ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The PGA Tour, LIV Golf and the NCAA

king_kong_

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2021
no guaranteed contracts + exploding tv/ad revenue + a bunch of dumb old, fat, rich, ignorant traditionalists = OPPORTUNITY!

good for the players using their leverage to go out and change things for the better. ball is in the PGA's court now, and they will posture a ton publicly prior to bending the knee. it's over. they've lost before they've even entered the ring.

I love this stuff. just like NIL/transfer portal in college football, this has been a long, long time coming

God Bless America - F the establishment, power to the people!

the majors, much like the college football playoff, do not care one iota about the PGA (or NCAA in the CFP's case)

nor should they

Reactions: leodisflowers
no guaranteed contracts + exploding tv/ad revenue + a bunch of dumb old, fat, rich, ignorant traditionalists = OPPORTUNITY!

good for the players using their leverage to go out and change things for the better. ball is in the PGA's court now, and they will posture a ton publicly prior to bending the knee. it's over. they've lost before they've even entered the ring.

I love this stuff. just like NIL/transfer portal in college football, this has been a long, long time coming

God Bless America - F the establishment, power to the people!
I don think the PGA cares , so far Dustin Johnson is tue only name they have lost , we will see how it works out.

I don think the PGA cares , so far Dustin Johnson is tue only name they have lost , we will see how it works out.
every player who tees it up in London is in direct opposition of the player handbook the PGA makes them sign - which is the reason they're being forced to 'resign' (while laughing all the way to the bank)

that includes Phil

Reactions: SuperBigFan
It'll take time but they have lost more than just DJ, Phil has a massive following, the big new rumor is Rickie who is a huge fan draw. Sergio, poulter, Westwood and Louis attract many fans a well.

This will be interesting to see if LIV can sustain or even grow.

LIV is definitely facing an uphill battle because of political views, which shouldn't matter, they're not going to get any support or recognition from TV networks any time soon.

It'll only frustrate me if we don't have the best American golfers on the Ryder Cup team, I love watching it ...that's also being used as leverage by the PGA tour

Reactions: king_kong_
It'll take time but they have lost more than just DJ, Phil has a massive following, the big new rumor is Rickie who is a huge fan draw. Sergio, poulter, Westwood and Louis attract many fans a well.

This will be interesting to see if LIV can sustain or even grow.

LIV is definitely facing an uphill battle because of political views, which shouldn't matter, they're not going to get any support or recognition from TV networks any time soon.

It'll only frustrate me if we don't have the best American golfers on the Ryder Cup team, I love watching it ...that's also being used as leverage by the PGA tour
Bryson and Patrick Reed reportedly have agreed to multi-year deals with LIV

this is exactly like college football and NIL - the PGA as we've known it is donezo

players want guaranteed money, as they should

Bryson and Patrick Reed reportedly have agreed to multi-year deals with LIV

this is exactly like college football and NIL - the PGA as we've known it is donezo

players want guaranteed money, as they should
I can see Reed and even Koepka, I thought Bryson came out recently and said no? Either way I could see it interesting him, why wouldn't it?

The PGA tour is far from done, but in the end maybe some will praise these guys for forcing the tour to make changes?

I can see Reed and even Koepka, I thought Bryson came out recently and said no? Either way I could see it interesting him, why wouldn't it?

The PGA tour is far from done, but in the end maybe some will praise these guys for forcing the tour to make changes?
the PGA Tour as we know it is done

it will either have to pony up guaranteed dough to ALL card holders very soon if it wants to stop this bleeding or it will have to relax its hold on those same players and allow them to compete when/where they want without ridiculous stipulations

like I said, this is exactly like college football and NIL, with the PGA Tour playing the role of the NCAA (in danger of becoming completely irrelevant overnight)

it will either have to pony up guaranteed dough to ALL card holders very soon if it wants to stop this bleeding or it will have to relax its hold on those same players and allow them to compete when/where they want without ridiculous stipulations

like I said, this is exactly like college football and NIL, with the PGA Tour playing the role of the NCAA (in danger of becoming completely irrelevant overnight)
I agree they need to make changes and they will, we see pro leagues do so often, but theirs have to be little more noticeable.

The wild card, like I stated earlier is the TV contracts, not sure how much viewing LIV will get by only streaming on their site, FB and YouTube.

LIV will need to compete in ratings to really push forward.

Last edited:
I agree they need to make changes and they will, we see pro leagues do so often, but there's have to be little more noticeable.

The wild card, like I stated earlier is the TV contracts, not sure how much viewing LIV will get by only streaming on their site, FB and YouTube.

LIV will need to compete in ratings to really push forward.
the real wild card is the fact the Saudis do not care one iota about publicity, marketing, TV, any of it. they do not care if they make a single dollar on this (though they will).

LIV has nothing to lose and everything to gain while being backed by a literal bottomless well of cash

PGA officials have to be furious about this because their authority & status quo is finally being meaningfully challenged. we do not need Jim Nantz to tell us that

the real wild card is the fact the Saudis do not care one iota about publicity, marketing, TV, any of it. they do not care if they make a single dollar on this (though they will).

LIV has nothing to lose and everything to gain while being backed by a literal bottomless well of cash

PGA officials have to be furious about this because their authority & status quo is finally being meaningfully challenged. we do not need Jim Nantz to tell us that

Exactly but at some point it's about the business and making money for them

The PGA has no one to blame but themselves. A lot of the players have been asking for changes for many years so the PGA knew this was coming eventually. Instead of working with the players and seeing how both the PGA and LIV could co-exist (they already co-exist with the DP Tour in Europe), the PGA arrogantly tried to bluff their way into eliminating this tour from existence. Nearly 50 players called the bluff and the way it looks there will be even more.

A lot of the top pro names as far as recognition have wanted to capitalize on their brand for a long time. The PGA has resisted that, and the things they tried to do to compensate from a monetary perspective are not nearly enough for the most well-known players.

The political aspect of coming from the Saudis is a false flag. We have our President going to Saudi Arabia in a month to beg for more oil production. The Saudis have major interests in banking and finance. The list goes on and on for major industries.

The PGA has no one to blame but themselves. A lot of the players have been asking for changes for many years so the PGA knew this was coming eventually. Instead of working with the players and seeing how both the PGA and LIV could co-exist (they already co-exist with the DP Tour in Europe), the PGA arrogantly tried to bluff their way into eliminating this tour from existence. Nearly 50 players called the bluff and the way it looks there will be even more.

A lot of the top pro names as far as recognition have wanted to capitalize on their brand for a long time. The PGA has resisted that, and the things they tried to do to compensate from a monetary perspective are not nearly enough for the most well-known players.

The political aspect of coming from the Saudis is a false flag. We have our President going to Saudi Arabia in a month to beg for more oil production. The Saudis have major interests in banking and finance. The list goes on and on for major industries.
perfectly put

You got that right. If our government won't hold the Saudis responsible for butchering a journalist, why should a golfer? My sports interest follows big personalities. I used to watch Indy car, but after the legendary drivers of the 80's were gone I haven't watched. Same for NASCAR and Earnhardt/Gordon era. I used to not be interested in the NFL, but Mahomes, Allen, etc have made it exciting. Golf fans will follow the personalities and the PGA better recognize that or they'll be dead.

It will be interesting to see which network caves and broadcasts this LIV series. Old guys watch golf. They're not doing that on YouTube. And I wonder what's in this for the Saudis, beyond hubris?

It will be interesting to see which network caves and broadcasts this LIV series. Old guys watch golf. They're not doing that on YouTube. And I wonder what's in this for the Saudis, beyond hubris?

Other than hubris, most likely it is to see women without a veil/burka. Most PGA tour pro wives are hawt!

every player who tees it up in London is in direct opposition of the player handbook the PGA makes them sign - which is the reason they're being forced to 'resign' (while laughing all the way to the bank)

that includes Phil
I always laugh a bit when I see those "richest people in the world" lists...and they don't include some of these middle eastern prince types and sheiks.

Those dudes...literally burn money for fun.

SO why are they so worried about what he does???
They are not , they just informed the players if you join this tour , your are done on the PGA , nothing more if you think this new new tour is going to pay all this guaranteed money to these players no matter how they perform, in my opinion you’re not very bright.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
They are not , they just informed the players if you join this tour , your are done on the PGA , nothing more if you think this new new tour is going to pay all this guaranteed money to these players no matter how they perform, in my opinion you’re not very bright.
You mean they can’t play in the John Deere open and instead they have to now play for $25M purses?

shall I guess which side of the ‘college football players will never be paid’ argument you were on 24-36 months ago? Lol

T
SO why are they so worried about what he does???
They aren't. The media is the one having kittens over Phil playing or not playing. Phil's fine. He's worth hundreds of millions minus whatever his gambling losses have been. Dustin has been noticeably absent from the PGA winner's circle lately so basically what you have bolting for the LIV is some guys who might never win again on the PGA circuit. DeChambeau is the head scratcher but he clearly sees immediate gratification. His back issue is probably the beginning of the end of his PGA success so he's going to grab what he can while he can.

Reactions: AVeritas
You mean they can’t play in the John Deere open and instead they have to now play for $25M purses?

shall I guess which side of the ‘college football players will never be paid’ argument you were on 24-36 months ago? Lol
It's kind of like the Pope supporting HItler so that they could hang on to their riches. Dealing with the devil to line your pockets. We'll see how long the LIV tour hangs on. I suspect it will be like the old WFL.

T

They aren't. The media is the one having kittens over Phil playing or not playing. Phil's fine. He's worth hundreds of millions minus whatever his gambling losses have been. Dustin has been noticeably absent from the PGA winner's circle lately so basically what you have bolting for the LIV is some guys who might never win again on the PGA circuit. DeChambeau is the head scratcher but he clearly sees immediate gratification. His back issue is probably the beginning of the end of his PGA success so he's going to grab what he can while he can.
Yes they are. They still have Tiger, but outside that, Phil is still a huge draw. If they weren't worried about him there probably wouldn't be so much Hoopla. Phil still draws a ton of ratings.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Even if you use hundred dollar bills to wipe your butt, there still has to be a motive for what you do and profit certainly doesn't seem to fit here. I just think it would be interesting to know the back story behind what the Saudi's are doing. Do they love golf that much?

Yes they are. They still have Tiger, but outside that, Phil is still a huge draw. If they weren't worried about him there probably wouldn't be so much Hoopla. Phil still draws a ton of ratings.
I was a huge Phil fan but he doesn't move the needle anymore. He's washed up and has lost much of his likeability. He's done and should just move on the the Senior tour. Phil's problem likely is that his gambling habit probably necessitates bringing in some coin.

Even if you use hundred dollar bills to wipe your butt, there still has to be a motive for what you do and profit certainly doesn't seem to fit here. I just think it would be interesting to know the back story behind what the Saudi's are doing. Do they love golf that much?
Yes to both your questions. The opportunity for an alternate to the PGA has been there for a long time due to the PGA’s mismanagement of its assets.

Now, the players have all the leverage and the Saudis - who love golf, love sticking it to any and everyone and have a literal bottomless well of cash - have taken advantage.

I think it’s great for the game, great for players and great for fans. Exactly like NIL/transfer portal.

I was a huge Phil fan but he doesn't move the needle anymore. He's washed up and has lost much of his likeability. He's done and should just move on the the Senior tour. Phil's problem likely is that his gambling habit probably necessitates bringing in some coin.
He just had perhaps the most historical major win ever 13 months ago

you’re lying to yourself or completely clueless if you actually believe Phil doesn’t move the needle

Yeah you are just wrong on that. When is the last time you went to a golf tourney? Phil has a crazy amount of supporters still and always has one of the largest galleries following him. It fine if you aren't a fan anymore, but he still is a monster draw.

Who cares what their motive is. They have the money to do things and sounds like they have some ideas to potentially make golf more of a draw. I love the fake outrage from a lot of people with all of this stuff. Jack Nicklaus is the biggest hypocrite. He's designed courses in Saudi and even was interested in the LIV and then poof, all of the sudden tries to be Mr. PGA.

Doesn't matter if it is the LIV or the PGA, there is a chance to make golf more watchable and fun. Have more team events, play 12 holes, have shorter tourney's, get more bad guys, etc... I like that they golf world is changing.

Good advice to live by: if the first thing that crosses your mind when describing a possible future employer is "they are scary motherf&(%#$@", and they are willing to pay you 10-30X more in guaranteed money than anyone else in the market----you might want to walk away...

Who cares what their motive is. They have the money to do things and sounds like they have some ideas to potentially make golf more of a draw. I love the fake outrage from a lot of people with all of this stuff. Jack Nicklaus is the biggest hypocrite. He's designed courses in Saudi and even was interested in the LIV and then poof, all of the sudden tries to be Mr. PGA.

Doesn't matter if it is the LIV or the PGA, there is a chance to make golf more watchable and fun. Have more team events, play 12 holes, have shorter tourney's, get more bad guys, etc... I like that they golf world is changing.
I guess I'm a traditionalist. I like seeing the best in the world compete against each other in tournaments I've watched for years. I do not watch the "made for TV events". Personally I don't care if Bryson, Phil and Dustin go to the LIV. None of them get my attention anymore and I'll be just fine never watching the golf brat Bryson play again. I love to watch Jordan, Justin, Scottie etc go toe to toe. Gimme some more of some of the young guns that keep popping up now on the PGA tour. Don't feed me the BS that this is about the good of the game and to help the player's situation. This is a money grab.

Most of the LIV guys are the over-the-hill gang. Perhaps that's what they should name it.

DVD_cover_of_the_movie_The_Over-the-Hill_Gang.jpg

• Love
Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT