ADVERTISEMENT

Will the extra practice help us get a pass rush?

Tulsa Tom

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Aug 28, 2003
I'm hoping we figured out how to get some pressure on the frosh from UCLA. Not having a pass rush killed us this year. I'm wondering if we try and sell out on blitzing the qb more than during the season.

One other question...what happened to Rose Ivey? I thought he was going to have a breakout year but instead spent a bunch of it on the bench. Is he going to play a crucial role on Saturday.

Last edited:
I don't have high hopes for this game, but I would think having a healthy Freedom Akinmoladun will help the pass rush.

I'm hoping we figured out how to get some pressure on the frosh from UCLA. Not having a pass rush killed us this year. I'm wondering if we try and sell out on blitzing the qb more than during the season.

One other question...what happened to Rose Ivey? I thought he was going to have a breakout year but instead spent a bunch of it on the bench. Is he going to play a crucial role on Saturday.

Not with this coaching staff.. I honestly don't even know why we're wasting our time. We should've turned down the bowl invite and fired them all. Winking

In all honesty - I think we obviously will see improvement from the extra practices. Our staff is familiar with UCLA and Riley's OSU teams generally had success in bowl games.

M.R.I. didn't just sit on the bench as he was injured most of the year.

9/3/15 - "Michael Rose-Ivey among those suspended for one game"
9/21/15 - "Will probably be out 4 weeks at least" according to Mike Riley
10/29/15 - "Other injured Huskers who won't play [against Purdue] include linebacker Michael Rose-Ivey"

The groin injury lingered on and cut his snaps quite a bit for the rest of the season if I recall correctly.

No idea on how much he will or will not play this Saturday though and whether that groin injury is still holding him back at all.

He definitely didn't accomplish much this year though compared to the expectations were going into the season!

Last edited:
Reactions: GretnaShawn
We just don't have the players (for a great pass rush). But I agree a healthy Freedom will help. We can and should blitz a freshman QB. I think he is capable of reading blitzs but the play of our corners lately make me feel better about blitzing.GBR

Mike inherited 0 pass rushers. Thankfully he moved Freedom to DE, but he's raw and been injured.

We just don't have the players (for a great pass rush). But I agree a healthy Freedom will help. We can and should blitz a freshman QB. I think he is capable of reading blitzs but the play of our corners lately make me feel better about blitzing.GBR
Our slow LBers will get exposed if we blitz and don't consistently get to Rosen.

Our slow LBers will get exposed if we blitz and don't consistently get to Rosen.
Yes some of the LB's aren't the fastest but I think our corners are playing better to give you a little time to get to the QB. And I'm hope Rose Ivy is getting healthy. He and Newby have some speed. I would say that young has some speed also.

Our secondary showed some improvement at the end, but I don't think Rutgers and Iowa come close to UCLA's passing attack. Hopefully we can find a way to pressure the QB some.

From the practice pictures the athletic department puts out on Twitter I haven't seen them practice in full pads yet so I would not expect them to have improved anything in these extra practices.

Our secondary showed some improvement at the end, but I don't think Rutgers and Iowa come close to UCLA's passing attack. Hopefully we can find a way to pressure the QB some.
Jones and Kalu are big upgrades at corner IMO and healthier linebackers should help. It will be interesting to see this late season cross-conference matchup. UCLA is very talented.

I would've played Maurice at DE on pass rushing downs.....
Hopefully Freedom is a full go. He's the only pass rusher we have other than Collins. We did some good things with blitz packages late in the year as we got more experience in Banker's scheme. Hopefully Neal is the real deal next year.

Freedom can have a big game and if he does he will be a major topic of discussion next year. I think he's done very well thus far in his young career

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT