ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Riley

GraveyardFields

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 12, 2002
Sorry if someone has already posted this. But, I've read a number of people minimizing Coach Riley's winning record at Oregon State and attempt to spin away Oregon State's lack of success prior to his arrival. So, just to put the actual numbers out there:

Oregon State's overall winning percentage all-time is .484. That's pretty low for most major conference programs. Riley's winning percentage is .537 - a significant improvement over their history. But that doesn't really tell the whole story.

Prior to the 70's OSU was certainly not a good program. They were a mediocre middling program. Then the floor dropped out. In the 25 years prior to Riley taking over the first time, they had won 52 total games from 1972-1996. That's an overall winning percentage of .188 - absolutely dreadful by any standard. The most games they won in any season during that two and a half decade span was four. Within his first two years, Riley had already won five games in a season for the first time since 1971. Then Dennis E improved upon what he did and had their best season during his four years. But Riley has posted eight winning seasons during his tenure there, something that had not been done once in the 25 years prior to his hiring. He has six seasons of at least eight wins, four seasons of at least nine wins, and one 10 win season. It took Coach Riley less than eight full seasons to win more games than had been won in the previous 25 years prior to his arrival. And that doesn't take in to account DE's four years that built off of what Riley had started.

Also, since the 9 win mark has been a major topic here (and I am one that doesn't easily dismiss Bo's 9 or 10 win streak. It's a significant accomplishment IMO) OSU only has seven seasons in their entire history of winning nine or more games. Riley has four of those seasons, though in fairness, in some of their early years they had good winning percentages but played less games and weren't able to win nine. But it demonstrates the futility of modern OSU football prior to his arrival.

What Snyder has done at KSU is even more impressive, but it's like comparing every coach to Tom. Given that they are among the very best ever, it's an absurd standard. If Riley does half the job at Nebraska that Snyder did at KSU (relatively speaking) we'll all be pleased.

Numbers can be spun any which way - positive or negative. At this point in time since Riley has been hired and is on board now it only matters to see what he does this Fall at NEBRASKA in the B1G. IMO further analysis of Oregon State is not going to tell us much more than we already know. Personally I'm going to wait under the regular season end now to judge how he did.

NO, we'll not all be pleased with half the job Snyder did. I expect more than that at Nebraska.

Tom Osborne was 0-0 as a head coach prior to taking over Nebraska. Therefore, he should've been a lifetime .500 coach.

Les Miles was .570 as a head coach before taking over LSU with a 1-2 bowl record and no titles. Wait, he's .826 at LSU with 2 conference titles, and a national title.

Pete Carroll? .526 win percentage before taking over USC. You guessed it, .836 win % at USC, with 6 conference and 2 national titles.

Yep, there are no guarantees, regardless who the comparison is.

Bo Pelini had 7 seasons, produced 0 conference titles, 0 BCS bowl games, 0 top 10 finishes, blown out multiple times per year and embarrassed this great state, University, football program, athletic department, and fan base countless times.

So good luck cheering on the Penguins!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

happy0030.r191677.gif

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
Tom Osborne was 0-0 as a head coach prior to taking over Nebraska. Therefore, he should've been a lifetime .500 coach.

Les Miles was .570 as a head coach before taking over LSU with a 1-2 bowl record and no titles. Wait, he's .826 at LSU with 2 conference titles, and a national title.

Pete Carroll? .526 win percentage before taking over USC. You guessed it, .836 win % at USC, with 6 conference and 2 national titles.

Yep, there are no guarantees, regardless who the comparison is.

Bo Pelini had 7 seasons, produced 0 conference titles, 0 BCS bowl games, 0 top 10 finishes, blown out multiple times per year and embarrassed this great state, University, football program, athletic department, and fan base countless times.

So good luck cheering on the Penguins!
cool0020.r191677.gif

Originally posted by RedCap:
Numbers can be spun any which way - positive or negative. At this point in time since Riley has been hired and is on board now it only matters to see what he does this Fall at NEBRASKA in the B1G. IMO further analysis of Oregon State is not going to tell us much more than we already know. Personally I'm going to wait under the regular season end now to judge how he did.
I agree with the above. Hard lines have been drawn, and another post is not going change people's thoughts. I've never followed OSU, and I'm not going to research OSU football. This is what I know, with Dennis Erickson OSU won 11 games and OSU finished high In the rankings.

At this point what happened at Riley's prior jobs doesn't really matter. It is pretty simple. If he wins a lot of games he keeps his job. If he doesn't win a lot of games he is gone. And "a lot of games" is defined by the administration and boosters.

I've never followed OSU, and I'm not going to research OSU football. This is what I know, with Dennis Erickson OSU won 11 games and OSU finished high In the rankings.

Interesting that you're not going to research anything about OSU but you know about something that happened 14 years ago.

You Huskerlini fans try to hide, without much success.

I've never followed OSU, and I'm not going to research OSU football. This is what I know, with Dennis Erickson OSU won 11 games and OSU finished high In the rankings.

Interesting that you're not going to research anything about OSU but you know about something that happened 14 years ago.

You Huskerlini fans try to hide, without much success.

I mistakenly thought that most would know who Dennis Erickson is.

So you remembered one season Erickson had at Oregon State, 14 years ago? Coincidentally, you didn't mention the very next season of 5-6 but you remembered 1 of 4 seasons. Just so happens to be his best season.

Lmao, you're not fooling anyone. Wait, speaking of Erickson, why didn't he have the same success at OSU that he did at Miami?!? After all, past results are a guarantee....

So you remembered one season Erickson had at Oregon State, 14 years ago? Coincidentally, you didn't mention the very next season of 5-6 but you remembered 1 of 4 seasons. Just so happens to be his best season.

Lmao, you're not fooling anyone. Wait, speaking of Erickson, why didn't he have the same success at OSU that he did at Miami?!? After all, past results are a guarantee....

And I should remember his bad seasons?

Erickson was a very good coach during his run, but still not good enough to win it all at OSU. As for past results, I suppose a blind hog can find an acorn every now and then.

But here's something to consider if you like.

If you proclaim our coaching staff to be excellent or great, then you should expect comparisons with other excellent or great staffs.

If you consider our coaching staff to be just okay or maybe good, then why argue.

Originally posted by 500mileRadius:
How would you compare what Riley has done at Oregon State versus what Bill Snyder has done at Kansas State?
You will get no argument from anyone as to what an amazing job Snyder has done with KSU. There were so many disadvantages with the program when he took it over. But he did have one AMAZING advantage. KSU admissions while being surrounded by so many JUCO's. The state of Kansas has both quantity and quality when it comes to JUCO football talent. Any player graduating from a Kansas JUCO is guaranteed admission to KSU. So many players that would have difficulty getting enrollment to other schools could get into KSU. Snyder saw this advantage and used it along with good coaching and a soft OOC schedule to build that program up. It didn't hurt that he had 2 in conference wins almost every year with Iowa St and Kansas. No doubting he is a great coach and deserves the praise.

According to you, in your exact words, "I mistakenly thought that most would know who Dennis Erickson is.", so yes, it's excepted to know all of his seasons. Unless of course there's an agenda behind only sharing one of his season records. I never said this staff would be great, okay or even good.

What's happened at other places mean absolutely nothing and not only did I give examples, I can share plenty more on both sides of the table.

Comparing coaches while at other programs and from other timeframes is a waste of time. Apples and doorknobs.

Riley is a fresh look, has done everything right so far, and deserves our support. Give the guy a shot!

I think what made some of us hesitant about Riley's record is that in the last 5 years he is 29-33 with three losing seasons. You would expect a coach to have a bad record in his first few years at a bad program, but by years 10-14 you don't expect multiple losing seasons.

With that said, Riley has shown flashes of brilliance during his tenure at Oregon State, and he has made all of the right moves here so far. The players seemed to have bought in. Sometimes a change of scenery can rejuvenate a coach. I know this, when you compare coaching staffs as a whole, this new staff blows away the old staff.

Originally posted by nebcountry:

And I should remember his bad seasons?

Erickson was a very good coach during his run, but still not good enough to win it all at OSU. As for past results, I suppose a blind hog can find an acorn every now and then.

But here's something to consider if you like.

If you proclaim our coaching staff to be excellent or great, then you should expect comparisons with other excellent or great staffs.

If you consider our coaching staff to be just okay or maybe good, then why argue.
He did offer comparisons. Learn to read.
Riley is our head coach. I have high expectations for him and frankly OSU doesn't matter at this point. Get over it.

This staff has me and many of my friends very confident about 11 wins this year...something we have not said for awhile now.

Why go 5 years back and not 3? Or 6? Or 7? Or 8? Or 9?

We know why, it's selective data to not support someone that'll represent UNL, NU, the state and fan base the way it should be. And hopefully win somebting we haven't in a decade and a half.

Originally posted by JohnRossEwing:
This staff has me and many of my friends very confident about 11 wins this year...something we have not said for awhile now.
For this to happen Nebraska needs to be 5-0 going into the Wisconsin game.

BYU and Miami are no gimmes especially the BYU game who will have a very good offense to contend with.

Originally posted by Harry Caray:
I think what made some of us hesitant about Riley's record is that in the last 5 years he is 29-33 with three losing seasons. You would expect a coach to have a bad record in his first few years at a bad program, but by years 10-14 you don't expect multiple losing seasons.
IF, IF HCMR had brought his entire staff with him, I could see pointing out the most recent seasons. BUT he didnt. He was able to cherry pick some VERY qualified coaches, some of them I'm sure he would consider to be some of the best he has ever had work for him, or he wouldn't have hired them.

Our last defensive staff had a DC in name only, and a one year assistant who had a very short stint as a DC at Air Force. Now our defensive staff has two coaches who have been the DC in prior positions.

Think a coaching staff doesnt make a difference? Ask Bob Stoops.

MR has been courted by two schools with arguably more tradition than Nebraska (Alabama and USC) during his coaching career. So I guess those ADs must be stupid?

MR has done something no Nebraska coach has ever done. Beat USC.

MR knows he likely won't coach here for 20 years. He came here at 61 years old. Why? Becuase he wants to take a shot at the big prize at a program where he feels he can do it.

Record at Oregon State? Many many coaches move on when they feel or realize they have hit their ceiling. HTO pointed out Les Miles. How about Roy Williams, Dave Van Horn, Bill Self, etc, etc. All moved on when they saw a place with a higher ceiling. I'll be anxious to see if anyone can match Riley's record at OSU in the shadow of Nike U?

So stop the last 3 seasons argument, or 3 of 5 records. He may not work out at Nebraska, but it's obvious he's going to go for broke trying to succeed.

Originally posted by scarletred:
Originally posted by JohnRossEwing:
For this to happen Nebraska needs to be 5-0 going into the Wisconsin game.

BYU and Miami are no gimmes especially the BYU game who will have a very good offense to contend with.
Yeah, I agree...but I still see it working out. I see BYU being one of those 20-17 home wins for NU and people freaking out but I think things will start to click.

I dont really expect Riley to win big at Nebraska but I could care less. He will not do anything to embarrass Nebraska like Pelini did. I think most fans can deal with not winning nine games per year as long as we do it with dignity.

Originally posted by OwlsRule:
I think most fans can deal with not winning nine games per year as long as we do it with dignity.
Only way this statement is true is if those < 9 win seasons come once every 5 years and the other 4 years we've won at least a BCS bowl game or two along with 3-4 conference championship game appearances.

We will need to show some patience with Riley or we will be doomed to relive the same rinse and repeat hire/fire of a coach. Not sure how many more of those most fans can take. Do we really want to have a new coach every 5-7 years until we find one that wins BIG quickly.

Enough with the Osborne patience speak. Next you'll suggest that a run-oriented offense is the only path for championships at Nebraska.

PS: Mike Riley will be 62 years old when he coaches his first game at Nebraska.

This post was edited on 4/7 9:06 AM by 500mileRadius

Enough with the Osborne patience speak. Next you'll suggest that a run-oriented offense is the only path for championships at Nebraska.

PS: Mike Riley will be 62 years old when he coaches his first game at Nebraska.

This post was edited on 4/7 9:06 AM by 500mileRadius
Wiscy was a FG away from hanging 62 on your Pelini. Mark...the defensive genius.

Enough with the Osborne patience speak.
Nope, it's been stated here since 2008 that patience is needed with Pelini. So, patience it is with coach Riley.

You can use any time frame you want but the simple fact is OSU was trending down not up or even that is the concern and it is a valid one.

Now certainly it is harder to win at some schools that is why you look at trajectory - Les Miles at Okie state was trending up that is why LSU hired him and it paid off. Oregon state under Riley showed the same trend earlier on and that is why other schools wanted him. Lately however the trend is down and it is a concern. Even Riley admitted this last year at OSU

Now maybe the change will energize him, maybe his style of play is more suited to the Big10 and it is very possible he can do well here and I love what he has done so far during the transition.

Make no mistake however the downward trend at OSU is a concern all programs look at this. If not then a coach like Mack Brown would still be at Texas

Originally posted by SnohomishRed:

You can use any time frame you want
Okay, I'll use 2006-2008, Oregon State went 10-4, 9-4, 9-4.

Therefore, he's Tom Osborne, the conference titles will come, just have patience. It took Tom Osborne 9 years before he won an outright conference title, at Nebraska. Patience, patience, patience.

Gawd damn this is fun!

Frank Solich would disagree with that statement.
Since YOU bring up Frank. You do realize that Bo and Carl were part of Frank's problems don't you? Their "behavior" on and off the field contributed to Frank's demise. SOME of Frank's staff was out of control. There is ZERO love lost between Frank and the Pelini Bros. In FACT there was a very trusted former assistant of Tom's that strongly recommended against him hiring Bo and Carl. Hindsight is 20/20. Frank might have been able to turn some of his recruiting deficiencies around, but the recruiting failures and Bo and Carl sealed his fate. Frank with a stable proven recruiter as his DC might have saved his job. Instead he got a mentally unstable DC that hated recruiting along with a despicable older brother that didn't mind whose wife or girlfriend he laid. I am still dumbfounded that Tom hired Bo back. He was warned. Booster/golf buddy money talks I guess. Bo got SEVEN years and all he did was embarrass our beloved school and state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT