ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Smith gone/leaving

I thought I heard he would be a good one in the future. Wonder what happened.

So much for Cam Jones and CJ Smith being our future starting safeties. Neither lasted more than a year here.

Sounded like Cam didn't want to work. Maybe early indication was that CJ was going to get left behind due to the incoming freshman.

Reactions: DeadRed402
Wonder if they saw this coming with Eric Lee spending a lot of time at safety this spring.

What the hell?!?

This sucks. Looks like we may not be getting away from our long standing tradition of having our highest rated recruits fail to pan out.

That trend has to stop before our rebuild can really take hold.

What the hell?!?

This sucks. Looks like we may not be getting away from our long standing tradition of having our highest rated recruits fail to pan out.

That trend has to stop before our rebuild can really take hold.

maybe recruiting rankings are meaningless? just a thought

Reactions: E.RogerCoswell
So reading this news and also reading thru the thread of the Mo Washington saga begs me to ask, is "Player XYZ announcing he will be entering the transfer portal" the new football speak for what use to be "dismissed from the team for violating team/school policy" ? If it is, appears to allow both parties to walk away without the drama. The timing of this is perplexing if that is not the case.
GBR!

Given our recent history of sucking, I’d rather have the highest rated players stick around.

it's not like they're superstars when they leave. these guys probably just outright suck to start but have good measurables. it's why they're buried on the depth chart from day 1.

star rankings deserve a gigantic grain of salt imo

Reactions: E.RogerCoswell
Sounded like Cam didn't want to work. Maybe early indication was that CJ was going to get left behind due to the incoming freshman.

Now how would he know the freshmen that have not even seen the field are going to get ahead of him?

it's not like they're superstars when they leave. these guys probably just outright suck to start but have good measurables. it's why they're buried on the depth chart from day 1.

star rankings deserve a gigantic grain of salt imo
Every champ since recruiting rankings have mattered have consistently had top 15 classes before winning or top 25 with cam newton or Deshaun Watson. I'm gonna go ahead and keep hoping for highly ranked classes.

Since no team without more than half of their roster scholarship players consisting of 4 and 5 star players has won a national championship in nearly 15 years I’m going to disagree.

Would it happen of Saban wasn’t at Bama?

Didn't Eric Lee move over to Safety and has done well? I don't feel so great about anyone he has passed over.

Reactions: jeans15
Since no team without more than half of their roster scholarship players consisting of 4 and 5 star players has won a national championship in nearly 15 years I’m going to disagree.

when it's half your roster, fine. when it's 1 or 2, it's a crapshoot

Reactions: jlb321
I find it interesting that there’s a number of players that haven’t signed by another school, from what I understand the school there leaving from doesn’t have to take them back, some of these kid could possibly screwing them selves out of the scholarship to get a education

Reactions: bigredhunter
This doesnt need to devolve into a recruiting rankings debate but if you haven't accepted that you have to recruit at an elite level to win a title you're delusional. Especially with the playoff, no undermanned cinderella is going to beat Georgia then Clemson or Ohio state then Alabama. Get great classes or have zero chance.

Koch Brothers private school HS grad from Palm Beach Cty. Probably heading home.

Nope they don't guarantee one, just guarantee that without top 15 classes you won't win one. Kind of like, playing the lottery doesn't guarantee you will win, but not playing the lottery guarantees you won't win.

Hey Tuco, how are ya ya sumbitch?

it's almost as if they view an education as secondary Smokin
Anyone promoting paying players is essentially saying the same thing. Even though these student athletes walk out of college debt free with a college education, apparently $80,000+ is not enough reward.

I don’t pay any attention to the particulars of roster management at Bama/Clemson, but did the math on Bama’s last four years of commits, which numbers 100. Kids that don’t do the work either on the field or the classroom are processed out of the program.
Service ratings are imperfect. Not every kid who projects high is going to work out.

Reactions: TheBeav815
I don’t pay any attention to the particulars of roster management at Bama/Clemson, but did the math on Bama’s last four years of commits, which numbers 100. Kids that don’t do the work either on the field or the classroom are processed out of the program.
Service ratings are imperfect. Not every kid who projects high is going to work out.
The difference with Bama is, they replace one 4-5 star bust with another 4-5 star.

Reactions: TheBeav815
This is why you over recruit because there is always going to be unforeseen attrition. I'm sure there will be some more attrition right on through the end of Fall camp. That's just a part of football these days. Always keep recruiting and over signing as much as you can. Saban has been doing it for years at Alabama.

Room for another grad transfer now IF they could find someone they like to help them.

One of the biggest mistakes Riley made was NOT to over recruit and then his roster would fall below full scholarship strength with the attrition.

This is why you over recruit because there is always going to be unforeseen attrition. I'm sure there will be some more attrition right on through the end of Fall camp. That's just a part of football these days. Always keep recruiting and over signing as much as you can. Saban has been doing it for years at Alabama.

Room for another grad transfer now IF they could find someone they like to help them.

One of the biggest mistakes Riley made was NOT to over recruit and then his roster would fall below full scholarship strength with the attrition.

I think that we can only take one more transfer this year due to the limits on our class size. That scholarship could go to a walk-on though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT