ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 expanding again?

andy staples put that chart together, not me. i suppose he was valuing football programs with some recency just as the wall street journal was equating value to cash flow. argue as you choose. it was not my data in either case.
You seem to be using the data to try and win an argument..... Are you now backtracking off your original argument?

You seem to be using the data to try and win an argument..... Are you now backtracking off your original argument?
the data you speak of are a group of facts which i had nothing to do with other than posting them here. what comes of the this, conferences and the like, i really don't have a clue.

the data you speak of are a group of facts which i had nothing to do with other than posting them here. what comes of the this, conferences and the like, i really don't have a clue.
You called out the "fellow from phx" for saying Kstate would be left out. You then provided some clearly meaningless data. Followed by a meaningless list that is also clearly wrong. And now you act like you don't care. And you wonder why people don't want you here...

You called out the "fellow from phx" for saying Kstate would be left out. You then provided some clearly meaningless data. Followed by a meaningless list that is also clearly wrong. And now you act like you don't care. And you wonder why people don't want you here...
actually, i said from my m&a background/perspective that phx's take was kind weird and senseless. no one argued that take but rather went all ad hominem even though i presented some facts and rationale from the wsj and andy staples. of course the journal has always been considered a senseless publication from a financial perspective, right?

Last edited:
If I knew the desired #, I could come up with a list assuming it's going to be $ec and b1g and invited few.

Are there some current $ec and b1g teams that would get left out if they weren't in their current conference? Absolutely. Will they? Highly unlikely.

This next and perhaps final checkmate move will all be about future potential. This is about more $ divided amongst fewer members. Right now we're (b1g schools) are hovering around 100 million from tv rights. I think that's about to double with this next move due to leverage.

That's going to come with guaranteed decent competition weekly from the member schools and not scheduling non conference games against Jackie Jr high or sister Mary's school of the blind.

With that comes more games whose fees will increase which we won't like and from the next tier of schools getting less.

There's currently 34 members under the UMBRELLA. Where do we go from here? What's the desired conference #? 36, 40, 42, 48 or 50? Imo, no way more than 50. Most logical would be 40 -48.

The big dogs from the pac and big 12 have already left and have taken their seats at the table. What's left is ND and the ACC schools that previously thought they couldn't get out...Miami, fsu, Clemson for sure. That would make 38. 2 more or 10 more after that?? I think 2 because after 2 I think the additions thin down the mix. There's a chart intersection point somewhere where profits curve from elevating to flat and then downward. The desired spot is prior to flattening curve where addition brings in less per member.

they are looking at the balance sheet and cash flow statements and making judgements mostly by discounting the cash flow to arrive at program values.

simply put, if an enterprise is making $100 in margin v. one making $10, then the former is more valuable regardless how much revenue each is generating.

so how much would i have to bank to generate $100 interest at 5% v. $10 at the same rate. obviously, the former ($2000) is worth more than the latter ($200) if one is valuing cash generation in determining the value of each.

people in m&a do this all the time. generally, people argue about the discount rate. it's one measure of value.
How do you get the financial statements of private universities? We can't even get the salary of their coaches?

How do you get the financial statements of private universities? We can't even get the salary of their coaches?
there are only two private school on this wsj list. i suspect they were asked and gave their financials for this purpose.

Brewer's study calculates what a college team would be worth on the open market if it could be bought and sold like a professional sports franchise. Brewer analyzes each program's revenues and expenses along with cash-flow adjustments, risk assessments and growth projections.
Jan 7, 2019

GHC3n3BasAIir-H

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
If I knew the desired #, I could come up with a list assuming it's going to be $ec and b1g and invited few.

Are there some current $ec and b1g teams that would get left out if they weren't in their current conference? Absolutely. Will they? Highly unlikely.

This next and perhaps final checkmate move will all be about future potential. This is about more $ divided amongst fewer members. Right now we're (b1g schools) are hovering around 100 million from tv rights. I think that's about to double with this next move due to leverage.

That's going to come with guaranteed decent competition weekly from the member schools and not scheduling non conference games against Jackie Jr high or sister Mary's school of the blind.

With that comes more games whose fees will increase which we won't like and from the next tier of schools getting less.

There's currently 34 members under the UMBRELLA. Where do we go from here? What's the desired conference #? 36, 40, 42, 48 or 50? Imo, no way more than 50. Most logical would be 40 -48.

The big dogs from the pac and big 12 have already left and have taken their seats at the table. What's left is ND and the ACC schools that previously thought they couldn't get out...Miami, fsu, Clemson for sure. That would make 38. 2 more or 10 more after that?? I think 2 because after 2 I think the additions thin down the mix. There's a chart intersection point somewhere where profits curve from elevating to flat and then downward. The desired spot is prior to flattening curve where addition brings in less per member.
The point I was trying to make is that if the desired number is 48 as shown on Andy Staples' list and if all the SEC and Big Ten teams are included, small potato schools like Texas Tech and Kansas State won't make the cut.

Reactions: Huskers123456
The point I was trying to make is that if the desired number is 48 as shown on Andy Staples' list and if all the SEC and Big Ten teams are included, small potato schools like Texas Tech and Kansas State won't make the cut.
actually, the point is trying to understand the definition of your "small potato," as i've already established that financially that's simply not true at least as measured by the wsj.

also, if one were to look at preseason rankings or last season's final cfp, your small potatoes would actually be quite large.

Last edited:
actually, the point is trying to understand the definition of your "small potato," as i've already established that financially that's simply not true at least as measured by the wsj.

also, if one were to look at preseason rankings or last season's final cfp, your small potatoes would actually be quite large.
K-State is a small potato school to most people living outside of Kansas. Sorry.

Reactions: Huskers123456
K-State is a small potato school to most people living outside of Kansas. Sorry.
again, i ask how you're measuring that other than by personal bias because both from a performance and financial comparison to its peers, your take is a false narrative.

again, i ask how you're measuring that other than by personal bias because both from a performance and financial comparison to its peers, your take is a false narrative.
Small potato in that 2 different conferences that KSU borders have expanded recently and didnt look at KSU. The Big 10 3 times and the SEC twice. The PAC also wasn't interested, despite taking a school from a bordering state. 6 different expansions and no one was interested in KSU. That is how you measure how other people view you. Not by meaningless metrics or random writers.

Reactions: phoenix4nu
Small potato in that 2 different conferences that KSU borders have expanded recently and didnt look at KSU. The Big 10 3 times and the SEC twice. The PAC also wasn't interested, despite taking a school from a bordering state. 6 different expansions and no one was interested in KSU. That is how you measure how other people view you. Not by meaningless metrics or random writers.
reasonable take.

there are only two private school on this wsj list. i suspect they were asked and gave their financials for this purpose.

Brewer's study calculates what a college team would be worth on the open market if it could be bought and sold like a professional sports franchise. Brewer analyzes each program's revenues and expenses along with cash-flow adjustments, risk assessments and growth projections.Jan 7, 2019

GHC3n3BasAIir-H
I think there are five private schools on here.

Just like most valuation analyses, you would need to get the underlying assumptions, methodology, etc. to see if this is reasonable. That's the starting point of understanding any of this. What are the cash flow adjustments, risk assessments, growth projections based on? How many years of data were analyzed and how far out were the projections? These seem like they could be pretty subjective. It's probably not a totally inaccurate list but definitely open to questions.

Alabama and Georgia are clearly excellent at the top of the SEC. I am not enamored with the rest of them.
LSU has done some good things, but after the Top 3 there is a middle of the Pack just like the B1G.

Sadly, Nebraska is one of the 5 Blue Bloods, but definitely are not in the Top 3.

You can say SEC is the best Football conference all you want, but at the end of the day B1G has just as good if not better teams. If you say otherwise you are a Homer

Ohio State
Nebraska
Michigan
Penn State
USC
Oregon
Washington

SEC has nothing on that, and I mean absolutely nothing. They are definitely comparable though with adding Texas and Oklahoma

Alabama
Georgia
LSU
Oklahoma
Texas
Florida
Tennessee

Reactions: huskerfan66
Georgia is obviously a powerhouse right now but they did nothing for the vast majority of my life. Tennessee is the same.

Georgia is obviously a powerhouse right now but they did nothing for the vast majority of my life. Tennessee is the same.
I believe I’m older than you and both Georgia and Tennessee fall right behind USC, Nebraska and Penn St in all time wins.

Realize LSU and Florida won a few more national titles the past 20 years but their still behind Georgia and Tennessee in all time wins.

I believe I’m older than you and both Georgia and Tennessee fall right behind USC, Nebraska and Penn St in all time wins.

Realize LSU and Florida won a few more national titles the past 20 years but their still behind Georgia and Tennessee in all time wins.
They basically did nothing from 1983-2016. I think they had a really good year in 2002. Bama was down for a chunk of that period too.

i see this morning that a pennsylvania congressman is calling for hearing about the state of the game, not nil or the portal, but how some members are trying to destroy it for greed's sake.

• Wow
Was talking this weekend with a friend one of my daughters who happens to be an aggies fan.....from temple tx. I told him I thought a&m might want to come to b1g. He said he agreed and that it is seriously talked about down there even more so now with uterus going to sec. Most fans want nothing to do with Texas and want to go to b1g

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT