ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 expanding again?

In a sport that literally prints money, exit fees....Just don't mean anything anymore. In my opinion , if the aggies want to join the big ten , the big ten would be foolish not to welcome them with open arms. My brother-in-law went to Texas A&M. And he's one of the smartest most successful kindest people I've ever met and he speaks very highly of this time there. That's good enough for me.

ATM would be a great add for the B1G. Steal one of the better teams in the SEC, making the SEC relatively worse and the B1G relatively better. The B1G would love to include the state of Texas under its national footprint. A passionate fan base that shows up for games.

If you could simply choose between Texas and ATM, you would probably choose Texas. But Longhorn arrogance has destroyed every conference in their history, so it’s probably fortunate the choice isn’t really there.
On what planet is aTm one of the SEC’s “better teams”?

TAM is not one of the better teams in the sec, what are people talking about??? In football they've finished 2nd in their division twice and 3rd once...that's the extent of their success.
Alabama and Georgia are clearly excellent at the top of the SEC. I am not enamored with the rest of them.

TAM is not one of the better teams in the sec, what are people talking about??? In football they've finished 2nd in their division twice and 3rd once...that's the extent of their success.
LOL, since when has conference expansion only been about playing the best football on the field? It's about who makes the bigger financial contribution to the conference. In this case Texas is a HUGE market with great viewership numbers, period. Texas, followed by A&M are the biggest players (financially) in that market.

LOL, since when has conference expansion only been about playing the best football on the field? It's about who makes the bigger financial contribution to the conference. In this case Texas is a HUGE market with great viewership numbers, period. Texas, followed by A&M are the biggest players (financially) in that market.
it's also about rationalization. perhaps a way here to kill the b12 or acc, idk? what's come of the collegiate game is just dumbfounding to me, killing the golden goose.

I agree. This is about maximizing $$. The rest will fall into place as far as competition. This coupled with NIL, not that it's going to remain the same, will draw the best talent to the schools at the top of the food chain. There will continue to be diamonds in the rough as there are today.

but ut is tied to the hip with 0u, so a&m seems the next best choice to have a texas footprint

but ut is tied to the hip with 0u, so a&m seems the next best choice to have a texas footprint
I'm not arguing for Texas BUT if we're honest, Texas is the bigger financial play of the two although for sure A&M is very big in its own right.

Reactions: redwine65
Hard to believe a school other then maybe Missouri would leave the SEC for the B1G. And although I detest the Longhorns, honestly they would have been the better fitting Texas school to join the B1G.
There was a time, not long ago, when Missouri would have considered leaving the SEC for the BIG. Not now. They are settled in and doing well. The SEC is exciting.
The Fans at A&M get blood red hateful every Saturday in the SEC. Rivals everywhere. Top programs and rabid fan bases in the South. An athletic director's dream. Too much boredom in the BIG. It would kill the excitement. Their fans would go to sleep. Lord knows, they don't need more money.

GH2dEyzXQAAIQ5d

Reactions: sparky62
There are a couple of underserving schools in there - Texas Tech and K-State being the most obvious. They won't make it ahead of Arizona and ASU.
K-State gets left out in every scenario. Best hope is that CFP-12 or CFP-14 sticks and there is no true separation of the SEC/B1G from the peasants.

K-State gets left out in every scenario. Best hope is that CFP-12 or CFP-14 sticks and there is no true separation of the SEC/B1G from the peasants.
There's going to be a P2. It's inevitable. What's left of the B12/P12/ACC will join the G5 to form the G8. K-State is on the outside looking in.

There should be a minimum of 64 major football programs competing at the top level

Even that seems like too few

I will never understand the desire to bastardize the game for money no fan will ever see a red cent of

There should be a minimum of 64 major football programs competing at the top level

Even that seems like too few

I will never understand the desire to bastardize the game for money no fan will ever see a red cent of
it makes the "winners" feel good to see their golden egg laying goose decapitated.

I don't see Pitt, okie light, t tech or k state making the cut. AZ schools more attractive. Questioning Utah as well

The above don't bring enough revenue. They water down the mix. Why would you want to take less

$EC schools will have a lot to say about who's in and who's out. I think b1g is only interested in ND +1

Potential B1G targets: ND, FSU, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia, Texas A&M, Stanford. They are probably not interested in anybody not on that list.

Virginia and Stanford are about academics and research. Their football value is that somebody has to lose games, and may be the hook to get UNC or ND.

Would this just be a football league? What do they do with basketball? Many of the best hoops schools are not in these conferences. Maybe still keep conferences for everything but football somehow? I would think that will piss off a lot of schools though who are not in the super league

KState but no KU, doubt it.
probably a recency reflection. ku has not beaten k-state the past 15-years and only four times in the last thirty years. so if this is about football, it's clear which school gets invited to the football-first conference. plus, this coming year and what follows with klieman in manhattan could be cfp special.

Neither should make it if there are 48 schools.
when i think about this from a commercial point of view, i wonder how we reach these conclusions? here i am looking down on the enterprise from an m&a perspective. this fellow from phx says neither belong. so we would take a couple hundred million in revenue - a half billion in value - and just dump it? phx says they don't belong because, well phx is just smarter than discounted cash flow. amazing.

GHC3n3BasAIir-H

when i think about this from a commercial point of view, i wonder how we reach these conclusions? here i am looking down on the enterprise from an m&a perspective. this fellow from phx says neither belong. so we would take a couple hundred million in revenue - a half billion in value - and just dump it? phx says they don't belong because, well phx is just smarter than discounted cash flow. amazing.

GHC3n3BasAIir-H
Good lord. What metric was used for that nonsense? Iowa ahead of Nebraska, Penn State, Wisconsin, Oregon, and Texas A&M?

GHC3n3BasAIir-H
I really don't understand how these values are calculated. How the heck would Iowa be ranked higher than Nebraska, Wisconsin, USC, Tennessee, Texas A&M, etc.?

I really don't understand how these values are calculated. How the heck would Iowa be ranked higher than Nebraska, Wisconsin, USC, Tennessee, Texas A&M, etc.?
they are looking at the balance sheet and cash flow statements and making judgements mostly by discounting the cash flow to arrive at program values.

simply put, if an enterprise is making $100 in margin v. one making $10, then the former is more valuable regardless how much revenue each is generating.

so how much would i have to bank to generate $100 interest at 5% v. $10 at the same rate. obviously, the former ($2000) is worth more than the latter ($200) if one is valuing cash generation in determining the value of each.

people in m&a do this all the time. generally, people argue about the discount rate. it's one measure of value.

Last edited:
they are looking at the balance sheet and cash flow statements and making judgements mostly by discounting the cash flow to arrive at program values.

simply put, if an enterprise is making $100 in margin v. one making $10, then the former is more valuable regardless how much revenue each is generating.

so how much would i have to bank to generate $100 interest at 5% v. $10 at the same rate. obviously, the former ($2000) is worth more than the latter ($200) if one is valuing cash generation in determining the value of each.

people in m&a do this all the time. it's one measure of value.
No one gives a shit about balance sheets for these super conferences. If they did UCLA would have been left out. Face it, Kstate is as middle of the country as you can get. Bordered multiple conferences at various stages. And you have never even been seriously mentioned as a candidate for any of these conferences. That is how you calculate value. And according to my metrics, you ain't worth shit.

No one gives a shit about balance sheets for these super conferences. If they did UCLA would have been left out. Face it, Kstate is as middle of the country as you can get. Bordered multiple conferences at various stages. And you have never even been seriously mentioned as a candidate for any of these conferences. That is how you calculate value. And according to my metrics, you ain't worth shit.
i was explaining how the values were determined for the wall street journal article, that's all. and to say andy staples is no one is a judgement call.

GH2dEyzXQAAIQ5d

i was explaining how the values were determined for the wall street journal article, that's all. and to say andy staples is no one is a judgement call.

GH2dEyzXQAAIQ5d
CU has switched conferences twice now. They are desirable. KSU hasn't been courted even once. But you think KSU is getting in but not CU? You think ASU, located in a huge metro, is left out but KSU isn't? Very doubtful.

CU has switched conferences twice now. They are desirable. KSU hasn't been courted even once. But you think KSU is getting in but not CU? You think ASU, located in a huge metro, is left out but KSU isn't? Very doubtful.
andy staples put that chart together, not me. i suppose he was valuing football programs with some recency just as the wall street journal was equating value to cash flow. argue as you choose. it was not my data in either case.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT