ADVERTISEMENT

Why not us, Can NU make the big 10 title game?

salsa red

Junior
Dec 25, 2019
So far we look like we could be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference. Oregon doesn't look ready for November football, I could see them dropping a game or 2 to a team like NW. MI doesn't have a qb, PSU is talented but not impressing. WI and IA look average. USC looks decent and OSU looks like OSU.

Not sure yet. Indiana feels like a trap game but we'll see how they look as the season goes on. Other than that Ohio State is the only match up that worries me. USC possibly, I just don't see them holding up against our pass rush or running up the middle the way they like to after watching the first two weeks.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I'm cautiously optimistic. 6-3 conference record should be enough to excite everyone but won't get us there. 2 road games to the shoe and the at usc within 3 weeks is gonna be rough. Gonna have to win one of those to have a shot.

And who has Nebraska beaten? UTEP is not good, Colorado was a lot of hype. Do we really know how good we are from these two games?
B1G sucks, fella

14 or so of the leagues teams are on par with those teams

Ohiost and USC look like the class of the conference

Outside of those two we will probably be favored in every game, assuming good health

Last edited:
And who has Nebraska beaten? UTEP is not good, Colorado was a lot of hype. Do we really know how good we are from these two games?
The answer to this is no, but my eyes and brain tell me this team is different

- We are not turning the ball over
- We produced 500+ yards of offense in a game where our back ups came in, in the 3rd quarter
- The defense is playing lights out and are producing turnovers

There is definitely more I could list, but instead of doing that I am going to ask you this. When is the last time Nebraska looked in control of a game and you didn't feel like the shoe was about to drop? I haven't felt that this year, and I have for the previous 10. So with that said, yes it was UTEP and Colorado. It also was a couple of ass whoopin's that we haven't done in a loooooong time!

We have a true frosh at QB. Who hasn’t played a road game yet. Even the very best QBs usually need a year to figure things out. Didn’t Tommie Frazier lose to ISU his freshman year? DR has been lucky a few of his passes didn’t get intercepted and taken to the house. One game at a time…

We were 0-2 at this time last year at this time. Yes, it was two road games, but against two mediocre (at best) teams. So I understand the optimism after our ‘feel good’ start this season.

As for the B1G title game? Sure, why not us? Why not dream a little? Nebraska will probably be favored in all but the @OSU and @USC games (who knows about Iowa at that point). 10-2 probably gives you a shot at it. I wouldn’t bet that NU goes to Iowa City at 9-2 and a shot at the CCG, but for now - Why Not Us?

B1G sucks, fella

14 or so of the leagues teams are on par with those teams

Ohiost and USC look like the class of the conference

Outside of those two we will probably be favored in every game, assuming good health
There will be this weird "Ohhhh, Brett is bringing in a solid Illinois team" and "Indiana really looks different this year" stuff...but in the end those teams are lame.

I know that Urdue fan will someone see this and come to tell us how amazing that team is but NU just played the best QB they are going to see all year and the best WR that they are going to see all season.

Reactions: leodisflowers
I don't like looking ahead but I'm not certain about Illinois..that coach beat us a few times if I remember right

There will be this weird "Ohhhh, Brett is bringing in a solid Illinois team" and "Indiana really looks different this year" stuff...but in the end those teams are lame.

I know that Urdue fan will someone see this and come to tell us how amazing that team is but NU just played the best QB they are going to see all year and the best WR that they are going to see all season.
Purdue is ass

That Illinois game was a complete trap. KU beat them by 50 last year. I take nothing from it.

Our game against USC could be a de facto play-in game for an at-large bid

If we continue to improve each week and we play like we did in the first half against CU we just might be in the mix late season.

I can afford to dream ahead but I hope the team continues to take it one game at a time. I think they will.

I absolutely enjoyed the Colorado game. First time I went tailgating in over 15 years. Watched at a friend's house and the party was rocking. Been years since we celebrated so much in one game.

But... I'd add a little brake fluid for now. We are lacking a lights out kicker and an average OC. Both of those will cost us 1 or 2 easy wins this year.

So far we look like we could be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference. Oregon doesn't look ready for November football, I could see them dropping a game or 2 to a team like NW. MI doesn't have a qb, PSU is talented but not impressing. WI and IA look average. USC looks decent and OSU looks like OSU.
Nothing matters this week other than Northern Iowa. Period. Looking ahead leads to losses.

We were 0-2 at this time last year at this time. Yes, it was two road games, but against two mediocre (at best) teams. So I understand the optimism after our ‘feel good’ start this season.

As for the B1G title game? Sure, why not us? Why not dream a little? Nebraska will probably be favored in all but the @OSU and @USC games (who knows about Iowa at that point). 10-2 probably gives you a shot at it. I wouldn’t bet that NU goes to Iowa City at 9-2 and a shot at the CCG, but for now - Why Not Us?
If Nebraska was 10-2 I would not want them in the conf championship game. 10-2 would be good for a playoff spot

Reactions: shocksker
I don’t care about playoffs or title games if we go 10-2, I’ll just do a freakin dance regardless

As for the other teams, Penn St and Oregon are likely to do fairly well… I can’t say we’d beat either of them.

SEC at this point, TBH, should get 5 teams in the playoff. UGA, Texass, Bama, Tennessee, Ole Miss/Methzou/LSU

SEC is loaded this year

Reactions: scarletred
I don’t care about playoffs or title games if we go 10-2, I’ll just do a freakin dance regardless

As for the other teams, Penn St and Oregon are likely to do fairly well… I can’t say we’d beat either of them.

SEC at this point, TBH, should get 5 teams in the playoff. UGA, Texass, Bama, Tennessee, Ole Miss/Methzou/LSU

SEC is loaded this year
And they are smart to only play 8 conference games.

We will drop some games unless the offense and special teams improve. Indiana, Rutgers, and a few other trap games worry me. And we still don’t know how we will play on the road. Don’t get me wrong, we have a champion caliber defense and we are improved across the board. But UTEP and CU suck. So it is way too early to start thinking about conference title games.

If Raiola, the O-line and Special Teams progress, then we can compete with most teams, but damn, I just want to win next week. Then worry about the following week.
It’s been a long time since we have been able to look at rankings and other teams scores and have it really matter. At this moment, let’s just keep our heads down a freakin’ grind. The CU game is over and it’s on to the next.

We can but there’s a lot of football left to be played before we can judge other teams.

I think our O-line is still suspect. We haven’t played anyone yet and the O-line stunk in the 2nd half. Also, I hope we don’t find ourselves in a close game that comes down to a FG.

We are doing a lot of good things but the jury is still out. No disrespect to N Iowa but how we play against Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers, and Indiana will say alot.

Can we get to the conference championship game? Sure we can. But I wouldn’t even be discussing it yet. It’s a very long road.

Do we think the big 10 gets 3 playoff spots? SEC probably gets 4 max hopefully.
How quickly a week is... didn't LSU, Texas A&M and Florida all lose in week one? I mean A&M lost to a team that lost to Northern Illinois

Why is it that SEC teams always gets out scot free... I am sick of the SEC shit don't stink mentality because it is obviously driven by the media

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
SEC 4. Big ten 3 and hopefully 4.
tOSU, PSU, and Oregon are in the top 10, with USC at 11 and Michigan at 16. NU has joined the top 25 and UDub is 22 in the Coaches Poll.
Games of note for these teams
tOSU - Oregon, PSU, Michigan, NU
PSU - USC, tOSU, UDub
Oregon - tOSU, Michigan, UDub
USC - Michigan, PSU, UDub, NU
Michigan - USC, UDub, Oregon, tOSU
NU - tOSU, USC
UDub - Michigan, USC, PSU and Oregon

I'd say that with the exception of tOSU, all of these teams are at risk of losing to one or even more than one B1G team not on this list.

It's more about how we've played compared to how our future opponents have played. If you compare the strengths and weaknesses of ourselves and our opponents, we should do very well. Illinois, Rutgers, USC and Iowa spend a lot of time in the pocket. Our d-line will not allow that. Wiscy, USC and OSU running up the middle often to set up the pass. I only see OSU capable of doing this after two weeks of watching our defense and comparing to what their o-lines have been able to do.

Reactions: SickOfPractice
SEC 4. Big ten 3 and hopefully 4.
SEC get 4
Big 10 get 4
Big 12 get 1
ACC get 2
At Large get 1

SEC

Georgia
Alabama
Ole Miss
Tennessee

Big 10

OSU
USC (If somehow Nebraska wins swap us in an them out)
Oregon
Penn State

Big 12

My guess is Kansas State

ACC

Miami
Clemson

Mystery team is going to be

Memphis

That is my opinion

I think we will know a lot more about a few teams after this week. Purdue vs. Notre Dame should give us a better gauge on Purdue. So far they haven't looked awful, but have also played no one. If Card lights it up this week, they may have something.

I don't know how good Illinois is and I think they play to our strengths. I think we stop the run and lock their one decent receiver down with Tommi we should be good.

Rutgers seems to be similar to Illinois and so I will wait and see how they look in the next few weeks.

With all of that said, the same goes for us. UTEP is not good and is breaking in a bunch of new players, and I'm not sure how good CU is. Their receiving is great, but I still want to see how we match up against a team who is going to run it at us. I think we will be good, but haven't had that test yet.

I think we will know a lot more about a few teams after this week. Purdue vs. Notre Dame should give us a better gauge on Purdue. So far they haven't looked awful, but have also played no one. If Card lights it up this week, they may have something.

I don't know how good Illinois is and I think they play to our strengths. I think we stop the run and lock their one decent receiver down with Tommi we should be good.

Rutgers seems to be similar to Illinois and so I will wait and see how they look in the next few weeks.

With all of that said, the same goes for us. UTEP is not good and is breaking in a bunch of new players, and I'm not sure how good CU is. Their receiving is great, but I still want to see how we match up against a team who is going to run it at us. I think we will be good, but haven't had that test yet.
Regardless of upcoming opponents and how they look, Two big things for me. After lots of years of failure, Nebraska needs to learn how to win. So far, they’re learning very well! Rhule said the game looked like they expected it to. That’s a positive change. Expect to win, but be able to follow through.

I’m confident we have enough horses and depth to end the season in great shape. We have enough games where we have enough talent to have enough of a lead to get the backups reps and grow the depth. This TEAM WILL continue to get better and better.

Reactions: SickOfPractice
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT