ADVERTISEMENT

Wyoming prediction thread

Mike isn't happy. It is a direct reflection of where this team is at:

NU 30
WY 23
Myself and others, took a lot of heat for saying trying what they did with Westy could go badly. Despite showering praise on Westy the receiver. Seems like we could better on special teams with an intern or similar - but now is the time to get real; would be a quick all sins forgiven time. GBR

I love the fans that understate expectations by predicting losses and close games. Maybe they really feel that way, but my experience has been that it is a way to manage the potential disappointment.

Wyoming is coming off an OT win over Northern Illinois. They have won 5 games in the past two years combined, have an undersized DLine and by a Wyoming fan's own admission they have 8 guys, MAX, that would even play at Nebraska.
Excuse me, but as a fan for 50 years having attended hundreds of games in Lincoln and other places and having "been there" for many of our greatest victories and most heartbreaking losses, my prediction of a loss was not based on managing disappointment, underestimating expectations, or anything else devious. It is simply this is the kind of game NU begins by sleepwalking through, then when things get serious in the second half, the team starts to force stuff and bad things happen. Mix in looking ahead to next week, this being Wyoming's Superbowl, Wyoming players who felt snubbed by Nebraska, an opposing coach with an axe to grind, a paper-thin Dline, and no evidence our passing game works, and yeah, I'm worried.

Excuse me, but as a fan for 50 years having attended hundreds of games in Lincoln and other places and having "been there" for many of our greatest victories and most heartbreaking losses, my prediction of a loss was not based on managing disappointment, underestimating expectations, or anything else devious. It is simply this is the kind of game NU begins by sleepwalking through, then when things get serious in the second half, the team starts to force stuff and bad things happen. Mix in looking ahead to next week, this being Wyoming's Superbowl, Wyoming players who felt snubbed by Nebraska, an opposing coach with an axe to grind, a paper-thin Dline, and no evidence our passing game works, and yeah, I'm worried.
I respect your prediction and your reasons for it.
But we have the better athletes. If we play clean football those superior athletes will win this game and pull away from Wyoming for a blowout.
But it does hinge on playing a clean game and asserting our dominance early. We have not done that in a while so I can appreciate the opposing view.

Like I said, looking for reasons for a close game or loss. All of the things you mentioned don't have anything to do with the discrepancy in talent and overall skill level of the two teams.

Of course upsets happen and games are closer than they should be on occasion. But if you objectively looked at these two teams, there is no way the game should be with 3 scores. In order for Wyoming to win, all of the things you are worried about would have to happen. As I said, I respect the fact that you are gun shy or don't trust what is going on.

do you think it was an accident Wyoming won last week?

Me? No but they weren't playing a team as talented as Nebraska and it took 3 OTs. Beating Northern Illinois at home in 3OT does not equal beating Nebraska on the road.

I also don't think it was an accident that Illinois beat Murray St or Indiana beat FIU. That doesn't mean Nebraska shouldnt beat both of those teams though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crushinator
I like to look back at The Orlando Sentinel countdown during the season.
They had Northern Illinois at 50 and Nebraska at 35. Wyoming was 117 and Fresno 85.

Thought they were missing the call on Wyoming.

I still like this game because Bohl will run it straight at Nebraska and we'll have a good measure of what we have.

Wyo fan here - enjoying perusing your site ahead of the game.

I'm definitely not going to predict a win on your board, but after seeing Wyoming in person last weekend I can attest that this team is light years ahead of the 2-10 program from a year ago, behind a still young but much more experienced defense, much improved special teams, and an exciting, play making quarterback. My hope is that the Cowboys can keep close to the end and then just see what happens.

I think it'll be closer than people like. But I think we win without too much doubt.

Blowout. Emotional game last week but this week we see way more passing and Armstrong gets 6 total TDs. DPE has a huge return as well.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Blowout. Emotional game last week but this week we see way more passing and Armstrong gets 6 total TDs. DPE has a huge return as well.
I don't think we'll air things out. But we will put it up more to compliment our run game.

Wyo fan here - enjoying perusing your site ahead of the game.

I'm definitely not going to predict a win on your board, but after seeing Wyoming in person last weekend I can attest that this team is light years ahead of the 2-10 program from a year ago, behind a still young but much more experienced defense, much improved special teams, and an exciting, play making quarterback. My hope is that the Cowboys can keep close to the end and then just see what happens.
Are you coming down for the game?

I like your thinking. I just feel like both teams will be playing to shorten the game, keeping the score down a bit.
But our quick strike offense along with probably 2 returns for touchdowns will blow things open. I suspect our run defense will put them in troubling down and distance situations where we should shine. I'm predicting a shutout but a late touchdown isn't outta the question.

Unfortunately, no. I live in Las Vegas - made the trip to Laramie last weekend and couldn't pull off two road trips in a row. Always wanted to see a game in Lincoln, though.

Well I'm offering you good luck to a great season!

Myself and others, took a lot of heat for saying trying what they did with Westy could go badly. Despite showering praise on Westy the receiver. Seems like we could better on special teams with an intern or similar - but now is the time to get real; would be a quick all sins forgiven time. GBR
I felt a lot of the punt return problems were Jordan's fault by not judging where the ball was going to land properly. In that situation, the return guy has to figure that out fast, get into position, and then always catch the ball. Jordan got close, then tried to scrub off multiple times, which can only lead to bad things happening. I do not know if that is a coaching problem or what.

The problem with the punt returns last week is that the Fresno punter was not good. The problem is that if you setup too short, he might kick it over your head and get a big roll and flip the field. They had to play Westercamp almost like a centerfielder and keep everything in front of him. The punter kicked six times for 220 yards.

You must remember the MNC team from back in the day that trailed a mediocre Wyoming team in to the 4th quarter in Lincoln . Nobody gave Wyoming a snowman's chance in hell that day and they almost pulled it off.

Corn 31-20, little bit of a look ahead at Oregon next week.
Coaches don't show a lot on offense or Defense.

I posted Thursday...Nebraska by 35...but someone felt the need to delete it. So...you've taken my moment of being lucky enough to get the point spread exactly as it was. Winking

But our quick strike offense along with probably 2 returns for touchdowns will blow things open. I suspect our run defense will put them in troubling down and distance situations where we should shine. I'm predicting a shutout but a late touchdown isn't outta the question.

Yep.

what prize do I win??

take your pick.

HZGEUCKQUTPOHYK.20130816201514.jpg

They always look better in their stock photo. See them on the field... yikes!
at least they have hair, I remember when we used to have the muscular ones that looked like east german steroid team.
wyoming had a couple good ones

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT