ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Smith gone/leaving

At this point I think I would use it for a deserving walk on or roll it. Not much out there at this stage for immediate impact

Another scholarship open. NU may yet get north of 22 spots for the next class.
Trying to spin it as a positive that it opens up another spot doesn't change the fact that a lot of the guys who are leaving were our top recruits. I'd rather take a high 3 star who we know has the right kind of attitude than a 4 star kid with questionable character or can't get their academics in order.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Nope they don't guarantee one, just guarantee that without top 15 classes you won't win one. Kind of like, playing the lottery doesn't guarantee you will win, but not playing the lottery guarantees you won't win.
No it doesn't guarantee that. There have been teams that haven't had a top 15 class that have made the playoffs.

This is why you over recruit because there is always going to be unforeseen attrition. I'm sure there will be some more attrition right on through the end of Fall camp. That's just a part of football these days. Always keep recruiting and over signing as much as you can. Saban has been doing it for years at Alabama.

Room for another grad transfer now IF they could find someone they like to help them.

One of the biggest mistakes Riley made was NOT to over recruit and then his roster would fall below full scholarship strength with the attrition.
Since the O-line seems to be the weakest link. I would love to see us snag an experienced guy there.

Trying to spin it as a positive that it opens up another spot doesn't change the fact that a lot of the guys who are leaving were our top recruits. I'd rather take a high 3 star who we know has the right kind of attitude than a 4 star kid with questionable character or can't get their academics in order.

Smith was a high 3* and Jones a low 4*, which is basically the same as a high 3*, so I don't know what your point is there.

Smith isn't even healthy and sat out all spring. He was probably going to get passed up.

They also threw that class together in two months. To not expect some attrition would be naive to say the least.

Smith was a high 3* and Jones a low 4*, which is basically the same as a high 3*, so I don't know what your point is there.

Smith isn't even healthy and sat out all spring. He was probably going to get passed up.

They also threw that class together in two months. To not expect some attrition would be naive to say the least.
It doesn't help that they play the same position, one that was very weak last year even with 3 seniors. But no I think it's great that we're relying on a senior who hasn't done anything since he's been here and a true freshman to provide us depth at the safety position.

Reactions: Bold Words
No it doesn't guarantee that. There have been teams that haven't had a top 15 class that have made the playoffs.

Since the playoff system was initiated teams with a roster ratio that is less than 50% 4-5*s are 2-6 in playoff games. 1 of those wins was when 2 sub 50% teams played each other. So a sub 50% team has only beaten a 50%+ team once in the entirety of the playoff system. Of those 6 losses, 4 of them have been by 3 scores or more. That MSU team that was referenced lost 38-0 to Alabama.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBeav815

There’s something to be said about this notion.

You would just replace Bama with the team Saban was coaching. Still doesn't disprove the point that you need top rated classes to win titles

They certainly don’t guarantee the one.

Ostarine is what you need...

Nope they don't guarantee one, just guarantee that without top 15 classes you won't win one. Kind of like, playing the lottery doesn't guarantee you will win, but not playing the lottery guarantees you won't win.

My conversatiom was about WINNING titles, not getting your ass kicked in the semi finals. Once again, in an attempt to refute my post, you move the goal posts.

My conversatiom was about WINNING titles, not getting your ass kicked in the semi finals. Once again, in an attempt to refute my post, you move the goal posts.
Clemson, Alabama, and Ohio State have won all of the college football playoffs. Does that mean no other team will ever have a shot? Nobody was giving the Raptors much of a chance and they're up 2-1 right now over the Warriors. Make the playoffs and we have a shot. Especially if we have great qb play like we'll get from Martinez. And there's already been a couple teams that have proven you don't need to have top 15 classes to make the playoffs.

is 'a 4 star kid with questionable character or can't get their academics in order' really a top recruit?

these kids aren't leaving because they're atop the depth chart. they can't cut it & think quitting is their best plan.

I say adios, don't let the door hit you on the way out

is 'a 4 star kid with questionable character or can't get their academics in order' really a top recruit?

these kids aren't leaving because they're atop the depth chart. they can't cut it & think quitting is their best plan.

I say adios, don't let the door hit you on the way out
Cam Jones was one of our top recruits. CJ Smith was the brother of one of Frost's best players at UCF. When they were recruited, I think most people were expecting they would be solid contributors at a position of need. Those type of players leaving after their true freshman season isn't a good thing.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Cam Jones was one of our top recruits. CJ Smith was the brother of one of Frost's best players at UCF. When they were recruited, I think most people were expecting they would be solid contributors at a position of need. Those type of players leaving after their true freshman season isn't a good thing.

'top recruits' not being able to crack the 2-deep on this very shallow roster tells me perhaps should take this on paper stuff with a grain of salt

if you're a good player, you play. if you're not, you get buried on the depth chart and transfer.

I doubt either of these two, or every other transfer for that matter, comes back to haunt us

Jones ended up at SMU,that should tell us something.

Jones ended up at SMU,that should tell us something.
Cam decided to play at home. Probably wasn’t going to crack the 2 deep in Lincoln for another two years at best. Lee moving over and the addition of NPG and Farmer made the decision easy.

'top recruits' not being able to crack the 2-deep on this very shallow roster tells me perhaps should take this on paper stuff with a grain of salt

if you're a good player, you play. if you're not, you get buried on the depth chart and transfer.

I doubt either of these two, or every other transfer for that matter, comes back to haunt us
They were true freshman last year. If they aren't able to get on the 2-deep in their true freshman year, I'm ok with that. Maybe they were overrated coming in, but I don't think it's a good thing that what a lot of people thought were some of our most talented recruits coming in are leaving.

Cam decided to play at home. Probably wasn’t going to crack the 2 deep in Lincoln for another two years at best. Lee moving over and the addition of NPG and Farmer made the decision easy.
Wasn't NPG expected to play at corner before two of the safeties transferred? And what has Lee done since he's been here? Dismuke certainly isn't proven either. I don't know how good they really are, but if Cam Jones or CJ Smith lived up to the hype they had coming in, they would have been in for a lot of playing time in the next couple of years.

Clemson, Alabama, and Ohio State have won all of the college football playoffs. Does that mean no other team will ever have a shot? Nobody was giving the Raptors much of a chance and they're up 2-1 right now over the Warriors. Make the playoffs and we have a shot. Especially if we have great qb play like we'll get from Martinez. And there's already been a couple teams that have proven you don't need to have top 15 classes to make the playoffs.

LSU
USC
Texas
Florida
LSU
Florida
Alabama
Auburn
Alabama
Alabama
Florida St
Ohio St
Alabama
Clemson
Alabama
Clemson

Don't care about the NBA playoffs, you have a salary cap and all sorts of other restrictions that are designed to even the playing field.

You can wish and hope to be the exception to the rule all you want, but the fact is that in Division 1, Power 5, football, you simply need to have a steady run of Top 15 or better recruiting classes to win a national title.

Reactions: jeans15
Looks like UDub had one top 20 finish in the 5 years before their CFP appearance, per Rivals: 21,18, 36, 30, MSU 37, 31, 41, 40, 22, 22.

Petersen is solid, but I'd take Frost in the "long-term."

GBR

They were true freshman last year. If they aren't able to get on the 2-deep in their true freshman year, I'm ok with that. Maybe they were overrated coming in, but I don't think it's a good thing that what a lot of people thought were some of our most talented recruits coming in are leaving.

Disagree. Flip the roster. Addition by subtraction. GBR

Reactions: Top_Gun_
Looks like UDub had one top 20 finish in the 5 years before their CFP appearance, per Rivals: 21,18, 36, 30, MSU 37, 31, 41, 40, 22, 22.

Yes and the combined score of the 2 playoff games that involved MSU and UW when they played teams that recruited at a high level was 62-7. Neither team belonged on the field.

Reactions: jeans15
Yes and the combined score of the 2 playoff games that involved MSU and UW when they played teams that recruited at a high level was 62-7. Neither team belonged on the field.

So you wouldn't want Nebraska to be playing in these games, in the first place?

Lol.

Still arrogant, Husker fans. I like that about us. We expect excellence.

So you wouldn't want Nebraska to be playing in these games, in the first place?

Lol.

Still arrogant, Husker fans. I like that about us. We expect excellence.

It has ZERO to do with anyone wanting Nebraska to play in those games.

It is a documented fact that the teams who won the title had top 15 classes. There were only a few exceptions, I believe 4, where teams didn't have top 15 classes and got into the playoff. In those few occasions, the team that didn't have top 15 classes got boat raced. With the lone time that both teams didn't have top 15 classes, played each other.

It has ZERO to do with anyone wanting Nebraska to play in those games.

It is a documented fact that the teams who won the title had top 15 classes. There were only a few exceptions, I believe 4, where teams didn't have top 15 classes and got into the playoff. In those few occasions, the team that didn't have top 15 classes got boat raced. With the lone time that both teams didn't have top 15 classes, played each other.

HTO?

LSU
USC
Texas
Florida
LSU
Florida
Alabama
Auburn
Alabama
Alabama
Florida St
Ohio St
Alabama
Clemson
Alabama
Clemson

Don't care about the NBA playoffs, you have a salary cap and all sorts of other restrictions that are designed to even the playing field.

You can wish and hope to be the exception to the rule all you want, but the fact is that in Division 1, Power 5, football, you simply need to have a steady run of Top 15 or better recruiting classes to win a national title.
We won 5 national championships being the exception to the rule, so I'm ok with that.

Reactions: SoFL Husker
LSU
USC
Texas
Florida
LSU
Florida
Alabama
Auburn
Alabama
Alabama
Florida St
Ohio St
Alabama
Clemson
Alabama
Clemson

College football has been around a lot longer than 16 years. What were the recruiting rankings before then?

Reactions: SoFL Husker
We won 5 national championships being the exception to the rule, so I'm ok with that.

Times change. Nebraska only one 1 of those 5 titles when they had to win a conference title game, and zero of those titles when they had to win a conference title game, then beat two more teams that are in the top 4. And by the way those semi final games against teams who happen to be loaded with top 15 talent.

College football has been around a lot longer than 16 years. What were the recruiting rankings before then?

Times change. Nebraska only one 1 of those 5 titles when they had to win a conference title game, and zero of those titles when they had to win a conference title game, then beat two more teams that are in the top 4. And by the way those semi final games against teams who happen to be loaded with top 15 talent.

That doesn't even address the difference in the offensive systems run by Osborne and Frost. Frost's offense is 95% based on speed and having talented athletes.

Boom Tuco. Oldjar has spoken.

We don't need these recruiting classes. We need Frost like we needed Osborne.

System HCs with OC backgrounds that CANT BE STOPPED!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT