ADVERTISEMENT

Your most memorable Husker play?

Huskerfan2112

Senior
Dec 7, 2009
Many threads lately about all time great players. What about one play that sticks out in your mind as an all timer? Good or bad.

The failed 2 point conversion?
The flea kicker?
Jack’s spring game TD run?

Probably an overlooked play but I will go with Kareem Moss intercepting Costa to seal TO’s first title. Many memorable plays in that game but that was the clincher. After that play, the wait was over.

Reactions: SOHusker11
The Good:

Schlesinger's run against Miami, the one that gave us the lead.
Tommy vs Florida run.
Eric Crouch vs Missouri
Crouch's catch vs OU
Taylor Martinez vs Wisconsin
Suh slinging Colt McCoy to the ground.

The Bad:

LeKevin Smith not taking a knee to wrap up the game vs Texas Tech
Terrance Nunn vs Texas. Hold on to the f'ing ball!!
BYU hail marry
Suh running full blast, causing McCoy to throw the ball away leaving 1 second.

Fumblerooski? Crouch TD reception vs. OU? Tommie running over Florida? That is just offense, have to think about defense and special teams.

George 'Doc' Flippin around the right edge to the house on a 56 yard TD run in 1892 against Illinois. Really set the stage for the Championship runs.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
I still love the Westerkamp behind the back catch. Davison Misery was more meaningful though.

Crouch's catch against OU is my favorite offensive play

Suh intercepting Cody Hawkins then simply destroying Hawkins when running him over for the pick 6 is my favorite defensive play

Alex Henery's 57 yard game winner against CU

Turner Gil's bounce pass screen to Friar.

Armstrong's 99 yard TD pass against Georgia

And many, many more...

OU- NU 1978 Billy Sims fumble on the NU 3 yard line.
OU was driving for the go ahead score
Sealed NU's first win over OU under Osborne- after MANY "sooner magic" wins by OU

I was 18- sitting in what was then a set of bleachers in just to the side of the End zone, It happened right in front of me. Everyone jumped up and hugged each other. I went to throw an Orange onto the field it hit square in the back of the head of the guy in front of me- he had jumped up and gotten into its path.

He was so happy- he didnt care one iota. Fans stormed the field, tore down the goalposts and marched them to the Capital.

95 OB- Schlesinger TDs- Totally Surrounded by mouthy NASTY Miami fans. Sweated through all my clothes.

Reactions: huskerbux and zrob
What could be the most memorable play. Firing Eichorst, Hiring Moos, Moos sending Davison to florida to be the squeaky wheel in Frost ear. That play could be the spark that lit the fire!!!

WINNER!!!

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
Rogers punt return against OU in the game of the century and the Bremser call of that return. Sorry guys nothing in Neb football history and future will ever top it! At the time that game was built up more than almost any in history. Making that play even more spectacular and memorable.

I was in the stadium for Henrey's 57 yard FG and then the Suh INT to seal it..... IT WAS SO LOUD after those plays I couldn't hear my dad sitting right next to me.... I'll never forget that day
Yes it was
After the stupid sack Ganz took- I headed to the exits- which are about 12 rows down form my seats
Instead of leaving- I just found an empty seat near the edge of the row and stood there with people I didnt know. Celebrated with them and stayed there until the end of the game

Loudest it had been since Osborne era

Reactions: zrob
Rogers punt return against OU in the game of the century and the Bremser call of that return. Sorry guys nothing in Neb football history and future will ever top it! At the time that game was built up more than almost any in history. Making that play even more spectacular and memorable.
Without a doubt the greatest play in husker IMHO

The '82 OU game with the Bouncerooski was the first Husker game I saw in person. IIRC, Turner Gill said later the play had never worked in practice.

Reactions: headcard
My three( I know it was supposed to be ONE):
-FUMBLE by Sims
-NON fumble(ha hah) by Kelly Phelps(same game)
- Joe Gordon of KSU getting his helmet taken off in 1995 KSU game on Fullmer's punt return for 5td!!!

The Kellogg Westerkamp hail mary vs NW was pretty cool in person. Wasn't at the CU game where Henry hit the FG, but it seemed like the stadium shock when Westy caught the ball.

Here's one...Probably the most awesome display of power I have ever seen out of a Running Back. 1982 was the year and it was here in Lincoln, and a game I was at against Oklahoma St. All game long a certain All-American Cowboy Defensive End by the name of Leslie O'Neill kept cheap shotting Rozier and in the 3rd Qtr of the game Gill hit Rozier on the flat, and what I saw still amazes me today. Rozier and O'Neill collided and Rozier ran O'Neill backwards 30 yards into the endzone. I've tried to find video of that play time and time again and can't find it!

Probably an overlooked play but I will go with Kareem Moss intercepting Costa to seal TO’s first title. Many memorable plays in that game but that was the clincher. After that play, the wait was over.
Oh man, whenever someone mentions that play, I always think of the busted coverage in the same area of the field on the preceding possession (at about 3:09:38)...

The original "rooski" -- the bummerooski with O'Leary going in for the score (I think O'Leary, that was a long time ago). Against Missouri, if I recall.

Many threads lately about all time great players. What about one play that sticks out in your mind as an all timer? Good or bad.

The flea kicker?

Not even close. I was really looking forward to this game. Nebraska was #1. Oklahoma was #2. 2 heavy weight fighters standing in the middle of the ring throwing haymakers back & forth. Truly was the Game of the Century.

1. Tommie's run versus Florida because it best epitomized the absolute domination and spirit of the best college football team ever. (1a from that game was Phillips's first TD run, where he squared his shoulders and broke as many tackles as Frazier did. That play marked the point when the sky caved in on Florida. 1b from that game was the Christian Peter 2-pt conversion that wasn't because it was so joyful to see that big guy strutting down the middle of the field even though they didn't give us the points)

2. Johnny Rodgers Man Woman and Child Punt Return

3. Schelsinger's final TD in the Orange Bowl, not only because of the significance but because at the end of the play they showed Sapp unable to catch his breath.

4. Mike Rozier's 2 yard TD run which covered around 75 yards versus UCLA. I know this seems like an odd choice but at the time it was the play that made that team seem invincible to me.

5. Black 41 Flash Reverse-- the last time I cried tears of joy at a Husker play

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
95 season 96 Fiesta Bowl. First T- Farley sacks Danny Wuerrfel for an apparent safety. But the refs didn't give it to us. Next play Jamel Williams comes from the other side and sacks Wuerful in the end zone!!!!! I about peed my pants with joy. After that play. J

Weurfel fumbled it out to the one-inch line.

Reactions: cvogele29
The Kellogg Westerkamp hail mary vs NW was pretty cool in person. Wasn't at the CU game where Henry hit the FG, but it seemed like the stadium shock when Westy caught the ball.
I was at both.
The NW catch was fun, but it was nothing close to that CU field goal and Suh's TD as far as stadium shaking loudness. It was pure mayhem.
Which was nothing close to being down there for Crouch's TD catch against OU or for when ND came to town.
LOUD.
But I hear there was louder before my time.

Best plays, for me, are Tommie's TD Run. Dominance. Wrapped up our season in 1 play.
2 and 3 are Schlesinger's TD runs. The two runs that made me a Husker. Absolutely epitomize what Nebraska is when you consider the plays themselves, the player, the opponent. Brilliance.
4 is Crouch's TD catch.
5 is the 57 yard FG. Before the kick, for some reason, I just knew he was gonna make it. It was an odd feeling, but I just knew it. And then calamity hit.

1. Keith Jackson's 88 yard TE reverse in 1985. I didn't recover from that game until Christmas.
2. Frazier's run against Florida in the Orange bowl.
3. Lord's 4th quarter interception vs Texas.
4. Every play of the CU/NU games between 1989 and 1992. Say what you will, those were the most intense, hard hitting games I can remember.

Johnny the Jet punt return against OU
TF's tackle breaking run against FLA
Fumblerooski

in that order.

The flea kicker?

Tom Rathman 60 yard TD on the first drive of the season, 1985 versus Florida State.

To offer something new, Mike Anderson's sack of Gundy in the 1993 Oklahoma game was memorable for me. (It was the last time the Oklahoma game was memorable for a while.)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT