ADVERTISEMENT

Are we not talking about Chris Christie and his stance on pot?

Well, and I mean this with all due respect, but if you're disappointed in the choices your children make - that's kind of your problem, y'know? It's their life.
Totally get that... As adults, they will make all kinds of choices, some I will like, others I will not. But I am not going to make decisions for them as adults. Like you said, it's their life.

Having said that, if they make choices I don't like, that doesn't mean I can't be disappointed in their decisions. I will still love them no matter what...

Totally get that... As adults, they will make all kinds of choices, some I will like, others I will not. But I am not going to make decisions for them as adults. Like you said, it's their life.

Having said that, if they make choices I don't like, that doesn't mean I can't be disappointed in their decisions. I will still love them no matter what...
Right. I just think in terms of the legality surrounding weed, our children's choices shouldn't be a deciding factor. Basically boils down to liberty.

Admittedly, I have lived a very sheltered life in my 43 years... I never smoked marijuana, never even saw a joint smoked by someone else (other than the movies). I am very influenced by the media and hollywood regarding marijuana, and am not able to give a very educated response to this subject at all. If it's in a movie, it's usually portrayed negatively, which may not be an accurate portrayal, at least according to many of you posting in this thread. Because of my naivete, I haven't responded since posting what you quoted here.

Banning something as a precautionary measure does seem to infringe on our liberties, but I have to admit it is hard to shake the idea that marijuana isn't bad for you. If my children grow up and, as adults, smoke marijuana, I am pretty sure I would be upset about it. Is it the stigma of smoking marijuana? Maybe it is... This is genuinely a tough one for me. I know I could find all kinds of information online, but if it is like anything else, you can support your position, whatever side you land on, using the internet.

I get what you said about the stigma of doing cannabis. Even where I live, where nearly a 1/3 of my acquaintances are doing it regularly, and probably another 1/3 would do it or don't have a problem with it, it's still not something talked about openly. I had reservations about sharing what I did above, despite the fact that this a more or less anonymous forum. Cannabis will become more accepted over time, especially as people who buck the stoner label take it up. It's still weird to me to think that people can smoke cannabis regularly, have ambition, and be successful in life. In fact, I didn't realize this until I was getting my MA in Vancouver, BC about 5 years ago. That's still something I worry about. Since I use my brain a lot, I'd hate to find out in 20 years that I was affecting it far worse than I would have through, say, alcohol. So, I'll echo what I said above: I'd like to see more studies.

Legalize pot now!

You will come to me, I am the candy man!

Hostess-Twinkies-box.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT