ADVERTISEMENT

Very early season prediction thread

The recent news that Casey Thompson is good to go for the spring raises my hopes immeasurably. Casey transitioned into a new program/OC remarkably well last year and that gives me optimism he can do it again this year. He may or may not emerge as QB #1 but I think he'll help us get to at least 6 wins and a bowl game next season.

IMO, starting off the season 2-0 would go a very long way in instilling buy-in and confidence in this team.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Okay, so I am bored and I was looking at the schedule and guessing at what this season might be like. So I thought what the heck, why not start a prediction thread?
So many factors to consider. QB play. Offensive line improvement. Linebacker improvement. Better pass rush... So here goes:

@Minnesota: Loss. The Rhule era gets off to a rocky start. If this was not our first game and were it not on the road I would pencil this in the win column.
@CU: On the road and tons of fans will be in the stands with high emotion to see Deion's first game as coach. But we find a way to win.
Northern Illinois: A win. It better be and it will be. Rhule is not Mike Riley
La Tech: Same as above. No more Georgia Southerns. Rhule is not Scott Frost
Michigan: Loss. The talent gap is still too large.
@Illinois: Win. We should have beaten these turds last year.
Northwestern: Win. The Fitzgerald magic has worn off.
Purdue: Win. By this point in the season there will be momentum. Home game. We beat these guys.
@MSU: Win. MSU was really bad last year. Of course, so were we. But we always play very competitively against these guys. A solid road win
Maryland: Win. Home game and riding a four game win streak.
@Wisconsin: Win. I am tempted to predict a loss here. Mainly because Wisconsin has had our number since we joined the conference. I think we get some revenge here.
Iowa: WIN!!! And it won't be close this year.

As you can see, I am drinking the Rhule-Aid. I really think we are going to be a much improved team this year. And other than Michigan, there is not another team on our schedule that has more talent than we do. That is why I see a regular season at 10-2 with a trip to Indianapolis. Am I dreaming? Am I full of shit?
We are not loosing to the human penis fleck again.

I predict that on the eve of fall camp Trev will announce that we're cancelling the regular season. Turns out we're just better at the offseason so why not go with it?

Actual prediction? Who the F knows?

Kaliakmanis is an obvious upgrade over Morgan unfortunately.
Totally agree and they are brought in three players from Western Michigan, Sean Taylor RB and Corey Crooms WR, Ryan Selig LB all 3•..

Kaliakmanis was injured in the Pinstripe bowl and didn’t return, never heard what the injury was..

Reactions: mgbreis
If so, what are the odds Harbaugh develops "health challenges" and resigns at the end of the year. A La Urban in Gainesville
I think it's pretty clear he's got one foot out the door

their recruiting class this year, coming off back to back playoff births, is a joke

also their co-OC being dragged out of the football offices for some sort of digital crimes is something nobody talks about but absolutely happened and he's no longer there after coming in and putting together a pretty good offensive season last year

If so, what are the odds Harbaugh develops "health challenges" and resigns at the end of the year. A La Urban in Gainesville
Dude, haven't you seen him with his shirt off playing catch with the boys? He's in tip-top physical condition!

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
I have no idea what the record will be in 2023 but I expect Nebraska to be in every game and that includes Mich. I do expect Nebraska to eclipse seven wins but by how much I'm not sure. Nebraska's cupboard is hardly bare, with the new additions and returning players under a new and much improved staff Nebraska will start the process of turning this program into a winner again. Things have got to change and it might as well be in 2023. jmo and GBR!

Last edited:
I Love all the predictions and am cautiously optimistic that we can hit that 9-10 win range... for me, it all starts on that OL... regardless on who starts at QB, if they're not running for their life and if the line can open some lanes for the RB's then yes... this could be a GREAT season! It ALL starts there!

In regards to losing to Minnesota in that first game I would recommend to those that mark this down as a loss to take look at Minnesota's past record of first games. The one thing that concerns me in 2023 is our new OC and how long will it take the offense to adjust to his teaching. I know it took South Carolina quite some time to adjust, lets hope that's not the case for Nebraska.

In regards to losing to Minnesota in that first game I would recommend to those that mark this down as a loss to take look at Minnesota's past record of first games. The one thing that concerns me in 2023 is our new OC and how long will it take the offense to adjust to his teaching. I know it took South Carolina quite some time to adjust, lets hope that's not the case for Nebraska.
Agree, I do believe Minnesota will have a new offensive coordinator as well..

Reactions: BleedRed78
It's going to be hard to predict IMO. I doubt Rhule has ever had a roster like this in his first year. But Minnesota is always solid and physical.

I'm not sure I would base anything on first games. They played OSU pretty close and I think got beat by Michigan covid year. SDSU would be a tough opener for a lot of teams.

If we don’t win 10 games next year - this is why

FqGneBjXsAATKuF

Minn - Tough Win but we get it done
Colorado - Start fast and buffs close the gap to make it look closer than what it actually was.
N Illinois - dub
La Tech - dub
Mich - high hopes and rated 25. lose by 17
Illinois - dog fight, end up winning by 3
NW - dub, bowl bound baby. drink 750 of jack to celebrate. wife isn't too happy
Purdue - another win, keep em rollling baby!
Mich St loss- WTF kind of day
Maryland loss, offensive line has one of those 'what is blocking?' kind of days
Wisconsin loss, they have our number. still have 300 rushing in an air raid offense
Iowa - DUB, why because f**k iowa that's why

8-4

Reactions: leodisflowers
I have no clue, and the first year is tough to predict. But, on paper we should have at least 7 wins if our coaching is decent.

Let's look at it this way... many of these teams on the schedule are full of their own question marks... only Minn & Mich are what I'd consider complete teams with their crap together...

2022:
Minn - Outside of MU this is the most complete team

CU - New coach, lots of changes - the Deon effect is Unknown

N Ill - a Should win school

LaTech - A Should win school

MU - Obviously a Powerhouse who has their crap together (Huskers did give them a scare 2 years ago)

ILL - Lost their DC which was a highlight for them, had things coming together in 22 but shot themselves in the foot... how do they rebound is the question

NW - a mess, Fitz is trying to rebuild "something"

Purdue - entire new coaching staff and philosophy... I think they can come together but still there's ???

MSU - Is Tucker a one trick pony or can he do it again with transfers?

MU - They hold their own in the next tier down of the B1G (Rutgers/Indiana/NW/etc) but can they be more?

Wisconsin - Going through both a coaching change and a system change, that doesn't happen over night even with Fickell

Iowa - OC is in a must win situation to keep the job, they have a stupid easy schedule this year but ISU/PENN could hammer them pretty good... throw in some tough games with PU/Minn/Wisky and it could all be falling apart before they make the trip to Lincoln...

If Nebraska can come together the way it appears they are, this could be a very good year considering the oppositions troubles/challenges

michigan will be a 4-loss team this year
Anything is possible, but they have another weak OOC schedule and out of the west they draw @nebraska, @Minnesota, and Purdue at home.

East: Besides @PSU and home against OSU, their hardest game is either @Maryland or @Michigan State and losing one of those last two would be hilarious.

Or as someone else said they don't play anyone until November 11 (PSU) anything less than 10 wins would be a disaster for them.

And I'm here for it :D

I Love all the predictions and am cautiously optimistic that we can hit that 9-10 win range... for me, it all starts on that OL... regardless on who starts at QB, if they're not running for their life and if the line can open some lanes for the RB's then yes... this could be a GREAT season! It ALL starts there!
In theory, losing only Hixson (forget any other OL losses) but returning Nouilli and adding Scott has to represent an upgrade. Will that turn them from crappy to subpar, or from crappy to average? Who knows.

In regards to losing to Minnesota in that first game I would recommend to those that mark this down as a loss to take look at Minnesota's past record of first games. The one thing that concerns me in 2023 is our new OC and how long will it take the offense to adjust to his teaching. I know it took South Carolina quite some time to adjust, let’s hope that's not the case for Nebraska.
Great point

I think I read something somewhere that we’ve had two coaches begin their NU tenures with games @ minnesota (crazy)?

And that they went 0-2 in those. One was Jennings, not sure the other or if it’s even true frankly

Something’s gotta give!

Great point

I think I read something somewhere that we’ve had two coaches begin their NU tenures with games @ minnesota (crazy)?

And that they went 0-2 in those. One was Jennings, not sure the other or if it’s even true frankly

Something’s gotta give!
1943 Lewandowski lost in Minneapolis, and in 1946 Masterson lost the season opener

Holy cripes I’m old but give me a break but I wasn’t even born when this happened..

Show you how long our rivalry has been with the Gophers..

Longest in our conference. That’s why a want to play them every year than Wisky..

Reactions: king_kong_
That schedule is really soft. I like that we are playing Colorado. I get the worries with a big ten opponent first but we are a big ten opponent for them, and its minnesota not wisconsin.

I’ll get heat for this, but i dont know how you can look at that schedule and not think anything less than 8 wins is a failure in Rhules first year. If he’s as good as everyone thinks he is, and he did bring in a lot of new talent, but even with our old talent, 8 wins should be the minimum.

Michigan only guaranteed loss, and they will be down this year from where they were
maryland wisconsin next level of acceptable losses, and wisky in transition year with new coach and new scheme after a disappointing season and we easily should have beat them and would have with rhule
iowa minny toss ups and im being kind to iowa

Thats really only five games we could lose and i dont think we lose five. I think 3 or less honestly.
Health matters of course.

Theres no way we didnt hit rock bottom last year, and we still beat iowa and shoulda beat more teams.

That schedule is really soft. I like that we are playing Colorado. I get the worries with a big ten opponent first but we are a big ten opponent for them, and its minnesota not wisconsin.

I’ll get heat for this, but i dont know how you can look at that schedule and not think anything less than 8 wins is a failure in Rhules first year. If he’s as good as everyone thinks he is, and he did bring in a lot of new talent, but even with our old talent, 8 wins should be the minimum.

Michigan only guaranteed loss, and they will be down this year from where they were
maryland wisconsin next level of acceptable losses, and wisky in transition year with new coach and new scheme after a disappointing season and we easily should have beat them and would have with rhule

Thats really only five games we could lose and i dont think we lose five. I think 3 or less honestly.

Theres no way we didnt hit rock bottom last year, and we still beat iowa and shoulda beat more teams.
Some of us made excuses for Scott Frost in his first year. They blamed his failures on the previous staff. However, if he was as good as advertised, he should have been able to improve upon the 4-8 record of the previous year.

No excuses, just get the job done.

Agree with all of this. NU should go 8-4 this year barring any injuries.

A win over Minnesota or CU could be a real tone-setter. Especially the latter which will have national attention.

Callahan, Riley and Frost all had losing seasons in their first years. I don’t expect Rhule to do the same.

Rhules first year should really turn out like Pelini’s first year ..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT