ADVERTISEMENT

Your 4 top bands...

Too much New Year, just got home from a party and the wife and I were talking on the way home about the music played at the NYC ball drop. I guess we are getting old, but I hadn't heard of most of the performers. So this is my post, your top 4 bands. Myself in no order would go with Metallica, AC/DC, Stone Temple Pilots, and Alice in Chains. Kind of a weird mix but I like what I like. How bout you

Edit: I would have to put Candlebox in there somewhere as well.
REM
Pearl Jam
RUSH
Led Zeppelin

Too much New Year, just got home from a party and the wife and I were talking on the way home about the music played at the NYC ball drop. I guess we are getting old, but I hadn't heard of most of the performers. So this is my post, your top 4 bands. Myself in no order would go with Metallica, AC/DC, Stone Temple Pilots, and Alice in Chains. Kind of a weird mix but I like what I like. How bout you

Growing up I was big into Van Halen, Motley Crue, Pantera and Metallica. Currently I've been listening to Five Finger Death Punch, Killswitch Engage, Disturbed, All that Remains and Slipknot.

My Objective list
1. The Beatles
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Pink Floyd
4. The Rolling Stones

Which is exactly why I can't do lists like this anymore.

Hell, I can't even think of 10 albums for a Gilligan's Island situation; I'm basically stuck at 3 (Workbook by Bob Mould, Sister Lovers by Big Star and Murmur by REM) with a few dozen others that go in and out of favor.

Sister Lovers and Murmur. Two of the greatest albums ever made. But I like almost everything Big Star did. Murmur is by far my favorite REM album. This may be the perfect song...

Reactions: ravensk and canaham

Beatles
ELO
Boston
Van Halen w/o Hager

The Stanford band - but only when they mock Iowa by trotting out a cow.
YES, Allman Bros., UFO, Thin Lizzy or 10 Yrs After

holidays-events-the-best-tumblr-festive-january-new-years-eve-celebrate-hot-girls-courus-line-in-thongs-printed-on-butt-buttocks-ass-booty-first-1st-december-31st-facebook-timeline-cover-banner-for-fb-profile.jpg

Reactions: bmb81664
Its fair to say all Husker fans like kick ass music, so lets get some of this for the tunnel walk. Cyrus was cool in the 90's, this ain't the 90's. Lets get some kick ass music playing for the tunnel walk!!! I'm not saying that would make the team better, I'm just saying it is time for a change of atmosphere for the tunnel walk....I didn't see one person list Cyrus in their top four songs.....

I always thought this would have been a cool song to play sometime during the game. Great lyrics and message, and enough of a country sound to appease the country crowd. But I guess the country music crowd is mostly listening to gutless 'new' country pop, which is as bad as music gets. Features the extraordinaire Chuck Prophet.

Last edited:
Top 4:
Pearl Jam
Beatles
Zeppelin
Stones

HM:
Rage, Incubus, Sublime, Nirvana
Very much in line with my taste.

Id take the Stones out as I have never cared for them much. Give me a couple of their songs like the Devil one and thats about it.

Have all Zeppelin songs from a four disc boxed set (back when they did those) and the a two disc set that followed that filled in with lesser known songs like Hot Dog etc.

Love Rage, again have all including Renegades which is a GREAT cover album.

Incubus Ill take Make yourself and SCIENCE. The rest not so much.

Throw in a handfull of Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins and a few Foo Fighters.

Have to add that its very sad that so few are saying Hendrix. Again have all three studio albums, blues, and live at woodstock. Even have some cover/tribute albums that suck IMO. Even for Hendrix fans stay away from Pickin on Hendrix. A bluegrass tribute to hendrix. Barf.

Lastly I must add that Hendrix holds a special place for me as I was able to convince my wife to have our wedding song be a Hendrix song. A slower lovey one in "May this be Love" but a Hendrix song nonetheless.

Metallica
Sevendust
Jimmy Buffett

4 is pretty interchangeable. Tremonti at the moment.

Pearl Jam : Silversun Pickups : Wolf Alice : Ben Howard

I knew there was something I liked about you.

I knew there was something I didnt like about you.

Exactly. Talk about a guy that has milked 1 song (and a rotten song at that), Jimmy Buffett is the top of that list.

Id take the Stones out as I have never cared for them much. Give me a couple of their songs like the Devil one and thats about it.

Have all Zeppelin songs from a four disc boxed set (back when they did those) and the a two disc set that followed that filled in with lesser known songs like Hot Dog etc.

Have to add that its very sad that so few are saying Hendrix. Again have all three studio albums, blues, and live at woodstock. Even have some cover/tribute albums that suck IMO. Even for Hendrix fans stay away from Pickin on Hendrix. A bluegrass tribute to hendrix. Barf.

Lastly I must add that Hendrix holds a special place for me as I was able to convince my wife to have our wedding song be a Hendrix song. A slower lovey one in "May this be Love" but a Hendrix song nonetheless.

You're disappointed in others because they don't have Hendrix on their list, but you didn't include the Stones. Made me chuckle. Winking

Exactly. Talk about a guy that has milked 1 song (and a rotten song at that), Jimmy Buffett is the top of that list.

You're disappointed in others because they don't have Hendrix on their list, but you didn't include the Stones. Made me chuckle. Winking
Stones just not my thing. They still seem to be recognized. Hendrix nowadays? Sad how many young ones have no idea who Jimi is. And Im talking Hendrix's lesser known songs not the overdone Purple haze, Fire, and Foxy lady.

Stones just not my thing. They still seem to be recognized. Hendrix nowadays? Sad how many young ones have no idea who Jimi is. And Im talking Hendrix's lesser known songs not the overdone Purple haze, Fire, and Foxy lady.

I could probably watch videos of him playing for hours. He truly made it look effortless. But as far as listening to the blues for hours on end, I can't do it. It just becomes far too repetitive, because the chord progression is essentially the same for every song.

As far as the Stones, I think they wrote some of the best slow songs I've ever heard. Wild Horses, As Tears Go By, Time Is On My Side, I'm Just Waiting On a Friend. And many that I'm forgetting. All are masterful melodies.

Currently (but is fluid):
Punch Bro's
Del McCurry Band
My Morning Jacket
Talking Heads

Because the question asked for bands, I'll stick to the traditional description. Otherwise, most of my top 4 would be hip hop acts and/or individuals, which I have a hard time considering as bands in the grand scheme. That said:
The Roots
The Black Keys
Explosions in the Sky
The Good Life

Totally agree on Jimmi, can't believe I left him off my list. Also can't believe I left off the Black Keys. I'm also a big fan of Smashing Pumpkins and Foo Fighters. But taking off the Stones, come on man!

Last edited:
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Maroon 5
Jane's Addiction
Uhhh. Maroon 5 in there simply because of James Valentine being a southeast grad?

Oh and almost ashamed of myself for leaving off the Beastie Boys. Great band. Yes i did say band.

ADVERTISEMENT