ADVERTISEMENT

Why don’t the players play harder for Riley

StrongArm517

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2005
dont they like him? You’d think if ur coaches job is on the line and you cared for him you would step up to help. This quitting seems historic. Has any team quit this bad before?

Is it lack of effort or are we just getting our butts whipped?

dont they like him? You’d think if ur coaches job is on the line and you cared for him you would step up to help. This quitting seems historic. Has any team quit this bad before?

Pelini had several games where the team quit. Usually against good completion though. Not Minnesota.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
You could see the players were done after we failed that early 4th down call. Everything changed on both sides of the ball at that point. Especially on the D-line. Mentally and physically soft team!

Did they quit or are they just drained from working their butts off to try an execute flawed philosophy and scheme that doesn't work. Hard to stay pumped thru utter futility

They quit because the coaches allow it. There is zero consequences from this coaching staff. Have a feeling back in the 90s you quit playing you didn't see the field again for a very long time. Plus you got an ass beating from the rest of the team. Just as anything in life if there are negative consequences you tend to try a bit harder.
I also think the players are not on board with this 3-4 D. Who knows maybe even dislike Diaco. He seems like a tool. Players won't play for a coach they dislike and disrespect.

Pelini had several games where the team quit. Usually against good completion though. Not Minnesota.

They didn't need to quit. They were wound so tight by Pelini's personality that it just took one bad thing for the pucker factor to kick in and it was all over.

Reactions: husker2612
They quit because the coaches allow it. There is zero consequences from this coaching staff. Have a feeling back in the 90s you quit playing you didn't see the field again for a very long time. Plus you got an ass beating from the rest of the team. Just as anything in life if there are negative consequences you tend to try a bit harder.
I also think the players are not on board with this 3-4 D. Who knows maybe even dislike Diaco. He seems like a tool. Players won't play for a coach they dislike and disrespect.
I think they liked Banker. Diaco not so much from what i can tell. We need to dump him now if we want to have any shot against Iowa.

Are you kidding me? How about when we gave up 400+ yards rushing to one player?
when a team is getting thumped it isn't unusual for the players to lose their edge. I believe the players have lost faith in the Riley and have quit playing for him. Not the same with Pelini as they could get thumpeed and the next week play their hearts out for the guy.

Have you been watching Husker football for the past ten years? I've seen a lot of quitting in that time frame. Couple of Bo's gems vs. Wisconsin come to mind.
There has been nothing like this. Nothing.
This is the lowest ever.

when a team is getting thumped it isn't unusual for the players to lose their edge. I believe the players have lost faith in the Riley and have quit playing for him. Not the same with Pelini as they could get thumpeed and the next week play their hearts out for the guy.

I disagree. We bounced back from Ohio State beatdowns the last couple years, but quit against them twice and quit today. Just like Pelini teams did over and over. Quitting is quitting, it doesn’t become “losing your edge” when someone else does it, it’s still quitting

There has been nothing like this. Nothing.
This is the lowest ever.

I think in some of the other extreme cases, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Wisconsin games etc.....you could point out how we didn’t match up and just had it coming. This is a game where the worst offense in the land looked godlike. We should have won on paper. Instead we got our ass completely handed to us by a crap team.

Players aren't stupid.
This staff sucks and doesn't put them into positions to succeed, then blames the players for it.

I think they like him but don't believe in him.

Who is the leader of the team, it should be a player or players. We have no leaders on this team at all. In the good yrs it was the players who lead the way!

I said it like a month ago that I was afraid of a 2007-ish monumental collapse. We are well on our way to just that.

No balls. No respect. Anti-Nebraska culture from within and fanbase that now loathes everything about the team

This has been a recurring theme here this century although it is far worse now than ever before. The present team is completely apathetic. Look at yesterday, we made a horrible Minnesota offense look like OSU.

When you have coaches that have no clue how to win or instill a winning culture what can we expect? Riley is a career 500 coach, Diaco is a complete joke, Cav may be the worst coach in college ball and the rest are staff robots.

There is no leadership on the team except for RS Spielman, that’s all we’ve got.

The hire of Riley was great for PR but has set us back another few years before we can even hope to compete with Minnesota, Purdue and Northwestern. We are so far behind OSU, Wiscy and Iowa there is no sense talking about that aspect yet.

Because we need a complete culture change. We haven't been a tough team mentally or physically since McBrides last year in 1999. The pussification of NU football is complete. Must get it fixed ASAP!!!

If that is true, then people on this board need to quit suggesting Craig Bohl as a viable HC candidate.

Have you seen our practices over the past three years? I am in contact with an Osborne era coach that still watches practices and he says it is soft.
Players aren't tough and thus play on Saturday as practices were during the week

Getting blowout by a top 10 team is not quitting....giving up 56 points to the worst offense in the league, that is quitting, either by staff, players, or both. You forget that the average staff spends 50 hours a week just on preparation, so players understand what is happening on every play. This team was not prepared for minnesota.

Maybe not at Pelini, maybe so.. regardless look at the final scores against Wisconsin and other games where we got demolished, the guys quit those games.
I don't think the Pelini teams ever quit. Against Wisconsin, the schemes were bad and some of the players didn't know what the he'll they were doing and Wisconsin took advantage of that. I don't even think Riley's teams have quit until the Minnesota game. Callahan's team definitely quit in 2007.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT