ADVERTISEMENT

Wistrom

Yep. They let it play out until the kid they wanted to win the job was able to win the job. They made their bed and now they get to lie in it.

They need 2 QBs this cycle now and they're in a REALLY tough spot trying to sell a JUCO or a grad transfer guy that he can come in and take the job from the freshman they anointed last year to space out their scholarships.
thats a pretty big accusation that the competition was not fair and gebbia was not given a fair shot - In fact I call BS on that, these coaches will play the guy that gives them the best shot to win why would they not

I agree that there is no need to call someone out on social media. I saw the tweet more as a statement about a parent enabling/coddling his kid as opposed to emasculating the kid himself. I said before that I don’t have a problem with transfers as I don’t know any of the individuals involved or the circumstances and it really has no bearing on me whatsoever, so I just don’t really care what they do. I think it is always prudent to take into consideration what is in your own best interest as well as considering others when making decisions. Life is too short to spend it being miserable. The difficulty comes for most of us, especially young adults without the wisdom that comes with age, in recognizing that sometimes what is best for us involves service to others and sacrifice for the greater cause. Sometimes the rewards come in the long term and not in the short, and that view is clouded at best. Now, does that kind of service and sacrifice lead to a career in the NFL? Probably not. But perhaps there are life lessons and life experiences that are rewards that last a lifetime and lead to other opportunities. If it were my son, I would suggest that he stay on the team, accept his role and work as hard as he can to expand that role, and do what he can to help the team be successful. At the end of the season, evaluate where he is at, where he wants to go, and if he can get to where he wants to go in his current situation. Then make a decision regarding a transfer. I don’t know if that is the right answer. I don’t know if there necessarily is a right or wrong answer. So while I probably would have handled it differently than TG’s dad, I don’t know that it is wrong for them to try their luck elsewhere. It does put the team in a bind this season though, there is no denying that.

you know I hate to jump on this entitled bandwagon thing for the younger generation - but there has been a significant shift in parenting and how kids then view things - it is not for the better to be sure

This is BS.

WIstrom saw his opening, most likely an upperclassman beat him out (am sure someone can confirm this) and he was in-line to play, given development/improvement.

Gebbia is riding pine the rest of his career, barring an injury to Martinez, so he moves on. Anyone care to challenge that argument?

Life is full of unselfish people who get used up by the system or end up doing what other people want, instead of what they want. You do what you have to do to succeed.

And Wistrom did just that. GBR

Reactions: kakdawg
thats a pretty big accusation that the competition was not fair and gebbia was not given a fair shot - In fact I call BS on that, these coaches will play the guy that gives them the best shot to win why would they not
I'm not saying it was unfair, I'm saying you were never comparing apples to apples. For as much as I ripped Hoosker Du for railing on how AM's running ability would tip the scales, he was dead right. The subtle noise coming out of camp about the QB battle has all been, "Yeah but you should see the kid run it."

I think they saw him as the true future of the offense and Gebbia as still just a little bit of a square peg in a round hole. That allure of upside is everywhere in sports, the NFL isn't immune to it and probably neither is this staff. TG at his peak was gonna be very good in this system. Think Joey Ganz in 2008. If AM could reach his peak and consistently play there, you're talking Mariota comparisons.

I think they wanted to get him out there and start developing that and they didn't think that TG wasn't gonna be attending that show until they could get some round pegs signed.

id venture to guess that some of the people riding this kid have quit something before and have some insecurity about it.

i can count the number of people i know in my life that havent quit something on my 3rd index finger.

I'm not saying it was unfair, I'm saying you were never comparing apples to apples. For as much as I ripped Hoosker Du for railing on how AM's running ability would tip the scales, he was dead right. The subtle noise coming out of camp about the QB battle has all been, "Yeah but you should see the kid run it."

I think they saw him as the true future of the offense and Gebbia as still just a little bit of a square peg in a round hole. That allure of upside is everywhere in sports, the NFL isn't immune to it and probably neither is this staff. TG at his peak was gonna be very good in this system. Think Joey Ganz in 2008. If AM could reach his peak and consistently play there, you're talking Mariota comparisons.

I think they wanted to get him out there and start developing that and they didn't think that TG wasn't gonna be attending that show until they could get some round pegs signed.
I agree with what you posted here - I was responding to the previous post which used phrases such "Made their bed and have to lay in it" and "anointed one" - I think they would have named Gebbia if he was clearly the better passer as this is a pass first offense. But the added feature of running is certainly a plus for Martinez. Both are freshmen so whoever they named they would have had the issue of a recruiting gap

Did Wistrom tell Frost,

Frost: They want me to play DB so I am transferring.

Mr. Frost: Shut up, no your not. Earn your playing time.

Frost: OK

Not fair...Frost wanted to be an NFL qb, he went to play for the great Qb coach in NFL history and arguably the greatest coach in the history of football. He realized he didn't have the talent to be a pro qb and returned...completely differet than a kid leaving a blue blood program like NU with the best staff in the nation and going to OSU where they have a new staff, especially when the person in front of you is a true frosh with no game experience and a history of devastating injuries. But Wistrom is also not fair...qb is a position with no mirror on the field, only one guy can play it, and it is a rhythm position. DEs can play 3 or 4 places on the field...some can move to LB if needed, some can play in specialty roles or Sts...some can move to TE. TG was only going to be a qb, and that is it.

Not fair...Frost wanted to be an NFL qb, he went to play for the great Qb coach in NFL history and arguably the greatest coach in the history of football. He realized he didn't have the talent to be a pro qb and returned...completely differet than a kid leaving a blue blood program like NU with the best staff in the nation and going to OSU where they have a new staff, especially when the person in front of you is a true frosh with no game experience and a history of devastating injuries. But Wistrom is also not fair...qb is a position with no mirror on the field, only one guy can play it, and it is a rhythm position. DEs can play 3 or 4 places on the field...some can move to LB if needed, some can play in specialty roles or Sts...some can move to TE. TG was only going to be a qb, and that is it.

See post 21 in this thread.

Wistrom may have been one of the GHOAT, but I fail to see the reason to pile on the kid like that. I think that was a BS move, personally. How does Wistrom know the conversation didn't go something like this:

TG: Dad, they said AM is going to be the starter, but I love it here and I committed to support AM and the team, and to continue to work hard. I think I will get a chance eventually.

Dad: Bullsh*t. I didn't spend tens of thousands of dollars on all those camps and running you all over the state for you to be a back-up quarterback. I've already talked to Coach ________, and he says he has a spot for you. They run a pro-style offense and that's what is going to get you into the NFL. Pack you bags, I'm coming to pick you up.

TG: But, dad . . .

Dad: Don't but, dad me. You let the coaches know that's your decision and I will see you soon.

TG: OK

So, really, piling on a kid whose situation was not remotely similar to your situation, when you don't even know who really made the decision is NOT the Husker Way, IMO. But, that's just me.

Wistrom may have been one of the GHOAT, but I fail to see the reason to pile on the kid like that. I think that was a BS move, personally. How does Wistrom know the conversation didn't go something like this:

TG: Dad, they said AM is going to be the starter, but I love it here and I committed to support AM and the team, and to continue to work hard. I think I will get a chance eventually.

Dad: Bullsh*t. I didn't spend tens of thousands of dollars on all those camps and running you all over the state for you to be a back-up quarterback. I've already talked to Coach ________, and he says he has a spot for you. They run a pro-style offense and that's what is going to get you into the NFL. Pack you bags, I'm coming to pick you up.

TG: But, dad . . .

Dad: Don't but, dad me. You let the coaches know that's your decision and I will see you soon.

TG: OK

So, really, piling on a kid whose situation was not remotely similar to your situation, when you don't even know who really made the decision is NOT the Husker Way, IMO. But, that's just me.
He could have told his dad no... With how fast he was ready to leave after not being named starter, don't think this is how it went down. He already knew well beforehand he was going to leave if he didn't get the starting job.

He could have told his dad no... With how fast he was ready to leave after not being named starter, don't think this is how it went down. He already knew well beforehand he was going to leave if he didn't get the starting job.

What does that change? Did he not try as hard because he had a contingency? Did he purposely sabotage the Nebraska program by half assing the last month? Did he and Smith from Oregon St have a deal in place so Oregon St would hold an open scholarship just for him?

What does that change? Did he not try as hard because he had a contingency? Did he purposely sabotage the Nebraska program by half assing the last month? Did he and Smith from Oregon St have a deal in place so Oregon St would hold an open scholarship just for him?
His leaving a week before the season did hurt the team, and would hurt it quite drastically if Martinez goes down. The problem is he had a contingency. If you are truly committed to this team, you don't have a contingency plan to leave if things don't go your way. About OSU, no I don't think that. I think it's one of the few schools he could transfer to at this point.

His leaving a week before the season did hurt the team, and would hurt it quite drastically if Martinez goes down. The problem is he had a contingency. If you are truly committed to this team, you don't have a contingency plan to leave if things don't go your way. About OSU, no I don't think that. I think it's one of the few schools he could transfer to at this point.

So why is it Gebbia's fault that there is only 1 scholarship QB on the roster? That is what could hurt the team.

I think you are mad that there is only 1 eligible scholarship QB on the roster and you are taking it out on Gebbia. If everything else is the same, Gebbia and Martinez are neck and neck to start, but Nebraska has Vedral available and Terry Wilson on the roster, no one cares if Gebbia makes the same decision and the timing is the same.

The only thing I can counter with on that is. Vedral was already beat out for the job a year prior. Can argue he followed Frost here. Lee if I remember right got a new coach and transferred before any qb battle even took place. I don't think anyone is mad that Gebbia transferred. I think it is the timing that has people mad. If he would have transferred after Frost was hire, or after spring game. Or even after the year played out, I don't see people having as big of issue with it.
Correctamunbo

So why is it Gebbia's fault that there is only 1 scholarship QB on the roster? That is what could hurt the team.

I think you are mad that there is only 1 eligible scholarship QB on the roster and you are taking it out on Gebbia. If everything else is the same, Gebbia and Martinez are neck and neck to start, but Nebraska has Vedral available and Terry Wilson on the roster, no one cares if Gebbia makes the same decision and the timing is the same.
He also misled the coaches. He knew there were already depth problems at the qb spot and him leaving would make it even worse but decided to pull this with no indication he was leaving. The problem is he thought about noone but himself and didn't care how much it hurt the team.

He also misled the coaches. He knew there were already depth problems at the qb spot and him leaving would make it even worse but decided to pull this with no indication he was leaving. The problem is he thought about noone but himself and didn't care how much it hurt the team.

The point is that getting depth is not his job. One person leaving should not kill depth.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Gebbia strongly felt he won the competition and felt he would be the starter. When he was told that Martinez would be starting he was also told the Martinez fit what the staff was looking for overall better than Gebbia did . Especially for the next four years. At this time Gebbia felt he was not going to see the field very much and based on words said about the fact Martinez would have a long leash I would say he was right. As I stated day one if any of us were in his shoes we most likely make the same decision Tristan made and left as he did !

Reactions: SOCALHSKR and kaz36
Gebbia strongly felt he won the competition and felt he would be the starter. When he was told that Martinez would be starting he was also told the Martinez fit what the staff was looking for overall better than Gebbia did . Especially for the next four years. At this time Gebbia felt he was not going to see the field very much and based on words said about the fact Martinez would have a long leash I would say he was right. As I stated day one if any of us were in his shoes we most likely make the same decision Tristan made and left as he did !

I was with you until you said if any of us were in his shoes.

I'm not understanding this whole discussion. People say,

1. Anyone would have left if they were in Gebbia's shoes because if Martinez stays healthy the job is his.

2. Frost should have brought in another quality quarterback!

IF anyone would leave if they were in Gebbia's shoes, why would a quality qb come to a place where it is readily apparent that either Armstrong or Gebbia were going to be the starter for the next four years? And if a quality qb did come, why would he still be here if he found out he was going to be 3rd string?

I'm not understanding this whole discussion. People say,

1. Anyone would have left if they were in Gebbia's shoes because if Martinez stays healthy the job is his.

2. Frost should have brought in another quality quarterback!

IF anyone would leave if they were in Gebbia's shoes, why would a quality qb come to a place where it is readily apparent that either Armstrong or Gebbia were going to be the starter for the next four years? And if a quality qb did come, why would he still be here if he found out he was going to be 3rd string?

1 - Specifically Gebbia's shoes, not necessarily every other QB's shoes.
2 - In hind sight, yes getting an additional DT QB would probably have been wise.

Not numbered comment - I think you meant Martinez not Armstrong,

I think you misunderstand the comment "in Gebbia's shoes". Those shoes being a QB, that isn't a perfect fit for the offense, that wasn't recruited by the current staff, and had been in a head to head QB battle for 8 months in Lincoln.

It seems pretty specific to the QB position. If you look at how some of these QB prospects are cultivated now, it makes a lot of sense.

Funny how we didn't have any problems with Tanner Lee or Noah Vedral and their loyalties or call them "entitled" when they came to NU.

Archie Manning did a great interview a while back, don't recall if it was Golic & Wingo or if it was the Chicago station I was listening to, but he talked about how these kids are groomed, recruited, and promised the moon from the time they're 7th and 8th graders as QBs. Archie said they started the passing academy when Peyton was in college because at that time a lot of QBs really didn't have anything like that to develop them. Most kids were still multi-sport athletes and they weren't spending all year every year training one position for one sport.

But they sure as hell are now.

I would compare it almost to Olympic hopefuls and how they move around if they don't think they're getting the caliber of training and opportunities to reach the kid's alleged potential. Hell, I hear all about the drama with youth and HS club teams and how "the good kids" all up and quit some coach and move to another team the next season.

If your kid moved around positions in HS and was pretty good by his senior year and now he's 3rd string at guard, that's one thing. If you've invested thousands into making him an NFL QB since he was 12 and 13 and was an Elite 11 kid, I get it. You're not going to have him sit at a school that just gave a kid the job because of his running ability to see if he can get his chance to break the mold if the starter gets hurt or sucks.

You're gonna find him a new school where the offense matches his training and his skillset. It's just different for QBs. Don't have to like it, but that's the fact.

People keep saying Martinez got the job because, "It's just different" when he runs the ball.
Gebbia can't go get on the grind and emerge next year as a gifted runner. You either have that or you don't. I thought the staff wouldn't place a huge premium on that but obviously I was wrong.

Grant had all the tools to be a great rush end, but as a freshman he wasn't big and strong enough or experienced enough to beat out two seniors in Jones and Harris who were grownass men. But he had all the skills and he was a match for the system at that WDE spot. They didn't turn him into a 5 tech and have him mush rush and 2-gap on every play and be like, "Whelp, maybe you should have wanted it more." when a guy who was a prototype 3-4 end beat him out.
I agree, they pretty much said he’s the emergency option for life since he isn’t going to be a sprinter all of a sudden.

It would only get tougher from here with more fast guys like mccaffrey & Smothers. I can’t blame him, he’d just drop another spot on the depth chart each year based on those requirements(possibly more with Vedral).

We need to somehow survive this year. Next year we add Vedral - which gives us a servicable 3 deep

The only way we add a quality JUCO or grad transfer is if Martinez has a serious injury or skills are severely lacking

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
We need to somehow survive this year. Next year we add Vedral - which gives us a servicable 3 deep

The only way we add a quality JUCO or grad transfer is if Martinez has a serious injury or skills are severely lacking
Agree, we aren’t adding quality jucos if we have a good true freshman starting.

1 - Specifically Gebbia's shoes, not necessarily every other QB's shoes.
2 - In hind sight, yes getting an additional DT QB would probably have been wise.

Not numbered comment - I think you meant Martinez not Armstrong,

I think you misunderstand the comment "in Gebbia's shoes". Those shoes being a QB, that isn't a perfect fit for the offense, that wasn't recruited by the current staff, and had been in a head to head QB battle for 8 months in Lincoln.
Thanks for the correction.

I get we could talk about fit. However, do you really think Gebbia stays put if he sees himself as being a dual threat qb knowing that the job is Martinez's barring really bad play or injury? I think he still flies the coup. I believe the issue is that he thinks he won't really play vs. he is not a fit for the system. If the issue really is about being 2nd string behind a freshman than that should be the same issue for any other quality qbs who think they could be starting somewhere else.

Thanks for the correction.

I get we could talk about fit. However, do you really think Gebbia stays put if he sees himself as being a dual threat qb knowing that the job is Martinez's barring really bad play or injury? I think he still flies the coup. I believe the issue is that he thinks he won't really play vs. he is not a fit for the system. If the issue really is about being 2nd string behind a freshman than that should be the same issue for any other quality qbs who think they could be starting somewhere else.

You are using one of the criteria at a time to make your case and not looking at all of them, at the same time. For Gebbia it was exact fit, it was knowing Martinez was a true freshman, it was knowing he wasn't recruited by the current staff, it was about playing, All of those things added together is why I would assume he made the decision.

As I've said before, there are players that are ok with not playing in games, or playing in spot duty. Look at Noah Vedral, he is going to be a career backup, baring injury, for his whole career.

This is not specific to Gebbia or even QBs. Look at all the kids from Nebraska high schools that went to smaller P5, FCS or DII schools and didn't walk on at Nebraska. Money is also a factor, but the reality is kids want to play in games, so they go where they will play.

We can go round and round about this all season long. Saying "if I was in his shoes I would do the same thing" doesn't mean that everyone should do the same thing. It just means that is what I would have done. So I get why he made the decision he made.

You are using one of the criteria at a time to make your case and not looking at all of them, at the same time. For Gebbia it was exact fit, it was knowing Martinez was a true freshman, it was knowing he wasn't recruited by the current staff, it was about playing, All of those things added together is why I would assume he made the decision.

As I've said before, there are players that are ok with not playing in games, or playing in spot duty. Look at Noah Vedral, he is going to be a career backup, baring injury, for his whole career.

This is not specific to Gebbia or even QBs. Look at all the kids from Nebraska high schools that went to smaller P5, FCS or DII schools and didn't walk on at Nebraska. Money is also a factor, but the reality is kids want to play in games, so they go where they will play.

We can go round and round about this all season long. Saying "if I was in his shoes I would do the same thing" doesn't mean that everyone should do the same thing. It just means that is what I would have done. So I get why he made the decision he made.
I hear what you are saying but I don't think Gebbia's decision has anything to do with fit. He was 2nd string behind a freshman. He could have been the perfect fit and I think he still would have left.

This is why I believe it's silly to blame Frost for not getting another quality qb. If a quality qb like Gebbia didn't want to be 2nd string with a chance to play with an injury or some poor performances by the starter, what quality qb was going to come here and be 3rd string behind two freshman?

You find another QB like Vedral. They are out there if you look. Where do you think Bunch came from? He was behind 2 freshmen. Betting if I looked very hard I could come up with quite a few examples..

I hear what you are saying but I don't think Gebbia's decision has anything to do with fit. He was 2nd string behind a freshman. He could have been the perfect fit and I think he still would have left.

This is why I believe it's silly to blame Frost for not getting another quality qb. If a quality qb like Gebbia didn't want to be 2nd string with a chance to play with an injury or some poor performances by the starter, what quality qb was going to come here and be 3rd string behind two freshman?

Fit is an issue because the QBs that will be coming in next year and the year after are a better fits. He was 2nd string as a freshman, and probably would have been second string as a sophomore and probably 3rd string as junior.

I never blamed Frost for not getting another QB, I just said in hindsight, it might have been a good idea. If you read my posting history, you will see that I was against pursuing Burrow, I don't think Terry Wilson would have been an upgrade to Bunch, and I was never a fan of the kid who transferred from Arizona to Indiana and then quit them too.

I'm not exactly sure what people expect out of Gebbia. The guy plays a position that is woefully understaffed in the sport as a whole at all levels of play.

In the NFL probably only a third of teams have a good QB starting for them, at best half. In college the problem is worse you have a hundred and some teams and not nearly that many talented kids.

Is Gebbia really supposed to be happy carrying a clipboard for an offense that isn't really built around his skillset?

I'll tell you this much...if you were the only energy finance major for a thousand miles around and some nuke plant offered you a seven figure salary to switch jobs no one is sticking around in their cubicle and staring at a ceiling out of some undying devotion to the company that gave them their first break.

It's supply and demand folks. Nebraska was still overwhelmingly Republicans last time I was there :)

Reactions: SOCALHSKR
Theres a reason he's the one with a statue outside the stadium.

Without trying to be too much of a shithead here he has a statue because he died in a tragic way.

No one has built or is going to build a statue of Monte Christo or any other QB who stepped in and won us a few key games and was also a great guy in an even more hopeless roster situation than Brook.

Reactions: SOCALHSKR
cant forget where this program is now and where it was is grant’s day. i hear what hes saying, but if i remember correctly, there were a couple if highly touted guys that packed their bags when Tommie showed up on campus. and we’d struggle to compare anyone fairly to brook or his resolve.

i credit monte’s parents the wherewithal to name him monte.

Qb's too important of a position to not have the best guy you can possibly get. I think you should always have 4 quality qb's on your roster at all times. 4+ scholarship qb's on the roster should be the rule, not the exception. Some of you act like it's impossible to achieve that, but lots of teams do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT