ADVERTISEMENT

Who to cheer for tonight - NDSU or sCUm?

I think you have to play under the assumption that CU will score on every position (not that they will but you have to play that way), which means no punting on 4th and short, no long FG attempts, no punting once you cross the 50 yard line.

NU will be in a weird spot, do you keep Nash and Robinson out there...vs a team that is not going to try an run the ball at all...or do you basically go out there with 3 DEs as your front 3 and get speed out there. If CU wants to try winning the game by running the ball, fine, let them try.

But having Nash and Robinson out there trying to put pressure on Sanders who will just side step or spin out of it, seems like a bad idea.

You are better off going with 3 DE's...2 Lbers and 6 DB types.

I bet we just rotate the two of them at NT and play the pass rushers at DE's.

• Love
Reactions: BTF69
If memory serves, NU did blow a couple coverages too. But I think they punted 3 or 4 times. If we force 3 or 4 punts next week and get 6-8 sacks, I just don't see a world where NU doesn't turn that into a W.
Rightfully, the offense has so many in a wait and see mode. We don't have to even ve really good, just not really bad and this is close. Be even good on Offense and it's not close.
last year against CU the spotlight was way, way, way too bright for our team

we weren't even close to ready

deer in headlights like you read about

we always blow coverages, miss tackles, miss big plays, f*ck up punts, miss FGs, etc.

maybe this year will be different. I have no clue what to think.

CU's best players looked like their best players last night. same guys who torched us, and we're starting basically all the same guys who got torched.

Our defense gave up 13 late into the 3Q. Hill had a huge blow coverage on a 3rd and long that really hurt, when we had them backed up in their own endzone. But it was our offense that let us down in that game. The constant TO's and 3 and out's put the defense in such a bad spot, that they just ran out of gas. But I don't believe they were torched by the CU offense. They held tough most pf the game, after being put in some very tough spots all night.

SS will get his #s. I just think NU can keep them under 24 with less than 2 turnovers. NU starts giving the ball away and bets off. CU failed to even get 1 first down. 3 or 4 times last year. Game was 13-7 with 10 min left in the 3rd and it was a Bad NU team.
I'm tired of the Saturday Gut punch too but we are better than CU. If not MR isn't the coach we hoped.

Our defense gave up 13 late into the 3Q. Hill had a huge blow coverage on a 3rd and long that really hurt, when we had them backed up in their own endzone. But it was our offense that let us down in that game. The constant TO's and 3 and out's put the defense in such a bad spot, that they just ran out of gas. But I don't believe they were torched by the CU offense. They held tough most pf the game, after being put in some very tough spots all night.
sanders went 31-42 for 393 yards and 2 TDs against our D last year.

if that's not torched I don't know what is.

We may not fare any better but the NFL talent at NDSU has been slipping. That is not a team with guys like Nick LeDucia, Kyle Emmanuel, or Jabril Cox. Defense had a lot of guys that are older but hadn't started a ton of games. Athlete for athlete it's no comparison. They didn't have a Tommi Hill, Nash, Lenhardt, or Princewill.

I was also encouraged by how easily NDSU moved the ball. That was surprising, even though NDSU is usually pretty efficient.
Agreed. I didn't see anyone on NDST that will be playing on Sundays.

They have burners at WR and a QB that can deliver the ball.
last year against CU the spotlight was way, way, way too bright for our team

we weren't even close to ready

deer in headlights like you read about

we always blow coverages, miss tackles, miss big plays, f*ck up punts, miss FGs, etc.

maybe this year will be different. I have no clue what to think.

CU's best players looked like their best players last night. same guys who torched us, and we're starting basically all the same guys who got torched.
I just didn't see a game where they got torched. I saw a blown coverage for a big play and a 1 play TD when we were put in a bad situation with a 30 yard field. I know what the score was, I just saw a game where our qb gave it away. I don't think DR is that guy.

Reactions: Laner2

OK. What I said is still true. We held them to 136 yards and 13 points in the first half despite the offense having 3 TO's. I think it was clear, the defense ran out of gas, and I think that was due to being put in such bad spots by the offense. Hopefully, that won't be the case this year. Now, carry on with your CU/Prime lovefest.

Reactions: king_kong_
OK. What I said is still true. We held them to 136 yards and 13 points in the first half despite the offense having 3 TO's. I think it was clear, the defense ran out of gas, and I think that was due to being put in such bad spots by the offense. Hopefully, that won't be the case this year. Now, carry on with your CU/Prime lovefest.
I’m merely recounting what took place

I am sorry if this offends

It takes some amazing mental gymnastics to try and pretend that SS did not have an amazing game against NU last year.

So am I. But I am actually recounting it.

1st Half CU Offense:
Punt
Punt
Punt
Punt
FG (6 yard drive)
TD (30 yard drive)
FG

But sure our defense didn't stop them at all and didn't wear down or anything.
College football games are 4 quarters long last I checked

They completed 73% of passes for nearly 400 yards against basically the same defense last year

If anything our secondary got slower this offseason, especially on the outside

We will need to control the ball and clock. Our OL is the weakest unit on the team. We will see what gives because something will have to.

College football games are 4 quarters long last I checked

They completed 73% of passes for nearly 400 yards against basically the same defense last year

If anything our secondary got slower this offseason, especially on the outside

We will need to control the ball and clock. Our OL is the weakest unit on the team. We will see what gives because something will have to.

This is why it is completely pointless to engage you. Ignore what other posters are actually saying and keep talking the same shit. Lesson learned..... again.

This is why it is completely pointless to engage you. Ignore what other posters are actually saying and keep talking the same shit. Lesson learned..... again.
I’m not disagreeing with you. Jeez, man, unbunch your panties.

We made them punt in the first half. Yay!

Then we got our doors blown off. 400 yards, 73% completions, zero turnovers forced, etc.

It was probably for all the reasons you listed plus the fact they had better players and were far more ready for the moment.

We had no chance last year. Hopefully this year is different.

Everyone here would love to see Rhule prove he’s a better coach than theirs by beating them finally.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Okay top kong but Nebraska inept on offense the first half contributed to Colorado having more success in the second…
Now this year is in Lincoln, it’s at night and Nebraska isn’t the same team they were last season..

Truth.

So am I. But I am actually recounting it, not just trying to spout off..

1st Half CU Offense:
Punt
Punt
Punt
Punt
FG (6 yard drive)
TD (30 yard drive)
FG

But sure our defense didn't stop them at all and didn't wear down or anything.
Yeah we definitely shut them down the first quarter then fell apart. If we can score early (I think we will) then we should win this game by 8-14 points.

he looked way bigger/better than last year

completed a ton of balls with pressure in his face

going to need a monster game from Butler, Princewill, Williams. Robinson is so painfully slow I'm not sure how much we can even have him out there

they just won a tough game against a tough, well coached team - exactly what everyone here desperately hoped was impossible
Definitely put on some weight, which is smart considering the amount of hits he will likely take. Some due to the offensive line, but also because it's obviously his playing style to hang in there until the last moment. He is talented, tough physically, and isn't afraid to take some punishment if it gives his receivers an extra second to find some space.

He looked a step slower with the extra weight, but maybe that's simply because he never really tried to take off and run.

If we can get consistent pressure with only 3-4 pass rushers I feel good about the outcome. If we have to blitz to get pressure there will be some big plays and it will be a stressful game. Either way... you can't take your foot off the gas against this team. USC vs. CU last year is a great example of that.

Reactions: king_kong_
So I looked it up. Last year CU had the ball for 30:19 and NU had it for 29:41

NU rushed for 222 yards and CU for 55 yards.

Not sure the "worn down" excuse is really valid.

Definitely put on some weight, which is smart considering the amount of hits he will likely take. Some due to the offensive line, but also because it's obviously his playing style to hang in there until the last moment. He is talented, tough physically, and isn't afraid to take some punishment if it gives his receivers an extra second to find some space.

He looked a step slower with the extra weight, but maybe that's simply because he never really tried to take off and run.

If we can get consistent pressure with only 3-4 pass rushers I feel good about the outcome. If we have to blitz to get pressure there will be some big plays and it will be a stressful game. Either way... you can't take your foot off the gas against this team. USC vs. CU last year is a great example of that.
Cu made a late push against USC because the Trojans were snapping the ball with 15 plus seconds on the play clock. They should have applied more pressure to the gas and snapped at 3 then that would have never happened.

How many times did we give the ball to them in our own territory?

How many snaps per team?

It's not an "excuse;" it's how the game played out. Knowing why or how something happened isn't excuse-making; it's how you prevent it from happening again.

Against a team that snaps the ball quick and plays in space, we need to control the clock, being even 50/50 in TOP in that scenario is going to be a problem (especially playing there).

Our offense put our defense in a tough spot last year. If we want our defense to hold up, we need to make sure we don't do that again. I don't see how anyone who watched that game could argue that.

Do you honestly think that is even remotely the same thing?
frankie shaw smilf GIF by Showtime

Reactions: leodisflowers
It's not an "excuse;" it's how the game played out. Knowing why or how something happened isn't excuse-making; it's how you prevent it from happening again.

Against a team that snaps the ball quick and plays in space, we need to control the clock, being even 50/50 in TOP in that scenario is going to be a problem (especially playing there).

Our offense put our defense in a tough spot last year. If we want our defense to hold up, we need to make sure we don't do that again. I don't see how anyone who watched that game could argue that.
I agree. Being worn down in the high altitude makes much more sense than the defense forgetting how to play for some reason.

Reactions: Laner2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT