ADVERTISEMENT

Very early season prediction thread

Only 2 opponents won 9+ games last year. Three opponents have new coaches. There are 7 home games and Nebraska has a chance to be favored in 5 or 6 of them. It seems like a similar schedule to Riley's 2015 season in which he lost several close games, but was not blown out. Hopefully, 2023 turns out better.

Reactions: king_kong_
4-8

Not because I don't believe in Rhule, but look at his track record. He never starts out great. I also haven't been a kool aid drinker for the last 9 years

Yes, Rhule does not have a great record out of the gate. I also think Minn is more winnable than CU. People forget there is nobody left from CU’s 1-11 team last year. We don’t know what we are going to see at CU but it’s more talented than 1-11

One positive this year is hopefully we have 2 qb’s we can win with should one get hurt.

Okay, so I am bored and I was looking at the schedule and guessing at what this season might be like. So I thought what the heck, why not start a prediction thread?
So many factors to consider. QB play. Offensive line improvement. Linebacker improvement. Better pass rush... So here goes:

@Minnesota: Loss. The Rhule era gets off to a rocky start. If this was not our first game and were it not on the road I would pencil this in the win column.
@CU: On the road and tons of fans will be in the stands with high emotion to see Deion's first game as coach. But we find a way to win.
Northern Illinois: A win. It better be and it will be. Rhule is not Mike Riley
La Tech: Same as above. No more Georgia Southerns. Rhule is not Scott Frost
Michigan: Loss. The talent gap is still too large.
@Illinois: Win. We should have beaten these turds last year.
Northwestern: Win. The Fitzgerald magic has worn off.
Purdue: Win. By this point in the season there will be momentum. Home game. We beat these guys.
@MSU: Win. MSU was really bad last year. Of course, so were we. But we always play very competitively against these guys. A solid road win
Maryland: Win. Home game and riding a four game win streak.
@Wisconsin: Win. I am tempted to predict a loss here. Mainly because Wisconsin has had our number since we joined the conference. I think we get some revenge here.
Iowa: WIN!!! And it won't be close this year.

As you can see, I am drinking the Rhule-Aid. I really think we are going to be a much improved team this year. And other than Michigan, there is not another team on our schedule that has more talent than we do. That is why I see a regular season at 10-2 with a trip to Indianapolis. Am I dreaming? Am I full of shit?
8-4

Outside of Iowa, beating Fleck and Primetime are two of the top things I'm hoping to see next year, and we get them in the first two games. I don't see a fast start to this year nearly as critical as it was last year for Frost, but going 0-2 to start the year against those 2 coaches would still suck, no matter how you spin it.
My how the Iowa isn’t worthy of discussion or rivalry talking point has changed.

Minnesota: Loss, Tough game to open with a conference foe on the road. PJ's teams are always tough to beat. You have to get ahead on them early because they aren't built to play from behind. I think we could win but I'd give Minnesota the slight edge.
CU: Win, Colorado will be much improved but they were dreadful last year. It will take time for all of that talent Deion brought in to gel and Rhule will have our guys ready to go.
NIU: Win. Probably closer than we will want it to be but the talent we have will pull us away in the 2nd half
LA Tech: Win. Think this one is close for awhile too but we'll pull away in the end.
Michigan: Loss. I think we come out and surprise Michigan early. Harbaugh's teams are notorious slow starters. But they mount a comeback and win the Bussin' Bowl.
Illinois: Win, This will be a knock down drag out game. Bielema's teams are tough but he lost a lot last year with 5th and 6th year guys.
Northwestern: Win, Fitzgerald will always have a tough defense but the new B1G is making it painfully difficult for the Wildcats to compete.
Purdue: Win, I think their new coach is in way over his head. I don't think any B1G schools should be hiring 1st time head coaches any more.
MSU: Loss, I think Mel Tucker has a major rebound this year and they'll be a top 25 team
Maryland: Loss Locksley has quietly built a formidable team the past few years. Think they'll be a tough out
Wisconsin: Win I don't think Wisky realizes how hard a transition from Pro Style to Air Raid is. They don't have the talent at Receiver and Quarterback at the moment. Will really depend on if Leonhard can keep the defense going.
Iowa: Win Kirk and Brian are going to be on the hot seat at the end of next season. Their offense is going to be better but it won't be good next year.

I can't believe it but I think we could go 8-4. We could also very likely go 3-9. Wisconsin Iowa Minnesota Illinois Purdue will all be really close games. But that seems to be Rhule's specialty is winning close games so I'll say we go bowling and the Huskers are on the up and up.
Can I ask why you think Purdue's coach and his staff are over their head? I don't get that at all. They are already showing they will probably out recruit Brohm. They've seemingly fixed his breaking culture. I'm just curious what you've seen to suggest that.

Can I ask why you think Purdue's coach and his staff are over their head? I don't get that at all. They are already showing they will probably out recruit Brohm. They've seemingly fixed his breaking culture. I'm just curious what you've seen to suggest that.
Never been a head coach a day in his life before this job. I hope he does well and kills it but in the early days of the Power 2. You don't hire a coordinator to run your program when your competition consists of Harbaugh, Chip Kelly, Ryan Day, James Franklin, and Lincoln Riley. Maybe I'm wrong and he's Kirby Smart but I get the feeling he's much more likely to be Chris Ash.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Brohm took Purdue to a bowl game 4 out of the 6 seasons he was coach. 2021 and 2022 were his best years, including a west division title. He appeared to be a very good offensive play caller and knew how to find players to fit his system. From an outside observer, that doesn't seem easy to replace. I'd be curious to know what sort of issues (if any, other than replacing seniors) the team was having when he left and why the new coach could or will be better (honest question).

Reactions: BleedRed78
4-8

Not because I don't believe in Rhule, but look at his track record. He never starts out great. I also haven't been a kool aid drinker for the last 9 years
I would agree his first year is rough. I am bracing for a losing record but hope he has the pieces in place to do better.

His college coaching track record and recruiting efforts are what have me excited.

Never been a head coach a day in his life before this job. I hope he does well and kills it but in the early days of the Power 2. You don't hire a coordinator to run your program when your competition consists of Harbaugh, Chip Kelly, Ryan Day, James Franklin, and Lincoln Riley. Maybe I'm wrong and he's Kirby Smart but I get the feeling he's much more likely to be Chris Ash.
There is nothing to suggest he is Chris ash though? Plus he got a talented OC to go with his defense. And he's not trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by forcing the run. He's sticking to what Purdue is known for. QB's and passing. His staff is better than what Brohm had last year imo. I think he will be good. But it's hard to say atm.

Brohm took Purdue to a bowl game 4 out of the 6 seasons he was coach. 2021 and 2022 were his best years, including a west division title. He appeared to be a very good offensive play caller and knew how to find players to fit his system. From an outside observer, that doesn't seem easy to replace. I'd be curious to know what sort of issues (if any, other than replacing seniors) the team was having when he left and why the new coach could or will be better (honest question).
Apparently he pissed a lot of the locker room off late in the year and no one like his brother Greg either. Purdue reporters were reporting a mass exodus of players heading to the portal, but most stuck around once he left. Idk all the details. I think his family had made it clear for a couple years they were going to Louisville asap and that pissed a lot of people off. There was other stuff reported as well, but behind a pay wall so don't want to mention to much and take away from the reporters. Shame, because he rebuilt Purdue football.

Notice not many guys went to Louisville, but 3 dlineman went to auburn, usc, and Miami as grad transfers while Brohm and their Dline coach went to Louisville.

I believe the ceiling this year is higher under walters than Brohm. As in, I think walters goes 6-6, but Brohm missed a bowl. That's my opinion though. So far, Walters is doing well. He also got two top 100 WR's from Fort Wayne on campus multiple times. Brohm couldn't get them on campus once. It's been reported Walters has been a breath of fresh air throughout the program. The longer we go, the more we see and learn, the more I love the hire. He also just flipped a QB from Texas that was committed to TCU.

Reactions: king_kong_
Apparently he pissed a lot of the locker room off late in the year and no one like his brother Greg either. Purdue reporters were reporting a mass exodus of players heading to the portal, but most stuck around once he left. Idk all the details. I think his family had made it clear for a couple years they were going to Louisville asap and that pissed a lot of people off. There was other stuff reported as well, but behind a pay wall so don't want to mention to much and take away from the reporters. Shame, because he rebuilt Purdue football.

Notice not many guys went to Louisville, but 3 dlineman went to auburn, usc, and Miami as grad transfers while Brohm and their Dline coach went to Louisville.

I believe the ceiling this year is higher under walters than Brohm. As in, I think walters goes 6-6, but Brohm missed a bowl. That's my opinion though. So far, Walters is doing well. He also got two top 100 WR's from Fort Wayne on campus multiple times. Brohm couldn't get them on campus once. It's been reported Walters has been a breath of fresh air throughout the program.
what is it with coaches' family members in this conference?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT