ADVERTISEMENT

Why no talk about how the Big 12 was overrated?

big red22

Offensive Coordinator
Dec 15, 2003
Let's compare...

Big 10 Ranked Teams

2. Illinois
4. Michigan
7. Ohio St.
8. Iowa
20. Purdue

Big 12 Ranked Teams

3. Baylor
9. Texas
11. Oklahoma St.
12. Kansas
13. West Virginia
21. Texas Tech

Big 10 Teams in the Tournament = 8

Big 12 Teams in the Tournament = 7

Big 10 Teams in the Sweet 16 = 1

Big 12 Teams in the Sweet 16 = 1

Big 10 Percentage Represented in the Dance = 57% (8 of 14)

Big 12 Percentage Represented in the Dance = 70% (7 of 10)

Seriously people need to STFU, and realize this is like no other year ever!

No Duke
No Kentucky
VCU didn't even get to play
Kansas was weak
North Carolina was weak

If the Big 12 had hyped itself as the greatest conference in the history of western civilization, it probably would be catching some crap about doing a face plant in the tournament. Gasbag all season about how fantastic your league is, better be able to back it up.

Let's compare...

Big 10 Ranked Teams

2. Illinois
4. Michigan
7. Ohio St.
8. Iowa
20. Purdue

Big 12 Ranked Teams

3. Baylor
9. Texas
11. Oklahoma St.
12. Kansas
13. West Virginia
21. Texas Tech

Big 10 Teams in the Tournament = 8

Big 12 Teams in the Tournament = 7

Big 10 Teams in the Sweet 16 = 1

Big 12 Teams in the Sweet 16 = 1

Big 10 Percentage Represented in the Dance = 57% (8 of 14)

Big 12 Percentage Represented in the Dance = 70% (7 of 10)

Seriously people need to STFU, and realize this is like no other year ever!

No Duke
No Kentucky
VCU didn't even get to play
Kansas was weak
North Carolina was weak
Meanwhile the Big East got twice as many teams into the Sweet Sixteen 50% (2 of 4).

If the Big 12 had hyped itself as the greatest conference in the history of western civilization, it probably would be catching some crap about doing a face plant in the tournament. Gasbag all season about how fantastic your league is, better be able to back it up.
Exactly, wouldn't even care how many teams are left if I didn't hear all year how fantastically great the conference was. Not just great, greatest ever according to most of the talking heads on the Big 10 network.

agreed. every time i turned on the TV it was all about the B10. The B12 got some respect but for some reason the B10 got all the attention this year. I'm not sure if that's just because media is trying to hype the bigger league for ratings or what. i thought it was overblown all year.
when i saw missouri beat illinois I knew Illni were not as good as being pumped up. there are no out of conference games after december to gauge the leagues.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Blame the Douchebags in sports media not the Big10 or its teams or fans.

Shows how much they know.

Go Blue!

Blame the Douchebags in sports media not the Big10 or its teams or fans.

Shows how much they know.

Go Blue!
I absolutely blame the league, the teams and the fans

people legitimately thought the B1G was the best conference ever this year

and now those same people think the conference was so tough none of the teams were able to sustain their greatness in the most important time of the year

all b1g schools and their fans are the worst. b1g NEVER wins when it matters, and ALWAYS fancies itself the best conference, whether it be in hoops or football.

terrible conference full of losers

and now those same people think the conference was so tough none of the teams were able to sustain their greatness in the most important time of the year

all b1g schools and their fans are the worst. b1g NEVER wins when it matters, and ALWAYS fancies itself the best conference, whether it be in hoops or football.

At least it's poorly managed.

I'm waiting for someone to point out that teams from Michigan, Illinois, Nebraska and Pennsylvania all advanced to the Sweet 16. Plus everybody in NYC is a Rutgers fan, so that makes New York, and thus Syracuse, part of the Big Ten footprint

If this doesn't confirm the dominance of the mighty Big Ten, nothing will.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I definitely noticed...because for my money Kansas basketball fans are the most annoying fans on the planet.

I am all on board if you want to say the team that wins it all is also part of the best conference but just remember that might end up being the WCC...most of us can't even name 5 teams in the conference.

Pretty sure people will all of a sudden shut up.

People may have thought it but the idea was fed to them by sports media.

Go Blue!

Whew. Thank god us Husker fans aren't to blame when the media hyped up Adrian Martinez as a Heisman Candidate last season only for him to shit the bed. I mean we were fed lies from the media.

Yes the B1G fans have always though they are the best at everything. Only things they are the best is Wrasslin (not hard when no other major conference has more than 6 participating schools) and Volleyball. Thats it. Plain and simple. No, you cant say "well the conference is so tough that by the end of the season the teams are just wore down". Nope that dont work. Growing up in youth and high school it is beat into your head that you only get better by playing the best competition. That is the truth. Then claim you have played the best and shit the bed when playing the lessor teams.

Reactions: schuele
The Big Ten was great this year. If the only conference that is great is the one that wins it all...well...there is a really good chance that all of you will all of a sudden be touting the WCC as the best conference this season.

Reactions: baseball31ne
The Big Ten was great this year. If the only conference that is great is the one that wins it all...well...there is a really good chance that all of you will all of a sudden be touting the WCC as the best conference this season.
Other than you, who said winning it all is the only thing that matters in the tournament? A lot of teams that have represented their conferences well in this tournament won't win the title, or even get to the Final Four.

You're the only one who said winning the whole tournament is the only thing that matters. I never thought that, so I won't be fawning over the WCC if Gonzaga wins. If Michigan wins it will soften - but won't eliminate - the giant turd the Big Ten laid over the past week.

Other than you, who said winning it all is the only thing that matters in the tournament? A lot of teams that have represented their conferences well in this tournament won't win the title, or even get to the Final Four.

You're the only one who said winning the whole tournament is the only thing that matters. I never thought that, so I won't be fawning over the WCC if Gonzaga wins. If Michigan wins it will soften - but won't eliminate - the giant turd the Big Ten laid over the past week.

Ha. you can't butter your bread on both sides.

If a conference sucks in the dance it means that conference sucks, right? (Yes, that is the implication)
If a conference wins it all, it must be the best conference, right? (Yes, that is the implication)

Winning it all IS the only thing that matters. Unless you are a Jay's fan, they are calling for a "national holiday" for reaching the 16.

If a conference sucks in the dance it means that conference sucks, right? (Yes, that is the implication)
If a conference wins it all, it must be the best conference, right? (Yes, that is the implication)

Winning it all IS the only thing that matters. Unless you are a Jay's fan, they are calling for a "national holiday" for reaching the 16.

Most Jays fans are reasonable (of which I am one) and we know our ceiling is the Sweet 16. Creighton is over achieving IMO, to be a top 20 program almost year in and year out and reaching the Sweet 16, and nobody is really calling for a national holiday. Husker fans (of which I am also one) really need to STFU when it comes to talking smack about their big brother who has owned them for a decade. It's not a good look.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Most Jays fans are reasonable (of which I am one) and we know our ceiling is the Sweet 16. Creighton is over achieving IMO, to be a top 20 program almost year in and year out and reaching the Sweet 16, and nobody is really calling for a national holiday. Husker fans (of which I am also one) really need to STFU when it comes to talking smack about their big brother who has owned them for a decade. It's not a good look.

I am not a husker basketball fan. And a Jays fan called into 1620 Monday saying it should be a National Holiday.

Jays fans have done this amazing thing...they have created a narrative that they have a ceiling and that the 16 is as far as they can go...and they believe it! It is impressive.

They were a bad no-call from being out in round 1....and jays fans would have been fine with it, it is an amazing thing to watch. You act like they are in some tiny little conference, like they have no facilities and that they are the little engine that could.

They are not over achieving, they are underachieving.

Reactions: TheNewNU
I am not a husker basketball fan. And a Jays fan called into 1620 Monday saying it should be a National Holiday.

Jays fans have done this amazing thing...they have created a narrative that they have a ceiling and that the 16 is as far as they can go...and they believe it! It is impressive.

They were a bad no-call from being out in round 1....and jays fans would have been fine with it, it is an amazing thing to watch. You act like they are in some tiny little conference, like they have no facilities and that they are the little engine that could.

They are not over achieving, they are underachieving.

The dude calling into a radio show does not represent most fans IMO, that is beyond silly to apply that fanatic's opinion across the whole fan base, and we would not have been fine with a first round exit, your take is getting sillier. I am willing to bet most CBB fans could not tell you what conference Creighton even plays in because we were in the Valley for so long, and then when you tell 'em it's the Big East they immediately think "That conference ain't what it used to be" and Creighton doesn't exactly reside in fertile recruiting grounds so for them to be a top 20 program most years and going to the Sweet 16 is pretty awesome, IMO.

You're the only person who's bloviated here about how winning the title is the only thing that matters. Don't attribute that nonsense to me, and then somehow claim I'm trying to have it both ways.

I never thought the Big East was the best basketball conference when Villanova won its national titles, nor do I know anyone who thought that. But I'm sure that didn't stop you from blowharding about how Big East fans were all delusional about it being the top conference, since you love to attribute things never said to people who never said them.

You're the only person who's bloviated here about how winning the title is the only thing that matters. Don't attribute that nonsense to me, and then somehow claim I'm trying to have it both ways.

I never thought the Big East was the best basketball conference when Villanova won its national titles, nor do I know anyone who thought that. But I'm sure that didn't stop you from blowharding about how Big East fans were all delusional about it being the top conference, since you love to attribute things never said to people who never said them.

I do enjoy how angry you get when your thoughts are blown up.

Look, don't say the stuff you say if you don't want it to come back and bite you.

The dude calling into a radio show does not represent most fans IMO, that is beyond silly to apply that fanatic's opinion across the whole fan base, and we would not have been fine with a first round exit, your take is getting sillier. I am willing to bet most CBB fans could not tell you what conference Creighton even plays in because we were in the Valley for so long, and then when you tell 'em it's the Big East they immediately think "That conference ain't what it used to be" and Creighton doesn't exactly reside in fertile recruiting grounds so for them to be a top 20 program most years and going to the Sweet 16 is pretty awesome, IMO.

Here come the Jayscueses!

Most CBB fans can't tell you where Duke is located or who the HC of Illinois is or name two players 3 players from the Fab Five. Most CBB fans can't tell you where Nova is located or what conference Syracuse is in now. Most fans can't tell you who was in the old big east and most fans don't remember that the BE used to play with 6 fouls

My take is spot on, as usual.

I do enjoy how angry you get when your thoughts are blown up.

Look, don't say the stuff you say if you don't want it to come back and bite you.
I’m not angry, you’re just completely full of shit. Which is not news to anyone who reads this board.

I’m not angry, you’re just completely full of shit. Which is not news to anyone who reads this board.
Seems like you are angry, but don't be, I agree with you. The team that wins it all has the bragging rights, so does their conference.

Just like the SEC in football. It is Bama and the rest of the conference is pretty lame but they get to get crowned the best.

It is always odd when people get mad when other people agree with them.

And this is a post board, anyone who reads posts here and takes it seriously and or takes it to heart, is insane.

So other posters thinking I am full of shit is just fine with me!

Here come the Jayscueses!

Most CBB fans can't tell you where Duke is located or who the HC of Illinois is or name two players 3 players from the Fab Five. Most CBB fans can't tell you where Nova is located or what conference Syracuse is in now. Most fans can't tell you who was in the old big east and most fans don't remember that the BE used to play with 6 fouls

My take is spot on, as usual.

I don't understand what you're trying to say in all honesty. It seems like you're arguing against the Jays being pretty damn good, when the data clearly shows otherwise, and that as fans we suck because we recognize the program has a ceiling. Weird. I will just sum it up as a fan of the program going back to late 70's who used to attend games at the Civic with my awesome dad.... I don't see us as a national power, I think i'm being reasonable with the expectations, and am thrilled to still be alive in the tournament.

I don't understand what you're trying to say in all honesty. It seems like you're arguing against the Jays being pretty damn good, when the data clearly shows otherwise, and that as fans we suck because we recognize the program has a ceiling. Weird. I will just sum it up as a fan of the program going back to late 70's who used to attend games at the Civic with my awesome dad.... I don't see us as a national power, I think i'm being reasonable with the expectations, and am thrilled to still be alive in the tournament.

I know you don't.

Their games now at the Plantation are a blast! But they did get rid of the old school beer tent! Two old school beers for 6 dollars! PBR ME ASAP!

This tournament will provide plenty of fodder for both Bluejay lovers and Bluejay haters, as long as they don't know their butt from a hole in the ground about college basketball. I thought Creighton would squeak by UCSB and then be able to handle over-seeded Virginia, giving them something to hang their hat on before going down to Gonzaga. With Virginia not even surviving against an unimpressive Ohio team, the Jays' path to the Sweet 16 became pretty easy.

In my mind, that doesn't mean Creighton has to beat Gonzaga for this to be a good tournament showing, but they also can't get boatraced by 30 points. Make Gonzaga play a 40-minute game, and I'll say Creighton represented pretty well in the tournament. Not a breakthrough showing, but decent.

This tournament will provide plenty of fodder for both Bluejay lovers and Bluejay haters, as long as they don't know their butt from a hole in the ground about college basketball. I thought Creighton would squeak by UCSB and then be able to handle over-seeded Virginia, giving them something to hang their hat on before going down to Gonzaga. With Virginia not even surviving against an unimpressive Ohio team, the Jays' path to the Sweet 16 became pretty easy.

In my mind, that doesn't mean Creighton has to beat Gonzaga for this to be a good tournament showing, but they also can't get boatraced by 30 points. Make Gonzaga play a 40-minute game, and I'll say Creighton represented pretty well in the tournament. Not a breakthrough showing, but decent.

The list of powerhouses that either didn't make the dance or who have already been sent home is staggering, and they would all trade places with the Jays right now. It has been a very good year, maybe great even, regardless of what happens against the Zags.

The list of powerhouses that either didn't make the dance or who have already been sent home is staggering, and they would all trade places with the Jays right now. It has been a very good year, maybe great even, regardless of what happens against the Zags.
Very good year - yes. I'm just talking about the tournament showing. Jays have done fine, as UCSB was a pretty tough #12 seed. But I feel like they still need a good performance against Gonzaga.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan

One of the reasons this tourney (besides covid) is soooooo different. KU has their worst year in a long ass time. Duke quit, Kentucky melted down, UNC was bad.

Chances of all that (plus more covid) happening next year are so slim.

One of the reasons this tourney (besides covid) is soooooo different. KU has their worst year in a long ass time. Duke quit, Kentucky melted down, UNC was bad.

Chances of all that (plus more covid) happening next year are so slim.

Only thing you left off your dead sea scrolls of rationalizations is "The Jays are gonna take a step back next year when so and so leaves"

Every single team had to deal with the same issues. Props to Creighton for not quitting, or having their worst year in a long time, or letting Covid get in their way.....on their way to a great year and a berth in the Sweet 16

Reactions: schuele
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT