ADVERTISEMENT

Your comprehensive Colorado Buffaloes Preseason Update..

I saw an early line on the Nebraska CU game that had Nebraska favored by 10 points. I think Nebraska completely drills them and firmly puts the nation on notice that Martinez is the real deal for Heisman consideration. If I were a betting man, I'd play a decent amount that Nebraska covers this spread handily.

I keep seeing all these comments about the altitude, and I think for the most part it is being way overblown as a possible issue.

I'm not sure how many people on this board currently were around in 2011, so there may not be many that remember, but there was a TON of hand wringing on this board about the altitude being a problem before we went to Laramie to play Wyoming in 2011. Laramie is even higher elevation than Boulder, and is in fact the highest elevation in FBS. While I remember the narrative on this board after that game was that it was a much closer game than the final score indicated, a 24-point win is a 24-point win. Plus, that game didn't even follow the usual narrative of the effect of the altitude making things close late. The score was 14-7 Nebraska at halftime, and Nebraska pulled away in the second half, scoring 10 in the 3rd quarter and 14 in the 4th.

Using a more recent example, not involving Nebraska. Last year, Colorado lost at home, in Boulder, to Oregon State, by blowing a lead late. 12 seconds into the 3rd quarter, Colorado lead the game 31-3, and appeared to have it well in hand. Through the rest of regulation, Colorado only scored 3 more points, while Oregon State scored 31, 24 of those coming in the 4th quarter. Oregon State then scored a TD in overtime and Colorado failed to score, losing 41-34 in OT. I might also stress that Oregon State was terrible. The win against Colorado was their 2nd win, and would be their last win, going 2-10. Their only other win was the 2nd game of the season against FCS Southern Utah, who ended up going 1-10. I would also point out that Corvalis is actually even lower in altitude than Lincoln, so it's not like Oregon State had some sort of advantage there.

The point of all that is that I think the effect of altitude is overblown. I'm not saying there isn't any effect, I just don't see it being a huge factor. Our offense already runs at a quick pace, meaning the players already need to be well conditioned to deal with it. I could see the altitude maybe slowing the pace a little, especially later on, but doubtful enough to see any meaningful difference. On the other side of the ball, if Colorado's OC really favors playing a slower style of offense, that plays even better into keeping the altitude from being a factor. The one position that probably would have the most ill effects from the altitude is d-line, since they probably expend the most energy on defense in a given play. Since we've heard a lot of talk about the depth on d-line; that, coupled with a slower offense, means plenty of opportunity to sub in fresh players, or even for players to recover between plays.

CU is more than happy to perpetuate altitude as a factor.

Altitude is a concern for the defense, especially in situations such as 97 & 99 when Nebraska goes into the 4th quarter of those games with commanding leads, only to go conservative, get 3 and outs and all of the sudden the defense is getting worked for td’s, momentum lost, and were gassed.

Not saying that will be the case, but I do expect a tough game, close in the second half and maybe Nebraska does the ball control in the 4th qtr and scores a few game clinching td’s. We shall see.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
Reactions: Top_Gun_
Over the years as a rivalry game, Colorado vs. Nebraska was often competitive despite the records.

Sorry, thats not correct, sometimes competitive, almost rarely competitive,despite records.
And after TO, well, this is all about not being that post TO team.
When the buffs were good, they sometimes played us close, when they werent it was rare they would.

I get what you're saying, but I completely disagree. I think there are very tangible, solid reasons to believe that Nebraska will be drastically improved. I don't think it's drinking kool aid to discuss the context of last year's 4-8 record (glorified scrimmage cancelled, close losses, major turnaround last 6 games, etc). I think we'll kick the crap out of Colorado and I'll be disappointed if we don't. Yeah, their QB and WR are nice, but while we were turning our season around they were losing their last 7! They suck.

Yep.

For comparison sake in Mike Riley’s first season he went 5-7 in the regular season. 5 of the 7 losses were by less than a TD. Season two he went 9-3 in the regular season.

Frost was 4-8. But the stat the really stands out to me was posted last week. From the second half of the Wisconsin game to the end of the season (I took out the lopsided win against Bethune Cookman) we outscored opponents 182-82. We lost three games in that stretch by a grand total of 11 points. All on the road. At Northwestern, at Ohio State, and at Iowa.

Also when you really think about first year head coaches (despite our record last year) we were an anomaly of sorts. Frost May have been in year one last year but the coaching staff as a whole was in year three. Colorado is literally in year one. Not only is it a new offensive and defensive system it’s everything. How they communicate, how they recruit, how they structure practice, how they conduct meetings and establish team rules and build trust and chemistry not just with players but as a coaching staff as well. Frost didn’t have to build chemistry with his coaches. They just took exactly what they did as UCF and did it here. Colorado doesn’t have that luxury.

Yes we were 4-8 each of the last two seasons. And prior to reading the OP I figured the CU game would be a battle. But the more I consider where we are and what Frost is building, I’m more inclined to think we go to Boulder and curb stomp CU. I certainly could be wrong, but CU has huge inexperience within the coaching staff and glaring holes on both sides of the ball so I’m expecting us not just to prove we can win but to actually make a statement in doing so.

This, 100%. Spent all my life in CO except 4 years in school on the coast. When I'd go home for the holidays and go skiing I didn't notice much (if any) of a performance hindrance from when I was living at altitude.

Now, hiking a 14,000' peak is a different story. The difference between Lincoln and Boulder is roughly 4000'. There's a marginal difference in performance when you elevate 10,000+ feet, 4000 not so much.

SkerinCo,

you know anyone that I can buy tickets from. looking for 2 tickets

My hope is that our creative offensive scheme and play-calling has their heads spinning. They have a green staff on the defensive side of the ball and our offense does some wild stuff. My fear is that they hit some big pass plays early to stay in the game and the altitude and crowd become a factor late.

Our boys played AT OSU last year...I’m sure they can handle Colorado. Plus the Sea of Red is about to take over Colorado again...I don’t see “their” crowd doing much of anything...it might be 50-60% Husker fans. And we have to remember, Scott Frost played against Colorado as a player and he also coached against them at Oregon. He knows all about the altitude issues, what it will take to keep them good to go for the game and he will have our guys ready. You got to remember, Oregon Ducks are a PAC 12 team that play Colorado regularly. Frost knows all about that Altitude. He will have our guys ready. Believe that. GBR

SkerinCo,

you know anyone that I can buy tickets from. looking for 2 tickets
I don't, unfortunately. Have 4 through Nebraska but am looking for 4 more. The block party looks like a pretty cool alternative.

Our boys played AT OSU last year...I’m sure they can handle Colorado. Plus the Sea of Red is about to take over Colorado again...I don’t see “their” crowd doing much of anything...it might be 50-60% Husker fans. And we have to remember, Scott Frost played against Colorado as a player and he also coached against them at Oregon. He knows all about the altitude issues, what it will take to keep them good to go for the game and he will have our guys ready. You got to remember, Oregon Ducks are a PAC 12 team that play Colorado regularly. Frost knows all about that Altitude. He will have our guys ready. Believe that. GBR
Not arguing but that crowd at OSU wasn't anything special last year. It was an early kick and they expected to see a complete butt rapin again.

Last edited:
Head Coach - Mel Tucker - never been a head coach in 30+ years of coaching.
Offensive Coordinator - Jay Johnson
- was the former OC at Minnesota in 2016 (only an analyst the last two seasons)
Defensive Coordinator - Tyson Summers - last time a DC at Colorado State in 2015. Became head coach at Georgia Southern (Fired after 19 months on the job. Another analyst last season)

DL Coach - Jimmy Brumbaugh - spent last two years as the DL Coach at Maryland where the Terps finished 2nd to last, ahead of Rutgers, in sacks.

OLB Coach Brian Michalowski - Brian has never coached, anywhere, at any level, ever in the game of football. No seriously.

CB Coach Traveres Tillman - Traveres has never coached, anywhere, at any level, ever in the game of football, no seriously... again.

TE Coach Al Pupunu- Came from the College football power Weber State.

QB and Receivers have talent and explosiveness. The scheme is much different though as its built around a power scheme. It will be interesting to see if Johnson tries to hamstring their strength. Frankly, that would be stupid. We will see. Offensive line has ZERO depth. That's indicative of a lot of offensive lines, but the fact a guy like Hambright can come in and start is red flag for that group. Langham is a big running back. I bet he will be pretty good down the road.

Offensive Linemen:

C Tim Lynott, JR - 24 career starts
RG- Colby Pursell - 12 starts
LT - William Sherman - 9 starts
RT - Arlington Hambright - (transfer from Oklahoma State where he started 5 career games)

Running Backs:

True Freshman - Jaren Mangham will start. No returning experience

QB - Steven Montez - 29 career starts

WR- (Team Strength) - Laviska Shenault - NFL 1st Rounder
WR- KD Nixon - caught 52 passes for 636 yards and 4 TDs
WR- Tony Brown - more experience, 30+ catches last season

TE- GRAD TRANSFER Jalen Harris - Transfer from AUBURN - 4 Career TDs at AUBURN, never started a game.

DEFENSE: - Linebackers are good, led by Landman. But they will be adapting to a different scheme which will limit the amount of pressure they apply from the edge. The D-line and Secondary is going to be a mess.

DL:

Mustafa Johnson - 22 career starts - All PAC 12 candidate

no other Defensive linemen on the roster has ever started a game.

OLB - Davion Taylor - 14 starts - 10 tackles for loss in 2018
ILB - Nate Landman - 20+ starts - future NFL ILB - All Pac 12 talent
OLB - Carson Wells - 0 starts, but talented player who came on late in 2019.

no other viable LB with experience. Will look to lightly recruited JUCO backers for help.

CB- Delrick Abrams- only Corner with any game experience on roster.

So far this Fall, CU has been moving some receivers to Cornerback. They moved Backup QB Sam Noyer to Safety. Back up running back Beau Bisharat has been moved to Tight End.

Coach Tucker was pissed off on Monday and forced the team to start practice over after about an hour of the team playing grab ass.

CU is a 10 point favorite over Colorado State in week one. The Rams were awful last year, and haven't been competitive with CU the last two seasons. But.... I would be tempted to take the Rams +10 this year. I think CU is going to be a mess this year. That coaching staff is one of the worst in the Power 5. When mixed with their depth, it looks like the recipe for a disaster in 2019.
Gee that sounds like a bo pelini staff

One more point about gambling on the Huskers. Under Kelly at Oregon, Frost saw his head coach keep his foot on the pedal and you saw the same thing when he was at UCF. As an offensive coordinator I haven’t seen Frost start calling conservatively. I think that bodes well when Nebraska is laying large points.

Defensive Coordinator - Tyson Summers - last time a DC at Colorado State in 2015. Became head coach at Georgia Southern (Fired after 19 months on the job. Another analyst last season)

DL Coach - Jimmy Brumbaugh - spent last two years as the DL Coach at Maryland where the Terps finished 2nd to last, ahead of Rutgers, in sacks.

OLB Coach Brian Michalowski - Brian has never coached, anywhere, at any level, ever in the game of football. No seriously.

CB Coach Traveres Tillman - Traveres has never coached, anywhere, at any level, ever in the game of football, no seriously... again.

QB and Receivers have talent and explosiveness. The scheme is much different though as its built around a power scheme. It will be interesting to see if Johnson tries to hamstring their strength. Frankly, that would be stupid. We will see. Offensive line has ZERO depth. That's indicative of a lot of offensive lines, but the fact a guy like Hambright can come in and start is red flag for that group. Langham is a big running back. I bet he will be pretty good down the road.

Offensive Linemen:

RT - Arlington Hambright - (transfer from Oklahoma State where he started 5 career games)

Running Backs:

TE- GRAD TRANSFER Jalen Harris - Transfer from AUBURN - 4 Career TDs at AUBURN, never started a game.

DEFENSE: - Linebackers are good, led by Landman. But they will be adapting to a different scheme which will limit the amount of pressure they apply from the edge. The D-line and Secondary is going to be a mess.

DL:

no other viable LB with experience. Will look to lightly recruited JUCO backers for help.

So far this Fall, CU has been moving some receivers to Cornerback. They moved Backup QB Sam Noyer to Safety. Back up running back Beau Bisharat has been moved to Tight End.

Coach Tucker was pissed off on Monday and forced the team to start practice over after about an hour of the team playing grab ass.

CU is a 10 point favorite over Colorado State in week one. The Rams were awful last year, and haven't been competitive with CU the last two seasons. But.... I would be tempted to take the Rams +10 this year. I think CU is going to be a mess this year. That coaching staff is one of the worst in the Power 5. When mixed with their depth, it looks like the recipe for a disaster in 2019.

LOL. Little to nothing accurate in this post. "Seriously", little to no accuracy. Nowledge.

LOL. Little to nothing accurate in this post. "Seriously", little to no accuracy. Nowledge.
Set him straight. Don’t be a dork, point out his inaccuracies so we should be afraid of Colorado. Which coaches have a wealth of experience that Cornicator missed? How about Tucker’s first gig after 30 years of being an assistant? How is that wrong?

Offensive Linemen:

Running Backs:

DL:

the interview process when hiring that new coaching staff must have been an interesting experience

Last edited:
Set him straight. Don’t be a dork, point out his inaccuracies so we should be afraid of Colorado. Which coaches have a wealth of experience that Cornicator missed? How about Tucker’s first gig after 30 years of being an assistant? How is that wrong?
You guys live in your own world. I don't care to correct him. I just think it's hilarious. Of all the fanbases, you guys are the most myopic by a mile and always have been. It had been so long that I had forgotten until last year. You can go back a year on this board and see much of the same, then the loss, then all the head scratching. All that matters is the CU fans know the deal so we won't be surprised. I'm just having fun watching another thread by a fan who hasn't a clue by a mile. Google must work differently in some parts of the country.

Reactions: sandiegohawk
I agree Pennsy. I'd love to see Nebraska go in there and do a 2005 and wipe them out, but I see a very close game despite all the good reasons Cornicator gave to think otherwise.

Nebraska has to prove they can go on the road and beat cu where altitude, noise, and heat will play a major factor. We shall see.
noise won't be much of a factor when their student section gets kicked out

You guys live in your own world. I don't care to correct him. I just think it's hilarious. Of all the fanbases, you guys are the most myopic by a mile and always have been. It had been so long that I had forgotten until last year. You can go back a year on this board and see much of the same, then the loss, then all the head scratching. All that matters is the CU fans know the deal so we won't be surprised. I'm just having fun watching another thread by a fan who hasn't a clue by a mile. Google must work differently in some parts of the country.
Know the deal? That means you know you are imbeciles, then. You are, also, astutely perceptive.

Will you be in hiding after Nebraska blows sCUm out?

You don't correct him because you know he's right. You know Colorado is a disaster.

Last edited:
Altitude is my biggest worry especially in the fourth quarter..

Colorado has almost always played us tough in Boulder..1997 SF team had a 27-10 lead entering the fourth quarter and won 27-24..In 1999 Nebraska had a 27-3 lead entering the 4th quarter and pulled out a OVT win..

No question Nebraska needs to jump on them early like they did in 1995 and get a 2 score lead, because it looks like this Colorado team will have a harder time coming from behind than the team they had last year...

CU was also better coached and had a lot more complete teams back then.

You're grasping for straws. VIrtually everything is accurate. Hell, the only mistake was stating Tucker had been coaching for 30 years. Its actually closer to 25 years. my bad.

CU fans, like yourself, are garbage and you prove it time and time again. F#$c out of here you little baby bitch.

In other words, it's accurate.

Having just moved from Colorado I have a number of friends who follow CU closely and are CU grads. Most tend to actually be pretty honest with their thoughts and have been pretty accurate in the past. The consensus seems to be that the offense will end up being better than people expect, but it will, understandably, take 3-5 games to get to that point, as the players get comfortable with the new system and the coaches learn what plays work for what players. Obviously, therefore, it will still be a major work in progress when NU comes to town. OTOH, they believe the D will be a mess the entire season; not enough high level D-1 talent combined with a new system. Any team with any sort of offensive pulse should score in the 30's at a minimum against CU, unless the opponent shoots itself in the foot over and over. Which is always possible.

Reactions: SOHusker11
I saw an early line on the Nebraska CU game that had Nebraska favored by 10 points. I think Nebraska completely drills them and firmly puts the nation on notice that Martinez is the real deal for Heisman consideration. If I were a betting man, I'd play a decent amount that Nebraska covers this spread handily.

That's honestly a significant spread for a Non con game involving two Power 5 teams. Its even more significant considering the Power 5 home team is the dog. Vegas set the initial line because they expect Colorado to be terrible.

Reactions: chicolby
Tucker was an interim head coach for the Jaguars for 5 games in 2011. Not much, but guessing that is part of what he refers to. Tucker was also DC for the Browns, Jags, Bears and Georgia; co-DC at Ohio St.

Reactions: timnsun

Offensive Linemen:

Running Backs:

DL:

Shouldn't this be South Alabama we are writing about? Could be trap game.

That's honestly a significant spread for a Non con game involving two Power 5 teams. Its even more significant considering the Power 5 home team is the dog. Vegas set the initial line because they expect Colorado to be terrible.

I don’t think the line is -10 as of now for the CU game. Thought I heard Verz on the radio say the other day the line is -8 NU.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
Michalowski is kind of an interesting one - only 29, but has been a GA at AZ St, Wyoming, and Memphis and was DC for a team in Germany and also for Garden City before going to Georgia. Tillman was a high school coach before GA at Georgia. He had a bit of an NFL career before coaching. Again, not much, but more than nothing at any level anywhere.

Michalowski is kind of an interesting one - only 29, but has been a GA at AZ St, Wyoming, and Memphis and was DC for a team in Germany and also for Garden City before going to Georgia. Tillman was a high school coach before GA at Georgia. He had a bit of an NFL career before coaching. Again, not much, but more than nothing at any level anywhere.

There are only two Power 5 Assistant Coaches in America right now who went straight from being a GA to coaching at the Power 5 level. Both of them are at Colorado.

Hell there are Assistants at the D2 level who were previously GA's in the SEC. And being a DC at a JUCO doesn't really count, especially when Jason Brown was the OC on the other side of the football. THe dude has never held a full time paid position coach spot. He earned a $1400 per month stipend at GCCC.

This may be the most ironic thing I have ever seen posted on here. I guess a lifetime of ass kickings has made you jaded.

Says everything is FALSE, disproves nothing, then goes on a tangent about Nebraska fans. I’ll say it again and again Nebraska owns so much real estate in CUs head it’s laughable

This, 100%. Spent all my life in CO except 4 years in school on the coast. When I'd go home for the holidays and go skiing I didn't notice much (if any) of a performance hindrance from when I was living at altitude.

Now, hiking a 14,000' peak is a different story. The difference between Lincoln and Boulder is roughly 4000'. There's a marginal difference in performance when you elevate 10,000+ feet, 4000 not so much.
We should spread our practices out that week:
  1. Monday in Lincoln (1,176 feet)
  2. Tuesday in Kearney (2,152 feet)
  3. Wednesday in Ogallala (3,222 feet)
  4. Thursday in Fort Morgan, Colorado (4,324 feet)
  5. Friday in Boulder (5,328 feet)
Classes? Skype, girl.

^^^^Getting his piss balloons ready as we speak^^^^

A lifetime of ass kickings and a program that has been in ruins for 15 years will do that to you.

We’ll get a good gauge of where Colorado is after their first game with Colorado St
Not really, the Rams are pretty bad. Perhaps a slightly better measuring stick than the South Alabama game, but not by much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT