ADVERTISEMENT

Wynden Ho'ohuli decision Saturday for AA (non-game)

nothing wrong with picking up a 4 star recruit but NEB has a dozen highly recruited LBs already on the roster and apparently people still think its a weakness. I've stopped thinking 1 recruit is going to make any difference
Who are these highly recruited LB’s? Only one I can really think of is Heinrich.

Reactions: timnsun
nothing wrong with picking up a 4 star recruit but NEB has a dozen highly recruited LBs already on the roster and apparently people still think its a weakness. I've stopped thinking 1 recruit is going to make any difference
Not counting Honas who may leave now or be gone for Wynden’s RS year, for 4* ILB types, we’ll have Henrich (who may need to help cover OLB), Mauga-Clements (raw/unproven), and Hannah (keeps toggling between ILB/OLB and so far a total bust).
Kpai sounds like may be more OLB, but could be ILB.
Greene was an AA player who quit early like most Floridians.
So the chance to grab another AA player for the second year is more than welcome.

Depth is the name of the game.

all of them are 3 star or better. all of them had multiple offers from legit schools. and there are a ton of them on the roster. Ho'ohuli would be behind a whole bunch of players for quite some time. Everyone was very excited for almost every single LB that is on this roster. Again, if you get 15 LBs that you wanted and you end up only liking a couple then this is a scouting issue. you can't sign 75 new players in 3 years and only like 20 of them. if so, something is very wrong. a lot of these guys were near the top of their lists

Who are these highly recruited LB’s? Only one I can really think of is Heinrich.
Wisconsin wanted Honas pretty badly. Tannor was a 4 star and we had another 4 star who hasn't seen the field. Many of the others are 3 stars who had interest from other schools.

all of them are 3 star or better. all of them had multiple offers from legit schools. and there are a ton of them on the roster. Ho'ohuli would be behind a whole bunch of players for quite some time. Everyone was very excited for almost every single LB that is on this roster. Again, if you get 15 LBs that you wanted and you end up only liking a couple then this is a scouting issue. you can't sign 75 new players in 3 years and only like 20 of them. if so, something is very wrong. a lot of these guys were near the top of their lists
Either that or it's a development issue. I have a hard time believing we get all the misses while some schools hardly ever miss.

Wisconsin wanted Honas pretty badly. Tannor was a 4 star and we had another 4 star who hasn't seen the field. Many of the others are 3 stars who had interest from other schools.
There’s a big difference from interest from other schoolS or being recruited by other schools. We see them as LB while other schools might see them as special team players. Knowing they don’t have the speed or size to truly play LB for the legit top 20 teams.

he was not highly recruited. He was a 4* but plenty of schools passed.
We fall for it every time. When local schools don't recruit them hard but an internet scout sees highlight film and makes him a four star, we always think they are actually four star quality. That goes for roughly half of the four stars Riley & Frost have brought in.

If I'm Ho'ohuli I'm not concerned at all about the numbers...players that aren't going to contribute will be gone and if he is really good...he will get on the field. Most players don't mind competition. IMHO....most great players thrive on it.

There’s a big difference from interest from other schoolS or being recruited by other schools. We see them as LB while other schools might see them as special team players. Knowing they don’t have the speed or size to truly play LB for the legit top 20 teams.
BS, except in rare circumstances, you don't recruit a guy to play special teams.

We do better than most B1G teams every year in recruiting. A few four stars and many three stars. The problem seems to be our one star coaches (who are only three and four star in terms of pay).

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
We do better than most B1G teams every year in recruiting. A few four stars and many three stars. The problem seems to be our one star coaches.
Or the fact that we have had 3 coaches in 7 years and in large part to those coaching transitions, few of those players are still around.

Christ all Friday are we honestly gonna fire up the "stars don't matter" debate already?

Hannah was a 4* LB commit regardless of who you think passed on him or not. EMC was a 4* LB commit. Henrich was a 4* LB commit.

ILB play was solid this year if not mind-blowing. Reimer is super young and he's gonna be a dude, Honas played better and struck well in particular. Miller I don't honestly recall how he was doing before he got hurt. Henrich is a redshirt f***ing freshman and so are Reimer and Hannah.

When are people going to get it through their head that on a normal planet you shouldn't have high expectations of first and second year college football players? You're talking about 18 and 19 year old kids going against 22 year old grown men in a lot of cases.

OLB play improved but that's not saying much. They're still really young and under-talented at OLB and they whiffed again this recruiting cycle IMO. I don't see a light at the end of that tunnel.

Last edited:
OLB play improved but that's not saying much. They're still really young and under-talented at OLB and they whiffed again this recruiting cycle IMO. I don't see a light at the end of that tunnel.

They're gong to have to fill that via the portal. Somehow.

Who knows if he pans out but calling a kid a bust after 2 years is stupid.
I normally agree with this, and Hannah still has time. I think the indicator with Hannah is in a relatively thin LB room, he wasn’t sniffing the two or three deep... with lesser experienced, lower rated guys ahead of him.
Usually the young 4* guys would be on that depth chart somewhere and/or contributing on special teams.
Didn’t hear of any possible injuries, but he’s not listed as having played in any games this year.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
there are so many numbers at LB that youth isnt the problem. PLENTY of other programs play redshirt freshmen and sophs that are solid enough to not be a weakness. i haven't looked at the roster but it seems like NEB has devoted a lot of scholarships to the position. Which positions are actually low in numbers? seems like LB and OL have higher numbers than average

BS, except in rare circumstances, you don't recruit a guy to play special teams.
well, other than kickers and punters..

And you could offer a "special teams warrior" a preferred walkon spot hoping they elevate to something more over their career.

there are so many numbers at LB that youth isnt the problem. PLENTY of other programs play redshirt freshmen and sophs that are solid enough to not be a weakness. i haven't looked at the roster but it seems like NEB has devoted a lot of scholarships to the position. Which positions are actually low in numbers? seems like LB and OL have higher numbers than average
5 scholly ILBs including Honas,
about 6 scholly OLB (depending how you look at it)
not including 2021 kids.

Thinking of a 3 deep x 22 positions giving you only 68 schollys, so there’s room there. Where coaches overstep the allotted distribution sometimes indicates they don’t think the guys they got are getting it done (think David Alston), and they have to pln ahead for upperclassmen to leave.

Rumor is he already signed his LOI early just like Noa Pola-Gates did but wanted to still announce Jan 2
there hasn't been a mention of Ho'ohuli by the other programs in months. his recruitment might have been done last fall. he must really like the coaches. after another disappointing season and a roster full of young LBs and 4 other LBs in this class NEB wouldn't be an obvious choice
some of these young LBs are going to end up transferring when they figure out the next set of starters have 3-4 years of eligibility left

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT