ADVERTISEMENT

Your 4 top bands...

ravensk

Oct 9, 2007
Too much New Year, just got home from a party and the wife and I were talking on the way home about the music played at the NYC ball drop. I guess we are getting old, but I hadn't heard of most of the performers. So this is my post, your top 4 bands. Myself in no order would go with Metallica, AC/DC, Stone Temple Pilots, and Alice in Chains. Kind of a weird mix but I like what I like. How bout you

Edit: I would have to put Candlebox in there somewhere as well.

Reactions: HudsonValleyHusker
This is fairly fluid list, but other than the Beatles, who (out of respect for their influence to future bands) should be at the top, or very near the top of every list...I'll go with the best song-writer of his generation, Wilco (Jeff Tweedy), Built to Spill, Elvis Costello (still the best lyricist of his time), and probably the Jayhawks or Drive By Truckers (Jason Isbell). It will probably be a different list in a month or two. :)

Honorable mentions to Superchunk, Pavement, Yo La Tengo, and Guided by Voices. Steven Malkmus has had a lasting impact on music.

Such a beautiful guitar rig sound...

Last edited:
Reactions: coach00036
Too much New Year, just got home from a party and the wife and I were talking on the way home about the music played at the NYC ball drop. I guess we are getting old, but I hadn't heard of most of the performers. So this is my post, your top 4 bands. Myself in no order would go with Metallica, AC/DC, Stone Temple Pilots, and Alice in Chains. Kind of a weird mix but I like what I like. How bout you

Iron Maiden and Metallica are my two standouts, hard to pick after that.

This is fairly fluid list, but other than the Beatles, who (out of respect for their influence to future bands) should be at the top, or very near the top of every list...I'll go with the best song-writer of his generation, Wilco (Jeff Tweedy), Built to Spill, Elvis Costello (still the best lyricist of his time), and probably the Jayhawks or Drive By Truckers (Jason Isbell). It will probably be a different list in a month or two. :)

Honorable mentions to Superchunk, Pavement, Yo La Tengo, and Guided by Voices. Steven Malkmus has had a lasting impact on music.

Such a beautiful guitar rig sound...

That is one hell of a list

Reactions: Hoosker Du
sometimes, ill hear a song i havent heard in awhile and think to myself you know thats the best damn band! then ill hear another one sometime later and think the same thing.

probably the groups that impact me the most - stones ac/dc zep.

Have to go with, in this order:
* Beatles
* Led Zepplin
* Rush
* U2

Honorable Mention:
* GNR
* Joe Walsh
* Alice In Chains
* Metallica

1. zeppelin
2. skynard
3. ac/dc
4. stones or floyd or eagles

Last edited:
Tom petty
Pearl jam
Red hot

After that it's tough. Zevon, the band, or collective soul most likely.

Blue October
Bare Naked Ladies
Lyle Lovett and His Big Band
Pat Benatar and Her Band

Some of my favorite music and lyrics! All of them played at Stir Cove in the last decade to reaffirm how awesome they are!

Right now it would probably be:

Turnpike Troubadours
Neil Diamond
Robert Earl Keen
Ben Folds

Honorable mention:
AC/DC
Chris LeDoux
Bare Naked Ladies
Les Zepplin

I am going to Lyle Lovett and Robert Earl in a couple months at a small venue in Missoula. Strangely enough, they were college roommates.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Queens of the Stone Age, Scorpions, Triumph and Rush - all fantastic live bands

Beach Boys
Chicago
Eagles
Moody Blues

I'm 63.

I likely missed ( being 68) seeing these folks on the list: (which I really like)
Francis Albert Sinatra
James Brown & the Flames
The BAND
The DOORS
All The 70's Southern Rock Bands
Oh hell, why not these guys also, The Glenn Miller Band, The Tommy Dorsey Orchestra.

I likely missed ( being 68) seeing these folks on the list: (which I really like)
Francis Albert Sinatra
James Brown & the Flames
The BAND
The DOORS
All The 70's Southern Rock Bands
Oh hell, why not these guys also, The Glenn Miller Band, The Tommy Dorsey Orchestra.

I've regretted not seeing Sinatra when he performed at AkSarBen.

It will probably be a different list in a month or two. :)

Which is exactly why I can't do lists like this anymore.

Hell, I can't even think of 10 albums for a Gilligan's Island situation; I'm basically stuck at 3 (Workbook by Bob Mould, Sister Lovers by Big Star and Murmur by REM) with a few dozen others that go in and out of favor.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT