t happen, the PGA deserves to have Dustin Johnson, Patrick Reed, and Brooks Koepka finish 1-2-3 (with Brooks announcing he has signed a LIV contract after finishing his final round).

• Love
I am about as traditional as it comes regarding golf, having played the game for 50 years. I still reminisce about the sound of metal spikes on cement cart paths. Had a custom-made persimmon wood and it was cool. I think if Jack Nicklaus could play in this generation and with the current technology, he would have won way more than 18 majors.

My initial thoughts leaned toward the PGA and not the LIV pros. However, after getting more information and disregarding anything the media and talking heads said, I did an about face. As I said earlier in this thread, the pros have been trying for years to make changes and capitalize on their fame and what they bring to the game. Instead, the PGA failed to implement meaningful incentives and bonuses. Like most elites (political, professional, academic, etc.) they still think things are the same as 50-60 years ago and try to force solutions rooted in the past. And as should be a shock to no one, when the outdated solutions failed to achieve the desired result, they became vindictive. For some reason the PGA continues to apply a communistic approach to the capitalist marketplace. They have been able to get away with that for years, but not anymore. No effort. No compromise. No common ground.

While it probably won’t happen, the PGA deserves to have Dustin Johnson, Patrick Reed, and Brooks Koepka finish 1-2-3 (with Brooks announcing he has signed a LIV contract after finishing his final round).
it's true. every word of it.

@AVeritas probably sharpening his sickle as we speak. sad.

Right the Saudis are so capitalistic.

Here's what will happen, probably. The billion dollars that formerly went to PGA charities will start funneling back to players as the tour competes with the Saudis by guaranteeing contracts.

The minor tours (Korn Ferry, Canadian, Latin America, Champions, and so on) which are financially propped up by the PGA will start to decline and probably go away at some point as the PGA support withers. We'll have LeBron James personalities, in the form of Brooks and Phil, being paid millions, yes, but all those who previously benefited from the tour will be out of luck.

Last edited:

Here's what will happen, probably. The billion dollars that formerly went to PGA charities will start funneling back to players as the tour competes with the Saudis by guaranteeing contracts.

The minor tours (Korn Ferry, Canadian, Latin America, Champions, and so on) which are financially propped up by the PGA will start to decline and probably go away at some point. We'll have LeBron James personalities being paid millions and all those who previously benefited from the tour will be out of luck.
How's that different from any pro sport.. Jeez man. Also, for those of you who are probably of fan boys of Rory, Tiger and other Nike ambassadors, where is all of the outrage about them taking money from Nike. You know that same Nike that has most of its product made in China and other southeast Asian communities which they put their workers through hell, let a lone all of the human rights violations. Crickets...

Last edited:
How's that different from any pro sport.. Jeez man. Also, for those of you who are probably of fan boys of Rory, Tiger and other Nike ambassadors, where is all of the outrage about them taking money from Nike. You know that same Nike that has most of its product made in China and other southeast Asian communities which they put their workers through hell, let a lone all of the human rights violations. Crickets...
It's very different than other pro sports. If you added the other leagues' charitable contributions into one big pile, all of them, the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, etc., combined they wouldn't sniff the amount of money given by the PGA to charities.

And comparing Nike to Saudis is rich, flowerchild. Let me know the next time Nike murders an American journalist, funds 9/11, stones adulteresses, and the like. Good grief.

The minor tours (Korn Ferry, Canadian, Latin America, Champions, and so on) which are financially propped up by the PGA will start to decline and probably go away at some point. We'll have LeBron James personalities being paid millions and all those who previously benefited from the tour will be out of luck.

My comments were about how the PGA is operating. Never said anything about the Saudis.

Sorry for making the logical connection. I know logic is lost here. I should have known better. Mea culpa.

no guaranteed contracts + exploding tv/ad revenue + a bunch of dumb old, fat, rich, ignorant traditionalists = OPPORTUNITY!

good for the players using their leverage to go out and change things for the better. ball is in the PGA's court now, and they will posture a ton publicly prior to bending the knee. it's over. they've lost before they've even entered the ring.

I love this stuff. just like NIL/transfer portal in college football, this has been a long, long time coming

God Bless America - F the establishment, power to the people!
Golf is BORING!

Sorry for making the logical connection. I know logic is lost here. I should have known better. Mea culpa.
Instead of focusing on the game, you’ve chosen to focus on the player, so to speak

typical small thinking ksu fan

if pga operated appropriately, there wouldn’t have been an opening for the saudis to eat its lunch

Last edited:
Reactions: leodisflowers
Instead of focusing on the game, you’ve chosen to focus on the player, so to speak

typical small thinking ksu fan

if pga operated appropriately, there wouldn’t have been an opening for the saudis to eat its lunch
Oh, okay, Chief Black Kettle.

• Haha
Oh, okay, Chief Black Kettle.
Please repost anything I’ve said that’s been hypocritical

I don’t condone Saudi crimes against humanity, which makes this short-sightedness (hence the opportunity) by the PGA all the more embarrassing

money changes everything.
me?
I might take some stacks and move to Dubai.
Trying to be honest…

Brandel Chamblee

@chambleebrandel

Through 36 holes the best position by a LIV player is 31st.. in the first round the LIV players were +54… meanwhile those who couldn’t be bought are contending for the US Open. There is no pillow so soft as a clear conscience.

Not only his head, if you've been watching, most successful golfers past and present have been more than a little critical: Rory, JT, Rahm, Jack, Curtis, and so on. Strange was brutal. Phil looked like he was walking into hell all week.

If there is a cushier job in America than being a PGA golfer I'd like to know what it is. Just can't wrap my mind around how poorly they are treated because they only got 34% of revenue generated, which isn't the same as profit generated. I also don't care if the same players who agreed to the PGA rules choose to give 'em the middle finger and walk out for a better job/payday. I have no dog in the fight...I just can't feel sorry for PGA players under any circumstance. What I do like hearing is how well the Caddie's are being treated in the new league compared to the PGA. I was told by somebody who knows far more about this than I that it wasn't uncommon for several Caddies to stay in one hotel room with the PGA and in the new league they all get their own rooms? I can get behind that. Maybe that will be something the PGA changes and that is a good thing. Maybe the "little people" who help make the PGA go will realize a better life and more money going forward due to the new league.
The part about the PGA player having the cushiest job is absolutely idiotic. If a player shoots 75-75 on Thursday and Friday he makes no money, that same 2 days , a MlLB player goes 0-8, with all strikeouts and commits 5 errors he still gets a paycheck

Reactions: AVeritas
The part about the PGA player having the cushiest job is absolutely idiotic. If a player shoots 75-75 on Thursday and Friday he makes no money, that same 2 days , a MlLB player goes 0-8, with all strikeouts and commits 5 errors he still gets a paycheck

The 60th place golfer in this years Open made over 36K.

The player you described should probably be working on his resume for the real world. Or try to get on with the other league.

Cushiest. Job. Ever.

Reactions: Walleye79

The player you described should probably be working on his resume for the real world. Or try to get on with the other league.

Cushiest. Job. Ever.
8,680 golfers attempted to qualify for this year's U.S. Open. 156 (1.8%) qualified. Of those, half did not make the cut, nor did they make a dime. Not cushiest job ever.

I am watching a documentary on Prince called Slave Trade: How Prince Changed the Music Industry. There are a lot of parallels between the music industry in the late 1990s (record labels, selling music, and touring) and the PGA of today. Prince was way ahead of his time regarding the business model.

it is worth the watch regarding this topic. And you get to hear the music from the greatest musical talent of all time.

Cushiest. Job. Ever.
Obviously you know nothing about golf , every player including Jack and Tiger have missed cuts , my point is if you don’t perform good that week you don’t get payed it doesn’t happen in other sports except Tennis.

8,680 golfers attempted to qualify for this year's U.S. Open. 156 (1.8%) qualified. Of those, half did not make the cut, nor did they make a dime. Not cushiest job ever.
If you suck at your job. You should look for another line of work. Just saying

If you suck at your job. You should look for another line of work. Just saying
The pyramid is tight at the top in golf. It's estimated that 28 million people play the game. There's one winner each week. It's a tough profession.

Side note: NBC's coverage sucked donkey balls. I've never seen so many commercials and needless interviews covering a major event in my lifetime watching the sport. Thank God for DVRs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT