ADVERTISEMENT

Will Nebraska make the tourney?

Will Nebraska make the Tourney

• Yes

Votes: 35 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 83 70.3%

• Total voters
That’s on Miles then to have a big kid.... WSU has 4 6’11 or bigger.... all developing but you got to have them to teach them
I've heard the theory that big men for whatever reason tend to stay closer to home. Maybe because they are in such short supply that they don't have to leave the area to find a spot. Somehow Nee got them to NU. Somehow we have to either get lucky and recruit some kids who grow in to the position like Roby or figure out a way to develop them. People keep pining for Lue to come back. What we need IMO is to hire a former NBA big with ties to the AAU to work as an assistant. JMHO. Nearly every other team I see has a large human being sitting in an assistant's coach's chair. With the officiating as it is, I think small ball leaves you very vulnerable in the B1G.

Make layups and free throws and Huskers win. We can argue to the cows come home whether or not that is coaching! At some point in time the players have to take some responsibility for their success of failure! On this board if they play poorly it is Miles and if they play well it is all the players! I question that attitude to be honest. We need a big man and if a new coach is needed to get one here then that is what needs to happen!

Make layups and free throws and Huskers win. We can argue to the cows come home whether or not that is coaching! At some point in time the players have to take some responsibility for their success of failure! On this board if they play poorly it is Miles and if they play well it is all the players! I question that attitude to be honest. We need a big man and if a new coach is needed to get one here then that is what needs to happen!

That’s exactly my point. Our boys missed easy lay ups, free throws that would have won us the game and all that. That was 100% on our players and not the head coach. I get it, some of you guys hate the guy and want him gone, period. And you guys have great points, there is a lot that falls on Miles and he’s definitely had misses and made mistakes. I’m not for or against Miles. But I’m not blind either, the past two games we had horrible shooting and missing key free throws and even lay ups. They will catch fire again, all teams go cold and all teams get it back. It’s apart of basketball.

I think the book is out on how to beat this team. Pound the inside on offense, get Nebraska bigs in foul trouble or at worst they will play softer. Then play tough D, especially on the perimeter. If you have a presence in the middle, force them to drive the lane and shoot it over the big.

They are in as long as they don't lose to PSU or Illinois and basically just win their home games.

Maybe we'll at least get a home game in the NIT this year?

Indiana coming back after my last post, were down 15 now only 6.

That’s on Miles then to have a big kid.... WSU has 4 6’11 or bigger.... all developing but you got to have them to teach them
I see that Isaiah “poor bear” Chandler ended up at WSU. Would have liked to see Miles keep him home. Not sure what interest there was from either side, but he looked pretty athletic in his Hudl film. I know he went to Sunrise Academy after HS but didn’t know where he ended up.

They are in as long as they don't lose to PSU or Illinois and basically just win their home games.
Yeah, that's a lot of wins right there. Seven home wins plus two road wins and we will finish 12-8 in conference (21-9 overall). Probably 4th in conference and a five seed in the NCAAs.

That's also four additional Q1 wins and five more Q2 wins. Taking that all day long.

1nhe2n.gif

Husker's NET Quadrant breakdown. This is a snapshot in time and very fluid. Only the final NET rankings matter and we just have to wait for them. But here's where we're at now.

Q1... 2-5 (7 Q1 games left on schedule)
Q2... 3-1 (5 left to play)
Q3... 2-0 (none left)
Q4... 5-0 (none left)

Rutgers was a Q2 loss for now. Clemson and Indiana are the Q1 wins.

Reactions: xxUNRIVALEDxx
Husker's NET Quadrant breakdown. This is a snapshot in time and very fluid. Only the final NET rankings matter and we just have to wait for them. But here's where we're at now.

Q1... 2-5 (7 Q1 games left on schedule)
Q2... 3-1 (5 left to play)
Q3... 2-0 (none left)
Q4... 5-0 (none left)

Rutgers was a Q2 loss for now. Clemson and Indiana are the Q1 wins.
Clemson lost today to FSU 77-68.
Indiana just got beat by NW 73-66.

Clemson lost today to FSU 77-68.
Indiana just got beat by NW 73-66.
Yep, everything is in flux.

Indiana will need to fall like a brick in order slip to a Q2 for us. They're at 34 today and 75/76 is the Q1/Q2 split for road games. Clemson is at 59 with a decent cushion for us.

Yep, everything is in flux.

Indiana will need to fall like a brick in order slip to a Q2 for us. They're at 34 today and 75/76 is the Q1/Q2 split for road games. Clemson is at 59 with a decent cushion for us.
Appreciate the updates.

That’s exactly my point. Our boys missed easy lay ups, free throws that would have won us the game and all that. That was 100% on our players and not the head coach. I get it, some of you guys hate the guy and want him gone, period. And you guys have great points, there is a lot that falls on Miles and he’s definitely had misses and made mistakes. I’m not for or against Miles. But I’m not blind either, the past two games we had horrible shooting and missing key free throws and even lay ups. They will catch fire again, all teams go cold and all teams get it back. It’s apart of basketball.
I'm not a basketball expert (i.e. what is wrong or right) but seems to me that excellent coaches teach the fundamentals, hit those free throws, move the ball around to find easy or at least layups that are mostly going down. Surely this is done by consistent practice, over and over, like TO's over and over to get it
right so that the percentages are there. Coach Miles, for whatever reasons, most likely his practices, doesn't emphasize this to occur or his MO doesn't promote
what is missing.....Something said on here is that he's not enough of a disciplinarian: i.e. demanding that the results occur (didn't someone say that AD Moos IS
a disciplinarian)......Sounds like Husker basketball needs a demanding coach.....No reason why a "football school " (are we still one) can't have winning basketball....

I'm not a basketball expert (i.e. what is wrong or right) but seems to me that excellent coaches teach the fundamentals, hit those free throws, move the ball around to find easy or at least layups that are mostly going down. Surely this is done by consistent practice, over and over, like TO's over and over to get it
right so that the percentages are there. Coach Miles, for whatever reasons, most likely his practices, doesn't emphasize this to occur or his MO doesn't promote
what is missing.....Something said on here is that he's not enough of a disciplinarian: i.e. demanding that the results occur (didn't someone say that AD Moos IS
a disciplinarian)......Sounds like Husker basketball needs a demanding coach.....No reason why a "football school " (are we still one) can't have winning basketball....
I think he's plenty demanding. What are his options though to enforce his demands with his top 7? Bench them and play Thor? My suspicion is that he screams and swears a lot in practice and that they tune him out. This team is not a smart team at times. They do things that a high schooler knows better than to do. Then they roll their eyes and look like they know exactly what they did wrong. That's on the player. We'll see if they can figure it out because they can be FUN to watch when they're clicking.

Have we beat a single NCAA tourney team yet?

The Indiana and Clemson wins are looking less and less impressive unfortunately. Seton Hall is hanging on just barely on the right side of the bubble. Creighton is on the wrong side of the bubble.

We need some good wins coming up.

The Indiana and Clemson wins are looking less and less impressive unfortunately. Seton Hall is hanging on just barely on the right side of the bubble. Creighton is on the wrong side of the bubble.

In all fairness the NCAA parings won’t be announced till March 17. So how would anyone know if we have beat anyone yet?

In all fairness the NCAA parings won’t be announced till March 17. So how would anyone know if we have beat anyone yet?

It was a question and people can certainly guess who will and won't make the tournament. Pundits put out projected brackets all year.

I think he's plenty demanding. What are his options though to enforce his demands with his top 7? Bench them and play Thor? My suspicion is that he screams and swears a lot in practice and that they tune him out. This team is not a smart team at times. They do things that a high schooler knows better than to do. Then they roll their eyes and look like they know exactly what they did wrong. That's on the player. We'll see if they can figure it out because they can be FUN to watch when they're clicking.
Trying to imagine a Izzo team tuning him out. Can't do it.

You make a good point about the bench and the rock to hard place Miles can find himself in but there are coaching methods available for that.

Consider Riley's soft approach to lack of buy-in and Frost's insistence on buy-in. Just a thought.

Another way to look at it is those four wins were thrilling and I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed them.

Twelve games left, seven Q1 and five Q2. Plenty of potential excitement left. The first nine have six home games included. Could be fun.

Another way to look at it is those four wins were thrilling and I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed them.

Twelve games left, seven Q1 and five Q2. Plenty of potential excitement left. The first nine have six home games included. Could be fun.

Everything is in front of us which we could not say last year. But this team has to get it done. Really I think we need to win out at home to build a really strong case for a good seed.

Everything is in front of us which we could not say last year. But this team has to get it done. Really I think we need to win out at home to build a really strong case for a good seed.

Agreed, winning one of the games at Purdue, Michigan and MSU would punch the ticker too...

After Monday night they have to convince me they can win at Illinois or at Penn St before I can believe my top comment.

I get the argument that coaches can't play for the players. When that argument continues being said over and over and season after season. It starts to fall on the coach. It is the coaches job to get the most out of the players. I said it with Riley and I say it with Miles. If the players are not doing what they are told that doesn't fall 100% on the players. The coach is the leader of the team, the team is a reflection of the coach. Why is he having such a hard time getting this talented team to consistently perform? We have heard the same song and dance pretty well since Miles started. "Next year we will have the talent to be good" Next year comes and the team is exactly the same.
Look at Riley/ Frost as the prime example of this. Riley was not respect and was a push over. The kids took advantage, and slacked off, hence the program took a nose dive. Frost came in and struggled to correct what Riley messed up, but he did it and we started to see the results on the field. It did not take getting a whole team of players or getting a team full of super start players. It took a coach who was strong, determined, respected and held players accountable. Our football program has that in a coach. Our basketball program does not.

Nebraska entered B1G play with margin for error. That margin for error continues to deteriorate. Not all of it is NU’s fault, as the wins over Seton Hall, Clemson, Indiana, and Creighton lose value every week as those teams struggle in their conferences.

NU has also hurt themselves. They missed HUGE opportunities by blowing big leads at Minnesota and Maryland. Those two games are 180 degree turns. I don’t include the Iowa loss because NU trailed pretty much the entire game and really weren’t in a position to win. NU could have gained ground and restored credibility by beating MSU, but came up short. Then, they add a really ugly loss to the resume at Rutgers.

NU is trending SHARPLY in the wrong direction. Their resume has coffee stains and typos. As things have gotten more difficult, they HAVE NOT been up to the challenge.

Basically I'd just say that they are completely unpredictable. They will lose more games that make you want to pull your face off, and they will win a couple that you don't think they have a chance in. A lot of it will depend on how the games are called and how they shoot from three. A total crapshoot. In other words, maddening.

Doesn't matter if they are in or out. They would lose the first game in the tourney anyway.

We did not lose to the Rutger because they are the better team, we lost only because we were shooting so badly. Missing shots all over the place. We shoot like we normally do or like regular, wed won that game with easy.

Good teams find a way to overcome poor shooting nights. This team is not a good team right now. We have good individual players but they do not play as a team. Unfortunate but I think this year becomes a washout.

Reactions: dinglefritz

No, it is NOT on the player! This team is ultimately chosen by Miles, recruited by Miles, and coached by Miles. He is completely responsible for the results on the court. And the results are erratic. Especially on offense.

No, it is NOT on the player! This team is ultimately chosen by Miles, recruited by Miles, and coached by Miles. He is completely responsible for the results on the court. And the results are erratic. Especially on offense.
Doesn't matter if it is football or basketball, some will always blame the coaches, some will always blame the players. My thought is it always falls on the coach. They recruit, teach, discipline ( or don't), design the plays, organize the practices ect. If kids are not doing what they are told, figure out how to get them to or find a player who does. If the team is having a hard time rebound, shooting 3s, defending, making free throws, ect Find a way to make it work.
Now I can understand maybe a season where a group of players go rouge and do what they want. or just plain bad luck. Miles has been here 7 years, every season looks about the same. With the same undisciplined, unmotivated, inconsistent team.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Perhaps Miles could try playing our 6'11 player more than 2 minutes a game. At least give him a chance, he played well in the Minnesota game but has been MIA ever since.

Perhaps Miles could try playing our 6'11 player more than 2 minutes a game. At least give him a chance, he played well in the Minnesota game but has been MIA ever since.
Every time I've seen him in a B1G game when a shot goes up he gets pushed 5 feet out from the basket. Likewise if he's guarding a big in or near the paint, the first dribble his guy takes he gets pushed back under the basket. He just can't hold his ground against most of the B1G bigs with the way the refs let guys bang down low. JMHO.

Every time I've seen him in a B1G game when a shot goes up he gets pushed 5 feet out from the basket. Likewise if he's guarding a big in or near the paint, the first dribble his guy takes he gets pushed back under the basket. He just can't hold his ground against most of the B1G bigs with the way the refs let guys bang down low. JMHO.

Most true freshman need to gain weight and strength..

Woodbury from Iowa was the same way as a true freshman when he played..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT