ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The PGA Tour, LIV Golf and the NCAA

one of the many reasons the 'traditionalists' (Tour officials) are in this mess is taking themselves way too seriously at all times

the PGA is definitely, 100% not worried about this at all. they will make headlines with young no-namers in canada tomorrow, I'm sure (lol).

even if Rory wins up there, the story will NOT be about his & the PGA Tour's prowess. the story will be the fact that he will win less than half the LIV event winner while playing one more round against a 3x larger field.

a prediction - someone from the LIV tour will win a major by the end of the '23 season.

Does it really bother you that people can make lots of money or it's just to much too soon for traditionist. These current players going with LIV are just the beginning of a movement for guaranteed money and security for players and their families.

The only thing LIV hurts are the corporate sponsors on the PGA, talk about greed if you want but those sponsors of PGA events have made billions off the backs of PGA players. Watch Networks line up to put the LIV product on the air to go head to head with tradition Networks, it's coming. Watch the LIV product attract new sponsors once more and more star power is added to their golf league.

Good for anyone who is able to make an honest living for the security and happiness.

it is hysterical to see all these self-righteous (at the same time talentless) dweebs acting so butthurt now that it's their lunch money on the line

the PGA needs great players a hell of a lot more than great players need the PGA

Reactions: leodisflowers
it is hysterical to see all these self-righteous (at the same time talentless) dweebs acting so butthurt now that it's their lunch money on the line

the PGA needs great players a hell of a lot more than great players need the PGA

As he lounges in his back yard at Pebble Beach. Hypocrites are some of the funniest creatures on earth, they talk before they think. Nance has made his millions off of the backs of PGA players for a long time and will continue to do so.

It's a symptom of this millennial/gen x group that they sympathize with the villains who have nothing to offer us but money. The "me" generation sees these past-their-primers as heroes. They can't win on merit but beat the odds through schemes, even playing for the devil. It's not equality, it's equity after all. It's not meritocracy, but aristocracy.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
It's a symptom of this millennial/gen x group that they sympathize with the villains who have nothing to offer us but money. The "me" generation sees these past-their-primers as heroes. They can't win on merit but beat the odds through schemes, even playing for the devil. It's not equality, it's equity after all. It's not meritocracy, but aristocracy.
Lol. Yep. Blame the millennials!

• Love
Lol. Yep. Blame the millennials!
I suspect you are as no one finds anything admirable in this salacious group plying their trade on behalf of the Saudis. There is nothing here but a meritless money grab, the root of all evil but god of the "me" generation.

• Haha
I suspect you are as no one finds anything admirable in this salacious group plying their trade on behalf of the Saudis. There is nothing here but a meritless money grab, the root of all evil but god of the "me" generation.
get these talking points from the "holier-than-thou douchebag" handbook the PGA commissioner was reading from on Sunday afternoon?

people getting paid what they're worth - somehow meritless, evil and selfish

people earning unlimited dollars off the backs of employees who possess all the talent, have zero guarantees & have to pay all expenses up front - somehow honorable

saudis are the #1 shareholder in twitter and uber. hope you don't use those services, either, lest your moral compass start to spin in uncontrollable circles

Not sure if you are a history buff, but the "me" generation is a tale as long as time. Every generation, as they age, makes the same argument. Also, Saudi is pretty far down the list on human rights violations, but probably an outstanding citizen like yourself would never get anything from countries like China, India, etc.. Spare me your fake outrage. The PGA Tour I guarantee would gladly except money from these guys before all of this, but now the there is some competition and their poor little feelings are hurt. Newsflash, pro sports are all about a money grab and golf is no different. PGA has taken all kinds of dollars from corrupt as **** corporations within the US, but where is all the outrage?

get these talking points from the "holier-than-thou douchebag" handbook the PGA commissioner was reading from on Sunday afternoon?

people getting paid what they're worth - somehow meritless, evil and selfish

people earning unlimited dollars off the backs of employees who possess all the talent, have zero guarantees & have to pay all expenses up front - somehow honorable

saudis are the #1 shareholder in twitter and uber. hope you don't use those services, either, lest your moral compass start to spin in uncontrollable circle
My take is the LIV underachievers tour must suck ass if Schwartzel won. In his career he won twice on the PGA. He missed like half the cuts on the PGA in the last year and had like one top ten. Sometimes you need to make the decision if you want to play against the best or get paid. Do you want the glory or simply a bigger payday. He obviously, along the rest of the current LIV players, have been getting their heads kicked in on the PGA so why not go for the cash because none of the players have had any recent glory with the exception of Mickelson's fluke win in the PGA. The LIV is a currently a tour of underachieving players who really have never been that good with the exception of Mickelson and he's over the hill. Mickelson was even an underachiever for a long time so he probably has sympathies for his co-members. Chase the money all you want but a Schwartzel win in a 54 hole tournament is on par with whomever won on the Seniors tour this weekend from a glory perspective. Kind of in the "who cares" category from a sports fan perspective.

Not sure if you are a history buff, but the "me" generation is a tale as long as time. Every generation, as they age, makes the same argument. Also, Saudi is pretty far down the list on human rights violations, but probably an outstanding citizen like yourself would never get anything from countries like China, India, etc.. Spare me your fake outrage. The PGA Tour I guarantee would gladly except money from these guys before all of this, but now the there is some competition and their poor little feelings are hurt. Newsflash, pro sports are all about a money grab and golf is no different. PGA has taken all kinds of dollars from corrupt as **** corporations within the US, but where is all the outrage?
Yes, I am a history buff. About finished with Follett's trilogies. If you spent a few thousand pages with his walk-through history you better understand the moral as well as meritless depravity of these has-beens licking at the Saudi heels.

Reactions: dinglefritz
My take is the LIV underachievers tour must suck ass if Schwartzel won. In his career he won twice on the PGA. He missed like half the cuts on the PGA in the last year and had like one top ten. Sometimes you need to make the decision if you want to play against the best or get paid. Do you want the glory or simply a bigger payday. He obviously, along the rest of the current LIV players, have been getting their heads kicked in on the PGA so why not go for the cash because none of the players have had any recent glory with the exception of Mickelson's fluke win in the PGA. The LIV is a currently a tour of underachieving players who really have never been that good with the exception of Mickelson and he's over the hill. Mickelson was even an underachiever for a long time so he probably has sympathies for his co-members. Chase the money all you want but a Schwartzel win in a 54 hole tournament is on par with whomever won on the Seniors tour this weekend from a glory perspective. Kind of in the "who cares" category from a sports fan perspective.
Charl Schwartzel is the proud owner of a custom-fit green jacket

just in 2022, there have been 9 first-time winners on the PGA Tour

is it also an indictment that complete nobodies from nowhere routinely win Tour events (against the best in the world, no less!) only to never be heard from ever again?

the fact NBC and the PGA Tour spent a ton of time trying to disparage its competition, including many gigantic names who will be major draws this weekend in the USGA's most important event, while their poster boys were battling it out tells everyone all they need to know about how upset the PGA is about the existence of an alternate to their product (and, thus, a threat to their livelihood). 40% of the previous 6 US Open winners are LIV players

the parallels to NIL are uncanny, right down to opposers taking the moral high ground when they run out of actual arguments

Last edited:
A meritless money grab by a bunch of has-beens. Only the most simple-minded would enjoy watching this happen particularly under the Saudi umbrella. Schwartzel hasn't won a tournament in six years, prior to this exhibition.

The PGA is an association of professionals who run a merit-based system that rewards people on performance, not privilege. LIV is just the opposite. I cannot for the life of me understand what the Saudis are trying to do except destroy the PGA. It's certainly not an attempt to improve the product.

is it also an indictment that complete nobodies from nowhere routinely win Tour events (against the best in the world, no less!) only to never be heard from ever again?

the fact NBC and the PGA Tour spent a ton of time trying to disparage its competition, including many gigantic names who will be major draws this weekend in the USGA's most important event, while their poster boys were battling it out tells everyone all they need to know about how upset the PGA is about the existence of an alternate to their product (and, thus, a threat to their livelihood). 40% of the previous 6 US Open winners are LIV players

the parallels to NIL are uncanny, right down to opposers taking the moral high ground when they run out of actual arguments

• Haha
A meritless money grab by a bunch of has-beens. Only the most simple-minded would enjoy watching this happen particularly under the Saudi umbrella. Schwartzel hasn't won a tournament in six years, prior to this exhibition.

The PGA is an association of professionals who run a merit-based system that rewards people on performance, not privilege. LIV is just the opposite. I cannot for the life of me understand what the Saudis are trying to do except destroy the PGA. It's certainly not an attempt to improve the product.
If it’s merit-based, the greedy assholes in charge would’ve been ousted years ago instead of being allowed to get fat off the backs of their players

the pga and ncaa are two sides of the same coin in my book - a completely unnecessary layer of bureaucracy that exists solely to suck cash away from those who actually earn it

Yes they are. They still have Tiger, but outside that, Phil is still a huge draw. If they weren't worried about him there probably wouldn't be so much Hoopla. Phil still draws a ton of ratings.
Not any more , and that is exactly why he went and took the big money,

• Haha
Other than the Majors, does anyone actually watch the Pro golf?

I will watch the Majors, usually on Sunday, but the PGA tour, I would only watch a round in person if it came to my home town as i did when the i went to the Quad Cities open once when we lived in the Quad Cities.

Other than the Majors, does anyone actually watch the Pro golf?

I will watch the Majors, usually on Sunday, but the PGA tour, I would only watch a round in person if it came to my home town as i did when the i went to the Quad Cities open once when we lived in the Quad Cities.
I agree and this is part of the PGA's issue and what is so appealing about the LIV. Unless you are a super golf fan or a person that lives in the city where the event is, no one really wants to watch the Travelers or the Valspar or a lot of the other shitty tournaments that the big guns don't play.

My question is how much money does the PGA and the wall street companies that fund its tournaments make in China? Its human rights record is no better than Saudi's. If its about taking dirty money, then let's see them walk away from all the China billions that funds the PGA today --- sancitmonious bunch of hypocrites.

Yeah, you have no idea, but good try. I was at the PGA at Kiawah and if you think no one really follows Phil, you are delusional.
I didn’t say nobody follows him, I just said he isn’t a draw to the new generation of golf fans , if you think the PGA or the networks are worried that Phil is not playing here you’re an idiot!

no guaranteed contracts + exploding tv/ad revenue + a bunch of dumb old, fat, rich, ignorant traditionalists = OPPORTUNITY!

good for the players using their leverage to go out and change things for the better. ball is in the PGA's court now, and they will posture a ton publicly prior to bending the knee. it's over. they've lost before they've even entered the ring.

I love this stuff. just like NIL/transfer portal in college football, this has been a long, long time coming

God Bless America - F the establishment, power to the people!
no guaranteed contracts + exploding tv/ad revenue + a bunch of dumb old, fat, rich, ignorant traditionalists = OPPORTUNITY!

good for the players using their leverage to go out and change things for the better. ball is in the PGA's court now, and they will posture a ton publicly prior to bending the knee. it's over. they've lost before they've even entered the ring.

I love this stuff. just like NIL/transfer portal in college football, this has been a long, long time coming

God Bless America - F the establishment, power to the people!
How do you guarantee contracts in a individual sport , these golfers get guaranteed money through their sponsorships , I have no issues with anybody going to the Liv , but I also have no issues with the PGA saying you can’t do both. You know it’s dipshits like you that think you can do whatever you want in life , but there should be no consequences somewhere. Go FYS!

• Haha
How do you guarantee contracts in a individual sport , these golfers get guaranteed money through their sponsorships , I have no issues with anybody going to the Liv , but I also have no issues with the PGA saying you can’t do both. You know it’s dipshits like you that think you can do whatever you want in life , but there should be no consequences somewhere. Go FYS!
Tell the entire world you’re a senile prick in one post challenge

I don't debate that LIV could be a challenge to the PGA. It will all come down to the ability to play the majors. But the LIV right now is made up of a bunch of underachievers and has-beens looking for paydays. More power to them but winning a LIV event is about as impactful as winning the club championship. Charl Schwartzel winning is proof positive for that. You got to be kind of embarrassed if you are Dustin Johnson or Talor Gooch or Phil Mickelson. Complete nobodies win on the PGA tour but none of those complete nobodies has been Charl Schwarzel in a long time.

The second-place finisher was Hennie Du Plessis. You all follow Hennie, I'm sure. Thus, you understand how serious this exhibition in London was, right? Compelling golf. Your second-place finisher, the fabulous Hennie Du Plessis.

Hennie-du-Plessis-during-day-3-of-the-Limpopo-Championships-at-Euphoria-Golf-and-Lifestyle-Estate-in-Mookgophong-on-Saturday-Photo-Heinrich-Helmbold-Sunshine-Tour

Last edited:
The second-place finisher was Hennie Du Plessis. You all follow Hennie, I'm sure. Thus, you understand how serious this exhibition in London was, right? Compelling golf. Your second-place finisher, the fabulous Hennie Du Plessis.

Hennie-du-Plessis-during-day-3-of-the-Limpopo-Championships-at-Euphoria-Golf-and-Lifestyle-Estate-in-Mookgophong-on-Saturday-Photo-Heinrich-Helmbold-Sunshine-Tour
These posts are getting more and more pathetic

Hennie’s 2nd place finish netted him more than Rory’s win while needing to play 18 less holes

While you’re insisting on showing your ass to all who care to see, can you please repost any and all thoughts on NIL over the past couple years? Thanks in advance. It’s important to keep records so we know who to listen to and whose opinions are akin to loud long farts.

These posts are getting more and more pathetic

Hennie’s 2nd place finish netted him more than Rory’s win while needing to play 18 less holes

While you’re insisting on showing your ass to all who care to see, can you please repost any and all thoughts on NIL over the past couple years? Thanks in advance. It’s important to keep records so we know who to listen to and whose opinions are akin to loud long farts.
I have long supported the concept of NIL. The fact it came without guardrails is a disappointment but typical of NCAA regulatory performance over the years.

However, NIL has nothing to do with LIV golf, which it seems is intended to demolish the U.S.-based PGA tour and make golf a worldwide exhibition sport under the Saudi umbrella led by the likes of Hennie Du Plessis.

I have long supported the concept of NIL. The fact it came without guardrails is a disappointment but typical of NCAA regulatory performance over the years.

However, NIL has nothing to do with LIV golf, which it seems is intended to demolish the U.S.-based PGA tour and make golf a worldwide exhibition sport under the Saudi umbrella led by the likes of Hennie Du Plessis.
ooooooh okay, your stance makes sense now. ignorance is bliss after all!

if the US-based PGA Tour collapses at the introduction of its first ever real competition, well.... perhaps it shouldn't have been in the merit-based business in the first place. would make good on its designation as a non-profit org to weasel out of paying tens of millions in taxes

I believe the outcome of all this disruption will be ultimate freedom for players to play where they choose, make as much money as they can and continue to compete at the highest level 4x per year in majors

after lots of public posturing, the PGA will bend the knee to the players (not the Saudis, who host PGA-sponsored events annually, boast many Jack-designed courses and pump a lot of cash into the game via traditional channels), who want this to a man. that is a very good thing for golf

Last edited:
for anyone like our ksu fan friend here who doesn't understand the root cause of the issue re: LIV and the PGA Tour, here it is:

golfers are independent contractors, but the PGA Tour behaves like a traditional professional league, enforcing overarching rules for players who are not allowed to collectively bargain while at the same time leveraging those same players into gigantic media deals and annual revenues

the middle ground is what LIV is bringing to the forefront. these fundamental issues are EXACTLY like NIL.

If there is a cushier job in America than being a PGA golfer I'd like to know what it is. Just can't wrap my mind around how poorly they are treated because they only got 34% of revenue generated, which isn't the same as profit generated. I also don't care if the same players who agreed to the PGA rules choose to give 'em the middle finger and walk out for a better job/payday. I have no dog in the fight...I just can't feel sorry for PGA players under any circumstance. What I do like hearing is how well the Caddie's are being treated in the new league compared to the PGA. I was told by somebody who knows far more about this than I that it wasn't uncommon for several Caddies to stay in one hotel room with the PGA and in the new league they all get their own rooms? I can get behind that. Maybe that will be something the PGA changes and that is a good thing. Maybe the "little people" who help make the PGA go will realize a better life and more money going forward due to the new league.

If there is a cushier job in America than being a PGA golfer I'd like to know what it is. Just can't wrap my mind around how poorly they are treated because they only got 34% of revenue generated, which isn't the same as profit generated. I also don't care if the same players who agreed to the PGA rules choose to give 'em the middle finger and walk out for a better job/payday. I have no dog in the fight...I just can't feel sorry for PGA players under any circumstance. What I do like hearing is how well the Caddie's are being treated in the new league compared to the PGA. I was told by somebody who knows far more about this than I that it wasn't uncommon for several Caddies to stay in one hotel room with the PGA and in the new league they all get their own rooms? I can get behind that. Maybe that will be something the PGA changes and that is a good thing. Maybe the "little people" who help make the PGA go will realize a better life and more money going forward due to the new league.
the 250th player on Tour last year made $6,000

players are charged $50/tournament by the PGA just to use the locker room!

Maybe the 250th best player should consider another line of work...
that's kind of the entire point, though. that player represents most tour players at some point in their careers.

forcing fringe players to run to another line of work after one injury or poor season is terrible for the game.

that's kind of the entire point, though. that player represents most tour players at some point in their careers.

forcing fringe players to run to another line of work after one injury or poor season is terrible for the game.
The true 250th player does not deserve the same benefits as the others, and you don’t end up in that spot with 1 bad year. If you were a good player and had injury it happens, you will have plenty of money in the bank anyway.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
The true 250th player does not deserve the same benefits as the others, and you don’t end up in that spot with 1 bad year. If you were a good player and had injury it happens, you will have plenty of money in the bank anyway.
so, you're cool with a front-line worker not having health insurance while the VP does?

do you think Titleist/Callaway/whoever just hands out multi-million dollar endorsements as a right of passage when someone earns their Tour card?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT