ADVERTISEMENT

WR Kevin Gladney Dismissed from Team

Common courtesy? From .............. Oh I get it, it was a joke and the tongue in cheek emoticon is inserted here.

Boy I can't wait for the season to get here.

Always ruining a good time. Taking away my laser pointer in a room full of playfull kittens.

Not trying to be a Dick at all but you have made your point numerous times and think it is best we move on to greener pastures.

Not trying to be a Dick at all but you have made your point numerous times and think it is best we move on to greener pastures.
I get it. I bet you are getting emails from people who feel the need to complain because they can't handle crap flung back at them. That's too bad. Carry on.

I get it. I bet you are getting emails from people who feel the need to complain because they can't handle crap flung back at them. That's too bad. Carry on.

Actually zero emails. I came up with my opinion all by myself.

81 scholarships.

0 career catches.

10 of 25 from 2013 class no longer on the team.

I wonder if it was a decision based on attitude or if there was not a chance of him being productive?

What's going on? Someone must have noticed playing time would be very little if any or is being processed. Is what it is.

Reactions: bvkley
I hope the best for Gladney.

Cleaning house, personal decision, not cutting it...I don't know.

Disappointing. He hadn't shown anything two years, but he got the start for the White team in the spring game and had a nice catch there. I thought he'd maybe give us some depth at least.

Departure of Tolbert, Irons, and Gladney it's getting a little harder to fill out the WR 3-deep at X, Y, and Z. Stanley Morgan has a chance for immediate playing time.

Glad we have at least a couple of early enrollees that I assume can count against our 25 for 2015, this class keeps getting bigger. Hope it doesn't grow much more.

Josh Mitchell and Chongo Kondolo having an interesting back and forth on Twitter about this.

Josh Mitchell and Chongo Kondolo having an interesting back and forth on Twitter about this.
Do you think he's 'shaking his head' because of MR letting players go for not very good reasons or because certain players need to get their acts together?

Disappointing. He hadn't shown anything two years, but he got the start for the White team in the spring game and had a nice catch there. I thought he'd maybe give us some depth at least.

Departure of Tolbert, Irons, and Gladney it's getting a little harder to fill out the WR 3-deep at X, Y, and Z. Stanley Morgan has a chance for immediate playing time.

Glad we have at least a couple of early enrollees that I assume can count against our 25 for 2015, this class keeps getting bigger. Hope it doesn't grow much more.

I don't think you lose anything replacing players who never contributed in the first place. My guess is the staff feels comfortable enough with the abilities of Morgan and Alston but I think a bigger message is being sent to players about the way the conduct themselves off the field. The kind of much needed accountability unnoticed by the clown show.

What makes you say that? Do you know something was happening or are you just not surprised because of his position on the depth chart?

I think he realized he was not going to see the field, nothing more to this than that IMHO.

Gladney was "dismissed". That's not a word used for the other departures. I think this is more than just Gladney not rising the depth chart. And I thought I read somewhere he had some academic all Big-10 honors, so it probably isn't grades.
Anyway, as a now former Husker, I hope he gets his act together and does well for himself. But something about this smells.

I don't think you lose anything replacing players who never contributed in the first place. My guess is the staff feels comfortable enough with the abilities of Morgan and Alston but I think a bigger message is being sent to players about the way the conduct themselves off the field. The kind of much needed accountability unnoticed by the clown show.

If you'd rather see us clear the decks of a guy who was very unlikely to ever be a star for us, who probably would top out as solid backup and special teams player, I get that.

We do lose some depth here, though. Our WR recruits in 2013 and 2014 were Dixon, Gladney, Harrison, Tolbert, Irons, and Pierson-El. Out of those 6, 5 are gone or never made it. We'll need Alston and Morgan (and maybe Christian Bailey) to work out for us or WR could be very thin or very young in a couple years.

Gladney was "dismissed". That's not a word used for the other departures. I think this is more than just Gladney not rising the depth chart. And I thought I read somewhere he had some academic all Big-10 honors, so it probably isn't grades.
Anyway, as a now former Husker, I hope he gets his act together and does well for himself. But something about this smells.

Don`t know for sure but the guys on RSS that know him say it is not trouble related.

Gladney aside, I think what we're seeing is somewhat expected. Riley is installing his "culture" just as our previous coaches have. I actually see this as an encouraging development. Although Riley says all the right things, it's pretty clear that he and his staff weren't just blowing smoke about wanting to succeed at the highest levels. Riley recruited Stanton hard, for example, but there is no sentimentality about cleaning up the roster. Like it or hate it, our staff is acting with a focus.

Lol.... Nebraska is not hurting for wide receiver depth.

And there is a prominent poster on the Scrolls who sees the players daily. He believes Stanley Morgan is going to be a Superstar.

Gladney was literally last string. I believe Riley cut him.. It's that simple. The players are surprised because that stuff hasn't happene much.

In 2015 you have:

Jamal Turner
Westerkamp
Alonzo Moore
DPE
Brandon Riley
Tariq Allen
Sam Burtch
Lane Hovey
Stanley Morgan
Lavon Alston
Bailey

Walk on Bailey and Ty Betka are even better options than Gladney.

Jamal Turner is the only receiver Nebraska loses. Sam Burtch might be an injury casualty? But thats premature right now. Nebraska is also in on a couple 4 Star wideouts for 2016.

That positition is going to be fine.

Reactions: arf_man

And there is a prominent poster on the Scrolls who sees the players daily. He believes Stanley Morgan is going to be a Superstar.

Gladney was literally last string. I believe Riley cut him.. It's that simple. The players are surprised because that stuff hasn't happene much.

In 2015 you have:

Jamal Turner
Westerkamp
Alonzo Moore
DPE
Brandon Riley
Tariq Allen
Sam Burtch
Lane Hovey
Stanley Morgan
Lavon Alston
Bailey

Jamal Turner is the only receiver Nebraska loses. Sam Burtch might be an injury casualty? But thats premature right now. Nebraska is also in on a couple 4 Star wideouts for 2016.

Really appreciate the information and the perspective you bring to the board Cornicator!

Reactions: Cornicator

In 2015 you have:

Jamal Turner
Westerkamp
Alonzo Moore
DPE
Brandon Riley
Tariq Allen
Sam Burtch
Lane Hovey
Stanley Morgan
Lavon Alston
Bailey

I agree to an extent. Bodies don't equal depth. Both Allen and Turner are seniors but I don't expect much from them as they haven't done anything in the 3-4 years of being here. Alonzo Moore needs to step up big, IMO. Burtch and Hovey are serviceable and Alston/Morgan should be able to contribute as much as the rest of walkons. We need WR's in this class big which could include a Juco. I wasn't comfortable with WR depth before the departure of Gladney, Irons, and Tolbert as I thought they were bogus offers and have been clear about my opinion of each of those players from the beginning.

I agree to an extent. Bodies don't equal depth. Both Allen and Turner are seniors but I don't expect much from them as they haven't done anything in the 3-4 years of being here. Alonzo Moore needs to step up big, IMO. Burtch and Hovey are serviceable and Alston/Morgan should be able to contribute as much as the rest of walkons. We need WR's in this class big which could include a Juco. I wasn't comfortable with WR depth before the departure of Gladney, Irons, and Tolbert as I thought they were bogus offers and have been clear about my opinion of each of those players from the beginning.

Well you're just wrong.

The WR position is in excellent shape and deeper than just about every other WR Unit in the Big Ten with the exception of Penn State.

Something interesting I heard about Alonzo Moore:

The coaches believe he struggles catching the football in traffic. They plan on getting him the football in space, behind the line of scrimmage, on sweeps, and out of play action where he is isolated in man coverage.

We all think DPE will be used on the Jet Sweep. I think he will, but Alonzo Moore might be a better option.

Gladney aside, I think what we're seeing is somewhat expected. Riley is installing his "culture" just as our previous coaches have. I actually see this as an encouraging development. Although Riley says all the right things, it's pretty clear that he and his staff weren't just blowing smoke about wanting to succeed at the highest levels. Riley recruited Stanton hard, for example, but there is no sentimentality about cleaning up the roster. Like it or hate it, our staff is acting with a focus.
Yep...overall this is a good thing. You either buy into their culture or not. Riley is now the sheriff and someone has to make these calls.

Well you're just wrong.

The WR position is in excellent shape and deeper than just about every other WR Unit in the Big Ten with the exception of Penn State.

Something interesting I heard about Alonzo Moore:

The coaches believe he struggles catching the football in traffic. They plan on getting him the football in space, behind the line of scrimmage, on sweeps, and out of play action where he is isolated in man coverage.

We all think DPE will be used on the Jet Sweep. I think he will, but Alonzo Moore might be a better option.
haha ok. I've heard that about Alonzo Moore as well. We'll see. I hope youre correct.

I believe Riley cut him.. It's that simple. The players are surprised because that stuff hasn't happene much.

It would surprise me if MR would actually cut a player as long as they stayed out of trouble, were getting good grades and tried hard in practice. He just doesn't come off like that kind of head coach. Also wouldn't that possibly hurt his trust to his players?

But maybe that's what big boy football programs do?

It would surprise me if MR would actually cut a player as long as they stayed out of trouble, were getting good grades and tried hard in practice. He just doesn't come off like that kind of head coach. Also wouldn't that possibly hurt his trust to his players?

But maybe that's what big boy football programs do?

Make no mistake. RIley has a solid reputation for making quality CEO decisions. This isn't high school football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT