ADVERTISEMENT

WR Kevin Gladney Dismissed from Team

haha ok. I've heard that about Alonzo Moore as well. We'll see. I hope youre correct.

It was probably a bit harsh on my part to say you were wrong. Its your opinion.

I just disagree. The WR corp is in very good shape with good depth. Cethan Carter and Snyder will also be viable receiving option..

It was probably a bit harsh on my part to say you were wrong. Its your opinion.

I just disagree. The WR corp is in very good shape with good depth. Cethan Carter and Snyder will also be viable receiving option..

It's all good. We are on the same team!!! :)

Disappointing. He hadn't shown anything two years, but he got the start for the White team in the spring game and had a nice catch there. I thought he'd maybe give us some depth at least.

Departure of Tolbert, Irons, and Gladney it's getting a little harder to fill out the WR 3-deep at X, Y, and Z. Stanley Morgan has a chance for immediate playing time.

Glad we have at least a couple of early enrollees that I assume can count against our 25 for 2015, this class keeps getting bigger. Hope it doesn't grow much more.

Of course, I keep thinking that it may not be too bad to replace much of the team. I don't want to go 5-6 like Callahan's first year, but there was a lot lacking on Pelini's final team.

Cornicator, can you make me feel better about LB, DE, and OT as well?Winking

No...

But.... I will say if Banderas and Rose can stay healthy all season, the LB position will be better than people think.

I'm not worried about the DE numbers as Mitch as execution. In Banker's scheme, the DEs primary job is to collapse the pocket and be disruptive forces in the backfield.

As for OT, Knevel needs to make a contribution in 2015. His presence could alleviate a lot of concerns.

Gaylord is going to redshirt, but he needs to be ready to step on the field in 2016.

Reactions: Rozier 30
Make no mistake. RIley has a solid reputation for making quality CEO decisions. This isn't high school football.

Well. yeah, but he wouldn't have really had to make this CEO type move. We were already 3 under the scholly limit. There aren't a whole lot of reasons to get further under at this point in the year. If this was a "cutting him" thing, I think it would have either been earlier in the year, or early next year.

No...

But.... I will say if Banderas and Rose can stay healthy all season, the LB position will be better than people think.

I'm not worried about the DE numbers as Mitch as execution. In Banker's scheme, the DEs primary job is to collapse the pocket and be disruptive forces in the backfield.

As for OT, Knevel needs to make a contribution in 2015. His presence could alleviate a lot of concerns.

Gaylord is going to redshirt, but he needs to be ready to step on the field in 2016.

The more I hear about Banker's 'D' the more I like it. Hopefully, he can get better results with a better caliber of player, because on paper his philosophy seems to be one I'm a much bigger fan of than Bo's. I abso-freaking-lutely hated Pelini's defensive line approach. And then I look at the actual production from Bankers' defenses the last few years and start to get REALLLY nervous.

Of course, I keep thinking that it may not be too bad to replace much of the team. I don't want to go 5-6 like Callahan's first year, but there was a lot lacking on Pelini's final team.

I don't think there's any chance we go 5-6 next year. People forget how bare the cupboard was in Callahan's first year talentwise. They forget because we were coming off a fluke 10-3 season and Solich had made the cupboards pretty bare for a number of years, but we had so little talent at the skill positions it would have been hilarious if it hadn't been us. I mean, I loved Corey Ross, but the fact that he started as much as he did.....

Well you're just wrong.

Something interesting I heard about Alonzo Moore:

The coaches believe he struggles catching the football in traffic. They plan on getting him the football in space, behind the line of scrimmage, on sweeps, and out of play action where he is isolated in man coverage.

I don't think it's a secret that Alonzo Moore is a fantastic athlete, but has dropped too many passes for him to be a reliable receiver downfield. If the coaches can figure out what Moore does well and get him the ball in those situations, that's a great thing.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
They aren't going to be guys that stretch the field but I'm a fan of Hovey and Bailey.

Well. yeah, but he wouldn't have really had to make this CEO type move. We were already 3 under the scholly limit. There aren't a whole lot of reasons to get further under at this point in the year. If this was a "cutting him" thing, I think it would have either been earlier in the year, or early next year.

If he is just "cut" does he stay on scholarship?

I agree to an extent. Bodies don't equal depth. Both Allen and Turner are seniors but I don't expect much from them as they haven't done anything in the 3-4 years of being here. Alonzo Moore needs to step up big, IMO. Burtch and Hovey are serviceable and Alston/Morgan should be able to contribute as much as the rest of walkons. We need WR's in this class big which could include a Juco. I wasn't comfortable with WR depth before the departure of Gladney, Irons, and Tolbert as I thought they were bogus offers and have been clear about my opinion of each of those players from the beginning.

I have to agree with Corn here.

How can one hold the position that bodies don't equal depth and you don't expect much from the seniors because they haven't done anything, and yet hold up Gladney as the key to the depth issue? He basically is a body that hasn't done anything, so the basis of comfort for him is that he's a warm body that can put a uniform on if needed.

The more I hear about Banker's 'D' the more I like it. Hopefully, he can get better results with a better caliber of player, because on paper his philosophy seems to be one I'm a much bigger fan of than Bo's. I abso-freaking-lutely hated Pelini's defensive line approach. And then I look at the actual production from Bankers' defenses the last few years and start to get REALLLY nervous.

I think Banker is a roll of the dice. He seems to have the idea on paper, but it'll remain to be seen what he can do with our quality of athletes.

In particular, I don't think a school like OSU ever had the depth of secondary talent we had or all that much luck in attracting quality corners. Riley and Co seem to be much happier with the amount of stuff they have to work with in the secondary and on the OL in particular.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I think Banker is a roll of the dice. He seems to have the idea on paper, but it'll remain to be seen what he can do with our quality of athletes.

In particular, I don't think a school like OSU ever had the depth of secondary talent we had or all that much luck in attracting quality corners. Riley and Co seem to be much happier with the amount of stuff they have to work with in the secondary and on the OL in particular.

And that's why I'm pretty excited to see the team this year. If the defense's problem really was a lack of athletes, this year might be a sight to see, even though our team is having a "lack of body" problems right now.

How can one hold the position that bodies don't equal depth and you don't expect much from the seniors because they haven't done anything, and yet hold up Gladney as the key to the depth issue? He basically is a body that hasn't done anything, so the basis of comfort for him is that he's a warm body that can put a uniform on if needed.
To your point, in an article about a dismissed player, they had to use a pic of him catching a pass from the spring game ; because in multiple real games, he had never caught one... We have a few who have had injuries - who can now contribute; the coaches know who is bringing it with attitude. They can review film, Spring experience with the players - also these guys are doing various work outs and activities in the summer, doubt there are a lot of secrets out there.

I love his theories and his recruiting goals. I think his system is trying for a physical edge, not just mental. Also, we have a wealth of D coaching talent to aid him - many have covered this. The ability to make quick game adjustments; is going to be a dramatic and welcome change. Just one example; we dominate Wisc early and then get absolutely run out of the stadium in multiple categories / Bo knows

I never said anything about Gladney being a key to anything. Basically what I was saying is we had poor depth before the departure of those 3 WR's because they didn't offer anything. Alston and Morgan as true frosh will be able to offer as much as those players dismissed. Bodies don't equal depth. It's the quality of the body which equals depth. We had little quality before the departure and lost nothing from the departure as the abilities of true frosh offer as much imo. Regardless, I'm not excited about our depth at all particularly, because Allen and Turner haven't provided much of anything to this program and now each has to learn a new offense which, frankly, hasn't been a strong suit for either player.

Too much football talk going on in this thread. Feels weird.
LOL . Nice; I would add , though comments some make about some receivers that remain may seem harsh; they may reflect previous performance. On positive note, whether its on or off field issues; many are getting a better opportunity elsewhere. The O C / qb coach has assigned a routine of all the plays and routes and footwork to the qb's and receivers; as stated, almost like you would perform a concert - this is no doubt providing a true learning experience and muscle memory: and maybe exposing some things.,,, IMO ( and theirs ) the receivers can handle the reps; WE will have one or two exceed expectations with the new coach; and many pick us to have as good a corp as any in the B!G barring injuries . GBR

Last edited:
Other than your unnecessary condescending tone, thanks. Dude.

Hahaha sorry. There are some additional things going around in other conversations but I'm not speculating on any of it which is what I'd be doing if I did repeat it. I will say the culture dipshit and his minions created needs some accountability.

Reactions: HuskerO
I can't imagine that you use the word "dismissed" unless something happene
Lol.... Nebraska is not hurting for wide receiver depth.

And there is a prominent poster on the Scrolls who sees the players daily. He believes Stanley Morgan is going to be a Superstar.

Gladney was literally last string. I believe Riley cut him.. It's that simple. The players are surprised because that stuff hasn't happene much.

In 2015 you have:

Jamal Turner
Westerkamp
Alonzo Moore
DPE
Brandon Riley
Tariq Allen
Sam Burtch
Lane Hovey
Stanley Morgan
Lavon Alston
Bailey

Walk on Bailey and Ty Betka are even better options than Gladney.

Jamal Turner is the only receiver Nebraska loses. Sam Burtch might be an injury casualty? But thats premature right now. Nebraska is also in on a couple 4 Star wideouts for 2016.

That positition is going to be fine.
I don't think you use the term "dismissed" unless there was something that did happen or wasn't happening that led to his dismissal. Might have been nothing more than missing workouts. IMO, Riley's staff and our captains are going to hold people accountable. Lewis impresses me as throwback to the old attitude of getting things done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT