ADVERTISEMENT

Your comprehensive Colorado Buffaloes Preseason Update..

Not really, the Rams are pretty bad. Perhaps a slightly better measuring stick than the South Alabama game, but not by much.
Only slightly off-topic: Patrick O'Brien set to be CSU's backup QB behind fellow fourth-year junior Collin Hill. CSU picked fifth in Mountain Division of the MWC, ahead of only New Mexico.

You guys live in your own world. I don't care to correct him. I just think it's hilarious. Of all the fanbases, you guys are the most myopic by a mile and always have been. It had been so long that I had forgotten until last year. You can go back a year on this board and see much of the same, then the loss, then all the head scratching. All that matters is the CU fans know the deal so we won't be surprised. I'm just having fun watching another thread by a fan who hasn't a clue by a mile. Google must work differently in some parts of the country.

You don’t care to correct him because you probably can’t correct him...

Reactions: SOHusker11
I saw an early line on the Nebraska CU game that had Nebraska favored by 10 points. I think Nebraska completely drills them and firmly puts the nation on notice that Martinez is the real deal for Heisman consideration. If I were a betting man, I'd play a decent amount that Nebraska covers this spread handily.
Agree, I don't think it is going to be close. I get why people and even our own fans are a bit apprehensive after b2b 4-8. This is a Colorado team that took a nose dive last year. I know a lot can improve/ change from 1 year to the next, so I don't like to use last years results as an indicator to the current year. To my knowledge they haven't really gain much in the off season as far as talent. They have 2 or 3 stud players and the rest probably be backups at Neb. They also have a new coach, while I do think Tucker will get the Buffs better, I don't see him being able to do it year 1. I really don't see him beating a much improved Neb team.
Look at it like this. We were crap the first part of last year. So many mental mistakes and poor fundamental play. 3 turnovers and almost 100 yard in penalties. Completely new coaching staff, True Fresh QB. Not only the first game of the year but also first at Nebraska for Frost and staff. Yet still they could only muster up enough to pull out a 5 point win. I get it a win is a win, and I acknowledge that, they were the better team.
So those who don't think Neb will win honestly believe our year 2 program won't be able to better their year 1 program, who were barley able to beat us last year? That basically is saying either you think Nebraska didn't improve at all over last year or CU improved so much that they surpass any improvements we made.

Last edited:
One more point about gambling on the Huskers. Under Kelly at Oregon, Frost saw his head coach keep his foot on the pedal and you saw the same thing when he was at UCF. As an offensive coordinator I haven’t seen Frost start calling conservatively. I think that bodes well when Nebraska is laying large points.

I’ve detailed the play calling tendencies for Frost on a couple of occasions. Play call conservative, as in run the ball every time to run out the clock, that he doesn’t do. However, his run/pass ratio, as a play caller goes from 53/47 in quarters 1-3 to 61/39 in quarter 4. And it is almost 70% run with a 15 point or more lead.

I would agree that he stays within the offense and doesn’t alter tempo but there are significantly more run plays in the 4th qtr.

I’ve detailed the play calling tendencies for Frost on a couple of occasions. Play call conservative, as in run the ball every time to run out the clock, that he doesn’t do. However, his run/pass ratio, as a play caller goes from 53/47 in quarters 1-3 to 61/39 in quarter 4. And it is almost 70% run with a 15 point or more lead.

I would agree that he stays within the offense and doesn’t alter tempo but there are significantly more run plays in the 4th qtr.
That's something Frost can improve on. There comes a point in close games where snapping the ball with time on the play clock late in the 4th quarter can really hurt your teams chances to win.

what years did you analys ?

You guys live in your own world. I don't care to correct him. I just think it's hilarious. Of all the fanbases, you guys are the most myopic by a mile and always have been. It had been so long that I had forgotten until last year. You can go back a year on this board and see much of the same, then the loss, then all the head scratching. All that matters is the CU fans know the deal so we won't be surprised. I'm just having fun watching another thread by a fan who hasn't a clue by a mile. Google must work differently in some parts of the country.
I googled CU and it returned worst fans in America

Only slightly off-topic: Patrick O'Brien set to be CSU's backup QB behind fellow fourth-year junior Collin Hill. CSU picked fifth in Mountain Division of the MWC, ahead of only New Mexico.
Off topic even more. Of all the players that moved on since Riley was fired are any starting for P5 programs? or anywhere?

what years did you analys ?

His years as OC at Oregon and both years at UCF. I originally did the research either right before or right after he was hired at Nebraska. There was a lot of discussion about how the offense was going to be different here because it’s the big 10 and how it was going to be more run dominant than he had run in the past. So I sort of created a baseline for what his offense of production and play calling would look like.

Here are the actual numbers

Total plays by quarter.

1st 722 rush - 603 pass - 1325 total 54/46 r/p
2nd 675 rush - 652 pass - 1327 total 51/49 r/p
3rd 674 rush - 495 pass - 1169 total 58/42 r/p
4th 769 rush - 362 pass - 1131 total 68/42 r/p

In quarters 1-3 Frost guided offenses are at 54/46 run/pass ratio.
Full game ratio is 57/43. The records of his teams over that 5 year stretch 52-15.

Last edited:
Reactions: Top_Gun_ and 9and4
I thought I had read that he was a projected starter. But you know 'things are fluid' this time of year. I've always had a fascination for those who left the program. Like I wonder whatever happened to that Kendall Bussey guy?

The score has been an average 35-34 for Nebraska in Boulder, basically in the 5 games played there in the series, since 2001.

Colorado 2 wins to
Nebraska 3 wins in Boulder

Colorado Buffaloes
Date Opponent (record) Result Score Site
9/8/2018 @ Nebraska (4-8) W 33 28
11/26/2010 @ *Nebraska (10-4) L 17 45
11/27/2009 vs. *Nebraska (10-4) L 20 28
11/28/2008 @ *Nebraska (9-4) L 31 40
11/23/2007 vs. *Nebraska (5-7) W 65 51
11/24/2006 @ *Nebraska (9-5) L 14 37
11/25/2005 vs. *Nebraska (8-4) L 3 30
11/26/2004 @ *Nebraska (5-6) W 26 20
11/28/2003 vs. *Nebraska (10-3) L 22 31
11/29/2002 @ *Nebraska (7-7) W 28 13
11/23/2001 vs. *Nebraska (11-2) W 62 36
11/24/2000 @ *Nebraska (10-2) L 32 34

Last edited:
The score has been an average 35-34 for Nebraska, basically in the 5 games played in the series, since 2001.

Colorado 2 wins to
Nebraska 3 wins

Colorado Buffaloes
Fix this post please...

Average score last 5 games wasn’t 35-34... and we have played in 11 games since 2001...

What are you trying to say?

The score has been an average 35-34 for Nebraska, basically in the 5 games played in the series, since 2001.

Colorado 2 wins to
Nebraska 3 wins

Colorado Buffaloes
You're a fu©king moron. And terrible at math. Go away.

The score has been an average 35-34 for Nebraska in Boulder, basically in the 5 games played there in the series, since 2001.

Colorado 2 wins to
Nebraska 3 wins in Boulder

Colorado Buffaloes

So if I am reading this right cu has only beaten NU when NU had a losing season with exception of that fateful day in 2001. are you really expecting us to have a losing season this year?

Try 38.4 - 33.2 over the last 5 years, idiot. cidork is just trying to cherry pick stats to fit his anti-husker narrative and failing miserably. Looks like that clown @cidsports missed my post on page two.

He didn’t say the last 5 years. He said the last 5 games between the two in Boulder. You would be correct if it were the last 5 games between the two..

He didn’t say the last 5 years. He said the last 5 games between the two in Boulder. You would be correct if it were the last 5 games between the two..
To be fair, he absolutely said the last 5 games. He never said in Boulder til he edited it over an hour later. The quotes from me and SkerinCo show he simply said last 5 games in the series.

Reactions: barney44

Great information and research. I think also not contradicting my point also. He learned that from Osborne. When your opponent is wearing out, pound them harder. I don’t have the data, but my gut from memory suggests Frost’s teams continue to score at a high clip in the fourth quarter. Check me if I’m wrong

Buffs released their depth chart yesterday. Some things of note:

As mentioned in the original post, DE Mustafa Johnson, a very good player btw, is the only returning starter on the D-line. But CU's inexperience along the defensive front is about more than lack of starting experience. Here's a break down of the unit as a whole:

2nd String DE behind Johnson is true freshmen 5.5 3-Star Na'im Rodman who chose CU over a late charge from Arkansas State and Colorado State.

Starting Nose Tackle Jalen Sami is a RS Freshmen former Greyshirt. He was a 5.4 Two Star who chose the Buffs after offers from Northern Colorado and Weber State. In Sami's defense, he is a big human being at 6'6 320. Sami is a backed up by a True Freshman from Georgia named Austin Williams. He is a 5.5 Three Star with a handfull of Power 5 offers, but everyone was recruiting him as an Offensive Linemen. The Buffs moved him to Nose.

The other starting DE opposite Johnson played in 11 games last season. His name is Terrence Lang. He's a Sophomore and a good player. His backup is JUCO transfer Janaz Jordan. The Buffs beat out Lamar and Nicholls State for Jordan's services.

So Colorado's Defensive line 2-deep will include one RS freshmen, 2 true freshmen, and 1 JUCO transfer, none of which were heavily recruited at their positions.

CB- Mekhi Blackmon - started 4 games in 2018, including first start vs. Nebraska covering Spielman. - injured most of 2018. He is backed up by true freshman. 5.5 three star KJ Trujillo.

FS- SMU transfer Mikial Onu will start. He has 15 career starts at SMU. His back up is Sophomore Isiaih Lewis who played seven total snaps in 2018. He is a former 2-Star who chose CU over Wyoming.

SS- Former JUCO transfer Aaron Maddox - played all 12 games last season on Special Teams - No viable Defensive Experience. Derrion Rackestraw is his back up, he's been unable to crack the starting lineup in 3 seasons. Been suspended a few times for off the field issues.

CB - Delrick Abrams is the only returning main starter in the Secondary. He is backed up by Sophomore Chris Miller, who played in all 12 games in 2018.

Blackmon, Abrams, Rackestraw and Miller are the only 4 scholarship Defensive players on the roster who have played more 100 snaps of Power 5 football.

CU is loaded at WR, very strong at LB, and benefits from having an experienced QB. Their offensive line has ZERO depth. Their D-line and secondary will both be a mess.

Buffs released their depth chart yesterday. Some things of note:

As mentioned in the original post, DE Mustafa Johnson, a very good player btw, is the only returning starter on the D-line. But CU's inexperience along the defensive front is about more than lack of starting experience. Here's a break down of the unit as a whole:

2nd String DE behind Johnson is true freshmen 5.5 3-Star Na'im Rodman who chose CU over a late charge from Arkansas State and Colorado State.

Starting Nose Tackle Jalen Sami is a RS Freshmen former Greyshirt. He was a 5.4 Two Star who chose the Buffs after offers from Northern Colorado and Weber State. In Sami's defense, he is a big human being at 6'6 320. Sami is a backed up by a True Freshman from Georgia named Austin Williams. He is a 5.5 Three Star with a handfull of Power 5 offers, but everyone was recruiting him as an Offensive Linemen. The Buffs moved him to Nose.

The other starting DE opposite Johnson played in 11 games last season. His name is Terrence Lang. He's a Sophomore and a good player. His backup is JUCO transfer Janaz Jordan. The Buffs beat out Lamar and Nicholls State for Jordan's services.

So Colorado's Defensive line 2-deep will include one RS freshmen, 2 true freshmen, and 1 JUCO transfer, none of which were heavily recruited at their positions.

CB- Mekhi Blackmon - started 4 games in 2018, including first start vs. Nebraska covering Spielman. - injured most of 2018. He is backed up by true freshman. 5.5 three star KJ Trujillo.

FS- SMU transfer Mikial Onu will start. He has 15 career starts at SMU. His back up is Sophomore Isiaih Lewis who played seven total snaps in 2018. He is a former 2-Star who chose CU over Wyoming.

SS- Former JUCO transfer Aaron Maddox - played all 12 games last season on Special Teams - No viable Defensive Experience. Derrion Rackestraw is his back up, he's been unable to crack the starting lineup in 3 seasons. Been suspended a few times for off the field issues.

CB - Delrick Abrams is the only returning main starter in the Secondary. He is backed up by Sophomore Chris Miller, who played in all 12 games in 2018.

Blackmon, Abrams, Rackestraw and Miller are the only 4 scholarship Defensive players on the roster who have played more 100 snaps of Power 5 football.

CU is loaded at WR, very strong at LB, and benefits from having an experienced QB. Their offensive line has ZERO depth. Their D-line and secondary will both be a mess.
Thanks for continuing to break it down.

I suspect scavenger will be here soon to tell you you are wrong, but not how or why.

Brace for it.

Quick bump for uncle lee:

has anyone seen an updated spread for the DONU @ CU game? Asking for me.

TIA
6c9.gif

Did someone repost this from last year? I am sure we will do well on winning the game in blowout fashion on paper. We are good at beating teams on paper. I'll await the real results though for now. Consecutive years of 4-8 require on-the-field proof before we start crowning champions and declaring blowouts.

Did someone repost this from last year? I am sure we will do well on winning the game in blowout fashion on paper. We are good at beating teams on paper. I'll await the real results though for now. Consecutive years of 4-8 require on-the-field proof before we start crowning champions and declaring blowouts.
Nope. We're gonna blow them out. Joking aside though, there was a LOT of on the field proof last season that our program was/is headed in the right direction. It's there if you want to see it. I get the "I'll wait for the real results" stance, and I'm fine with it. But there are rational reasons to believe we are a much better team than Colorado headed into the season.

Reactions: timnsun
Head Coach - Mel Tucker - never been a head coach in 30+ years of coaching.
Offensive Coordinator - Jay Johnson
- was the former OC at Minnesota in 2016 (only an analyst the last two seasons)
Defensive Coordinator - Tyson Summers - last time a DC at Colorado State in 2015. Became head coach at Georgia Southern (Fired after 19 months on the job. Another analyst last season)

DL Coach - Jimmy Brumbaugh - spent last two years as the DL Coach at Maryland where the Terps finished 2nd to last, ahead of Rutgers, in sacks.

OLB Coach Brian Michalowski - Brian has never coached, anywhere, at any level, ever in the game of football. No seriously.

CB Coach Traveres Tillman - Traveres has never coached, anywhere, at any level, ever in the game of football, no seriously... again.

TE Coach Al Pupunu- Came from the College football power Weber State.

QB and Receivers have talent and explosiveness. The scheme is much different though as its built around a power scheme. It will be interesting to see if Johnson tries to hamstring their strength. Frankly, that would be stupid. We will see. Offensive line has ZERO depth. That's indicative of a lot of offensive lines, but the fact a guy like Hambright can come in and start is red flag for that group. Langham is a big running back. I bet he will be pretty good down the road.

Offensive Linemen:

C Tim Lynott, JR - 24 career starts
RG- Colby Pursell - 12 starts
LT - William Sherman - 9 starts
RT - Arlington Hambright - (transfer from Oklahoma State where he started 5 career games)

Running Backs:

True Freshman - Jaren Mangham will start. No returning experience

QB - Steven Montez - 29 career starts

WR- (Team Strength) - Laviska Shenault - NFL 1st Rounder
WR- KD Nixon - caught 52 passes for 636 yards and 4 TDs
WR- Tony Brown - more experience, 30+ catches last season

TE- GRAD TRANSFER Jalen Harris - Transfer from AUBURN - 4 Career TDs at AUBURN, never started a game.

DEFENSE: - Linebackers are good, led by Landman. But they will be adapting to a different scheme which will limit the amount of pressure they apply from the edge. The D-line and Secondary is going to be a mess.

DL:

Mustafa Johnson - 22 career starts - All PAC 12 candidate

no other Defensive linemen on the roster has ever started a game.

OLB - Davion Taylor - 14 starts - 10 tackles for loss in 2018
ILB - Nate Landman - 20+ starts - future NFL ILB - All Pac 12 talent
OLB - Carson Wells - 0 starts, but talented player who came on late in 2019.

no other viable LB with experience. Will look to lightly recruited JUCO backers for help.

CB- Delrick Abrams- only Corner with any game experience on roster.

So far this Fall, CU has been moving some receivers to Cornerback. They moved Backup QB Sam Noyer to Safety. Back up running back Beau Bisharat has been moved to Tight End.

Coach Tucker was pissed off on Monday and forced the team to start practice over after about an hour of the team playing grab ass.

CU is a 10 point favorite over Colorado State in week one. The Rams were awful last year, and haven't been competitive with CU the last two seasons. But.... I would be tempted to take the Rams +10 this year. I think CU is going to be a mess this year. That coaching staff is one of the worst in the Power 5. When mixed with their depth, it looks like the recipe for a disaster in 2019.

Sounds like an easy win for Nebraska

CU will try to control the clock and play ball control. They are shifting philosophically. Even with a dynamic talent like Shenault, I don't think they can keep up with the Huskers and overcome that defense which has serious issues on both the front and back ends.
Nostradamus in this thread

ADVERTISEMENT