ADVERTISEMENT

Why keepign Frost was the right decision

These are my expectations. With what they have brought in through the portal and JUCO's, they better have the players who know how to win. The weakness of the offense is gone and a new QB coach and coordinator will make a huge difference. The ST's have been flipped and should be much better. I am not concerned about the defense, Chin's has shown he can coach.

If they are not at 9 wins at the end of the season, Frost needs to go. If they have more than one loss at the end of 4 games, show him the door.
As a fan, I would be very happy with 9 wins and a decent bowl game. Getting 9 wins will rest with the DL being able to stop a good running team. At a minimum, 7, 8, 9 wins would represent progress.

This might be the first year that the team might have some realistic expectations placed on themselves. I can see Whipple and Mickey chewing some ass when the previous years' efforts show up.

It just appears that some of the really critical areas of need have been and are being addressed. After a long career of coaching by Whipple and the talent Mickey had at his disposal at LSU, excuses in the past probably are not gonna fly.

I'm really hopeful the OL comes along and begins to show some physicality.
Lutovsky and Anthony on the right side of the OL, at least at first blush, may offer just that. This patty cake shit has to stop. OL that whiff on pass protection can no longer be tolerated. Can you imagine NU started both Corcoran and Benhart at tackle? No wonder our new offensive coaches are looking to find some big bodies that aren't afraid of contact.

Reactions: bshirt73
The red zone scoring percentage was the most alarming and maybe most harmful of our problems. IF I remember correctly we scored TDs on less than 20% of our red zone possessions. By comparison Whipple's offense at Pitt scored TDs on over 70% of their red zone possessions. THAT and the performance of the QBs he has coached over the years is why he's our new OC. Time will tell if the new hires will be enough.

Good data compadre! We'll hope for the best but I'm also thinking Bill Busch very well might be a MASSIVE improvement with our previous ultra horrible special teams. Being a damn good recruiter too....well, we'll see!

Reactions: yunginsNU2
Good data compadre! We'll hope for the best but I'm also thinking Bill Busch very well might be a MASSIVE improvement with our previous ultra horrible special teams. Being a damn good recruiter too....well, we'll see!
Well as was pointed out, I was WAY off on my estimation of our red zone success. We missed so damned many field goals though and maybe that is what skews my view. Tuco did the math. The bigger problem appears to be the way we came up empty 23% of the time by missing field goals. We weren't as bad at scoring TDs as I thought but were still several percentage points behind Pitt. New Kicker alone can fix that hopefully.

I have a problem with the thought the special teams will suddenly be better. Frost is still in charge and has put no emphasis on it for four years. Guess I want to see the improvement before believing it.

I have a problem with the thought the special teams will suddenly be better. Frost is still in charge and has put no emphasis on it for four years. Guess I want to see the improvement before believing it.
I see no way the ST will not be greatly improved. That area hasn't been an area of focus in the last 4 years, and now it will received some real coaching.

I know when Busch was coaching ST for Callahan, NU blocked a ton of punts and NU also did a real good job of returning them.

Just like Mario with coaching AM and the rest of the QB's. Their collective lack of improvement shows either ineptness from Mario or just lack of really concentrated drills that lead to game time play execution.

I think it's possible, by midway through the '22 season, many of us fans will see that improvement come to life, and be pissed at exactly how lousy some of the aspects of coaching were. We may look back and shake our heads at exactly how many close losses over 4 years were directly a result of subpar coaching and attention to detail.

I would just like to break this cycle once and for all
FKIA145X0AMZsdr

I understand the business decision to retain Frost to avoid the buyout costs.

But what on-field value does Frost in his new CEO role provide - other than "less is more"

most young successful head coaches are control freaks and have their hands in everything - particularly on the side of the ball that is their specialty. It is only after years of success when they have their system in place that they gradually give up more and more of day to day coordinating/coaching duties and only continue in this capacity if the success continues

I am not aware of other examples where a head with such a record was mandated to give up coaching duties for the good of the program.

What does Trev do if they are successful? Do you extend Frost or give him a raise to keep up the facade that he is providing actual coaching value - ie do you continue to pay him millions per year to essentially stay out of the way? Typically a coach earns the right to be a CEO by being highly successful - in this case Frost is being demoted to CEO to save money and reputation. What happens when the buyout gets spent down and it is no longer a money question? Does NU keep paying to protect his reputation?

I agree that Bush is a very good special teams coach. But if emphasis is not put on the special teams by the head coach improvement will be much harder! That is all i am saying.

I understand the business decision to retain Frost to avoid the buyout costs.

But what on-field value does Frost in his new CEO role provide - other than "less is more"

most young successful head coaches are control freaks and have their hands in everything - particularly on the side of the ball that is their specialty. It is only after years of success when they have their system in place that they gradually give up more and more of day to day coordinating/coaching duties and only continue in this capacity if the success continues

I am not aware of other examples where a head with such a record was mandated to give up coaching duties for the good of the program.

What does Trev do if they are successful? Do you extend Frost or give him a raise to keep up the facade that he is providing actual coaching value - ie do you continue to pay him millions per year to essentially stay out of the way?
If they are winning, keep Frost. Don't bring in a new coach and start over from square one, that makes no sense at all.

If they are winning, keep Frost. Don't bring in a new coach and start over from square one, that makes no sense at all.
But it is the assistants that would be winning and Frost is being paid to just stay out of their way. Do you continue to pay a head coaches salary for this?
Trev did most of the heavy lifting with regards to these changes and new hires.

Just haven’t heard of many situations where a university is paying assistants in order to protect the reputation of the head coach and mandating the head coach coach less and crown him “CEO”

this is the type of thing that goes on in the later years with coaches like Bowden, Paterno, etc who have earned it. Not for a coach that is averaging less than 4 wins per season. It’s odd

Last edited:
These are my expectations. With what they have brought in through the portal and JUCO's, they better have the players who know how to win. The weakness of the offense is gone and a new QB coach and coordinator will make a huge difference. The ST's have been flipped and should be much better. I am not concerned about the defense, Chin's has shown he can coach.

If they are not at 9 wins at the end of the season, Frost needs to go. If they have more than one loss at the end of 4 games, show him the door.

I'm very close to your thoughts. For me he needs at least 8 to get my attention. Anything lower Id move on. I don't think just because we get new coaches that we get to reset expectations. This isn't year 1 it's year 5. 6-6 might be ok in year one. In year 5 it should get you fired.

Either way I'll be rooting like hell. Honestly I'm terrified of our OL and DL depth. Don't think we improved much at OL and imo we got worse at DL. Let's hope these guys prove me wrong.

Holla

But it is the assistants that would be winning and Frost is being paid to just stay out of their way. Do you continue to pay a head coaches salary for this?
Trev did most of the heavy lifting with regards to these changes and new hires.

Just haven’t heard of many situations where a university is paying assistants in order to protect the reputation of the head coach and mandating the head coach coach less and crown him “CEO”

this is the type of thing that goes on in the later years with coaches like Bowden, Paterno, etc who have earned it. Not for a coach that is averaging less than 4 wins per season. It’s odd
However if the success is due to the assistants and you fire the head coach, most of the assistants will go elsewhere and it's back to square one again.

I'm very close to your thoughts. For me he needs at least 8 to get my attention. Anything lower Id move on. I don't think just because we get new coaches that we get to reset expectations. This isn't year 1 it's year 5. 6-6 might be ok in year one. In year 5 it should get you fired.

Either way I'll be rooting like hell. Honestly I'm terrified of our OL and DL depth. Don't think we improved much at OL and imo we got worse at DL. Let's hope these guys prove me wrong.

Holla
I think, and I will be lit on fire for this, the lines biggest problem is their age. A lot of the starters are still young and do not have the strength yet that is required in the conference play. Also, with a lack of seniors to teach the younger players the techniques and what to look for, it will stunt their growth. With another year of conditioning and playing experience, they will be better. I know when I was 23-24 I was a hell of a lot stronger than at 21 and 22. I was stronger at 35 than I was at 24... Time will tell, till then I will stay in my cocoon and hope for the best.

Zero emotion OP. Frost has failed miserably. He is arguably the worst coach in Husker football history. His record speaks for itself but by all means, keep rationalizing excuses for failure.
there is no emotion in my post, just straight data and objective anlayisis. by the statistics and data he is NOT the worst in football history not even close...frost is still the man for the job no doubt in my mind

• Haha
Reactions: c_broadus
there is no emotion in my post, just straight data and objective anlayisis. by the statistics and data he is NOT the worst in football history not even close...frost is still the man for the job no doubt in my mind
The only data that matters is 4-8, 5-7, 3-5, 3-9. The rest is illusion.

The entire history of the program goes back many, many years.

At a minimum, Scott IS the lousiest winning coach at NU in 60 years.

My won/loss data on that is irrefutable, and factual.

I would guess, subject to being corrected, that 75% of the folks who post on here are holding their hopes on the new offensive assistants, not SF.

From the best to the worst Head Coaches at NU since 1961, in order:

Osborne
Devaney
Solich
Pelini
Callahan
Riley
Frost sucking hind teet

The only data that matters is 4-8, 5-7, 3-5, 3-9. The rest is illusion.

The entire history of the program goes back many, many years.

At a minimum, Scott IS the lousiest winning coach at NU in 60 years.

My won/loss data on that is irrefutable, and factual.

I would guess, subject to being corrected, that 75% of the folks who post on here are holding their hopes on the new offensive assistants, not SF.

From the best to the worst Head Coaches at NU since 1961, in order:

Osborne
Devaney
Solich
Pelini
Callahan
Riley
Frost sucking hind teet
Frost's time is far from over so its not fair to put him at the bottom yet. he should be somewhere in the middle until we have a full view of what he was able to accomplish

my order goes as such follows
Devaney
Osborne
Pelini
Frost (I do think he will eventually easily pass Pelini though)
Solich
Callahan
Riley

• Haha
Frost's time is far from over so its not fair to put him at the bottom yet. he should be somewhere in the middle until we have a full view of what he was able to accomplish

Devaney
Osborne
Pelini
Solich
Callahan
Riley
Has to be a troll

Frost has as many losing seasons on his resume at Nebraska than all those other coaches combined

Last edited:

Devaney
Osborne
Pelini
Solich
Callahan
Riley
I went strictly by their winning percentages. Frost clearly brings up the rear.
He will have to win 12 in a row just to get to 50% like Riley, and 17 in a row to reach Callahan's 27-22 record. The rest? Devaney, Osborne, Solich, Pelini won between 58 and 255 games.

At the VERY MINIMUM it would take SF 46 WINS just to reach Pelini's total.

I know you say you're a data guy, but every data point with Frost's first 4 years will work against you.

Has to be a troll

Frost has as many losing seasons on his resume at Nebraska than all those other coaches combined
Frost had to take over for Riley's total joke rosters, whereas Pelini got to take over Callahan's talented rosters. could frost drop on my list? good question.....I would say it's possible but unlikely, more likely that he passes Pelini

Has to be a troll

It's a slow day. Just want to see how many excuses he can come up with for a 15-27 coach. That's never won more than 2 games in a row at NU.

I went strictly by their winning percentages. Frost clearly brings up the rear.
He will have to win 12 in a row just to get to 50% like Riley, and 17 in a row to reach Callahan's 27-22 record. The rest? Devaney, Osborne, Solich, Pelini won between 58 and 255 games.

At the VERY MINIMUM it would take SF 46 WINS just to reach Pelini's total.

I know you say you're a data guy, but every data point with Frost's first 4 years will work against you.
but if (when in my opinion) frost turns it around he could be coaching here for 25 years. the high cieling and runway is what makes me think he ends up passing pelini over time in huskers fans eyes

• Haha
The only data that matters is wins and losses. Frost is the worst coach in modern Cornhusker history. He's now rivaling Jennings. Riley was better than Frost. Last year was all Frost. Can't blame Riley in Year 4. I know you want Frost to work. He's been a failure by any reasonable measure.

but if (when in my opinion) frost turns it around he could be coaching here for 25 years. the high cieling and runway is what makes me think he ends up passing pelini over time in huskers fans eyes
If Scott Frost averages 10-3 seasons for the next 23 years he will still have a lower winning percentage at N than Pelini.

Last edited:
But if (when in my opinion) Frost fails to turn it around he may be done coaching here is Year 5.

Frost's short term goal should be to get to .500. So far, that's been a tall order for him the first 4 years, no?

You do realize that SF has been a head coach for 6 years and had 5 losing seasons?

I'll be done now. When you talk to Scott this afternoon, tell him there are other's that question his ability to coach at this level.

theres more to life than just wins and losses
If I’m not mistaken that line is taken verbatim from the 2nd verse of the “Loser’s National Anthem” and is followed closely thereafter by the chorus

“Close … so close .. ever so close”

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: nu2u and kakdawg
I think, and I will be lit on fire for this, the lines biggest problem is their age. A lot of the starters are still young and do not have the strength yet that is required in the conference play. Also, with a lack of seniors to teach the younger players the techniques and what to look for, it will stunt their growth. With another year of conditioning and playing experience, they will be better. I know when I was 23-24 I was a hell of a lot stronger than at 21 and 22. I was stronger at 35 than I was at 24... Time will tell, till then I will stay in my cocoon and hope for the best.

I wish I thought it was just a strength thing. If I did I'd feel better Teddy? Maybe. But the rest I don't see it as a strength thing. Watching guys get whipped out of their stance too many times doesn't have much to sit with being strong.

Holla

Reactions: dinglefritz
I wish I thought it was just a strength thing. If I did I'd feel better Teddy? Maybe. But the rest I don't see it as a strength thing. Watching guys get whipped out of their stance too many times doesn't have much to sit with being strong.

Holla
theres fast twitch and slow twitch musculs so the two kind of go hand in hand

which is unfortunate i want the big red to win more than anyone but i can be patient at the same time the wins will come
Patience is for a 3-4 loss coach as you wait to see if they can get over the hump and win the division/conference. 3-4 wins for all four years is unheard of. Frost should have won more games every year with the talent he has had. Anything else is just excuses.

Patience is for a 3-4 loss coach as you wait to see if they can get over the hump and win the division/conference. 3-4 wins for all four years is unheard of. Frost should have won more games every year with the talent he has had. Anything else is just excuses.
im not saying he should have won more games, im saying he will win more games in the future if we all have patience for once

im not saying he should have won more games, im saying he will win more games in the future if we all have patience for once
Then going by that logic. Trev should restructure his contract. Base pay at a mill then bonuses per win. With an opportunity to make 4-5 mil per year. ANY other job you way under achieve you are canned.

id be fine with that but trev doesnt want to do that because then hes on the hook to pay Scott probably anywhere from $7-10 million bucks next year in all likely hood

If I’m not mistaken that line is taken verbatim from the 2nd verse of the “Loser’s National Anthem” and is followed closely thereafter by the chorus

“Close … so close .. ever so close”
We can dedicate all future moral victories to mavsker.

Holla
We are plagued with a bunch of slow-footed OL. Cam and Corcoran can move, but overall this last few years has shown the OL to be a bunch of plough horses.

theres fast twitch and slow twitch musculs so the two kind of go hand in hand
Just so you know, at birth each person has their own set of fast and slow twitch muscles. You can't increase the number of them. You can break your muscles down through hard lifting and basically tear little fibers and make them larger and more dense. But, you can't increase the number.

Reactions: mavsker
so many people let emotion cloud there judgment when it comes to HCSF. im a data guy so lets look at the numbers

opponent scoring 2018 31.3 2021 22.7 ppg.....HUGE improvement
opponent rush per attempt 2018 5 yards 2021 4.16....again.....HUGE improvement
oppoent pass per attempt 2018 6.71 yards 2021 6.51....not huge improvement but improvement none the less and not to shabby
fumbles 2018 28 (!) 2021 17....HUGE improvement
interceptions 2018 11 2021 10...sounding like a broken record here, MORE IMPROVEMENT
time of possession: 2018 27:43 2021 28:53 over a minute better of improvement
need i go on?
red zone attempts 2018 44 2021 53 improvement
source http://www.cfbstats.com/2021/team/463/index.html
by nearly all the available statistical evidence were improving each year. were special teams bad this year? granted but such things are easily fixed.
frost inherited a mess and as anyone with kids knows it takes time to clean up a mess but it is being cleaned up, per the data.
i stand with scott frost....do you?
No. We used to make a lot of sh*t out of Iowa because they used these meaningless statistics to justify their seven and eight win seasons.

I do however agree that keeping Scott Frost was a good idea by Trev. He got that asshat to take a substantial pay cut, slash his buyout, and implement the changes that Trev wanted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT