ADVERTISEMENT

Why is it so hard

It would not be hard if NU played smart disciplined football and got beat - yet we hold them to 250 yds and gain 433 and still lose - Its frustrating to watch this team and this set of coaches and the stupid mistakes
I would rephrase - it is frustrating to watch a QB make stupid mistakes over and over and over again, and know our talent at QB is so bad, we have no one better to call up. Face it, 3 - 4 games this year are solely on Tommy.

Reactions: husker2612
Good question! Interesting coming from a Mod. Sounds like the grapes soured pretty quickly with this one! The OP is a Mod with class.

When Iowa can show me any resemblance of sustained success then come at me otherwise enjoy your only undefeated season in over 100 years of playing football and stop calling out mods on the Husker board, k?

A win is a win and congrats to Iowa for getting it but..... It is a tough pill to swallow when Neb dominated every part of the game. Iowa did not look like the better team, they did not play better, they did not look like the number 4 team in the country. What they did do was unwrap the gift. Any fan, Iowa or Nebraska, could easily see that. Nebraska beat itself plain and simple. Yes agreed congrats to Iowa and best of luck the rest of the way,other teams will however not hand the win to them.

I am fairly certain Colin Cowherd will say the same thing on Monday as well. There are also about 4 other teams that played us this year that have said the same thing...or their fans have.

Theres no reason to bash Metal for his post or the other guy for his, its there view of the game and of course you guys have your view of it. Last night i think i was one of the first Huskers to congratulate Iowa on there win, i didnt throw in any excuses. But Metal and said poster is right. Tommy litterly threw the game away. In almost every aspect we where beating Iowa but the INTs is what beat us. The part thats really showing, outside the differences in yards, we lost to the 4th ranked team in the county by one touchdown while having 4 picks and one being a pick 6. Heres my question, how badly do we lose to Clemson, Alabama or any of the other top 6 teams if with threw that many picks, have that many penalties for that many yards? Im not trying to take away from Iowa, they took advantage of our bad choices and won. But i am doing my part to show what these guys are seeing because i do see the samething they do.

When Iowa can show me any resemblance of sustained success then come at me otherwise enjoy your only undefeated season in over 100 years of playing football and stop calling out mods on the Husker board, k?

Lol...You are a fan. Iowa owes you nothing and neither does Nebraska, you've done nothing to help or hinder either of these programs. Why do some fans not get this?

Reactions: huskerssalts
Lol...You are a fan. Iowa owes you nothing and neither does Nebraska, you've done nothing to help or hinder either of these programs. Why do some fans not get this?

Sorry your team lacks the tradition so much so that your fans feel like they are not part of the special season Iowa is having. Actually, that doesn't surprise me Iowa couldn't even sell out their senior day.

Nebraska fans are a part of our teams history and traditions. You don't understand that because quite frankly you've never been there.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Lets see in:
In rushing yrds
In passing yrds
In time of possetion
In 1st downs
In 3rd down conversions
The also dominated on penalties and turnovers. Those 2 stats are the ONLY reason Iowa won and still only manged to beat a 5-6 team by 8. Number #4 in the country lol please.

Iowa had more rushing yards, more yards per rush, similar yards per pass, more yards per play, and of course the big one, more points.

I don't read this board and post to give Iowa kudos. I am here because I love the Huskers and am looking for optimism in every single aspect I possibly can. This is a HUSKER board. If you don't love Nebraska and want the best for them then I say get lost. I will keep hoping for improvment and feeling positive about the improvment I have seen this season. Hope this is okay with you mods.
But you totally missed his point. He didn't say hate the Huskers or not look for optimism. He said why can't the "best fans in college football" congratulate Iowa on their victory. (Sorry, Randy, I added the quotes!) They won the game head-to-head. End of story, time to move on.

Reactions: unIowa
Why is it so hard? That's a good question. Another good question is why fans of other teams are allowed on this moderated board when they are here solely to pick a fight? Eliminate that problem and this thread is unnecessary. I recall years ago when members of various Husker boards had to log in on game day, specifically to avoid the two year olds from other fan sites.

Last edited:
Why is it so hard? That's a good question. Another good question is why fans of other teams are allowed on this moderated board.

It's fine as long as they are cool. Unfortunately for Hawkeye fans they can't help themselves and most of them have to act like the classless clowns that make up a majority of their fan base.

It's fine as long as they are cool. Unfortunately for Hawkeye fans they can't help themselves and most of them have to act like the classless clowns that make up a majority of their fan base.

You should see most of the Nebraska fans on the Iowa board. Let's not act like a handful of loudmouths are an accurate representation of an entire fanbase.

Reactions: leodisflowers
I don't follow the logic that says, "Iowa didn't really play better - they just took advantage of our multiple, stupid, costly mistakes."

It's as if costly, stupid mistakes have no bearing on which team "played better." Reminds me of a guy I used to play golf with who would repeatedly shoot 8-10 stokes higher than me. After every round it was the same story: "You're not really a better golfer than me. It was just the three-putts, poor iron shots and those two drives I hit out of bounds that cost me."

Iowa did not look like a top 4 team to me, but watching the game it was not hard to figure out which team came in 11-0 and which team pissed away games to the likes of Purdue and Illinois.

I don't read this board and post to give Iowa kudos. I am here because I love the Huskers and am looking for optimism in every single aspect I possibly can. This is a HUSKER board. If you don't love Nebraska and want the best for them then I say get lost. I will keep hoping for improvment and feeling positive about the improvment I have seen this season. Hope this is okay with you mods.
Love your kids, parents, wife, dog but your Football team? Might need to take a step back and reevaluate what love is. Just creepy.

Ok Hawkeye, that one i have to jump in on, i love my Huskers, too. Maybe that's the difference between Hawkeyes and Huskers fans. Pride, Love, loyalty and much more...win or lose, we back our team and we always show up to watch, support and scream for our Huskers. Maybe one day or year Iowa can have the same LOVE for there team. It doesn't make it creepy, maybe to a Hawkeye, but not a Husker fan, Bama fan, Sooner fan, USC fan and many others that have what we have.

Huge congrats to Iowa on being 12-0. They won a huge game yesterday even though it was against a 5-6 team. I know if's don't mean too much as if my grandma had balls she would be my grandpa. With that said, I really have high hopes for what this Nebraska team could do if they play with some smarts. Even the punter got a personal foul on a stupid tackle. MR really needs to put the hammer down on playing disciplined football. I think these games are harder to take as they are games we could have easily won had we taken care of the football and didnt make stupid penalties. When one of the best DB's in the country has a terrible game, you have to capitalize on that.

Again, Congrats to Iowa and their fans as it is an incredible ride. I liked what Ferentz had to say after the game when asked what he does next.. His answer "I don't know, I have never been around an undefeated team before".

As far as "a win is a win", people need to understand that a win isnt always a win in college football when it comes down to playing for the championship or a spot in the playoff picture. No matter what, if Iowa wins the B1G ccg, then they are in the playoff as they will finally have the BIG win that everyone is saying they dont have on their resume. But it will piss alot of them off if MSU wins big against PSU and they also jump the Hawks for the 4th place spot going into the CCG. So a win is not a win.

You are allowed to have your opinion, even if it is wrong.

There is a world of difference between you and the other mod in this thread.

I am fairly certain Colin Cowherd will say the same thing on Monday as well. There are also about 4 other teams that played us this year that have said the same thing...or their fans have.
Nebraska given about 4 of those games away. They didn't get dominated. They just shot themselves. Heck can probably pin at least 3 of the losses directly on Tommy. He has been the best defensive player for opposing teams.

The Nebraska program clearly has had more national prominence. You would have beaten Iowa like a drum from 1961 to 1980 when Fry came. I would have liked to have seen more games during the Fry era and from 2002 to when Nebraska came to the B1G when Ferentz had a pretty good sustained run, it might seem more like a worthy rivalry to Nebraska fans then.

I don't know if many now pay much attention to history but I wonder what the Iowa tradition might have been if Forest Evashevski who was a fantastic coach had not decided to retire from coaching at the ripe old age of 42 and go to the AD spot where he didn't appear to be that great at. In years 5-9 he had Iowa winning two league titles and tying for a 3rd and winning the two Rose Bowls they played in. They finished in the top 5 of the country 4 of those 5 years(including a #1 by the college football writers in 1958 which Wikipedia says is arguably the most prestigious poll at the time and who ranked after bowl games unlike the AP at the time).

The history of Iowa football may have been quite different if he coached until 60. If coaching would have been as financially rewarding in that time as it is now, Iowa probably would have had a pretty solid history.

A win is a win and congrats to Iowa for getting it but..... It is a tough pill to swallow when Neb dominated every part of the game. Iowa did not look like the better team, they did not play better, they did not look like the number 4 team in the country. What they did do was unwrap the gift. Any fan, Iowa or Nebraska, could easily see that. Nebraska beat itself plain and simple. Yes agreed congrats to Iowa and best of luck the rest of the way,other teams will however not hand the win to them.

We watched a different game, I guess. Iowa never trailed and I was never in fear that TA would build a comeback. That's how Iowa wins and it just infuriates the opposition. There's a reason he has led Iowa to five top 10 finishes in the past 15 years. Not many teams in the country can say that

You are allowed to have your opinion, even if it is wrong.

There is a world of difference between you and the other mod in this thread.

Multiple season ticket holders saying that Iowa fans at the game were the worst they have ever experienced is saying something because that means your fan base topped Colorado and Mizzou fans. That is not good company to be in.

The other mod in this thread is tired of dealing with the Iowa clowns that come over here too.

Iowa had more rushing yards, more yards per rush, similar yards per pass, more yards per play, and of course the big one, more points.
Ok I will give you that. IF you break it down per yards per play they are pretty equal. So lets go with that then. THEY ARE EQUAL. Should the #4 team not dominate a 5-6 team? These stats shouldn't be even close. The true test at how good Iowa really is, is when they actually play a good team. A Mich St, a Mich, an Ohio St. If they god forbid actually make it to the playoffs and have to play a top 5 team.

You should see most of the Nebraska fans on the Iowa board. Let's not act like a handful of loudmouths are an accurate representation of an entire fanbase.

You can be passionate about your team without being an asshat. I've posted over on the Iowa site and i try to be as polite as possible.

for posters here to simply say congratulations to Iowa on the win today and a great season instead of making dumb excuses? We got beat fair and square, if you can`t deal with that go do something else.

I think people are drawing the distinction
From getting beat by a better opponent and getting beat by your own horrific decisions and blown coverage.

Iowa needs to congratulate Tommy, danny l and our blown coverage for 28 of their points

Ok I will give you that. IF you break it down per yards per play they are pretty equal. So lets go with that then. THEY ARE EQUAL. Should the #4 team not dominate a 5-6 team? These stats shouldn't be even close. The true test at how good Iowa really is, is when they actually play a good team. A Mich St, a Mich, an Ohio St. If they god forbid actually make it to the playoffs and have to play a top 5 team.

Did you watch 2002 Ohio state? They barely won every game that year, even the national championship game. The only stat that matters is the final score

So your saying mich St is a good team and Iowa is not yet the huskers beat mich st and lost to Iowa OK

No, a TRUE test is a lot more than just one game. See you guys beating Michigan State. On one hand here you are saying Iowa and Nebraska are equal, and on the other you are saying we need to play a good team like Michigan State. Well, they lost to you guys. So what does that mean? You can't just look at one game, or a handful of stats. The whole season matters

Look at OSU back in 2002. They squeaked by EVERYONE, but ended up National Champs. For the most part, that's why I love college football so much. The whole season should matter, not just who gets hot at the end of the season (coughMarchMadnesscough)

A good comparison for Nebraska fans would be your 1993 team. They were 11-0, but the big 8 that year was pretty horrible that year, was it not? I could be wrong, but at the end of 11 games, you were 11-0 and had only defeated one? ranked team in Colorado. You had a couple of closes wins, too. I remember that year you beat Kansas by one point, and that's when Kansas football was .....well.....Kansas football.

Weren't you like a 19-point underdog against Florida St? And if not for a questionable call on a punt return, you would have won the national championship! Very similar to this Iowa team, in my opinion. Nobody gave Nebraska a snowball's chance in hell against Florida St., but they quickly proved they belonged.

You guys have won more than we have and so you should understand there's only one stat that matters, and that is the scoreboard.

And let's think about this: Nebraska outgained Iowa by 183 yards yesterday, ran almost 40? more plays from scrimmage, held the ball for almost 2/3 of the game, Iowa fumbled four times as a team (which is the same amount of fumbles combined in games 1-11 for Iowa), Iowa was 0-9 on 3rd downs (a big credit to Nebraska), and after all this....

There was not one single moment in the second half where Iowa was worried about winning this game. And yet some people argue that Iowa is not any good.

Some of your fanbase is in complete acceptance that Nebraska is no longer a dynasty of a program. Others, like quite a few on here, are in complete denial.

THE HERMENATOR

Reactions: gojojo
Did you watch 2002 Ohio state? They barely won every game that year, even the national championship game. The only stat that matters is the final score
Very true but did you notice the quality of teams they barely beat?
#10 Washington (25-7)
#17 Penn St (13-7)
#19 Minn (34-3)
#12 Mich (14-9)
#1 Miami (31-24)

Now Iowa
#19 Wisc (10-6)
#20 NW (40-10) Only impressive win of the season

Big difference in these 2 teams

So your saying mich St is a good team and Iowa is not yet the huskers beat mich st and lost to Iowa OK
Yes exactly what Im saying. Mich st has beat good teams this year. Caught a tough break otherwise would have won. Plus Neb played best game of year. Iowa has played nobodies and still can barely get a win. a 5-6 Nebraska gave the game to them on a silver platter and still couldn't not take advantage. Against any other top 5 team This game should have been a 3 or 4 td blow out.
I understand if doesn't matter at this point. If they go out and beat Ohio St, make it to playoffs, and win a NC everyone will think differently.

No, a TRUE test is a lot more than just one game. See you guys beating Michigan State. On one hand here you are saying Iowa and Nebraska are equal, and on the other you are saying we need to play a good team like Michigan State. Well, they lost to you guys. So what does that mean? You can't just look at one game, or a handful of stats. The whole season matters

Look at OSU back in 2002. They squeaked by EVERYONE, but ended up National Champs. For the most part, that's why I love college football so much. The whole season should matter, not just who gets hot at the end of the season (coughMarchMadnesscough)
As stated in a previous threat you can't compare these 2 teams. Yes they barely pulled out a few wins, but they played liked 5 or 6 ranked teams plus Miami at #1. Iowa as played 2 ranked teams. They destroyed teams they were suppose to. Iowas biggest wins were North texas by like 40 and NW by 30. All other games were close and squeaked out a win by the skin of their teeth. Like I said it really doesn't matter at this point. It will all be sorted out when they are forced to play a top 10 team next week. If they hold their own and win congrats to them. I was wrong

As stated in a previous threat you can't compare these 2 teams. Yes they barely pulled out a few wins, but they played liked 5 or 6 ranked teams plus Miami at #1. Iowa as played 2 ranked teams. They destroyed teams they were suppose to. Iowas biggest wins were North texas by like 40 and NW by 30. All other games were close and squeaked out a win by the skin of their teeth. Like I said it really doesn't matter at this point. It will all be sorted out when they are forced to play a top 10 team next week. If they hold their own and win congrats to them. I was wrong

Not really. They beat 7-6 Purdue(4-5 at the time) 10-6 after faking a field goal on 4th and 1. 7-7 Cincy team they beat by 4. And of course the OT win over a 5 win Illinois team in their second to last game. They were very lucky to finish undefeated that year, but that's kind of the point. They struggled every bit as much as Iowa has this year against similar opponents. It's easy for people to forget or not realize, Iowa hasn't trailed in the fourth quarter all year, and hasn't trailed at all in over a month and a half.

But like you said it doesn't really matter at this point.

As stated in a previous threat you can't compare these 2 teams. Yes they barely pulled out a few wins, but they played liked 5 or 6 ranked teams plus Miami at #1. Iowa as played 2 ranked teams. They destroyed teams they were suppose to. Iowas biggest wins were North texas by like 40 and NW by 30. All other games were close and squeaked out a win by the skin of their teeth. Like I said it really doesn't matter at this point. It will all be sorted out when they are forced to play a top 10 team next week. If they hold their own and win congrats to them. I was wrong[/QUOTE

Either you haven't watched many Iowa games or your aren't very educated in the game of football. Iowa has controlled every game since the Wisconsin game in early October. There has been no winning by the skin of our teeth. At no time was that game in doubt yesterday, or the week before, or the week before that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT